Desert Essence Lip Rescue w/ Shea Butter

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Glycine soja (soybean) oil, beeswax, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, ozokerite, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), ginkgo biloba leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tocopherol, propyl gallate, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil.

on 12/10/2009 3:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased mine from Whole Foods, next to the check out. Although it smells much better than the Jojoba Oil version of this product, I find that it doesn't work as well. I have extremely chapped lips, and after one application of the Shea Butter formula I saw and felt no difference. After an hour's wear of the Jojoba Oil, though, my chapped lips were once again soft. I find that the Shea Butter formula works well to maintain soft lips, not to achieve them. It wasn't until I read these reviews that I realized that yeah, hey, it smells like an orange creamsicle. It's nice, not overpowering at all.

I wear chapstick before bed and put this on in the morning. It's working okay so far.

I give this product 3 lippies only because it doesn't work as well as I need it to, or as well as the other formulas.

on 6/30/2009 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this is one of my favourite lipbalms, i go through them like mad so i've tried my fair share. it smells lightly of vanilla and citrus and moisturizes really well, with a not too creamy texture so its not irritating if you are layering it with a lippy, it lasts reasonably well. i love it!

on 6/29/2009 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Great lip balm! Moisturizing, but not waxy. Sinks in nicely, doesn't just "sit" on the lips as so many do. Very subtle, nice scent.
And, my local supermarket (Stop & Shop) is now carrying a variety of natural personal care lines, so I don't even have to go out of my way for this!

This lip chappie is the bomb. nuff said.

on 3/2/2009 1:02:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I LOVE THIS STUFF! Especially the Shea Butter one.
I go through thousands of lip balms, just a hoarder, and I always reach for this one. It feels so soft and the scent is overpowering and doesn't feel greasy or sticky. It leaves lips soothed and hydrated. Natural feel, organic ingredients.
I get mine from Whole Foods.

on 1/10/2009 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love all three of Desert Essences Lip Rescues. Definite HGs. I place an order from vitacost.com every other month or so, and I'm always sure to throw a few of these in.

Shea Butter is my second favorite (jojoba is my first). First off, it smells great!! I can't really describe it. It's a mildly sweet, natural smell. I like to use this one before I put on any lip gloss or lipstick. It works well if my lips are already smooth--it helps keep them that way, but it doesn't work as well as the jojoba to actually make chapped lips soft. Therefore, I usually wear the jojoba at night and the shea butter during the day. It lasts very long, and I love all the natural ingredients.

EDIT: I still love these lip rescues. My lips are much plumper and fuller when I apply this regularly.

on 11/18/2008 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really thought that this product wouldn't work because it didn't have a waxy feel. It turned out that it is more moisturizing (for me, anyway). I think it's a bit expensive for its price, but this is way better than any other lip balm that I've tried. Unlike what some other people said, this does NOT dry out my lips. I've actually gone through 3 tubes already (I've been using this brand of lip balm for a LONG time), but forgot to put a review of it on MA. It is glossy or matte, depending on how much you put on. The smell is sort of an orange cremesicle ish thing, but nothing to bother you.
This is my hg.

on 10/24/2008 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Edited - Even though this has a very pleasant light texture and goes on matte, I find it is not moisturizing enough. I had to apply heavy and reapply often, but then I noticed that I keep feeling this balm on my lips and it's a bit annoying to have to think about that. It definitely dried out my lips with repeated use. Little staying power. I found relief when I switched to other balms.
It worked much better in a warm humid environment, but then my lips would be less dry naturally too. I finished the tube using it as a hand salve, it it was really awesome in that role.

on 9/27/2008 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Definatly the best lip balm I have ever used.

on 9/13/2008 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Wonderful lip balm! Pure, all-natural ingredients, superbly moisturizing, and has a nice, subtle scent that reminds me slightly of an orange creamsicle. There is no SPF and no flavor, and it leaves an almost-matte finish on the lips (especially great for guys who have trouble finding lip balms that aren't glossy). The packaging is simple, attractive, and unisex. Like others have stated, it is great to wear to bed overnight, but I find myself using it all the time when I'm not in the sun. For just $2.50 at my local health food store, it's a product I will repurchase again and again.

Popular Lip Treatments