April 21, 2014 | 1073 users online

Liquid - Cover Girl - CG Smoothers All Day Hydrating Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by cassblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have oily, acne-prone skin and larger pores that clog. I always end up coming back to this foundation because it doesn't clog my pores. It's really not *wonderful* for me though, the cover is too sheer for my acne and scarring, and my face ends up oily after a few hours. I try to keep my face matte with powder, which helps. To me, it really seems like a tinted moisturizer. I think if you have normal to dry skin and don't need a lot of coverage, this would be a great drugstore brand. For me, I'm still searching...

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by kelciekr

This is actually a good foundation if you're just looking for a light coverage. It is buildable as well, and it's breathable. It didn't irritate my acne-prone skin. I loved this foundation, but recently it turned against my very fair skin and started oxidizing really bad to where I end up looking like an oompa loompa instead of natural by the end of the day. I would recommend this to anyone who is just looking for a light and breathable foundation, but also to those who don't have very fair skin. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by pepboo

Back when i was a rookie at makeup, i HATED this because it didn't last.. but i didn't use a powder!
But now i : Stipple it using the ELF powder brush (more coverage) then set it with Maybelline pure stay pressed powder. And it looks amazing! Last nearly all day with little to no touch-ups and rarely looks cakey. :)
Would recommend!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 2:48:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very nice light coverage foundation that rarely gets much talk (positive or negative). I've been on a little CoverGirl *kick* lately -After swearing CG off for years and years I was pleasantly pleased with their Natureluxe foundation and CG/Olay Pressed Powder (please see separate reviews if interested ;) ) So I wanted to try some of CG's other face cosmetics.
Drugstore.com recently had a CG BOGO50% off sale and I needed to repurchase my Natureluxe so I threw this in my basket and only paid $2 and some change for it ;) I noticed at my local WalMart it's just under $7 USD.
For reference my skin is fair and warm (NC15 in MAC) Also oily and acne/clog-prone. I purchased the 2nd lightest shade- (Classic Ivory) -due to the reccomendation down below from another reviewer. The 1st shade is very pink/cool toned, so if you are pale with yellow undertones, go for Classic Ivory/2nd shade. If you're pale with pinky undertones, go for the first shade.
Since getting my acne-prone skin under control (Thanks to the lovely MUA boards!) I've been *all about* light coverage foundations- I'm basically only needing something to even out my uneven skin, not major coverage. If *you* need major coverage, I wouldn't reccomend this foundation to you.
Having oily skin I wouldn't normally purchase something called "Hydrating" like this foundation though, but with the weather quickly changing from summer to fall/winter it wrecked havoc on my skin and I wanted to try something that may add a little more moisture and a little less flakies/dry patches. -This fits the bill :) I definately don't think it's *overly* moisturizing, it took around 5-6 hours before my T-zone began getting oily, and lasted more than 12 hours on the rest of my face with zero touch ups. It never oxidized or turned me into an "oil slick" at any point though, which is great :)
I've also had no issues with clogged pores, breakouts, or acne from this foundation which is also great.
When I first received it in the mail I wore it for a little more than a week straight, but since then I've kind of reserved this foundation as one I use for around the house, or when running up to the post office -Times that I only need *very* light coverage, or if I start getting dry patches again then I turn to this until my skin heals back up to normal.
Overall it's quite nice to have - I love full coverage foundations for special occassions, but I very much dislike wearing them on a daily basis. This is *that* "daily basis" foundation :) It removes with ease, doesn't give my skin any issues, and depending on the weather I can sometimes skip moisturizer with this.
Not a Holy Grail foundation for me, but something I plan to repurchase and would reccomend to anyone looking for super light coverage with a little hydration for an inexpensive price :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by sarahhope

I was very pleased by this foundation. I honestly did not have very high expectations for it.

I have oily, acne prone, sensitive skin. So generally I tend to steer clear of anything that claims to be moisturizing (when it comes to foundation at least) my skin has enough moisture as it is with a moisturizer.

But thanks to my acne and the 5% Benzoyl Peroxide I use to try and keep it at bay, parts of my face get a little flaky and dry (typically around the nose and of course any pimples I have).

When I purchased this, I actually had a MAJOR sunburn. Now when you are peeling as much as I was...no makeup on the face of the earth is going to make a difference on how your face looks....its gonna look dry and flaky no matter what, until it heals.

But I still wanted to wear foundation to at least cover up my spots and tone down some of the redness. I knew that my sunburn was going to need more moisture in order to heal and such so thats why I purchased this foundation. It was cheap and on sale and it claimed to be hydrating for 11 hours so I thought why not, it will just get me through this sun burn.

Did it mask the flaking peeling burn? No. Did it tone down the redness? Yes. Did it hyrdrate my skin? Yes. Did I continue to use it even after the burn had healed? Yes.

It really is an awesome foundation. It feels very light wieght and makes my face soft. It does not feel greasy at all, and it actually last a pretty darn long time! Plus it is so easy to blend in, it really takes no effort.

