July 26, 2014 | 967 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - BIG

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by selenium89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have naturally curly hair and I've noticed that lately my curls have been looking lifeless and not as bouncy. My hair has also been on the oily side recently. I decided to give BIG shampoo a go and whilst in the shower I was shocked as to how straw-like/waxy/dry it made my hair feel. You definitely need a good conditioner with this shampoo. I just couple it with my American Cream Conditioner and they complement each other quite well. After I air dried my hair I noticed that my curls were a lot more defined and voluminous afterwards, which is something my hair hadn't experienced since last summer at the beach!
This shampoo lathers very well in comparison to Curly Wurly, however, I don't like the smell of this as much as the sweet coconut scent of Curly Wurly. I decided to use the two shampoos interchangeably because BIG can be quite a drying deep clean shampoo, so it would not be ideal for daily use. It's an amazing product I will definitely re-purchase, however, I don't think that will be for a while as this tub will last me a while!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by arielleem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am obsessed with this shampoo. Smells like heaven!!! And leaves my fine thin hair with more body and volume. The texture is strange and takes some getting used to. It literally feels like rubbing grains of salt in your hair but once you get a nice lather it foams up. It's wonderful. Favorite shampoo ever will keep repurchasing forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by xxBeautyObsessedxx

I love this! I have very oily roots and normal ends. This makes my hair squeaky clean and really works to get rid of all the oil. I can see how it would be very drying on dry hair though, But because mine isn't dry I use it every time I wash, which is every other day. Love the smell, it's so fresh. The texture took a bit of getting use to, but now I really like it, and it lathers up so well.
But, I have to say the whole 'big' thing doesn't work for me. I have
a lot of hair anyway so I have a decent amount of volume naturally, but found no difference in volume while using this shampoo.
That said, I'd still recommend to anyone with oily hair or for anyone who wants a deep clean every once in a while.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2013 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Mellifluence

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Used this product for about two months, and I can't say I noticed any massive difference in hair volume, but it was an effective clarifying shampoo. Maybe a bit TOO effective – even though I only wash my hair twice a week, and I was careful to use 'Big' only on my oily roots, it stripped all moisture right out of my hair if I didn't regularly swap it with a more moisturising shampoo.

Like most Lush products, a little goes a long way. As it's in a tub, it was a bit of a hassle to keep hygenic, but keeping a clean teaspoon in the bathroom does the trick. The texture took a bit of getting used to, but it smells like the ocean. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by SkullGlitter

So many negatives based on presentation for BIG; The packaging isn't easy to open with pruny shower hands whether wet or dry, there's no easy way to get to the product other than scooping it up with your fingers and it's not textural appealing, and not to forget the unhygienicness of having to use fingers or your own spatula to remove the product for use. The only hygienic way to use this is to sanitize a spatula, remove an amount of product you believe will be enough for your hair, putting it in a container to bring into the shower or tub, and hoping it doesn't get ruined before you need it. Frustrating enough to just say "Pfft, no."

Otherwise, the smell is great. I really like it. Too stripping on my dry scalp (that reacts to stripping my natural oils, even with the addition or good-for-skin oils and/or butters, by creating a boatload of sebum) for usage on anything other than super-oily and excessively moisturized hair and scalp.

Taking my more sensitive scalp out of the equation, I've deemed this to be worth 2 stars because it will add volume to thick hair and scrub a sweaty, oily scalp in summer/tropical weather. Doesn't do well with fine hair due to the salt causing quite a bit of crunch and doesn't play well with dry scalps. Some people will find BIG useful in specific situations, but most would just think about all the work to keep it from molding and the fact that the amount of product you get for the price is just too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2013 5:28:00 PM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My very first Lush product recommended to me by the SA, after showing me a ton of products and how they work.

I have super oily highlighted blonde hair. I am the person who washes my hair in the morning, and in an hour my bangs are looking greasy from getting in my face too much. And the rest of my hair is looking oily after 6-8 hours every day just from a normal day! I've been trying to work on this with salon clarifying shampoos and conditioners for years. They helped tons compared to any drugstore brands which I haven't gone back to for years, but have tons of chemicals in them and that's what was causing my itchy scalp and bumps on the back of my neck and under my hair.

I tried Big and I lovvvvvve this shampoo. It completely changed my hair and my scalp. I am only using it once a week because it does similar things to my hair as swimming in the ocean consistently which is GREAT for my scalp (a lot less oily) but very drying in some ways as well, making it difficult for me to comb through it and I want to make sure I am also not damaging my super fine, thin, colored hair too much either! But once a week to clean my scalp it's amazing. And you can also use it as a scrub on your body which I haven't even tried yet! I love the texture, the packaging, how it lathers and rinses clean, the results of a clean scalp and such clean hair with lots of body! One lippie off just because I bought this thinking I could use it more often on my hair.

I would never try this unless you have such extreme oily hair and scalp like I do, because I think it would be way too drying! I would try one of their other products if your hair is not extremely oily or if you just need body.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by SylasBelle

Big Shampoo is the best thing that has ever happened to my hair. The coarse sea salt softens my hair while giving my scalp the bit of scrub it needs. Lemon juice for shine:)) I mix this with Cynthia Sylvia Stout everyday for glorious hair

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by realitydust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Okay, for starters: Do not use daily. Don't use if you're concerned about your color-treated hair fading.
This shampoo is super clarifying, as others said. So it's good for maybe a weekly basis thorough cleaning (focus definitely on the roots, not your ends- you'll dry them up like nothing!). Because it strips your hair, it also strips your color fairly quickly so if you dye your hair, be cautious.
But some positives: I used this before I started coloring my hair, and it was great for clarifying especially after heavy product use throughout the week. It did provide some lift at my roots, especially if I massaged it well. Overall, my hair was quite soft and lifted/voluminous after using it, as long as I rinsed very well and followed with a good conditioner, lol.

But this shampoo just seems too high maintenance for me to deal with to ever repurchase it again. ALWAYS ask for a sample or buy a sample somewhere first, because this stuff is pretty expensive despite it lasting a while.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Whew, what a clarifying shampoo! Using it once (though I did try this three times before I returned it) made my hair so stripped, that conditioner and oils after could not salvage it. It felt like hay.
Very stripping, clarifying, and yes, while it was good for volume at the roots... It wasn't worth it. I didn't even run it through the ends or shaft of my hair, yet the entire lock felt stripped and in worsened condition afterwards.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2013 9:22:00 AM More reviews by amoenaonline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I originally bought BIG because I was curious about the salt grains in it. Nowadays I buy BIG because I like how it works. I wash my hair only twice a week and between washes I use a ton of dry shampoo and hair powders. I feel that they all build up on my scalp. And none of the other shampoos I have tried have washed that feeling away... But the salt grains in BIG seems to wash out all the build up too and both my hair and my scalp feel clean afterwards. I only use BIG every other though because it's pretty harsh and I am not sure if my hair can handle it. You definitely need lots of conditioner after using BIG!

//I have to change my review... I used couple jars of BIG and I started to feel that my hair was getting pretty dry and all that. I still like the shampoo... but I wouldn't use it as often as I did. Maybe just once a month or something. I took two lippies off.