MAC Satin - Grain

4.5

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Grain is something i reach for a lot when i want a clean look that is almost matte, but a little heavy in the crease. i apply this from lid to right under my eyebrow, and then what i've enjoyed doing lately is to put 'Shadowy Lady' in the outer corner and blend 'Haux' lightly over it all. i find with that, i get this multitonal purpley matte-but-not-matte look.
but back to the actual colour of Grain, this reminds me a little bit like the inside of a shell. very soft pale beige with a hint of dewiness. on my eyelids, it settles as just that. a nude like 'Brule' but with a dewiness that looks like it comes naturally from my skin. i find that it's also a little easier to blend colours over this than it is with 'Brule'.
the one negative with this is, it's a bit hard to pack this onto my lid and build up, it's a little chalky. but what i find helps with this, is to apply it with more of a denser brush that you can really get into the eyeshadow with. you could also try this wet or over a darker base if you are unhappy with its payoff.
i would repurchase this because although it's not a 'special' colour i've found that i've been reaching for it a lot when i have something specific in mind, and it's also very pretty. a useful shade!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

MAC Grain is a lovely light warm beige with a unique sheen.
It brings a subtle light to my NC35 eyelids which looks quietly polished. It is like my eyelids but a touch lighter and better. I usually use Cork for my crease and they make a great pair.

Grain has a satin finish and applies well and blends with ease. My perfect everyday neutral lid shade!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

LOVE this eyeshadow!! I was in search for something natural for work that I could just rub all over my lid and add some Mystery or Charcoal Brown on top or as a liner, and this is a perfect neutral for me. I am NC20, really yellow. So yellow in fact that this color actually shows up a little peachy on me, which I love, because it neutralizes and highlights what would otherwise be blue/purplish dark areas on the inner corners of my eyes. And I like that the texture isn't extremely glittery or crazy shiny, but has just enough zip to look professional and polished. I got a shadow from Sally's called Champagne by a company called Palladio... it's one of those "baked" shadows. When I put it on, I looked like a sparkly drag queen and had to mix some cheap maybelline matte eyeshadow on top of it. Great for going out which I don't do that much anymore because I'm getting older, but no bueno for work. Grain is really the best of both worlds if you want a natural, pretty and polished look. I don't know what everyone else's deal is about not getting this to show up - the color payoff is just as good as any of Mac's other eyeshadows.

I got this as a Back to MAC which is unfortunate because I can't return it.
The texture is terrible. I cannot get the colour to show up on me (NC15-20). With primer, without primer, wet, or dry. Nothing. It is a complete waste.
I'm starting to expect this hit-or-miss experience from MAC eyeshadows, in terms of texture/pigmentation issues. Its great that they have so many colours but whats the point if they wont show up on the lid? MAC will not be a go-to for eyeshadow for me in the future.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Neutral to warm skin tone, NC25/NW25ish.

Grain is a light beige color. When I wear it on my lids it's quite soft, doesn't show up too much unless I pack it on.. I use Grain on my eyelids when I want a very natural look with Cork in the crease. I tend to use this color more as a brow highlight or inner eye highlighter. It gives more of a soft highlight look.

Grain has a satin finish and it not shimmery.

I would repurchase

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like the colour - it's a 50-50 orange and pink, so it doesn't really lean to any side. I really wanted such a colour for a no-makeup-look My problem is: I can't get it to show up, because of it's texture :( It's one of those shadows I end up rubbing for a long time before I get any colour pay-off, which also ruins my brush. If it was easy to work with, I would love this, but it gets that sheen on top that bad cheap shadows usually get, although I know this one is a real MAC one. I may try it as a highlighter in the summer, but for now, I don't like this at all.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is my favorite highlighter. The color is extremely natural and adds a beautiful shimmer and couldn't be easier to apply the perfect amount. It's also extremely versatile because it will match any eye shadow! If you're looking for a natural look, you could only use this color just to add some sparkle!

Very pretty satin medium-beige. This is a perfect neutral for my eyes, slightly darker than my skintone (NW 15). Very good quality, very easy to work with. I'm pleased with this eyeshadow.

I was looking for ages for the perfect my lids but better colour for me and so far didn't really have any luck. Finally I found this colour and I love it. It was just what I was looking for. It is a lovely natural peachy, shimmery colour which gives a nice sheen to your lids. It also works great in the inner corner too. I couldn't use it as a highlight as im very pale but this would work great as a highlight for darker skintones as well.

It has a lovely texture, is nicely pigmented and goes on very smooth.

I would definitely repurchase whenever I run out.

Grain is the perfect, my-lids-but-better color. It's a soft, peachy pink skin-tone color that doesn't lean too pink or too peach or too yellow. The pictures here don't do it justice. It has a soft, flattering sheen - no frost. I like to use this as an all-over lid color, an inner corner highlight, browbone highlight, or even a cheekbone highlight. It's such a pretty, staple shadow. I can't sing enough praises. If you are slightly cool-toned and have problems finding that perfect versatile lid shade, do yourself a favor and pick this up.

Top Rated MAC Products