September 18, 2014 | 1606 users online

Treatments (Face) - Renova - Renova Rx cream

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2008 4:33:00 PM More reviews by pammycurt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am only 21 but my Dermatologist gave me a bunch of retinoid samples to try because I wanted to improve my pores/blackheads. I chose Renova because I have fair, sensitive skin and it seemed more gentle than Retin-a or Tazorac. I gradually started using it more and more as time went by and now I use it every night. At first I did experience major dryness and flakes. I was able to control that by using a few different moisturizing products as well as a glycolic wash. I am VERY PLEASED with Renova! As a young person, I don't have any wrinkles. But like my Derm said, I probably won't get any since I started Renova early. Most importantly, my blackheads/pores have been significantly reduced. My skintone is much 'creamier' and former acne scars are still fading. The only downside for me is that since my skin is so fair/sensitive, I have flushing problems. My face gets red very easily as it is, so by using the Renova I have intensified that problem of mine. My aesthitician was sweet though and said 'well you'll never have to wear blush!'. Bottom Line: I think that Renova is a good choice to treat acne problems for younger women with more sensitive skin AND a great product for treating wrinkles. YAY!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 3:06:00 AM More reviews by kingspanky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This has made a real difference in the quality of my skin. I'm 34, but smoke, and had started noting some pretty deep smile lines and lines around my mouth... I've been using the 0.05 (?) for about a year. I don't know why people would try Green Cream or something like that when you can get this prescription product so cheaply online... I bought this from MedsMex.com for about $13... at that price I've been putting it on my neck for turkey neck avoidance too.

Also: I have super sensitive skin and had to work up to this, but found at first that using the lowest dose (.025?) every third day, then a month later every second day, then up the dose... the key is to be very slow in titrating up and understand you're going to peel for about a month. OH--and wear sunscreen, and don't even think about tanning your face. Had a major disaster last summer vacation.

PPS: will inflame acne a bit at first but (for me at least) really helps it in the long run. Just be patient :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2008 5:43:00 PM More reviews by sweetgirl7

this is something I can say works and makes me skin silky smooth glowing and I just love everything about renova. This does not dry my skin out. I am only 31 but I get comments all the time about my skin and people think I look super young. I will use this faithfully every night for the rest of my life :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2008 12:09:00 PM More reviews by DerekFinn

Do you have to wear Sunscreen in the daytime when you use Renova?

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by keruchina

04/01/08
I am going to keep updating this review as I continue using the product. I ordered the Galderma .025% Tretinoin cream through medsmex.com and have been using it for just over two weeks now. I am 26 with fair, freckled skin and have been applying sunscreen religiously since I was 16. I am using Renova as a wrinkle preventative because I read that using Renova preventively in your twenties is more effective than starting to use it later on. My skin is dry for a twenty something and the first couple of weeks have been a bit rough for me. I have a lot of peeling and redness on my chin. The rest of my face has mostly stopped peeling, but it stings when I sweat and when I apply sunscreen. I haven't seen any results yet, but I will update at the 2 month mark and the 6 month mark.
ETA- 05/15/08
My skin has finally stopped peeling and looks very healthy! I experienced bouts of peeling for the first month or so, especially around my nose and cheeks. It doesn't look much different than when I started using Renova.
ETA- 7/9/08
My skin is starting to look visibly improved. The discolored, sun damaged spot under my eye is beginning to fade and the super fine lines around my eyes and on my forehead seem to be diminishing.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2008 6:39:00 PM More reviews by LilShortie

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

gah, sorry to ruin the good reviews... I have been using Tretinoin for 2 years and have just quit. My under eye lines got worse and lines on sides of my face appeared. I was hoping it would go away, but it didn't and got worse. After stopping, my skin is looking a bit better, more even and I put Vaseline on my lines as well, hoping to plump up the skin. I am pretty sad over the turn out. I'm 30 and I feel I look older now :-( Glad it works for most at least...

