April 20, 2014 | 1458 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Sable

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

i buy a lot of eyeshadows from MAC in constant search of 'the one' that just fits. and lately i've found that i've been mixing and piling on more and more different colours, mixing and blending, just to get that perfect shade. 'Satin Taupe' is not far behind, but Sable is basically what i was trying to achieve, because this colour is perfect. i wish i'd just bought this, 'Satin Taupe' and a very small select few that i consider basic staples in the 1st place.
Sable is a Frost, which means it has a pearly shine instead of a proper shimmer, and the colour is a buildable, medium-toned brown with an obvious salmony pink copper to it. this is like an illusion of brown/pink/copper/bronze but ALL in an understated colour. this is a beautiful and special shade that would no doubt look incredible on green/blue eyes. even on my brown eyes is brings out lighter brown flecks in my eye colour.
another reason why i love this so much, is because it's medium-toned, so it makes a very good wash of colour, that looks completely effortless no matter how much you build it up. but it will never be a light colour that needs other contouring shadows etc. to make it work, nor at all too dark. i wear this with 'Embark' in the outer v (my staple outer v colour with anything), and i just feel so put-together.
this also suits my hair a lot at the moment because it's dyed a dark reddish colour.
if it helps anyone, i find that 'Painterly' paint pot as a base, makes this more of a paler, rosier colour. but i just love to wear it with my TFSI primer. this is a very low maintenance, effective colour for me.
recommended 100%!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2012 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Aether

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fabulous, very unique colour as it doesn't go heavily bronze as other brand's equivalents do; it remains a very warm brown with just a hit of bronze and warmth.
As usual for MAC it blends well, lasts a long time and has a lovely texture.
I don't personally reach for this as often as my cool toned brown (Satin Taupe), but it's a staple in my collection and on days when I'm doing a warmer look I'd be lost without it. Definitely worth a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 8:05:00 AM More reviews by lovemakeup17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my HG brownish taupe colour. it has a little bit of purple tones, but nothing much. so creamy shimmery and amazing.! love love love love!
THIS is what i thought mac satin taupe would be, but it wasn't- by far an amazing all over the lid colour or crease colour !loooooooove!

will rebuy for ever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Bucephala

Love love love! This is a beautiful shadow. I like to wear it with Cranberry but it goes with lots of other colours. It's blends easily and is highly pigmented. I think it'd be flattering on many skin tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by pixyinpanic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Sable is a must-have for people with blue eyes! Is a beautiful mix of a warm brown with bronzy/coppery/red undertones and it has a gorgeous sheen.
Red is a very scary color eyeshadow-wise but sable makes it so easy to pull it off. If you blend it with something like the 217 over the lid you get a day-appropriate eye-catching smokey eye. I love it! :) Pairs well with Naked Lunch and All that Glitters.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2012 7:52:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I put off buying Sable for the longest time, figuring that it was very close in colour to Mulch and Satin Taupe. I finally caved a few weeks ago and got this in the pro-pan. And, like a true eyeshadow afficionada, I can now say it's nothing at all like either of those 2 shadows, though, like Mulch, it does have a Velvet finish. Applied, it has a rich sheen (not glitter or frost, but a lovely, polished sheen) that imparts a flattering "lit" look to the lids.

On me and in the pan, Sable looks to be a somewhat pink/rosy bronze shade, not at all like the deep red it seems to be in the first 2 photos on the left at the top of this page. I have to be careful with red toned shadows or I look like I have an eye infection, but Sable is not a problem at all. It is beautiful as a lid colour with Mulch in the crease - the 2 shades blend seamlessly together because they are so close and the finishes are the same, though Mulch is considerably darker and so is perfect as a crease colour with Sable. Sable is such a flattering and wearable colour all on its own and because of that "sheen" it makes for a very pretty "one colour" quick eye, with some matte black liner to play up that sheen. Really, a great basic shadow that almost anyone can wear.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by aykhan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very nice colour that wears well on it's own, in subtle or dramatic looks with other colours. It wears well on my lids and generally doesn't crease until after 6 hours of wear (without a primer).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2012 3:19:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this shadow! It's an absolutely gorgeous golden bronze-brown with red and purple undertones that makes my green eyes pop. The shadow is pigmented and blends so easily. Very versatile for me too as I can wear it on the lid, in the crease, and plays well with many other shadows in my collection.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by sharmilaa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

Sable is very wearable color especially for work (I shy away from wearing gold bold or bright eyeshadows at work atleast)
Color - Plummy brown with perhaps very slight copper tones. I used this at night for the first time and I did not see much of sheen or shimmer - may be because I used a large fluffier eyeshadow brush instead of a smaller one.
Pigmentation - This is not a very pigmented eyeshadow (which I found the case with many mac eyeshadows & blushes). But because it is a plummy red brown you donot want a lot or color or else you would look like someone punched you in the eye. It does look similar to Satin Taupe. If you donot like red toned eyeshadows this is not for you.
Also with this shade it makes my eyes set deeper in the socket than popping them out ( I hope that makes sense).
Still I I like this eyeshadow as it it rich but yet demure & everyday wearable for any occassion day or night.
UPDATE - Just wore this in the morning gorgeous! loving it- exchanged this for patina donot regret it at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by xxmakeupjunkiexx99

A lovely colour and blends wonderfully with other MAC colours. Usually, I use it all over from lash line to eyebrow, then I apply antiqued to the lid and, embark to the crease and a bit of beauty marked or black tied to the corner. It's a great colour and I always repurchase.