April 20, 2014 | 1679 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2007 12:09:00 AM More reviews by bbkicksaaa

OK!!!! So, iv been using this product for a year now...my best friend uses it too after i showed her what it could do! now im an estee lauder freak, (by the way estee lauder owns M.A.C =D ) so i get compliment where ever i go! people tell me omg ur skin is sooo perfect, ur sooo lucky..then people see me with out foundation and r like...uh what happened to ur skin?? lol. its truly magic in a bottle. but BEWARE, it does tend to dry out ur skin, so i use the estee lauder moisterizers, primers, eye serum, night repair, toners, MAKEUP REMOVER (otherwise, if u dont get it off, ur lovely pores will clog) and there purity or something clensing gel. if u dont moisturize your face, ur face will release oils, mixing with bacteria, causes lovely BREAKOUTS. thats why if you moisturize, with a HIGH QUALITY MOISTURIZER, ur skin will be wayyy better.

HERES A PIC OF ME, USING DESSERT BEIGE OR DUSK, I DONT REMEMBER, I USE DUSK NOW, ITS MY FAV =D

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by Numeriku

Now, if you had asked me to review this a few months ago, i would have called it the God of all foundations, the ultimate, no comparison, untouchable, the list goes on, but what they have turned this once flawless foundation into has completely broken my heart, and caused nothing but absolute despair.

After suffering with very bad acne for the majority of my life, and going through 15+ years of using several different foundation brands to find the match that suited me, i finally came across this about a year ago *how i did not know of it sooner... wow...*, not only did it cover up every spot, every scar, every blemish, and every hint of redness on my face, but it did not oxidize into an orange blobish mess, stayed put even when swimming, through heat, through cold, rain, sweat, everything, but it lasted all day, and to finish it off a little would go a loooong way. It was the first foundation that matched my very pale skin tone, and the first to not break me out... WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?!

For the first time in over a decade I had confidence, I had heard of this foundation from Cassandra Bankson who at the time was a young woman who had suffered from the worst cystic acne, ever. She appeared on the news after she had received many Youtube hits for her video on how she used this makeup to hide ALL of her redness *and she was as red as a tomato*, her scars, everything… Needless to say I rushed out and tried this because if it could cover HER FACE and make her look FLAWLESS then… WOAH.

But why? What possessed you to change the BEST FOUNDATION EVER CONCIEVED into this complete travesty? And what is even more disturbing is the price remains the same? Yet the quality is that of some of the cheapest drugstore brand makeup? Disgusting, deplorable, inconceivable, why why why why WHY!!?!?!
So MANY people with abysmal acne problems have used your foundation for a very long time and have come to rely on it to have the confidence to show their faces in public, why would you do this to us? After years of searching for such a gem and you do this? Not only have you lost and will continue to lose many customers, but you have also lost a huge amount of respect… for your foundation to turn out like the rubbish Avon produces… it makes my mind boggle…

This new formula causes breakouts, barely has 1/3rd of the staying power, oxidizes into a grose blotchy mess, is much thinner and does not cover anywhere near as well as it used to, has no SPF, the old colours have been replaced with new ones that are no where near the colours of the old versions, with the lighter colours like Shell removed completely *and the lighests colour now doesn't even come close*, and it does not apply well at all… how you could market it for the same price is… it’s just a complete scam.

For the love of everything, bring back the old formula, and bring back the old colours, DON’T FIX THAT WHICH ISNT BROKEN!!!!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Lilibaba

Double Wear was my holy grail foundation for 8 years, but this is where our friendship ends. The lightest shade - which was a tad too dark for me - Shell, has been replaced by an obnoxious yellow/orange/dark shade, which is no substitute to the 1C1 shell colour, making it absolutely unwearable for me.

When I heard EL was going to introduce new shades, I was delighted, thinking they will finally add some shades to the very pale and the very dark ends of the spectrum, catering towards more ladies. Instead, they just replaced some trusty old shades, with horrible new ones.

This would be enough for me to never buy again, but just to make sure I will stay away from this product, EL changed the formulation too. It is thin, not long-lasting, streaky, settles into lines, yuck!

