July 28, 2014 | 1770 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 8:32:00 AM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just got this powder and I already love it. I bought it mainly to set undereye concealer. But this morning I just tested it out by applying it very lightly over my foundation in the T zone. I didn't think anything of it until I got to work just now, and looked in a mirror. OMG my skin looks FLAWLESS. I mean it looks airbrushed! It doesn't take much at all to make your skin look good. I am super pale and I still think it brightened my undereye area. Not really a fan of the packaging, some of it always seem to come out, even after the lid is on tightly. Best product I've bought in a while.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by babeybearz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this, but it's definitely nothing spectacular. It really does give a noticeable brightening effect when I use it under my eyes, but I only notice it in the first minute after I put it on and after that I forget about it forever. I never notice my Bobbi Brown corrector creasing, so I suppose I can attribute that to using this product, but I can't be sure (maybe I'll try wearing it under one eye and the other without it and do a comparison at the end of the day). I also don't like that it stains my makeup brush a white color, although that's just a minor complaint because it washes out. All in all, this product is alright... expensive, but it does something that none of my other products will do (brighten) so I'll probably continue to buy it. I think this one jar will probably last FOREVER though since you need so little of it. Definitely give it a try though. :)

UPDATE 4/21 - I just wanted to update that I've now switched over completely to using Benefit's Powderflage instead of the Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. I find that the #1 thing I like better about the Powderflage is that it has less of a WHITE look after you put it on. Maybe that sounds weird, but what I mean is that it still lightens and brightens up the under eye area just as well as the Laura Mercier, but since the powder is pink (instead of white) it has more of a natural brightening effect and just doesn't have that white tone to it. I also think it doesn't settle into fine lines quite so much as the Laura Mercier powder. When I use the Powderflage, I see a noticeable difference every time and it's always pleasing. I will most likely swap the Secret Brightening Powder and I will definitely continue using the Powderflage instead.

UPDATE 12/21/13 - Still using the Powderflage regularly as part of my makeup routine and I like it much better than the Laura Mercier brightening powder. Would highly recommend the Benefit Powderflage for this type of product!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 4:04:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I wanted to like this. Really bad. I've tried it, given it up, tried it again... and I just never reach for it. I don't like the texture at all. it's SCRATCHY. and i don't find it does anything for me. : (

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by SleepyHeadphones

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

The reason why I gave it a 4 is because this can last you years and does a good job of brightening your under eyes. I did find that my eyes would crease as the day wore one but this can be fixed if you tear a tissue in half and press it on your under eye makeup (before using the powder). This allows the extra moisture to be absorbed and solves your creasing problems. You can also dab setting spray three times. First time is before applying under eye makeup, then after you've applied (which is before you would apply a setting powder of course) and lastly after applying the powder. Do this and I guarantee your under eye creasing problems will be solved! I learned this trick off youtube lol and the guy is gossmakeupartist. He's got the best makeup tips, I don't know what I've been doing before I watched his videos!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by vuvie

I have this in #2. Almost forgot about it since I don't use it much. No idea how to use it without getting crepey under my eyes.

Tried patting under my eye, still feels like reverse panda with enhanced wrinkles.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2013 6:32:00 AM More reviews by lambentflame1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW, this is what I have been looking for to set my Bobbi Brown corrector !!! Previous to using secret brightening powder I was using BB loose powder & always ended up with concealer looking cakey, settling into lines & yellow looking. Well not with this beauty - I only wish I had not waited so long. I think the key is to use tiny amounts & add more if you need to. Will be buying some for my Mum !

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by susru

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It is good and stays long but after using for a week I developed some dry rash. It made my skin very dry and itchy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by NatalieMae89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my all time favorite makeup products. If you love under eye brightening then you will die over this.

Laura Mercier makes a partner product with this which is the secret under eye brightening pen.

The idea is that you use the pen first, which is clickable - which then disperses product onto a brush applicator. I will do a separate review on this, but basically I'm not the hugest fan. I hate those applicators, I think they eat product - but you can read my full review on that product elsewhere.

The brightening powder is unlike any other. If you LOVE the under eye brightening you see on the red carpet and in photo shoots, I gauruntee this is the product the MUA is using. It photographs beautifully and just looks amazing.

It's a loose powder, so tricky packaging. I'm not sure what it is about the packaging, but my lid never sits tight enough so I know I've lost product from that - also be careful about laying it on it's side, I definitely get fallout on the rest of my product. Saying this, the longevity of this product is AMAZING! I've easily had mine for a year and a half, use it about 2-3 times a week, and I still have so much left over. I predict I'll need to purchase a new one in maybe 6 more months. So 2 years lifespan on a product is amazing!! The price - whatever it is, I don't remember is totally worth it.

I recommend this product to all my friends and family - it's my secret weapon!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by lauralei

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I can see how this might be an awesome product if you don't have super fair skin. But, I do.
I've been using it after I'm done with my foundation and concealer, to set my under eye concealer and brighten that area. It works great for setting, but doesn't brighten at all, which I guess is because my skin is already so white.
SO, if you're pale I wouldn't recommend it...you can use a regular, less expensive powder to set your concealer. If you have olive or darker skin, this might be great for you.
If you're pale and you just love playing around with a million products, have at it. It works very well as an under eye powder. My concealer lasts longer than without it, and my mascara doesn't migrate to below my eye.However, I won't be repurchasing since I'm pretty sure I can get the same results with the MAC powder I use on the rest of my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 1:00:00 AM More reviews by artemistzitzikilakis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing. It should make wrinkles look more prominent, but it doesn't! And what a dif in how long my concealer lasts on, at least three times as long. This is a gem, if you have serious problems with dark undereyes, invest in this.