Elizabeth Arden Red Door

2.9

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

An all-business perfume, no doubt, one that reminds me of a mature lady, all suits, hair back in a bun, clothes dry-cleaned and ironed, sharply dressed. I couldn't wear this fragrance any other time. Or so I thought. It always seemed too serious for me.
The straight tuberous hits hard in the beginning for me but is deliciously and creamily mellowed by the additional notes. On me, it's as if the tuberose is fully wrapped around by everything else. You know, it's there, it's a strong element, but it's also mellowed for about 2 or so hours.
Then Red Door turns to a completely different perfume than its original scent on me. It becomes a spicy, honeyed powder that's still strong and enjoyable. The florals disappear and Red Door becomes a full-blown oriental on me. What a change-over.
An interesting perfume this becomes that lasts for hours upon hours. Sillage sits comfortable around you like a floating cloud if Red Door agrees with you. That is the key to this perfume. It's a powerhouse that will knock the socks off the people around you if it doesn't agree with your body chemistry. I'm glad it turns into a wonderfully spicy oriental on me.
Day Two of wearing it I received compliments on the perfume I was wearing. Even tho I had never tried Red Door before, always avoiding it, I had decided to take the plunge and try it. I had a generous sample to last me for a few days so I decided to wear it again and see how I felt about this classic. On Day Three a woman shopping for perfumes complimented me and asked me for suggestions for herself. Go figure. Red Door must agree with me then if another woman asked for suggestions on perfumes. I guess it does suit me (pun intended) after all. Kinda grows on you surreptitiously.
Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Plum, Violet, Peach, Anise, Rose.
Middle Notes: Honey, Carnation, Tuberose, Orchid, Freesia, Lily, Ylang-Ylang, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Benzoin, Vetiver, Heliotrope, Cedar.

on 11/7/2013 10:43:00 PM

I wish I could tick maybe for repurchasing this. I was given a small rollerball bottle of this for my birthday in August. It is indeed a powerhouse perfume, heavy floral with carnation and smells like honey on me. It actually smells quite similar to Spellbound by Estee Lauder as they both have that honey note. Many people have given me compliments when wearing this, so it really is a perfume that comes down to two things: your body chemistry and how much you put on. Some perfumes seem to work with a wide range of people, others smell absolutely fantastic on a few people, passable on some, and vile on most. This is one of those. I think the reason this has such a bad reputation is that so many people give it to others as a gift so that a large number of people it doesn't suit end up wearing it. If it smells good on you, use it sparingly. It can induce headaches in some people very quickly. It also has fantastic sillage so long after you can smell it on yourself, other people can still smell it on you. Another reason it ends up with a bad reputation. You really don't need to reapply this during the day! I probably won't repurchase because although it smells good on me, I'm not in love with it and I want to keep my number of perfumes down.

on 10/24/2013 10:03:00 PM

I asked a lady who comes into my place of work what perfume she wears and she said Red Door, the only reason I asked her was so i would know what to avoid. This is vile, it actually smells like the toilet cleaner Frish which i bought to let the girls in work smell and they all agree that it does smell identical.

Not only is it vile it also gives me a stonker of a headache. I would ask anyone who does wear this to consider the rest of the population and stop lol

on 10/24/2013 10:02:00 PM

Ahhh the memories of this little Red Door :-) I used to wear the heck out of this stuff but my body chemistry changed and now it makes me smell like I've been out hunting for three days and drinking brandy the entire time...in other words, IT STINKS!!!! lol I do have an entire bottle sitting up on my dresser looking cute. It's been there since the 90's. Wonder what it smells like now...hmmm Yes, I have good memories of this scent (used oh so sparingly) but would never ever attempt to walk out of my house wearing it now.

on 10/24/2013 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Oh my gosh! I am so depressed reading these negative reviews of such a classic and amazing fragrance. I'm just 20 years old, and of course I'm not old. Someone gifted this perfume to my mum but since she didn't like heavy scents, she gave it to me, and I've been wearing it since I was 17, and I loved it. I am also not one to go for heavier scents but this one was special. It is a classic. It smells spicy, and like honey, and also a bit floral, but not a cheap floral - a good floral!
I recently finished the perfume (I use it very sparingly) and am now looking to repurchase since this is my signature evening scent.
I have very fond memories of this because my crush who never ever noticed me complimented me when I was wearing this !!!!! What else do you need,???

