October 26, 2014 | 1302 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Or et Noir

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2006 6:52:00 PM More reviews by freegracer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love feysparrow's review below and agree totally. As much as I admire Caron's urn fragrances, I am sorry to admit that Or et Noir does not work well with my chemistry. Epithets like musty, fusty and dusty come to mind. It's like a clash of a musty green note jostling against a dusty rose with old powder sprinkled in the background, and it doesn't particularly work for me. I will say, though, that a while into the drydown the rose begins to sparkle, and that's the part I look forward to. Many of the reviews here are so complimentary of this parfum that I wish Or et Noir were more successful with my chemistry. Its daughter, Parfum Sacre, is one of my favorites, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2005 9:02:00 AM More reviews by aalto

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Or et Noir is mysterious and utterly ravishing. As another reviewer noted, Or et Noir is roses at twilight. The initial experience is the scent of deep pink roses at full bloom in a verdant cutting garden, with just a hint of things to come. Surprisingly, it moves through an ever so subtle rose Turkish delight phase on my skin! The drydown is an enchanting blend of wood, amber and oakmoss. I also detect similarities with Nuit de Noel’s drydown, another stunning fragrance. This is a very complex and emotional scent and yet refined at the same time. I have not encountered any similar rose scents, although Santa Maria Novella’s Rosa has a slightly reminiscent note.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2005 12:40:00 PM More reviews by raincheck

Beautiful and strong rose with spices and incense. I think it must have been the inspiration for Une Rose by Frederick Malle. As they both have the same intense and overpowering rose with the background of spices, incense and patchouli. However, just like Une Rose this takes on a distinctive "bugspray" drydown. I still swoon for the stunning top notes. Those who love this fragrance must try Une Rose, a slightly more modern version of this classic.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2005 6:13:00 PM More reviews by moogiemyer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Boy, this is some intense rose fragrance!I love,love,love rose scents and this will quench any desire for it. To me it's 100% pure rose. I adore it.I like it, I love it and I can't get enough of it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2005 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Mireille1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is one of those fragrances that intimidates me. A dense, dense chypre of a vintage style of perfumery, it is very difficult for me to do one of my "here are the notes, here are the emotions they elicit" reviews of this. It just has too much substance ... I put it on in the early evening last night ... and the heaviness of the initial scent was a bit alienating. It's as if the perfumer is a painter, laying down a thick impasto of the oil colors he will later access for his image ... and then he (or time) strips away layers and layers until the most essential and beautiful image remains. Many things are going on in that initial dense layer of scent. Per Victoria, the notes are Bulgarian rose, centifolia rose and geranium; Anatolian rose, lilac and carnation, oakmoss and woody amber. Out of this heavy swirling cloud, my chemistry first pulls out the roses, oakmoss and geranium ... and it is heady. This was what first presented itself last night. As the evening progressed, the oakmoss (agent of chypre-ness and density) and geranium receded and the roses moved forward. But the most surprising element to me was the spicy carnation that -- about two hours into the wearing -- asserted itself. All of a sudden. Lasted for about a quarter of an hour and then the roses and a touch of amber reclaimed the scent. What was that about? I don't know -- but it is an example of how extraordinarily complex this perfume is. Complexity throughout ... and then, as it fades, elemental beauty.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2005 1:33:00 PM More reviews by emmazamora2000

Many thanks to MUA for introducing me to Caron and Or et Noir, in particular. I've been looking for my signature scent and this could be it. I ordered it as a 5ml decant from ebay-- purely from reviews here at MUA. And I'm not disappointed. It's simply a beautiful scent, and very womanly. More womanly than feminine. Did anyone say 'dark'? I don't smell the darkness in this perfume, just 'loveliness'. Lovely, lovely, and the scent floats around in a non-offensive way. Great staying power too. Update: This has indeed become my HG scent. Luckily the mustiness/spiciness phase--which I have begun to love by now-- stays for only 20minutes on my skin. I get to enjoy the creamiest of rose scents for the rest of the 4-5 hours this lasts on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2005 5:52:00 PM More reviews by picnicmidge

The most beautiful "rose" scent I've tried. It is my favorite Caron extrait. The imagery I receive, while enjoying this exquisite scent, is that of an Victorian age. The color I see and feel is soft pink. This is a very feminine scent, that evokes much beauty. This is a perfume I hope to always have a bottle of. Full Bottle Worthy, a rose scent, not to be missed. My holy grail.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2005 8:45:00 AM More reviews by lilybp

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The reviewers here have done a far better job than I could, so I will just say that I find this amazingly lovely--and that it makes me feel completely beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2005 7:30:00 PM More reviews by Maller

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My first thought with Or et Noir is that some romantic soul has covered a bed with a thick layer of soft, silky rose petals and I've fallen back on it...however, I suddenly sit up as I notice that the bed is right next to a large window open wide to the bright afternoon sun. What takes this vision with Or et Noir out of the evening is the rather pronounced geranium note I get in the opening. For me at least, geranium is one of those flower notes that simply doesn't exist after sundown. It's strictly a bright daytime note. I also pick up on a carnation note, but to my nose the geranium is the dominant one along with the oriental rose. This is not a criticism at all...it's a gorgeous, lush rose, but it definitely wavers somewhere between day and evening in mood. As it dries down the geranium recedes and it becomes a richer, darker oriental rose with a woodsy base and that window gets closed. Definitely one of the more beautiful rose scents I've ever smelled.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2005 1:28:00 PM More reviews by desiree_e

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I loved reading the reviews here. This doesn't smell dark to me though. Weird. smellslikeleaves compares to Ce Soir. Ce Soir is also one of my most favorite rose scents. Probably my only favorite. Ce Soir is very dark to me--I always say that on me it smells like wine, roses, and then cocoa butter in the drydown. Very dark and sexy. Or et Noir, on the other hand, smells really light and airy. Not heavy to me-- a light, sort of powdery, smooth and clean rose scent. I would wear this during the day. I also love FdTRB, but that is so fresh and "real" to me. I wear that on hot summer days because it is so cool, watery and refreshing. This is a bit more powdery to me, and reminds me a tiny bit of Floris' White Rose. A really soft, light, very wearable rose scent. I WILL buy this. It's truly beautiful.