EDIT: I now use it once a week, and my skin is back to normal, and this seems to work well, perhaps my skin just doesn't tolerate it very well. But once a week works. I'l up the rating one lippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by ksriches

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At 43, with decades of stupid sun exposure showing on my fair face, this is THE ONE PRODUCT I will never do without! Rode out the first 2 weeks of peeling, redness, and irritation and am now reaping the benefits! Smoother skin, less pigmentation, more plumpness. I just need to be diligent about wearing it every nite. Also, you ABSOLUTELY must wear at least spf 15 sunscreen liberally anywhere you have used the Renova. Do not slack on this, or you will severely damage your skin. I use LaRoche Posay Anthelios, works great. On my second tube of generic Renova, this time purchased for $12.50 for 30 grams, form www.medsmex.com. Paid $100+ before from Costco. Medsmex was reliable, took about 2 weeks for order to arrive.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 8:59:00 PM More reviews by bobsy

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for 0.025% Retacnyl sold by MedsMex.com as Renova. I have super dry skin and previously tried Green Cream (3 & 6) and the mildest Vivant retinoid. It was obvious that retinoids were good for my DSPW + breakouts skin, but in hindsight those other formulations were far too drying. My face became a peeling flaking maniac, wearing foundation was a saga that involved much planning and exfoliation, it was all too hard. I needed a really emollient retinoid if I was to continue. Enter Renova. I started really slowly, and had a major purging period which scared me, I thought the product itself must be breaking me out. It wasn't the case, but for a while there it seemed like it! Now it keeps my breakouts at bay and speedily heals any blemishes that do pop up.

I have been using it mixed in with moisturiser for a gentler formulation, and save full-strength Renova for dabbing on any breakouts. I find using full-strength Renova all over my face to be too drying for me, but I do have extremely dry skin.

My skin is more sensitive than when I don't use a retinoid, but for me the benefits far outweigh the negatives. If my skin needs a day off, I do that, but this stuff is gentler than others I used in the past. I'm teaming this with a very mild, non-irritating skin care regime - using the Renova as the main skincare active - using a gentle cleanser, and Cetaphil cream on the nights I'm not using the Renova. I use an unscented sunscreen during the day.

Really affordable from medsmex and I'll be using it forever if I can. I'd love to provide an ingredients lists but there is none on the packaging and the company wasn't able to provide one either. For sensitive peeps, note that this particular product (Retacnyl) definitely contains no fragrance.

The tubes I bought had an expiry date of March 09, so the stock is current.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2007 9:32:00 AM More reviews by gwennw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

You know this is a good product when every doctor, PA and nurse in my dermatologist office uses and recommends it. Personally, I have been using it about 6-7 years. My skin is a little sensitive to it (it causes minor peeling on my face), so I have learned how to make it work for me. First, I never use Renova in the summer. I live in Atlanta, and play tennis, and no matter how much sunblock I wear, it is too much sun exposure for a Renova user. Second, I use it a maximum, four times a week. Any more, and my face gets way too flaky.

Once I figured out the rules of use that work for me, I was on my way. Renova has kept my skin virtually wrinkle free (I am 39, combination skin, wear SPF 15 almost every day). It had kept my skin tone even enough that I do not have to wear foundation everyday, just a little concealer. My complextion is healthy, glowing, pink, rosy, soft, and the texture is smooth. It has helped to fade old acne marks (the dark spots). My skin looks the same now, as it did when I was 25. I look at my friends of the same age, and most of them have very visible signs of aging (spots, discolorations, uneven skin tone, rough texture, premature wrinkles). Those are problems you cannot hide with makeup (not well anyway). I know I will never be without it.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2007 9:28:00 AM More reviews by DebL66

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Renova is the only product, other than sunscreen, that has made a truly noticeable difference in my skin. I have been using it for approximately 7 years. I was a bit of a sun worshipper for a time in my twenties, and in my thirties, it started to show in the form of uneven pigmentation, roughness, and fine lines. I swore off the sun, and started using Renova and a good SPF and my skin has made a total turnaround. Renova gradually got rid of the pigmentation, the fine lines were dramatically reduced (and even some of the deeper ones) and my skin is smooth, firm and soft. You will not see results overnight. You have to use it for several months, and keep using it to maintain the results. Yes, it is pricey, but really far less expensive than buying a bunch of expensive creams that don't really do anything but moisturize.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No