Coty Vanilla Musk

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/31/2009 7:34:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm afraid I hated this. I mean no offense to those who love it and I probably smells okay on your skin, but on mine it comes across as intrusively cloying and over-sweet. Orange and vanilla are dodgy on me at the best of times and vanilla and sandalwood tend to also work very poorly on me. This baby has all three plus patchouli, another note that can go oh-so-dreadfully wrong with my chemistry. Put them all together and what you get is a scent that, while not offensive perse, is so up my nose and sweeeetttt and harsh-woody-cloying---oh, no, no, scrub scrub scrub! This is not a zero because I could see it working for others just fine, but on my skin, it's a serious no-go.

on 2/26/2009 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Pleasant enough little fragrance, but it can become cloying after awhile. I have the splash, which has a strange bottle - the cap is very hard to remove. The vanilla fades pretty quickly. I prefer Jovan white musk for a drugstore musk, or Vanilla Fields for a vanilla.

on 10/3/2008 5:10:00 PM

It's funny how much I like this modest fragrance, considering I'm not a fan of vanillas or of musks. But the vanilla in VM isn't remotely reminiscent of a cookie, nor is the musk remotely reminiscent of unwashed humans. The combination is something else entirely. My overall impression from this scent is warmth. It isn't all that smooth (there is a very sharp, almost metallic tang in the open) and it isn't soft (that open has a real punch to it). What makes it a winner for me is that it's the scent of a strong woman....open, capable, athletic and undeterred. I've found it to be the perfect sports fragrance. It 'blossoms' when you exert yourself and perspire just a little. The warmer your skin is, the better this scent works. And unlike the heavy hitters like Angel or Giorgio, you can wear it to work out at the gym. I play a lot of tennis -- indoors and out -- and always wear this when I play. Everyone compliments me, both male and female. I'm so sorry it's been discontinued. Thankfully it was in production a long time so there are bottles to be had on the secondary market.

on 9/3/2008 3:01:00 AM

Am I smelling something different than anyone else? Coty Vanilla Musk. Not Vanilla Fields, but Vanilla Musk. Butter. Buttery, rich vanilla, a hint of malt behind it, clean skin subtly in the background. Very light, very beautiful, not too sweet a vanilla but not afraid of the vanilla. Maybe a teensy teensy hint of gardenia in the quality of the butteriness. This is gorgeous.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Yes, it is green, not buttery--that's the orange blossom and woods coming out. But being a vanilla lover, I enjoy wearing varying notes of vanilla(Hpnotic Poison, Addict, Pink Sugar, Deep Red, etc.) I would not want all of my vanillas to resemble each other TOO closely. What would be the fun in that?

As a side note. I wore this one yesterday, and when I went in to get gas, the clerk asked if I was wearing perfume and what it was. So I told him Vanilla Musk. He said" MMMM vanilla, with a dreamy expression.It's the truth --men love vanilla!

on 7/31/2008 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is beautiful in the perfume oil! I'm yet to try edt/edc.
I instantly thought of Christian Dior's Dolce Vita when i smelt vanilla musk. Except VM is much smoother and softer on the skin. It also lasts for ages. I can see this being my long term fragrance. Its one of those scents that are versatile, young, fresh, vibrant and likable.

Update (09/08/2008): The edc version took me by surprise and is just as beautiful as the oil. Think of a slightly lighter version but not weak in it's lasting power. The edc lasts incredibly well and i think i like this a tiny bit more than the perfume version.

on 5/3/2008 2:03:00 AM

I remember the whole vanilla thing in the mid-90's, I got compliments when I wore VM. Loud and tart at first spray but dries down to a deep sweet musky scent. I still have a small bottle I haven't touched in years and sprayed it the other day and it's still as potent and sweet and musky as I remember. Lasts too, good stuff!!

on 4/14/2008 4:09:00 PM

This was my signature scent in 1995. I wore it on many special firsts...if you catch my drift. =)

Very musky and sexy...I still get compliments on it and I am so glad Coty STILL makes it!

on 2/29/2008 2:18:00 AM

i hated this smell. it smells like they just stopped adding what was needed to finish this fregrance to make it smell good in the middle of adding ingrediants. i hated the smell. it just smelled unfinished or something like that. i will not be buying this again

on 12/12/2007 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

I didn't like this fragrance at first, but have grown to like it. Very subtle and sweet. I like it.

Popular Fragrances