October 21, 2014 | 1856 users online

Conditioner - Giovanni - Smooth As Silk Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 10:26:00 AM More reviews by MissJulie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

*I'm reviewing this conditioner as a leave-in. Also, for reference, my hair is long, thick, dry and curly.*
Recently, GVP Conditioning Balm and I had to take a little break. Things were becoming uninteresting in our relationship. I met Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner, and instantly became enamored. I introduced it to GVP (whom I still love, of course), and now we share one another happily. I know, it's a strange situation, but don't judge our love.
Price: Giovanni shampoos and conditioners usually run around $6.99-$7.99, depending on the store. They usually don't exceed that, which is acceptable. I'd like a little bit more product for my cash, but watcha gonna do. I saw that Giovanni has released enormous sizes of their shampoos and conditioners at certain beauty supply stores, so I'll probably shell out the cash for a giganto bottle of this.
Packaging: So chic-looking. The rectangle shape is so classy, and the fonts, very sparse graphics and their placement are all so graphically gorgeous. However, I kinda have a problem with the bottle shape. It's not particularly irritating, but it *is* kind of difficult to get the last of the product out of the bottle. Other than that, it's awesome.
Consistency: Not very thick, and a teeny bit gel-like, which makes for an ingenious leave-in. It has superior spread and allows for the easiest detangling and combing, EVER. My hair's snarls and tangles succumb to this conditioner like no other.
Scent: A light, pleasant, unobtrusive, quick-fading citrus fragrance. And the good kind of citrus, too- not a sharp, chemically kitchen cleaner citrus. It actually kinda reminds me of lemon meringue pie; it's citrusy-sweet. Mmm.
Ingredients: Too nice. Mostly natural and very, very few not-so-natural ingredients scattered along the very, very bottom of the list. Other than that, it feels nice knowing that I'm not slathering chemicals all over my head. No dyes, no parabens, no silicones, no nasty stuff, and only a natural fragrance. Yay!
Performance: Absolutely brilliant. After my shower, I section my wet hair into three parts (left, right and back) and use a little over a pea-sized amount for each section. I can just effortlessly glide this conditioner through my tangles. Combing is miraculously easy. When my hair dries, it remains shiny, smooth and moisturized without any overly-weighed down feeling. My curls look amazing when I use this. I believe this is due to the silicones in this conditioner, but whatever. I love cones anyway. I haven't experienced any real build-up while using this, either.
Overall: If you have thick, dry hair (curly or not), this is seriously worth it to pick up and try as a leave-in. It might make your life a thousand times easier. I love it, and you might, too! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by LolaButterflies05

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have thick wavy/curly hair. My hair frizzes a lot and I need constant moisture to tame my hair. Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner did not make my hair feel oily afterward rinsing it out of my hair and my hair looked great when I used heat on my hair to straighten.

I love the fragrance of this product and the price is not too pricey for the size.

This is the best conditioner that I have purchased.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2012 7:27:00 AM More reviews by julevasquez

Horrible. The shampoo made my hair dry and brittle. This conditioner did nothing to counter act that. The fragrance was nice though. No impressed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2012 8:33:00 PM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Mmmmmh... this really doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, but there is nothing 'wow' about it. It doesn't drench my hair in moisture and that is what I like. I also understand it has a light protein and I am kinda protein sensitive. The problem is I bought the large size from massagewarehouse.com. I won't be repurchasing but I will finish this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by HotWolfie

I have thick, coarse hair, and I usually keep it shoulder length or mid back. When my hair gets wet it has a tendency to "scrunch" up and it's impossible to get a comb through until it's mostly dry. With Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner my hair is not only soft and shiny, it's also manageable and tangle free. I love it! The smell is wonderful too. The only thing I don't care for is the bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2012 3:19:00 AM More reviews by Skybeam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm buying this product over and over. I have fine, curly hair and this helps detangle alot as I comb my hair only when wet while rinsing off the conditioner. The best conditioner I've ever tried since quitting products that contain nasty chemicals, together with their 50-50 balanced conditioner. 4 stars though, because I'm still exoerimenting with other brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by DD1969

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think for me this conditioner is too conditioning! Never thought I'd say this about a conditioner. I have fine, wavy, highlighted hair, kind of oily at the scalp and dry at the ends. Normally I wash my hair every day and wanted to keep doing that, so I found good SLS-free Giovanni shampoos. This conditioner made my hair so baby-soft I had a hard time styling it. Maybe that's a good thing (???) I'm just not used to it.
EDIT: After reading some other people's reviews, I'm going to try using this conditioner very sparingly, just as a detangler, either leave-in or rinse-out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by lizzea

Really good conditioner when paired with the shampoo, and smells lovely. Detangles and leaves my hair soft and shiny. Love the cruelty free aspect of this brand and the packaging is really nice. Affordable, effective and socially conscious :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2012 9:08:00 PM More reviews by jkangaroo

I have dry hair and I've been using this conditioner for more than two weeks now and I think it's great. It has a nice subtle citrus smell. I've never dyed my hair but it's been really dry this winter and some of my ends are downright brittle. This conditioner (used after the shampoo) has been repairing my hair over the weeks. It is a lot fuller and healthier than it was before I began using it. The conditioner doesn't weigh my hair down at all and I love the way my hair feels now. I think this product is $9 at Target and my bottles had $1.50 off coupons on them so I got $3 off my shampoo and conditioner. Not a lot but it was nice surprise (:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2012 2:01:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to get a sulfate-free S&C after getting my hair highlighted recently. The Giovanni products had good reviews and were reasonably priced, so I decided to try smooth as silk. I am really pleased with it! The conditioner moisturized well without leaving my hair greasy or weighed down. I used it from where I would make a ponytail down to the ends (not on the roots/scalp). It made my hair feel soft and look very smooth, without being flat. It is a dense creamy texture and has a wonderful tangerine smell with hint of mint. Definitely recommend this, especially for those who color their hair.