Clarins Santal Face Treatment oil

4.5

Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Elettaria Cardamomum Oil, Carum Petroselinum (Parsley) Seed Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Fragrance, Linalool, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citral.

on 12/23/2010 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I had previously had used Decleor Oils, but I was tired of ordering online. Being a fan of Clarins anyhow, I asked the SA if they still made the Face oils. Apparently, even though they don't put these on display they are the cornerstone products for the Clarins company. I don't think people realize how good they are.

The Santal Oil is a botanical based and lavender smelling facial oil that is meant for Very dry, Dehydrated, irritated and sensitive skin. Even ladies with Rosacea may be able to use it. What I like about thise oil rather than the ones from Decleor is that even though it has a Lavender smell, it's not as strong as Decleor. This oil is THE only thing that is healing my Tazorac-dried out face. I've tried every moisturizer, even resorting to Aquaphor (which clogs my pores). This does not clog my pores, calms my red, dry irritated skin. It's oily going on but within 10 minutes, It's sunk into my skin and leaves it soft and dewy, not oily. It's a saving "Face" product for sure. I thought my face was going crack and bleed from the Taz but his has helped tremendously in getting rid of that dry, tight feeling in a matter of days. I understand that it is also supposed to overtime, tighten pores. We shall see about that. I am impressed with this product. It's the most expensive oil I've every bought but worth every dang-on penny.

on 6/15/2010 8:56:00 PM

Really nice -- I had read about it here and then when buying Clarins products the SA at the Bay gave me a sample of this. Applying oil to my face feels odd and yes, it does make it greasy (I only apply at night), but about 5 minutes after applying my skin tone evens out completely, with all redness gone. I've tried heavy-duty Shiseido creams at night but they tend to block my pores -- this doesn't.

Update: This is a wonderful product. Have been using it off and on for about four months now. I put it on at night and wake up with incredibly soft, radiant skin. And each use hardly even makes a dent in my little sample bottle! When I run out of the sample, I will definitely buy. This is the best night product out there.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Yes, my skin is noticeably softer in the mornings when I use this oil the night before. But its greasiness really puzzles me, it never sinks into my skin. The smell is very strong! And I really, really hate its packaging, 'cause it has no pump or something, and it's very easy to broke the glass bottle. On the other side, it is very emollent and the bottle seems to last forever. I've tried this on dry skin (less moisturizing, less greasy) and after different toning lotions (more moisturizing, but never sinks in).

on 2/16/2010 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This oil is fantastic! Put it on before bed and wake up with super smooth skin. Smells wonderful and is expensive, but will last forever. The bottle is a bit annoying, i spilled out half my bottle because of that, so be careful.

There are three different kinds and I've tried the blue orchid too, but santal is my favorite.

Update: Now when my skin is acne prone, it feels odd to apply oil. This doesn't suit my skin type anymore. Jojoba oil is cheaper and better. I'll not change the rating, it's still a good oil IF it suits your skin. Now, I've putted this on my swap list. Good bye, once fantastic facial oil!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am really enjoying this product. I used to throw out the samples of oils I received in the old days - why??? It's great. I am currently testing the Santal oil because I had a bad reaction to the Clarins botanical tightening serum and the SA suggested the Santal oil to start to calm my skin. I was told by the facialist to actually mix it with water when applying because it will enhance absorption significantly. This is true - after cleansing and toning, I spray my face with thermal water (La Roche Posay, Avene) then apply the oil directly on the skin and pat in. It absorbs very quickly and my skin feels less itchy and tight right away. In a half hour, it is pretty much absorbed but my skin does not feel dry or tight at all - in fact, it feels smooth and soft and it feels like there is a cream in it. The redness also appears to be reduced. My skin does not look tight or have as many of those little dry lines that make me look all puckered up close! I have tried to use the gentle cream on top of it but that actually seemed to leave me with drier skin in the morning than if I use the oil alone, but I will still experiment and will update if there is a change. All in all, very pleased.

on 2/8/2009 7:48:00 PM

I have been using this product for several months now, and overall I think it is a good product. I love how moisturizing it is and I love the lavender like scent. It says that it is supposed to improve redness, but I haven't noticed any improvement in that area. I love that this product is more natural (being made of essential oils), but I don't know that works better or does anything more than a daily moisturizer. So, I am not sure if I would buy this again, but maybe.

on 10/1/2008 4:24:00 AM

I like to give it 4.5 overall:P...and 3.5 for price haha...but yes this is another one of my fav products :D personally i think its the best clarins oil outta the three even though my skin get oily sometimes:P

hmm this stuff is too potent and i tend to waste alot esp with the jar-.- i wish there was a way to use this sorta pricey product economically...maybe dilute this with some other cream.oil (but im lazy)

lastly...use this stuff a couple days in a row...the results will "build"....hmmm o ya i dont think this is too good for the summer as skin tends to get "sticky",,,perfect for winter/canada skin.

on 8/8/2008 6:31:00 AM

dry sensitive skin. tried everything. got a sample of this and was so impressed. definitely plumps up the skin a bit and leaves it smooth with no irritation. this is a must have and even after washing teeth in middle of day i reach for it to pat on lips and mouth area again. neck area is showing great improvement but will report back in cold dry winter with waddle updates. saving the little sample bottle to refill for overseas flights. great also is the body tonic oil. not as impressed with their "anti eau" body treatment oil. my skin gets a bit crinkly with that one.

on 5/4/2008 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I like this a lot. It's great to have an oil handy if you're dry and you know that jojoba won't do the job because it's not moisturizing enough. A very oily oil this is, and little is needed to get the job done. I can see that with regular use this container will take me quite awhile to empty. The scent could be a problem for some, it's almost musty, almost too "natural" I think. I like the container because it screws on tight and doesn't leak. EDIT 10/12/08: I use this after getting out of the pool after swimming laps. It puts all the moisture back in my tight dry skin very quickly. I've upped this to a 5.

on 11/16/2007 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love santal oil. It is--literally--the only item for skin that I have actually used up in the past couple of years. (usually I get sucked in by some new gimmick, try a product, and either it clogs my pores or it doesn't do anything.) Santal oil seems to be the best hydrator for my dry but easily-cloggged sensitive skin. Im not super sensitive, however--those with extremely sensitive skin might be irritated by the essential oils in this. Honestly, I don't know exactly what's in it because the Clarins website only gives you the "generalized" ingredients--the only way to get a complete listing is to save the box, so Im not sure what potential irritants are in it, but it is the best for my dry, dry skin. Ive used other oil treatments before (Aveda, Decleor, EO) but this is the mildest and most effective.
I use it over Alpha Hydrox 12% or another exfoliator and it moisturizes superbly, and helps to soothe any redness I might be having in my cheeks. I love it, sometimes I use it morning, noon, and night. I am now ordering another bottle. The bottle kinda sucks though, you have to be careful with it.

Popular Treatments (Face)