November 29, 2014 | 1534 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by chechi

I have this in number 2. It is meant for the under eyes... but I actually use it all over my face as a setting powder. Since the powder is very finely milled I don't look like a disco ball after (I've checked my face in sunlight). IMO, you don't need another setting powder if you have this product especially if you have dry skin. The packaging sucks. There is a sifter - but the container can get very messy; it is not travel friendly at all... since there are so many (less expensive) setting powders out there, I don't believe this is a necessary purchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I frickin love this product! This is my new powder to set my under eyes with! It doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't crease or settle into fine lines. I apply this with either a damp beauty blender or a fluffy brush, like a mac 224. Definitely would repurchase!

Edit (9/24/13):
I use this over Mac's pro longwear concealer. I apply with a real techniques setting brush. No matter what foundation shade I'm in, this goes perfectly with whatever color I am. Definitely would still repurchase!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by husseyc3

I absolutely love this product. I apply it to my t-zone area (over my ysl touche ecalte concealer) with a mac 224 flluffy brush. It really perfects my skin and makes my large pores look invisible. The sparkles are very subtle but give your face a beautiful natural glow. The price is reasonable because a little product goes a very long way. I've used it daily for over a year and still have half left. I will definitely repurchase. This is a must have for people with large pores!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

36 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by becktasm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Does a good job of setting my under eye concealer without drying out my skin. The shimmer is subtle. Can't say it makes THAT much of a difference, but it does what it's supposed to. I apply it with a fluffy blending brush. I can't imagine ever running out but if I do, I will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by materialface

I purchased this a few years ago. repurchased it one more time before i didn't bother buying agian. With that said, this is a fairly good product for ladies who have extremely dark hereditory dark circles and under eye area. This is a finely milled powder with some particles that create a sheen under the eyes to make them appear more awake and brighter. I'm sold on the idea and concept of this because of my dark circles. the powder really set my concealer and it completely softened my under eye area. this helped my concealer not to crease. this comes in a small tub but u really only need a bit for each use since your only covering a small area.

People who don't have issues with dark circles do NOT need this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by loveableqtpie212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far, this is one of the best powders I've tried for setting my concealer. I'm nc42 and use it in shade #2. It's finely milled and has very very fine shimmers that give a slight glow. The only way I can see the shimmer is in direct sunlight, and even then it is very faint, doesn't look like shimmer unless you look very closely. I don't notice a whole lotta brightening compared to a regular setting powder, it's a subtle effect. Overall the powder gets the job done and keeps my concealer in place. I will repurchase if I don't find something better. I've been using it for 4 months so far and still have a lot left so it will be a while before I'll need to search for something else.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 8:32:00 AM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just got this powder and I already love it. I bought it mainly to set undereye concealer. But this morning I just tested it out by applying it very lightly over my foundation in the T zone. I didn't think anything of it until I got to work just now, and looked in a mirror. OMG my skin looks FLAWLESS. I mean it looks airbrushed! It doesn't take much at all to make your skin look good. I am super pale and I still think it brightened my undereye area. Not really a fan of the packaging, some of it always seem to come out, even after the lid is on tightly. Best product I've bought in a while.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by babeybearz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this, but it's definitely nothing spectacular. It really does give a noticeable brightening effect when I use it under my eyes, but I only notice it in the first minute after I put it on and after that I forget about it forever. I never notice my Bobbi Brown corrector creasing, so I suppose I can attribute that to using this product, but I can't be sure (maybe I'll try wearing it under one eye and the other without it and do a comparison at the end of the day). I also don't like that it stains my makeup brush a white color, although that's just a minor complaint because it washes out. All in all, this product is alright... expensive, but it does something that none of my other products will do (brighten) so I'll probably continue to buy it. I think this one jar will probably last FOREVER though since you need so little of it. Definitely give it a try though. :)

UPDATE 4/21 - I just wanted to update that I've now switched over completely to using Benefit's Powderflage instead of the Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. I find that the #1 thing I like better about the Powderflage is that it has less of a WHITE look after you put it on. Maybe that sounds weird, but what I mean is that it still lightens and brightens up the under eye area just as well as the Laura Mercier, but since the powder is pink (instead of white) it has more of a natural brightening effect and just doesn't have that white tone to it. I also think it doesn't settle into fine lines quite so much as the Laura Mercier powder. When I use the Powderflage, I see a noticeable difference every time and it's always pleasing. I will most likely swap the Secret Brightening Powder and I will definitely continue using the Powderflage instead.

UPDATE 12/21/13 - Still using the Powderflage regularly as part of my makeup routine and I like it much better than the Laura Mercier brightening powder. Would highly recommend the Benefit Powderflage for this type of product!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 4:04:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I wanted to like this. Really bad. I've tried it, given it up, tried it again... and I just never reach for it. I don't like the texture at all. it's SCRATCHY. and i don't find it does anything for me. : (