August 21, 2014 | 1851 users online

Loose Powders - Chantecaille - Loose powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by candy_hunter

Amazing loose powder! After I finished my Laura Mercier loose powder, I was on a hunt for another brand. The LM is great at $30, but I am willing to spend more for an even better one. I first looked at Cle de Peau, because I currently use their foundation. After doing some thinking, I realized it's simply ridiculous to spend over US$100 for loose powder, seriously. Then I hopped over to Chantecaille. First, I was pleased to know that it's talc free, which is great news for oily or acne-prone skin. Then I felt the powder on my hand, and, WOW, it's just as smooth as CdP! I tried it on my face right there, and was very pleased with the finish. It's a very natural matte finish, zero chalkiness. In fact, I think it's even better than CdP! A few hours later, I looked in the mirror, same great look, great oil control. Best thing of all, I just bought this for $26 on eBay, HAH!

UPDATE: So I finally received the product in the mail. I applied some over my Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation, and it looked flawless! I can't believe my face didn't look chalky at all. This is HG HG HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2009 9:11:00 PM More reviews by Kapaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder, because Merle Norman did away with their oil-control loose powder, which I found to be superior. (Hopefully, MN will come out soon with this formulation in their High Definition Powder.) Chantecaille loose powder is a very finely-milled powder that comes in a pretty silver container. I bought the shade Subtle and like how it does not leave me looking overly made up, and it does not accentuate fine lines. The color seems to go well with my Asian skin, unlike MAC's loose powder (NC30) that looks orange on me and highlights fine lines. However, it is difficult to understand how Chantecaille developed such a fine powder but such a user-unfriendly container! I tried to take the sifter off to transfer some of the powder to my smaller travel sifter, but I was so afraid that I would drop the container and precious ($$$) powder all over the floor! I ended up shaking the powder into its sifter and transferring it with a make-up spatula. Still, a lot of powder fell onto the counter from the sides of the container. I cringed when I lost less than a teaspoon on the bathroom counter! The only way that I can think of doing this in the future, is to shake the powder into the sifter over a clean paper towel, and then scoop the excess into the travel sifter. Please improve packaging! If there is a similar powder out there with better packaging, I would probably buy it over the Chantecaille powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2009 9:29:00 AM More reviews by vanitygal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My one and only loose powder, I have been using this for 5 years now. i have previously tried other loose powders and this is the only one that takes the crown.

Like the other testimonials that others have given, i have to agree with every bit.

Sets make up without cloging pores, no caking and does what a translucent powder is set out to do,,,,be TRANSLUCENT. It does not interfere with your foundation and blush, just sets what you have already applied.

it has one of the best textures ...finely milled to give the best texture and least suspecting that you have caked on powder.

The only thing that frustrates me with this product is that it is expensive and that the holes that the powder dispenses from makes it time consuming, cos the powder doesnt come through the wholes onto my sponge easily. One of my other frens have transferred their chantecaille LP into a more friendlier dispenser, (old loose powder compacts from other brands that are empty)

These are one of those products that will always be in my make up kit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by purpledream

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a fabulous powder that blots out oil without being heavy or overly matte. It's never chalky and looks beautiful in real life as well as in photographs. I so agree with others about the packaging...while it's very pretty, it is so horrible in keeping the product contained. I was doing fine by twisting the top off slowly, but then I DROPPED the container and now it's all lose up in there. I now have to slowly twist the top off over a tissue in order to catch all the fallout. I literally don't have to take it completely off; just a light twist and all this powder falls all over the place. Point being, this would be stellar with better packaging. If I need to take it somewhere or have it in my kit, I need to put it another container - and for the price that it costs, that's unacceptable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2009 8:35:00 AM More reviews by dodobat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I initially got this for a friend and since she raved about it so much I deemed that this is a 'must have' for myself too. =D Its a very popular product and is almost always out of stock at spacenk. But I finally got myself one and I really love it. Its very finely milled and it feels weightless on the skin. I have alot of loose powders and this is one of my favourites. Im not sure if I like this better than my La Mer powder but I definitely like this more than my Nars loose powder which is not as finely milled.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2009 5:01:00 AM More reviews by frucht_tasche

