OPI Natural Nail Base Coat

3.7

Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Ethyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Polyvinyl Butyral, Nitrocellulose, Camphor, Benzophenone 1, Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Protein, Keratin Amino Acids, D&C Red 33

I've only just started using this, so I probably shouldn't really review it yet, but I thought I'd at least note my initial thoughts.
I got this quite cheap, $12.95 AU. Not sure what base coats cost here but as a guide OPI polishes are $19.95 AU.
I've never used a proper base coat before, if I used one at all I'd use Nail Envy or something similar and I always found them a bit thick, and sometimes made my polish chip or interfered with it adhering. Most of the time I get the best wear out of my polish with no basecoat at all!
This is nice and thin and dried very quickly, which I like a lot. It's tinted pink but dries clear. The pink actually helps me see where I've put it, which I like. I did have some minor bubbling in my polish, but I suspect that was more about the polish than the base coat- it was OPI In my back pocket, which I think needs a drop or two of thinner.
The experiment continues!

on 10/20/2012 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a pretty decent base coat. It applies well and it dries very fast, unlike the top coat. It was the first higher end base coat I've purchased, and it does work better than drugstore base coats, since it actually prevents staining, which is something that really frustrates me about low-quality base coats. It isn't the most amazing product I've used, but it gets the job done. I just purchased the Essie First Base Base Coat today, so I plan on trying that out and comparing it to the OPI base coat.

on 10/3/2012 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I keep buying this. 4 or 5 times. it dries fast, smooth, thin, nice brush.
it gets gloppy when it's 2/3 is done, but i'm ok.

on 5/16/2012 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I've been using this base coat for a long time now and I'm still very pleased with it. It's easy to spread and it dries in no time. The base coat itself is slightly pink but that doesn't really show up on my nails. Even when I'm not wearing any colours, I still use this base coat because it has a nice shine to it. I do have to say that sometimes my nails get a bit yellow, but only a little bit.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

When i first got this i loved it , but now almost a year later i figured out it causes ugly white marks on my nails , possibly because it adheres so hard to the nail that it causes the surface of the nail to chip off with the polish . I will be looking for another base coat that is compatible with my opi nail polishes.

on 5/3/2012 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've been using this base coat for over a year and it's still my favorite. It applies easily, smooth, dries fast, and has a tiny bit of a pink tone. Highly recommended.

on 5/1/2012 2:21:00 AM

I am totally in love with this base coat! Dries super quick and adheres incredibly well with my polishes making the colour last longer. However there is one downfall to this product, my nails do get stained when i use darker nailpolishes. Boo! Other than that i really love this base coat

on 4/19/2012 10:11:00 PM

This is really the only base coat I have used and it seems to work well. It dries super quick and is perfectly thick. I have no complaints. My nails still chip within 3 days usually so I wouldnt say this is a miracle product but it works well and prevents stained nails when using dark polish.

on 4/15/2012 5:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This prevents staining, it lasts a hell of a long time and I love the pink tinge. It dries incredibly fast and the colour adheres lovely. my god hg for sure

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This stuff is wonderful to my nails. I got it in 2008 at Ulta with 4 other nail polishes. OPI is a brand of polish that ISN'T going to dry up after 3-4 years. This feels natural, it doesn't smell chemical-y like some base coats that are fast-drying or are more gimmicky in some senses. This is natural and is great if you like to keep a sheer base coat on your nails when you don't have polish on just to protect them so they won't break and will look shiny. The bottle got stuck because of the way the formula dries, the top got stuck and I couldn't get it open even with pliers for like a year and a half...but finally did by sitting the bottle in warm water to loosen up (grandma's idea, and a great one at that). Just make sure you don't drip polish down the outside of the top of the bottle. Great formula, fast drying, natural feeling, and also works for nail polish (though if you're afraid of yellowing you might want to get one specifically for preventing yellowing, or a thicker formula)

Top Rated OPI Products