I actually had this on when I went to the gym today, I did cardio for an hour and was drenched in sweat, and this stayed on (obviously I made sure not to rub at my face, instead I patted it with paper towel to absorb the sweat).

If I were going out today, even after the crazy workout, I would not feel the need to reapply any foundation.

Considering I have oily skin, it really did shock me that this stayed in place so well. I dont use primer before applying it, just my everyday moisturizer. And I dont even load up my face with powder, I just give it a light dusting of powder and focus a little bit more of the product on to my nose (which tends to produce the most oil)

The coverage is pretty good too. Yes you need to go in with concealer for any active breakouts or bad acne scars, but really the same can be said for most foundations I have used, even Colorstay.

With probably a nickel sized amount, I am satisfied with the coverage this foundation gives, I only need a little concealer for larger blemishes or scars and im good.

Very good product, and I found a shade that matches my fair skin perfectly (which is nearly impossible). It has not caused me any breakouts and I feel that it does all that it claims in terms of hydration, it does the job without leaving me looking greasy.

I will be picking up a new bottle (er tube...not really sure what to call the packaging) as soon as I run out. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by thisknife

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is actually one of my favourite drugstore foundations. The colour works really well for me, and is a budget beauty product I keep in my make-up drawers almost always! For the price, it is a great buy. The colour blends well, and covers up most of my acne scarring and current break outs!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by vhisko

I had acne-prone skin. This is one of the only things this foundation is good for - it didnt not make you breakout. A second thing it was good for was that it is indeed very hydrating. I did not like this foundation because it had VERY little coverage, and often clumped when my skin got oily or sweaty. Itried to switch to Revlon ColourStay, but it made me breakout and my my skin very dry, so I switched back. After many of these trial and errors, I have found a foundation similar to Smoothers, in the fact that it is very hydrating and will not make me breakout (Marcelle Hydra-C) which I now use. I did use this for a very long time, but the coverage was just too poor.

Would not recommend to people with a lot of redness/dark spots/uneveness.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by ThisOldSoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively low rating for this product because in my opinion, it's pretty great and I would recommend it for those who are used to using mineral powder but are wanting to try out liquid due to this foundation's light texture. I first bought this because I have been using mineral powder makeup for years and no matter what I did, in the past six months or so my skin went from combination to very dry and powder makeup was just making it worse. The favorable review by Paula Begoun finally prompted me to try this after holding out for so long hoping that switching mineral makeup lines might do the trick. For the record, if you are very pale with warm undertones, the lightest shade that will work for you is going to be "Classic Ivory" (710) which I believe is actually the SECOND lightest shade in the line; DO NOT GET THE LIGHTEST SHADE in the line since it will be cool toned.
Reasons I really like this:
1. Allows my natural freckles and features to come through
2. VERY natural looking (when not over applied); I squeeze a bit onto the back of my hand and dot onto my face with my fingers, starting with my check-bones and blending downwards
3. Lasts well enough without powder and is easily removed at night
4. The packaging: I love being able to squeeze out how ever much I need onto the back of my hand without having to pour it out or dip my fingers into a container (yay for sanitary packaging!)
5. A little seems to go a long way (again, if you are looking for natural coverage)
6. Fragrance free!

What I don't like so much:
1. For very pale gals, the offered shades may not be light enough; I wish that classic ivory was a few shades lighter, but that is kind of the bane of my existence at this point
2. This will not cover any major imperfections; while it is very good at evening out skin-tone and covering minor discoloration, it will not hide dark circles, cover acne, etc. But that's what concealer is for.
3. No SPF, so I just use a moisturizer with an adequate sunscreen underneath

Overall, this is a good foundation if you are looking for something light and natural (i.e. you hate the feeling of shellacking your face in the morning with a heavy foundation). I wear this on days when my skin is just feeling too dry for powder makeup, although I find myself using it more often now because I like it so much. I would recommend this primarily to those who already have pretty good skin but just need to balance it out to look a bit more "polished".

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by princesssage

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought this on a whim and liked it somewhat. I had a hard time finding a shade for light beige skin with yellow undertones, the Cover Girl foundations run so pink! But, I found one that sort of works. I like the consistency and the feel. It's more of a TM than foundation, which is something I like about it. It feels very much like second skin. Unfortunately, although it did a decent job of evening out my somewhat blotchy skin, it settled into pores around my nose. Not cute. It's cheap, so if you're in a total pinch, have great skin with pink undertones and just need to grab something at the drugstore, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If any of those aren't true, though, I'd say you can find something better, if even just a few dollars more expensive.

P.S. I have somewhat sensitive skin, and this product did not cause any sensitivity reactions or acne, although I see in the reviews it did for some other women.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wanted to love this because the colors were so perfect, I liked the packaging, and because it seemed as though it would be ideal for my sensitive-crazy skin--but basically it has some cheap crappy ingredients in it that broke me out! Which is per usual for CoverGirl...I also didn't like how this felt on my face (kinda oily/sits on top) and even with that, it sucked at coverage! It really works more like tinted moisturizer I guess, but it is way too useless to purchase.