April 16, 2014 | 1538 users online

Conditioner - LUSH - Retread

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by tifanimarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I do not have a Lush store close by, so when I came across one in Chicago, I was thrilled! After talking to one of the girls that worked there (the staff is super friendly by the way) she recommended I try this conditioner. Honestly, for being a heavy conditioner and expensive I had high hopes. I really don't feel like my hair is soft when I rinse this out, my hair doesnt feel bad by any means when I blow dry and style it, but I was just not impressed. I really wanted to like this product but it just didnt do it for me personally!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Xusha2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is such a great conditioner, I don't really understand why it has been getting so much criticism on here. I've only used it 2 times but I already love it! It's quite heavy and really moisturising. I dye and straighten my hair so it's not in the best condition, but now the end's look really healthy and really smooth. It really relaxes my hair, and I will be using it about once a week with a clarifying shampoo as a pick me up for my hair. Regarding the price, I have used this twice and the tub looks brand new, because, unless you have really long hair, you don't really need a lot with this product, a little goes a long way. I believe this tub could last me a good 4-6+ months, so that would work out at about 2 a month, which really isn't expensive when you think of it that way. This conditioner doesn't really feel like a normal conditioner to me, because it doesn't make me hair feel super smooth and silky when I put it on my hair while it's wet, so don't be tricked into putting loads of it on because you cant feel it in your hair. You will really see the results once you dry you hair. It does smell strongly of melons/parma violets when you first put it on but I really like that smell, and it doesn't smell very strong once I wash and dry my hair because I put hairspray in it which smells different. But you do get a small scent left over, which I think is nice and refreshing.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2012 6:07:00 AM More reviews by fffffffffffffffffffff

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

As most people have already said - Lush products are very expensive in regards to what they do (that is, not much). I've been using Lush only products for the past 3 months now, including this conditioner, and really, my hair is neither worse nor better off, which has left me disatissfied considering I paid about 5x more for a tiny tub of this than I would for a large bottle of regular drugstore conditioner! My hair is very thick and fairly course as the result of several years of dyeing it a darker brown. It's not particularily damaged as I havent dyed it in over a year and rarely use heat styling tools, but I always want something to turn my hair into a soft pillow cloud rather than a wiry witch's barnet!

The conditioner itself is very thick and smells like parma violets. I've used it as a regular conditioner and as a deep conditioner. There's nothing more I can say about it because the results are nothing special, if not worse than your average cheap tresemme conditioner.

After a while I got sick of it and bought herbal essences dazzling shine conditioner instead and my hair looked magnificient! And it cost me 8 less!

I understand the appeal of Lush but ultimately, no. They use natural ingredients but they use it alongside other non-naturally occuring chemicals - ones that are non-irritant, yes, but nevertheless - it's not worth it. Either go for a synthetic drugstore conditioner that actually works and is economic, or go for an all-natural system of conditioning with either coconut oil or olive oil. To me, Lush is just a very successful marketing campaign.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by TheMoonBunny

My hair: fairly normal, wavy, brunette, damaged ends, sometimes problems w/ product buildup

I've been using Retread for about a year now. One pot lasts me 3-4 months usually. I wash every other day, and I usually only apply it just above the ears and below. I have long hair.

It seems to be doing its job. My hair is moisturized, and I don't have any split ends anymore.

I feel very noncommital about Lush's hair products in general. The ones that do work for me seem to work just as well as an average drugstore brand. They don't do anything amazing or make me look like a Pantene Pro V girl, you know? I've avoided drugstore brands for a while due to the chemicals, but I may revert to Biolage soon. I feel like my hair was shinier then.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2012 4:38:00 AM More reviews by jetdelumiere

I got this as a sample, and i wasn't impressed at all, you could buy any drugstore conditioner that will work much better than this.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Mellieb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I hated Retread. I have dry/damaged/thick/frizzy hair and found it really didn't do much for me. I was still left with dry/frizzy hair after use. I'm no stranger to organic/sls & paraben free hair care so I know to expect that it will not give the same slip. Retread leaves my hair a mess that is difficult to detangle. It just did not work for my hair and I would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2012 5:10:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tried a couple of the bar conditioners and just couldn't get them to work for me (though the bar shampoos I had no trouble with). I was talking to a Lush girl in the store one day about what non-bar conditioners she would recommend and this came up.

I have naturally medium-blond hair with natural red undertones. A year or so ago, I decided I wanted to go dark with a very dark brown dye, later adding purple to the bottom layers. After a few months, I was getting irritated with having to re-dye the roots every couple weeks (my natural colour is so much lighter, it was REALLY obvious when even the smallest amount of growth would come in), and decided to go back to my lighter colour.

Silly me, I decide "I can do this myself." A couple strippers and a bleach job later (and lots of toning and new growth), my hair is starting to get back to it's natural colour. However, all the chemicals had not been kind to my hair. There was a lot of breakage and frizz, and it was more flat than it had ever been.

After telling the girl all this, she recommended trying out a tub of Retread. I was kind of skeptical, so I bought the smallest option the store carried.

The first time I used it, I was surprised it didn't make my hair feel as "slick" as a normal conditioner. Remembering what the girl had said about it containing a bunch of yogurt, I figured I would wait to judge until my hair was dried normally.

Very impressed. After just one use, my hair was softer, shinier and much less frizzy. The only downside I found to this is that it doesn't seem to last. For me, when I stopped using it for maintenance once a week, my hair started to revert back to it's old ways.

One thing to add is that it won't feel like normal conditioner in your hair (restoring and building protein for healthy hair is the main goal of this product), so you may actually be using too much to make it "feel" like you have product in your hair. You won't even feel much of a difference when you wash it out, but once it starts to dry, you start to see what it does for you.

I might try this again, but for the price, I will keep looking for something that gives more permanent results.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Missapoo2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Even though i find it pretty expensive, i would repurchase it. I bought this about 1 month ago and im already half through it, using it daily (or everytime i wash my hair) I love how it makes my hair shinier, softer and frizz free. When you first put it in your hands it seems thick but when spread on your hair it feels light weight which i love, but can sometimes trick me into using more than i need. I use about a half a palm for my long curly/wavy hair. Doesnt seem to build up on my hair! however, i usually use very thick conditioners and they dont build up or make my hair oily. The smell grew on me, but now i love it!
PROS
moisturizing
healing
defrizzer
thick

CONS
pricey
need to use a lot

I would suggest this for anyone who has damaged or curly hair for a daily use, and once or twice a week for normal to fine hair

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2012 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Kiabiah

- Like almost any other Lush product it's rather pricey, but my black tub almost lasted 6 months with once a week usage ( I switch)
- Packaging is OK; typical Lush black tub
- I thought the smell to be quite nice, not overpowering so. A fruity / smokey mellon-y scent.
- This is a quite heavy duty conditioner, so don't use too much! Otherwise you'll end up with a sticky/waxy feeling. I mostly liked this conditioner and will repurchase but will alternate with another because this conditioner is prone to build up.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Xiaored

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have dry hair that has crazy damage. This product helped to restore the moisture back to my hair. I used it for one week and then went to see my hair dresser. She could not believe the difference. We have tried everything and spent all of my money. This product is not as expensive as some but it is not cheap. It does not feel heavy, but does build up. I used this as a daily conditioner leaving it on as long as possible. I think everyday might be too much, maybe every other wash. I will be buying this again for sure.