November 22, 2014 | 1461 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

Jan 2013. Lowering the score even more because they've changed the color, consistency and now it's a pile of crapI was surprised that this company made foundations in my tootsie roll brown shade. 6W1 Rich Ginger 13 was exactly my shade. I have very dry skin on my face and use Cetaphil Daily Advance moisturiser as it;s the only thing that has worked to moisturise my skin. I find with this product I don't need as much because as soon as I apply it my skin loosen up. The coverage and feel of it is great and 5 days later it's still working. It also looks good in photos. One thing I did notice was that this color is not on their website so if it's about to be discontinued (June 2011) I'll be buying more of it. Beats pore clogging MAC any day. I think this is probably not for oily skin as i'm reading the reviews and it's the oily skinned people that are having trouble with it.
    For darker skinned people the next shade darker than Rich Ginger is Rich Cocoa and then Truffle (which is NC45 in MAC).
    1 MONTH UPDATE: This product is now my staple. Nothing else I own matches it in medium buildable coverage. It lasts just as well as Revlon Colorstay and gives the same kind of coverage but doesn't seem to feel as heavy.and it hasn't broken me out or worn off during the day even though I've worked out and been out all day in the hot spring/summer weather.
    UPDATE 2:
    Nearly 2 months and still no outbreak even though I've worn it to workout in 90 degree weather. It's immovable.
    UPDATE 3. 6 months later. Yep still using it. Through 100 degree weather, rain or shine. I'm really surprised I haven;t broken out with this at all.
    November 2011. Just saw at Macys that Estee Lauder now has a wider range for darker brown skins in the powder form. They're not bad but the colors are kind of muted (pink undertones).
    January 2012. Still using it. One thing I noticed was that my skin seems to have cleared up when using this foundation dramatically from the cystic bumps or whitehead other foundations gave me. I haven't even finished half the bottle yet and it's been 8 months! I love how I don;t need to touch up or use powder with this.
    Decemebr 2012 SOmething happened. I bought the same shade but suddenly this foundation is giving me a white/grey looking caste. It's not the same. It looks like they changed the ingredients or something. Anyway something is different about it. It used to have a really strong pigment and now I can see an obvious greyish cast when I look in the mirror after applying it. The longer i have it on the more prominent the caste seems to be. Not good.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 10:40:00 PM More reviews by GacktCamui

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have probably reviewed other foundations in the past and at the time, I might've believed they were my hg foundations, but today, all those claims are now false.

ELDW is my hg foundation. I am extremely oily and acne prone (cystic). At the end of the day, most foundations break up on my skin -- they get splotchy and come right off with a light blot of paper because the oil from my skin practically acts like an oil cleanser and breaks it right up.

ELDW is tough stuff. It controls my oilies like nothing I've seen, not even primers or oil-mattifying powders. Even MAC Blot couldn't control my oilies that well.

I have used many brands of mineral foundation (which I have a hard time parting with because I prefer "natural" make up), MAC SFF, MAC SF, FACE atelier, Chanel Mat Lumiere, Tarte, MUFE Mat Velvet, and some others and ELDW is the only one that looks good from morning to night.

It covers blemishes and dark spots like a dream. Even with ugly red cystic acne and scars, one to two layers takes care of it. I find that I don't even really need to use concealer after.

It's easy to blend out (I prefer fingers -- it never looks as good with a brush). It does dry fairly fast so you gotta work fast. It layers beautifully, and because it dries fast, there's not that much waiting time in between layers. Great for the morning rush.

Yes, it can be mask-like if you already have nice skin. This is a real full coverage foundation and if you don't need full coverage, skip this. If you're oily and you need the coverage, I think you will love this.

I haven't experienced breakouts with this foundation (aside from my normal breakout cycle).

And again, because it's so suited for my oily skin, be sure to moisturize well to minimize any flakies.