(My mother has been wearing the Fresco shade, 2N1 for 10+ years, now they changed that one too, although the name stayed the same, the new shade is a LOT darker and tango orange!)

I loved this foundation, but I will never buy again. I find it absolutely outrageous that after such an obvious change the sales assistants try to convince you that the shades are the same, they have just been renamed.

REALLY disappointed!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

Jan 2013. Lowering the score even more because they've changed the color, consistency and now it's a pile of crapI was surprised that this company made foundations in my tootsie roll brown shade. 6W1 Rich Ginger 13 was exactly my shade. I have very dry skin on my face and use Cetaphil Daily Advance moisturiser as it;s the only thing that has worked to moisturise my skin. I find with this product I don't need as much because as soon as I apply it my skin loosen up. The coverage and feel of it is great and 5 days later it's still working. It also looks good in photos. One thing I did notice was that this color is not on their website so if it's about to be discontinued (June 2011) I'll be buying more of it. Beats pore clogging MAC any day. I think this is probably not for oily skin as i'm reading the reviews and it's the oily skinned people that are having trouble with it.
For darker skinned people the next shade darker than Rich Ginger is Rich Cocoa and then Truffle (which is NC45 in MAC).
1 MONTH UPDATE: This product is now my staple. Nothing else I own matches it in medium buildable coverage. It lasts just as well as Revlon Colorstay and gives the same kind of coverage but doesn't seem to feel as heavy.and it hasn't broken me out or worn off during the day even though I've worked out and been out all day in the hot spring/summer weather.
UPDATE 2:
Nearly 2 months and still no outbreak even though I've worn it to workout in 90 degree weather. It's immovable.
UPDATE 3. 6 months later. Yep still using it. Through 100 degree weather, rain or shine. I'm really surprised I haven;t broken out with this at all.
November 2011. Just saw at Macys that Estee Lauder now has a wider range for darker brown skins in the powder form. They're not bad but the colors are kind of muted (pink undertones).
January 2012. Still using it. One thing I noticed was that my skin seems to have cleared up when using this foundation dramatically from the cystic bumps or whitehead other foundations gave me. I haven't even finished half the bottle yet and it's been 8 months! I love how I don;t need to touch up or use powder with this.
Decemebr 2012 SOmething happened. I bought the same shade but suddenly this foundation is giving me a white/grey looking caste. It's not the same. It looks like they changed the ingredients or something. Anyway something is different about it. It used to have a really strong pigment and now I can see an obvious greyish cast when I look in the mirror after applying it. The longer i have it on the more prominent the caste seems to be. Not good.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 10:40:00 PM More reviews by GacktCamui

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have probably reviewed other foundations in the past and at the time, I might've believed they were my hg foundations, but today, all those claims are now false.

ELDW is my hg foundation. I am extremely oily and acne prone (cystic). At the end of the day, most foundations break up on my skin -- they get splotchy and come right off with a light blot of paper because the oil from my skin practically acts like an oil cleanser and breaks it right up.

ELDW is tough stuff. It controls my oilies like nothing I've seen, not even primers or oil-mattifying powders. Even MAC Blot couldn't control my oilies that well.

I have used many brands of mineral foundation (which I have a hard time parting with because I prefer "natural" make up), MAC SFF, MAC SF, FACE atelier, Chanel Mat Lumiere, Tarte, MUFE Mat Velvet, and some others and ELDW is the only one that looks good from morning to night.

It covers blemishes and dark spots like a dream. Even with ugly red cystic acne and scars, one to two layers takes care of it. I find that I don't even really need to use concealer after.

It's easy to blend out (I prefer fingers -- it never looks as good with a brush). It does dry fairly fast so you gotta work fast. It layers beautifully, and because it dries fast, there's not that much waiting time in between layers. Great for the morning rush.

Yes, it can be mask-like if you already have nice skin. This is a real full coverage foundation and if you don't need full coverage, skip this. If you're oily and you need the coverage, I think you will love this.

I haven't experienced breakouts with this foundation (aside from my normal breakout cycle).

And again, because it's so suited for my oily skin, be sure to moisturize well to minimize any flakies.

