October 23, 2014 | 1639 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Sunflowers

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by hadas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

In 1994 I was still a teenager. Kurt Cobain had just died and everyone in my high school was reeling, and a few months later 'My So Called Life' appeared on television, giving voice to our deeply entrenched, '90s teen alterna-angst. As for me, I had never been much into perfume, had never even bought a bottle for myself. I remember flipping through a People magazine at home that year and seeing the Sunflowers ad; it also came with a small scent strip, which I opened and sniffed. Oh wow, this was unique! The scent blew my mind - the first scent to ever do so. It felt so fresh and lighthearted and joyful, and the ad copy reinforced that message. It was not marketed to teens, but to young mothers and contemporary women who found joy in nature, sunlight, and life's simple pleasures. I kept the scent strip for months and sniffed it all the time.

Well, for Christmas that year my father gave me a 1.7 oz bottle of Sunflowers. I loved it *so* much and I adored the sunniness of the box - the original double box which they haven't produced for a long time. My bottle of Sunflowers was my absolute favorite gift that Christmas, I cherished it deeply and wore it every day. And I would always just randomly pop the cap off the bottle and sniff it, just as a little pick me up throughout the day. There was nothing else I wanted to smell, and nothing more that I wanted to smell like. The smell is bright, lemony citrus, combined with aqueous melon/cucumber notes, undergirded by jasmine and rose. The fragrance took my breath away, it was considered very distinctive and beautiful at that time. My tastes have changed dramatically in 17 years...my favorite scents now are mostly vintage chypres made decades before i was born, like Mitsouko & Ma Griffe. Yet every Christmas - which was yesterday - I always develop a craving for Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden, because the smell takes me back to the utter joy and elation I felt to receive a bottle of it back on Christmas in '94.

22 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by apricotcloud

Don't understand all the hate for this product... I just got a bottle today for Christmas from my other half and have to admit it is simply beautiful!

I can really see me wearing this and little else in the spring with a nice sunny tan and glossy pink lips... it really makes you dream of hazy hot lazy days in the grass and idyllic summers on the hot floating sand.

Uhhhh it's very poetic!

<3 LOVE.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by buds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I recently tried this on my wrist and can't wait to get it washed off. It's just too overpowering and literally stinks. I was embarassed to be walking around with such a horrid smell. Took several washes to get rid of it as it's really strong.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2011 4:29:00 AM More reviews by arwynundomiel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an undeniably happy fragrance. It's light, airy and smells like what a field of sunflowers make you feel. There are splashes of lemon, orange blossom, melon, peach, rose and jasmine, along with a host of others. When I wear this, I see white linens drying on clotheslines, sandy beaches in the Hamptons, sun on green grass and a Nantucket blue and white striped lighthouse in the distance. Sunflowers is not a strong perfume, but melts into a soft scent that invites you to breathe a little deeper. Now to be honest, I don't want to live every day in Cape Cod, so this isn't a perfume I reach for regularly. It's sweet and pretty, but it just isn't interesting enough for me. I like a perfume that makes me need to buy it, rather than just be inclined to. But all that is personal preference and we all know opinions about scents are highly subjective. I do like Sunflowers, especially when I've gone very preppy with my outfit, and will probably buy it again. It's not horrendously expensive, especially when shopping on Ebay, which I may or may not do with alarming regularity.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2011 12:12:00 AM More reviews by TuttaPanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a very "bright" fragrance that is floral but also has some sharpness at first, then slowly melds into something a bit softer and muskier after a few hours (at least on my skin).
It's a pretty fragrance, very uplifting, and does smell like a rich bouquet of flowers sitting out in bright, warm sunshine.
Only drawback is that it can be strong at first, so I have to be careful to not spray too much. I also have a larger bottle of it which is a little large and unwieldy to hold (also makes it harder to control the spray). But overall this is a great fragrance, perfect for warmer days.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2011 2:13:00 AM More reviews by NarnianLady

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hmmm. If Red Door is labeled as an 'old lady scent', this is a 'young girlie' scent... Doesn't mean that only schoolgals should wear this, fragrance is a always an individual matter and has to do with your chemistry and persona.
This is a feel good fragrance: Uplifting and perky for sure, and gives you the needed boost for the day if you're feeling low in spirits. A burst of sunshine..! Love the body lotion as well. Very reasonable priced and a safe choice in many occasions, but as always, less is more.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by HannahTheScribe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started reading the manga "Stepping on Roses" back a few months ago. The main character wears a perfume that smells like roses...immediately, I had to find a rose perfume. Elizabeth Arden's "Sunflowers" smells exactly like flowers! Its main ingredient is rose, too! It is quite strong and not suitable for young girls, but is great if you want to smell like a flower on a bright summer day! I bought this at a consignment shop for $10, but it retails for around $30. Not a bad price either way!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by myra86

It is an amazing scent!
I cannot believe it has such low rating! I did buy this product again,and I will buy again once I finish it.
I think I might be addicted to it

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

A fresh fragrance smells of honey wow its so good

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to wear this all the time in the 1990's. I was feeling a little nostalgic recently and decided to revisit this scent. One spritz and it was like I was back in high school. It still has the same wonderful bright fruity/floral scent and the guys still love it!