I will suggest that you try this perfume out before dismissing it, it can work amazingly for you and you will never want to leave it at all.!

on 10/2/2013 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Red Door is a BIG, classic, fragrance for women (not girls of all ages who like to smell like fruit, cupcakes or waterlilies), but women. It really works well on women who smoke. My now ex-husband (we were still newlyweds at the time) surprised me with this back in the early nineties. He said he loved the way it smelled on another woman. This made me do a little sleuthing and... turns out, he was cheating on me. I really like this lush, bombastic, oily, rose (red and white) floriental -very much the one last big kick at the BIG fragrances of the 1980's can. BUT, I can't wear it because no matter how lightly I apply it, it wears me. I do smile whenever I see it or smell it though. It always reminds me of how I walked out the (Red) Door with my head held high.
This fragrance is so distinct, it merits the title of classic. It is a rose fragrance, very similar to YSL Paris. The main difference between the two is YSL Paris is a big bright jammy fruity extroverted rose, Red Door is a darker, oily, introverted rose. A rose tempered with carnation and wood and sweetened with honey. I wore it when it was first released. Lately, I have been craving fragrances that have gone "out of favor" so to speak so, I got my hot little hands a little bottle of parfum as a keepsake and a tube of perfumed body lotion. I do use the perfumed body lotion moisturizes my painfully dry hands at the end of my nursing shift. The fragrance is like aromatherapy at the end of a night shift. It never fails to make at least one person say: "oh my God, what smells so good?"

I associate this fragrance with wannabe rich snobby middle-aged woman. It is not really the perfume's fault. I finally figured out, by trying a sample from The Bay, that this is the perfume that was worn by a lot of the snooty female patrons in a high-end restaurant I used to work in. The smell of it ended up mixing with shrimp and egg from the fancy brunches and sticking in my nose for too long, making me nauseated. Even worn as a sample years later now and without being around food, all I smell is shrimp, eggs, and snobbery.

Reviewing this perfume objectively may not be possible for me, just like a few others who said that they associated it with a cruel teacher who had worn it daily, for example . After putting on a sample, I found myself unable to eat unable to eat for hours later until I had to wash it off, because as some have said, it does promote nausea in certain individuals. I guess Red Door is not for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a high end fragrance that was very idealized at my household. Every woman in the family owned a bottle. It's a floral scent, a very strong one, that has amazing staying power. It smells great, very mature and refined.
I don't use it anymore since my taste in perfume has changed ( I now preffer the muskier vanilla- wooden scents), but I still recommend it. You can't go wrong with Red Door.

on 8/20/2013 10:25:00 AM

I don't get all the hate for this fragrance. Yes it is quite a dated scent, but applied sparingly is is just a sweet powdery fragrance. Not a sugary sweet like so many perfumes you can get today, but some sort of floral sweetness. It is quite cloying but it is not as offensive as Estee Lauder's Youth Dew (which catches in the back of the throat and can be smelled from several rooms away).

A lot of the bad reviews here mention someone the reviewer knew who wore way too much of it, hence the bad memories and bad reviews. Red Door is not something I would choose to wear myself but it is not a bad fragrance, I just prefer something less powdery.

on 8/1/2013 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I know I know. This scent is Strong and "makes you sick." I know what it's like because i'm one of those people who hates old lady perfumes and very synthetic and floral fragrances.
However, I do not think the above about Red Door. I agree with one of the reviewers that said the scent is SEXY! My 21 year old boyfriend was the first to tell me this. I think it's a very femenine scent, not mature in a grandma way but in a 20-30 year old WOMAN way. When I have it on I feel like a woman rather than a young adult. I think a tiny bit goes well with my body chemistry, only in very small doses on very rare occasions.

Popular Fragrances