Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer Shades

4.4

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

on 1/19/2009 1:43:00 PM

Some color comparisons for SSE05

From KA's site: SX 05 is a light shade with beige undertones.
To give you an idea, I wear or have tried the following in other lines:
1) Lancome Teint Idole Ultra in Buff 2 (w) -- this is probably the closest match to my skin, and looks identical to SSE05 in sunlight. So if you're considering buying SSE05 sight-unseen, see if you can get a sample of this for an idea of the color.
2) Smashbox HD foundation in Light (L1) -- this goes on my skin and matches beautifully, but I find it darkens a little after a few minutes... so this is more of a summer foundation, looks a teeny bit darker in the packaging, but maybe about a full shade darker than SSE05 b/c of the oxidizing
3) NARS Firming Foundation in Deauville -- compared to SSE05 in sunlight, looks a bit "brighter"... like there's less beige in it. But the tones/depth of color seem pretty matched otherwise, and I can wear the NARS just as well as the more beigey Lancome and SSE.

on 3/14/2007 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

After lemming this product quite awhile I finally got my hands on it. I found it very difficult to chose the correct shade by looking on the Kevyn Aucoin website so they really need to make that process simpler - however the MUA was willing to look at my emailed photo and make a suggestion. In MAC I wear NC37 or C40 and in the SSE I wear SX11 and it is an excellent shade for this MMM.

I find the product to be very good for my dry skin and though the size is extremely small a very little goes a long way! I mix just a little with the KA primer and dot on my face then pat into my skin. I cannot feel it on my face and like most reviewers I too think it feels just like my skin.

I am very happy with this product and think it may be my HG!

on 1/13/2007 1:03:00 AM

I bought the SSES in No 12 which was too dark and yellow for my skin tone (PX Warm Vellum, Chantecaille Shea/Wheat, Bobbi Brown Honey) It is very ochre and darkish yellow. Other than the wrong shade, the texture is lovely and covered up my acne scars perfectly.

on 11/24/2006 1:52:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Applying this takes some practice. Its very thick and you only need a little.

Very nice result though. Very very natural, but with great coverage and looks good throughout the day.

on 10/14/2006 12:33:00 PM

Use a little bit, as instructed, mixed with a touch of moisturizer and this is the world's most perfect foundation/concealer. I get compliments on my skin multiple times a day wearing this. No kidding!

I can get light coverage for good days, heavier for days I need it, and EXCELLENT undereye coverage. I'm PPP and use SX1, FYI.

This doesn't smudge-off the way other foundations and primers do (a pet peeve). NEVER cakey, only streaky with cruddy application technique.

My newest trick? I mix it with a bit of shimmer (I use Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion- Luminous Pearl) instead of mositurizer and get a great glow.

Application notes:

~Use a light hand! I wouldn't apply this directly all over the face unless I were going on a stage. :) This is why I mix! I put a tiny bit of Sensual Skin Enhancer in my palm and a small amount of whatever I'm mixing it with next to it. I dab a bit of the Sensual Skin Enhancer under my eyes and on the inside of my eyes along my nose, then mix the stuff in my palm and apply where it's needed on my face.

~Use your fingers to apply, a la Kevyn. You waste less product and get a smoother, more controlled application.

~Work fairly quickly. You have some time, but if you haven't blended well you'll note that the streaks or blotches you've left behind stay put as well as the nicely blended parts do. Hours later you'll still be looking at the same mistakes. Oops!

~I started using a primer recently, and that's when this product really started to excel even more (which I didn't think possible!).

Expense:
I see folks are concerned about the small amount of product for the money. Let me tell you: if you use this properly (meaning: with a light-to-moderate hand) you'll not run out for a long time. Totally worth it!

The website.

continued >>

on 5/12/2006 3:58:00 AM

It covers my dark circles well. I only use this as a concealer and not as a foundation. It is too hard to spread because the texture is thick. Its great to cover flaws, spots, acne, etc.

on 12/3/2005 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tried this in my search for a HG foundation. I wanted to like this, I really did. However, it just did not work. I am PPP with dry skin, and the foundation was not moisturizing enough. Dry skin showed through horribly. Made me look about 10 years older. I tried various ways of application, as well and it just never looked good. Also rubbed off in places halfway through work day. I can see how this might work for certain skin types, but it did nothing for my skin. I think Armani is better, but it is not my HG either, still looking...

on 10/25/2003 2:46:00 PM

I'm a Mac C3 and I mix SX06 with SX08 in order to get a perfect match. I find that the yellowness of the product disappears a bit once you start applying on your face. At first I wasn't impressed with KA SSE, but the more and more I use it, the more I love it. I really love it with Smashbox's primer, and sometimes I mix the primer and the SSE in my palm first, and then apply it on primed skin.

on 10/12/2003 11:57:00 PM

This product is amazing. The pot of product is small but lasts about a year because of the tiny amount that is used. The colors are so amazing and there is something for everybody. You might have to mix two but it is worth it to find your perfect personal

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

SX1 -- Lighter than PPP, lighter than MAC NC15, neutral undertones

SX2 -- PPP with rosy undertones, MAC NW15

SX3 -- PPP with yellow undertones, MAC NC15

SX4 -- LLL, strong yellow undertones, MAC C2

SX5 -- LLL, neutral with slight yellow undertones, MAC NC20/NW20

SX6 -- LLL/FFF, neutral-yellow undertones, MAC NC25/30

SX7 -- FFF, neutral but with more yellow undertones, MAC C3

SX8 -- MMM, strong yellow undertones, MAC NC30/35/C4 (*note: C4 is lighter than NC35 but more yellow)

SX9 -- MMM, rosy undertones, MAC NW35/40

SX10 -- MMM, neutral-yellow undertones, MAC NC30/35

SX11 -- GGG, yellow undertones, MAC NC40/43

SX12 -- GGG/DDD, yellow undertones, MAC NC43/45

SX13 -- neutral undertones, MAC NC50, N4 (C6 could work too, but might not be yellow enough)

SX14 -- strong red undertones, MAC NW50

SX15 -- rosy brown undertones, what W7 would look like, think C7 depth but with pink undertones.

SX16 -- golden brown undertones, MAC C8-N9. continued >>