I was originally matched to Desert Beige which was fine, but I decided to go slightly darker/warmer for the summer, so I was rematched to Sand. I'm NC20 ish in MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 9:24:00 AM More reviews by bunnymin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me wipe off my tears first...(don't worry, no foundation will be wiped off by tissue paper)
This is the best foundation ever!!! after soooo many years of searching, money spending, disappointment one after another, i finally found my HG foundation!
1, the result is perfect, after applying this, my skin looks so perfect, flawless, that i cannot believe my eyes, that i hate to put down the mirror, that i am envied by so many girls...it covers everything without looking caky or fake at all. just like you have natural perfect skin, if you apply in the right way on the moisturized skin.
2, it stays put, this has soooo many benefits: no compact powder needed anymore, no touch up during the day, no need to worry about oily strips meaning no embarrassment in public anymore, even after hot steamy "love" with your boyfriend/husband, it is still perfect there, you face is still gorgeous plus your man's shirt won't get stained....you can put it on in the morning and without worrying anything, before you take it off at night, it's as perfect as in the morning. last week i got cold, every time i blew my nose with tissue, there was no foundation wiped off by it, amazing! ...cannot say enough about this point, makes me feel so much more confident and secure.
3, the shade 1W1 bone is perfect for me. so hard to find a perfect shade. i don't like to look dark, (btw, i am chinese living in shanghai, we hate looking tanned, lol)
4, it won't cause acne, of course it's not skincare product, but won't blog pores and cause break out.
after so many years, before i gave up searching the perfect foundation. i am soooo grateful!!! to EL, and to all the reviewers here.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2007 2:48:00 PM More reviews by tldavis36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love the way this foundation looks. I just got a sample of it a couple of days ago. I've worn it to work the past two days, and I am loving it. I don't put it on for full coverage. I wear it as thinly as possible (using fingers), even though I need the full coverage for my dark acne spots. I think I'd look too made up if I put it on for full coverage (I may try my foundation brush this weekend). It still minimizes the dark spots pretty good, makes my skin look smooth, and it stays put all day long without separating, like all foundations do on my skin. I do blot a very little on my nose, but the makeup stays put. My 12-year old daughter said it looked good and that the color matched, when the SA put it on my face. You know children will tell you if something doesn't look right. One of my co-workers also commented that it looked good the first day I wore it. I guess my other makeup was looking like crap, because she never mentioned it :>). So, I'm ready to go buy a full-sized bottle. I may wait a little longer though, because I was given two samples of it, so it should last a couple of weeks. The only other thing is I don't know if it's going to make me break out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I am acne-prone (hormonal). Normally, if I'm going to break out from a liquid foundation it'll happen the first day or so (i.e., see my Merle Norman Luxiva Ultra Foundation review). I didn't get any new acne and old stuff (2 or 3) is continuing to heal nicely. For reference, I'm a fair-skinned African American and I was matched to Shell Beige (MAC C40/C5). I have some redness, dark spots and uneven skin tone. I've done a course of Accutane, but still get breakouts. I'm currently using Proactiv and was getting really dry in the chin area, where I have most of my acne. This foundation has not dried me out. As a matter of fact, it's actually been looking better since I've used this the past 2 days (no flakiness). I'll update if I need to lower the rating for breakouts, but for now it's a keeper.---UPDATE 8/10/07---I've been wearing this for a week, and I'm still loving it. I haven't broken out from it either. I think I'm going to wear it another week, just to be on the safe side, before I go buy a full-size bottle. I'm still using my first sample bottle, and I was given 2 samples. I use so little, a full size will probably last a year. Still getting compliments on how good my skin looks with this foundation. Anyway, I'll update next week and if all is still going well, I'll purchase.---UPDATE 8/15/07---I'm going to buy a bottle after work.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by samuellewis

I've had many a sample of this, I'm a Chanel Vitalumiere/Aqua and MAC Face & Body user regularly though I have tried all MAC foundations, the EL Invisible Fluid (see reviews) and the Maximum Cover (which i used as concealer and which BTW IS AMAZING AS CONCEALER) but this foundation has many a problem.