I was originally matched to Desert Beige which was fine, but I decided to go slightly darker/warmer for the summer, so I was rematched to Sand. I'm NC20 ish in MAC.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 9:24:00 AM More reviews by bunnymin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me wipe off my tears first...(don't worry, no foundation will be wiped off by tissue paper)
    This is the best foundation ever!!! after soooo many years of searching, money spending, disappointment one after another, i finally found my HG foundation!
    1, the result is perfect, after applying this, my skin looks so perfect, flawless, that i cannot believe my eyes, that i hate to put down the mirror, that i am envied by so many girls...it covers everything without looking caky or fake at all. just like you have natural perfect skin, if you apply in the right way on the moisturized skin.
    2, it stays put, this has soooo many benefits: no compact powder needed anymore, no touch up during the day, no need to worry about oily strips meaning no embarrassment in public anymore, even after hot steamy "love" with your boyfriend/husband, it is still perfect there, you face is still gorgeous plus your man's shirt won't get stained....you can put it on in the morning and without worrying anything, before you take it off at night, it's as perfect as in the morning. last week i got cold, every time i blew my nose with tissue, there was no foundation wiped off by it, amazing! ...cannot say enough about this point, makes me feel so much more confident and secure.
    3, the shade 1W1 bone is perfect for me. so hard to find a perfect shade. i don't like to look dark, (btw, i am chinese living in shanghai, we hate looking tanned, lol)
    4, it won't cause acne, of course it's not skincare product, but won't blog pores and cause break out.
    after so many years, before i gave up searching the perfect foundation. i am soooo grateful!!! to EL, and to all the reviewers here.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2007 2:48:00 PM More reviews by tldavis36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love the way this foundation looks. I just got a sample of it a couple of days ago. I've worn it to work the past two days, and I am loving it. I don't put it on for full coverage. I wear it as thinly as possible (using fingers), even though I need the full coverage for my dark acne spots. I think I'd look too made up if I put it on for full coverage (I may try my foundation brush this weekend). It still minimizes the dark spots pretty good, makes my skin look smooth, and it stays put all day long without separating, like all foundations do on my skin. I do blot a very little on my nose, but the makeup stays put. My 12-year old daughter said it looked good and that the color matched, when the SA put it on my face. You know children will tell you if something doesn't look right. One of my co-workers also commented that it looked good the first day I wore it. I guess my other makeup was looking like crap, because she never mentioned it :>). So, I'm ready to go buy a full-sized bottle. I may wait a little longer though, because I was given two samples of it, so it should last a couple of weeks. The only other thing is I don't know if it's going to make me break out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I am acne-prone (hormonal). Normally, if I'm going to break out from a liquid foundation it'll happen the first day or so (i.e., see my Merle Norman Luxiva Ultra Foundation review). I didn't get any new acne and old stuff (2 or 3) is continuing to heal nicely. For reference, I'm a fair-skinned African American and I was matched to Shell Beige (MAC C40/C5). I have some redness, dark spots and uneven skin tone. I've done a course of Accutane, but still get breakouts. I'm currently using Proactiv and was getting really dry in the chin area, where I have most of my acne. This foundation has not dried me out. As a matter of fact, it's actually been looking better since I've used this the past 2 days (no flakiness). I'll update if I need to lower the rating for breakouts, but for now it's a keeper.---UPDATE 8/10/07---I've been wearing this for a week, and I'm still loving it. I haven't broken out from it either. I think I'm going to wear it another week, just to be on the safe side, before I go buy a full-size bottle. I'm still using my first sample bottle, and I was given 2 samples. I use so little, a full size will probably last a year. Still getting compliments on how good my skin looks with this foundation. Anyway, I'll update next week and if all is still going well, I'll purchase.---UPDATE 8/15/07---I'm going to buy a bottle after work.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh the beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear...The notorious long-lasting foundation that every women adores. Where do I begin?

I've used DW for almost 5 years. When I initially bought this foundation, my main issues were covering up some hyperpigmentation, long-lasting formula and one that wouldn't turn me into an oil slick after a few hours. Guess what? This little baby addressed all the abovementioned things. And it performed beautifully. I never used a foundation quite like this. I was amazed and astonished that something like this existed for us!

Well, fast forward a few years, I noticed some things about my face. I did notice some consistant clogged pores on my cheeks, a rough texture (almost ruddy) and it dried my face alittle. I didn't like seeing my face like this. Yes, this baby is long lasting therefore you have to use some super magic makeup remover or cleansing oil. Even after using MAC Cleanse Off Oil, I noticed that my face was still rough in texture and dry. And like some reviewers here, this foundation can look cakey and age you in appearance. One thing I should mention is that this foundation did not cause breakouts for me. YAY! Also, I remember walking in NYC heat and when I got to work, I barely made a dent with this foundation. My face was still matte. I stopped using this foundation as my daily go-to. I will save this for special occasions and nights out. Again, I don't want to bash this foundation because I think it does a good job.