This is the powder I have been looking for for years. It is very very finely milled, does not have tacky shimmer, never cakes/settles into lines and feels very light on skin. It sets makeup perfectly with a soft, polished finish. The oil control is excellent, too. It is very expensive, and the packaging, while very pretty, is bad, but I think it is worth trying just because of its quality. It works well with different type of foundations I use. FYI: Other powders I used: Cle de Peau loose (did not like it: way too expensive, broke me out, no oil control): YSL (not as finely milled, looks a hint too heavy): Guerlain (in general good but heavily fragranced/slightly drying): GA (too much shimmer, oxidised): By Terry loose (good but way too expensive for such a small amount): By Terry compact (very good, another favourite, offers more coverage than the Chantecaille powder).

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2009 11:03:00 PM More reviews by lynniepoop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have never used loose powders before and have generally geared towards pressed powders just because I think loose powders are more troublesome. But since I have had a great experience with Chantecaille's Future Skin (Alabster), I decided to purchase the Loose Powder to mattify the foundation when I don't desire a dewy look.

I purchased this in Light and I am unsure about other shades but Light goes on translucent on my skin and provides me a gorgeous, lovely glow. It doesn't provide much coverage, if any at all, but I'm not looking for coverage as I only want to mattify my Future Skin Foundation so this is perfect for me. I also detest powders with shimmer (too tacky and accentuates pores) so I love how Chantecaille's loose powder gives you a glow without tacky shimmer. Also, though it comes with a cute puff, I prefer to use it with a brush because I feel a puff is unble to give you an even distribution.

I see other MUA-ers have problems getting the powder out without spilling some. What I do is remove the puff (I use a MAC 187 brush), hold the container in one palm and tap the side very gently. The powder should "rise up" to the surface. I then swirl my brush into the powder and blend it on my face. I don't lose any powder this way.

PROs: Talc-free (if you have sensitive skin). Lovely glow, no shimmer. Extremely silky and smooth texture - I always touch my face after applying it though I know I shouldn't. It's that soft!

CONs: Expensive at 45 but I believe in value for money (what you receive for what you pay), than just price alone.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2008 8:26:00 PM More reviews by cyndiinphilly

This powder is now my HG. It is so soft and light, yet keeps my skin matte all day. No shimmer, just smooth glowy skin. The package has to be the worst I've seen. Every single time I open it, I lose powder. Makes me angry at this price to have such poor packaging. And I hate to have to switch it. I'll continue to buy, but grudgingly

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2008 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Holmes7575

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Hello

I am Mixed Black and Italian
Love the color Shadow, for me adds a little more color
And blends great with or with out foundation.
I have future skin in Haze I Love that product as well

Will buy again,
Only problem is when opening the case make sure to open slowly
And you will not loose any powder.

It helps to cover my oily t-zone and looks GREAT !!!
Love, love, love
And I have tired a lot of powders to cover up my shinny t-zone

Great product..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 3:34:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Soft as silk and the color is a perfect match (Subtle) for my yellow undertoned medium asian skin. I use the Just Skin in Glow. powder is so sheer you hardly know its there. The very last step of my make up routine. I absolutely hate the packaging and might not repurchase because of this. it comes in a pretty metal canister but when i pulled the lid off, there was powder everywhere! then i pulled the sticker off the holes and shook it a little to GET some product and the darn thing spilled all over my hand. i didnt want to put the powder puff back on top, so i reused the sticker-but i dont know how long that will last! i am using it with a brush instead of the puff. So yes, i would repurchase IF the packaging was better. when i run out i am going to check out La Mer. I tested YSL and the powder was nice and the packaging was very cool (you only grind what you need)-BUT there was too much sparkle in it for me. UPDATE: it's still soft as silk but i am SO hating the packaging still! its horrible! everytime i shake it a little to get some darn product out it gets all over the place-what a waste! it either doesnt give me enough out of the sifter or it gives me too much all over my hand and the sink. sigh...plus its a pain to take the lid on and off and on....
UPDATE: ok decided will not repurchase ONLY because i use the MAC blot now to set my makeup, etc. since i am so oily. this is nice to have but more of a luxury item. will finish the rest though as i am too lazy to take back to neiman's (hate going there! too uppity...im a nordie's girl!)