Firstly let me preface this by saying it gives a wonderfully full coverage! It has a semi matte finish but the problems with it are these: Blending, it is a nightmare to blend, i tried stipple, buffing, painting, fingers but what you must use to get the full benefits of this foundation is a damp beauty blender or makeup sponge of some sorts! This sets as soon as it touches your skin leaving you with what can be a big cakey mess and uneven foundation! It dries almost instantly so you need a damp sponge to keep it emolient and blendable.

Secondly if you're a first timer with high end the fact that application is an issue might cause you to dislike the foundation meaning you've wasted your hard earned money and they don't tell you this when purchasing! I don't use powder with it but i do find it lasts all day and the best removal method is an oil, Clarins oil cleanser or Extra virgin olive oil works great it really breaks it down. It's very thick and you can defenitely feel it on the skin when wearing it which i personally didn't like. The light version is also very thick and they both have a tendancy to set into lines and emphasize lines you may not have, i found the best way to combat this was with MAC setting sprays i use charged water but fix + would work the same.

I've give this a 4 because i know that there's a huge niche for this foundation who would love the finish and effect if they apply it properly, but personally it wasn't for me, however it wasn't a bad foundation as it did what it claims to do which is provide a full coverage. Personally, i prefer to use thick concealers and light foundations for a more natural and perfected look, the maximum cover of this acts great as a blemish concealer and is great value for money. Works well with MAC face and body and the Vitalumiere range from Chanel, i use aqua for day and vitalumiere original for nights out. (see reviews) I hope this was helpful guys :)

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by postalwife

I used Double Wear for years and always loved it. However, about three months ago my face started breaking out HORRIBLY. So bad that I was getting ready to go on Accutane --Until I found out that Estee Lauder had recently changed the formula of Double Wear and it was causing a lot of people with acne prone skin problems. A week ago I switched to Clarins foundation to see if it would make a difference and I can thankfully say that my skin is looking better than it has in a very long time. I wrote this review especially for anyone who is having issues with their acne being worse than ever.. if you are using Double Wear then it is probably the culprit! Which really sucks, because this used to be the greatest foundation on the market!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh the beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear...The notorious long-lasting foundation that every women adores. Where do I begin?

I've used DW for almost 5 years. When I initially bought this foundation, my main issues were covering up some hyperpigmentation, long-lasting formula and one that wouldn't turn me into an oil slick after a few hours. Guess what? This little baby addressed all the abovementioned things. And it performed beautifully. I never used a foundation quite like this. I was amazed and astonished that something like this existed for us!

Well, fast forward a few years, I noticed some things about my face. I did notice some consistant clogged pores on my cheeks, a rough texture (almost ruddy) and it dried my face alittle. I didn't like seeing my face like this. Yes, this baby is long lasting therefore you have to use some super magic makeup remover or cleansing oil. Even after using MAC Cleanse Off Oil, I noticed that my face was still rough in texture and dry. And like some reviewers here, this foundation can look cakey and age you in appearance. One thing I should mention is that this foundation did not cause breakouts for me. YAY! Also, I remember walking in NYC heat and when I got to work, I barely made a dent with this foundation. My face was still matte. I stopped using this foundation as my daily go-to. I will save this for special occasions and nights out. Again, I don't want to bash this foundation because I think it does a good job.

Here's my breakdown:

PROS:

Oil-Free
Long-Lasting
Few Ingredients
Does not Transfer
Sweat-Proof
Good Color Selections
Matte Finish
SPF 10
Does not feel heavy once it's set
Easily Available at all dept. stores

CONS:

No Pump (USE MAC's PUMP. It fits)
Difficult to Remove
Dries out Skin
Looks Cakey
Can cause white cast in flash photography
Dries fast so better buff onto skin quick

If you're going for the au natural look, don't look for it here. This is a full covergae foundation that has great potential to camouflage acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and all imperfections. I really don't dislike this foundation but I do feel like daily wear would not be good for the skin. I once saw my face in natural daylight and I was like, OMG! It looks like I have a ton of makeup. Didn't like that.

For women looking for a full-coverage, matte and long lasting foundation, this one is for you. It works despite the cons mentioned. I would recommend using a moisturizer beneath this foundation because it can show dry flakes.

For Reference: I am an NC 30/35. In the winter, I use SAND and in the hotter months with a tan, I use TAWNY.
Retails for about $32-35US.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No