Here's my breakdown:

PROS:

Oil-Free
    Long-Lasting
    Few Ingredients
    Does not Transfer
    Sweat-Proof
    Good Color Selections
    Matte Finish
    SPF 10
    Does not feel heavy once it's set
    Easily Available at all dept. stores

CONS:

No Pump (USE MAC's PUMP. It fits)
    Difficult to Remove
    Dries out Skin
    Looks Cakey
    Can cause white cast in flash photography
    Dries fast so better buff onto skin quick

If you're going for the au natural look, don't look for it here. This is a full covergae foundation that has great potential to camouflage acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and all imperfections. I really don't dislike this foundation but I do feel like daily wear would not be good for the skin. I once saw my face in natural daylight and I was like, OMG! It looks like I have a ton of makeup. Didn't like that.

For women looking for a full-coverage, matte and long lasting foundation, this one is for you. It works despite the cons mentioned. I would recommend using a moisturizer beneath this foundation because it can show dry flakes.

For Reference: I am an NC 30/35. In the winter, I use SAND and in the hotter months with a tan, I use TAWNY.
    Retails for about $32-35US.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2005 9:10:00 AM More reviews by beaheretic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first i made a hasty decision with the product: i decided to buy off the internet. My advice? DO NOT DO THIS as the colour samples shown on the Estee lauder homepage are wrong, wrong, wrong!

As for some of the reviews for this product, many are also wrong, so im going to clear things up!

Firstly, Shell 1C1, Ecru 1N1 and Bone 1W1 are the LIGHTEST COLOURS!! Please for god's sake don't say what you THINK is the lihtest colour when actually you haven't bothered to see! Its really irritating and if peole are using reviews to consider a buy it could turn out a complete waste of their money.

and secondly, they DO sell these lightest colours in the UK, and Fresco ISNT the lightest one; see www.garden.co.uk ( they are based in covent garden, do next day delivery and sport all the colours in their boutique.

Right, now on with the product review....

Basically i chose Shell because it is for cool/pink undertones and i am pretty much ghost white in terms of skin colour (as for their others, ecru is for neutral tones and bone is for warm,beige undertones).

When i first looked at the colour on the back of my hand, i was very dubious as to whether it would be light enough for my skin, especially as this foundation has pretty opaque coverage.

The trick is, undoubtedly, to moisturise well otherwise this foundation WILL leave you looking very chalky and as if you're about to shatter.

I have very oily skin so this foundation did a really good job of smoothing out my skin, mattifying it, and of course what it claims to do: staying put.

This foundation certainly does that and is resistant to almost anything. Taking it off can be VERY hard so if you apply with your fingers, which i would recommend anyway, make sure you remove it from the back of your hand instantly otherwise you will be pulling and tugging at your skin for ages. Because the amount of sebum my glands produce is ridiculous anyway, getting it off is not such a mammoth task for me, but if you have dry/very dry skin i wouldn't really recommend this foundation for you. Most long lasting foundations in general are for oily/normal type skins - sorry!

Be economical with this foundation; a little goes a veyr long way and the consistency is very thick - at first i thought similar to glue - so you only need a little bit. It dries relatively quickly, so you have your make-up done in 20 mins if you're pushing it. I like this foundation, however i would like to see maybe a shade lighter for us PPPs; however, if you are very pale, do give it ago because it does turn out differently in colour ( a lot lighter) in comparison to when you just dab it on the back of your hand.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by kptgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this makeup! They could easily name it the "Official Makeup for Menopause", because no matter how much I sweat, the makeup stays on all day.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2012 8:13:00 AM More reviews by thealmightyboots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation.
    There are things that I hate about it, but for all that I will repurchase when my bottle runs out (soon)
    for reference, I'm quite pale with combination skin, and have this in Ecru.
    THE GOOD
    -The best staying power of any foundation. ever. you can dance the night away, go swimming, this stuff will. not. budge.
    -Very high coverage, looks impeccable.
    -Good for oily skin - I actually use a tiny amount just as a base for my nose if I'm wearing one of those dewy foundations that is loved by the rest of my skin, but will turn my nose into an oil slick by lunchtime.
    THE BAD
    -smells like paint...dulux?
    -can look a bit heavy/cakey, ok for night wear, but I don't think I'd use this for day wear.
    -makes it hard to blend other products put on top of it - ie. blush, powder shadow, bronzer.
    -horrible bottle. just awful. wastes a huge amount of product because you have to pour it out of a wide glass bottle neck. seriously, how hard would it be to have a pump pack?
    THE UGLY
    -my very acne resilient skin would break out if I used this on a regular basis.
    - and this is what prevents me from using this more...now, given the high coverage, porcelain like finish, and incredible staying power, one would think it would make a good 'special occasion' foundation...right? that's what I thought - I looked beautifully made up and flawless at a wedding, until I saw the photos...In which I was an enormous white ghostly head floating floating around the celebrations...no...it doesn't photograph well.

