MAC Matte - Shadowy Lady

4.1

on 5/16/2011 7:40:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I was really excited for this eyeshadow, but quickly got disappointed after I tried to wear it. The color payoff is not great. It goes on very sheer, However, with more use, I've found ways I like to use it. It's great to darken up the outer corner without it looking bold, and I also like to use it as a liner sometimes (I have to wet my angle brush first though or it just won't show up). I was hoping that this eyeshadow would be a lot more pigmented but I am glad to have it in my collection and I can definitely find some use for it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

Honestly, I was a little nervous about this shadow because the reviews here aren't the greatest. But it's actually one of my favorite colors that I bought. Makes a *great* liner. It also makes my green eyes POP. I can't rave enough about this shadow. If I ever hit pan then I will definitely repurchase. I will warn you though if you want really pigmented blackish/purple then this is not the color for you. It goes on very sheer, which is perfect for me because I can't pull off almost blacks.

on 2/15/2011 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beautiful dark purple in the pan, but doesn't apply that way at all, this has no pigmentation at all, you can swatch and swatch and get nothing out of it. It's really too bad. I got mine brand new from a MAC store so I know there is nothing wrong with it... totally disappointed.

on 2/12/2011 7:11:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love matte shadows, but this one is terrible! As others have mentioned, it doesn't apply evenly and is difficult to blend out. I love the idea of this color as a nice alternative to black, but it is so dry and hard to work with. It even takes some effort to use it as a liner as the color comes off so sheer. There are much better matte shadows out there, including many in the MAC range that have a totally different texture. This color is a definite flop--don't waste your money!

on 1/17/2011 1:33:00 PM

While the color is pretty (MAC MA gave me this to go with Satin Taupe) and I don't mind that it's sheer (I'd rather build up the color myself) this goes on so splotchy. I've pretty much given up on it as a crease color, but it makes and EXCELLENT shadow for eyeliner. I don't even wet my brush, just dab it on and it creates a beautiful soft eyeliner.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I bought Shadowy Lady as a crease color to accompany Shale/Vex/Vapour, and I'm sad to say that it's not the best shadow MAC offers.

As others have mentioned, it applies sheerly and -- more damning than that -- unevenly. With my best blending brush and my best efforts, I just can't get this to apply without leaving splotches. More often than not, I'm supplementing my crease with Copperplate, Shale, or Print or something to even it out.

Were it not so difficult to work with, Shadowy Lady would be a staple in my cool-toned neutrals palette. But once I hit the pan, I'll probably go searching for something else.

on 11/21/2010 4:00:00 PM

I was kind of iffy about this product when i first bought it but im starting to really fall in love with it. Its very matte so it takes some getting use to and a little bit of work. I find it works really well with woodwinked and cork for a neautral look and for a more fun look it looks great paired with nocturnelle and stars n rockets. I would definatley purchase this color again.

on 10/25/2010 7:01:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Lately I've been using this color quite often. I use it in the crease and as a liner (using my MAC 214 brush). For me, the color goes on well. What I like about it is that depending on how you apply, it can go on sheer but can also be built up to be darker. I have dark grey blue eyes and this color really pulls out the blue. I use it with Shroom, Satin Taupe, Shale, Naked Lunch or UD Sin. Often I'll put Shadowy Lady in the V and then fill the V with Trax and blend towards the center of my lid.

on 10/24/2010 6:54:00 PM

Agree with the reviewer who said that this color is extremely sheer. It's a dark blackish purple but it goes on the eye extremely light. It takes so much to get a color payoff. This one is going back to the store. Wish I'd tested it on my eye rather than just swatching my hand.

on 10/10/2010 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Usually, MAC matte eyeshadows are very pigmented and true to color, but not in this case unfortunately! The color is sooooooooo sheer it's insane! Also, the color in the pot looks like a very dark purple, almost black but on the eyes it's a very sheer greyish purple that simple looks dirty. Terrible product overall, which is disapointing for one of my favorite brands.

Top Rated MAC Products