so, I'll keep it in the collection as a sort of concealer/primer/halloween makeup just for the sheer (sorry, matte) mightiness of the staying power, but if you're looking for an everyday or versatile foundation, keep looking!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2011 12:46:00 AM More reviews by VioletThunderstorm

I found this after an extremely exhaustive search for a foundation to wear to my daughter's wedding. I am 46 and have combo skin, with minimal wrinkling, some acne scars and under-eye circles. This foundation was beautiful on my skin AND my daughter chose it also to wear on the wedding day. It stood up through tears, sweat (90 degree Houston weather) and photographed beautifully. I was prompted to write this review when I read several people warning against it in photographs (or any titanium dioxide foundation) It is very important to know that if a PRO photographer is taking your picture, you will be fine, what causes "white face" is a HEAD-ON flash, in other words, an amateur photographer, pros either use a diffuser or do not point the flash directly forward. We were photographed by at least 7 different cameras and some were not even pro, and our skin looked beautiful in all photos, flawless. I just don't want anyone to miss out on this lovely foundation that is perfect for events because of this misconception. I am a NW20 and I wear Fresco. Ask for a sample, you will get a generous one at the Estee counter.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2011 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Ellen1980

Ok here are my thoughts on Estee Lauder Double Wear.

Colour:
    I am an NC45 in MAC and I have to say that I was disappointed with the colours in Doublwear. I was matched to Bronze, and I am certain that was the best matching shade, so that is not the issue. The issue is that I find EL's foundations to be slightly pink in tone, rather than yellow like MAC. When I put the DW on it just looked pinky, and I did not like it.

Coverage:
    The coverage is good and it does last the whole day. However the foundation has a very thick consistency to it, almost like runny glue. I found it hard to apply as you have to be very careful not too apply too much. I also found it did not spread that easily. I think this foundation takes longer to apply, as you have to do it in small sections. Maybe if you applied it with a damp sponge it might be easier to apply, but I only use a flat top kabuki, as I do not really like using sponges.

Breathability/Reactions With Skin:
    Despite the heavy texture, it did not feel that bad on my face. I was sparing in my application of it though, Once it dries it goes kind of sticky and tacky, like it is literally stuck to your face. It does stay put all day though. This did not break me out, so that was a good point.

Longevity:
    Did last for about 9 hours. Did have to use some blot powder after about 5 hours, but I have quite oily skin, so it did perform better than other foundations I have used.

Cost:
    It is a bit pricey, but it does last all day.

Bottle:
    Glass bottle. Nice but scary in case you drop it. Has a screw cap, which is yucky. I have no idea when you always hear people moaning about the lack of a pump, make up companies still make foundations with no pump! It would look nice if if had a golden plastic pump on it. Apparently the MAC pump fits anyway (Estee Lauder does own MAC after all and many other cosmetic brands so no surprise there!)

Overall:
    If you are quite fair in skin tone, and have a pink undertone then DW is great. However if you are more olive/yellow undertone then I would not go for this foundation. In my opinion DW is more of a foundation for special occasions. I think it is too heavy to wear everyday. I do not hate the foundation, but for the money I paid it did not do anything outstanding.

I found MAC's Pro Longwear to be better as it matched better and it is not as thick as DW, so I felt it had more flexibility as it is buildable. DW just feels hard to manipulate. I hope this review is useful x

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No