October 22, 2014 | 2066 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Ultra Calming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 9:37:00 PM More reviews by alikatgrrl

SKIN: combination, shiny/oily nose, sometimes dry patches, acne scars, hormonal acne along the jawline. (I've had too much peeling from retinol products and ProActiv or clinique #3)

I went into Ulta in hopes of finding something that would finally WORK for me. After talking to both the estecitian and the prestige line manager, they came up with products for me: all dermalogica: the pre-cleanse, the ultra calming line, and spot treatment for acne, tinted moisturizer with SPF. I don't really think I have "sensitive" skin, but the ladies assured me that this would help.

This cleanser is a bit weird. It's a creamy, gel-ish, almost lotion feel. It's weird to get used it. It doesn't suds at all. (I use with clarisonic) It honestly takes a few uses to get used to. However, It makes my face feel amazingly clean and refreshed. (i use the pre cleanse before this wash) It also feels soft and never stripped of moisture like some other cleansers made me feel (proactive, boscia, clinique)

I used the whole "kit" for a few days, but then realized that I really only needed the cleanser. The other products are great (and not on MUA to review!!! :() but this did such amazing things for my skin that I didn't need the others!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2012 12:12:00 PM More reviews by OhRandi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is SO great for my skin right now. I'm currently on Ziana and Aczone, which makes my skin extremely dry and sensitive. This was the perfect cleanser. I bought the whole line and couldn't be more pleased. I highly recommend this line if you're on retinoids for acne. It's really calmed my skin down, gotten rid of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and hasn't caused any new break outs. Although, I stopped using makeup. This cleanser probably would not remove makeup very well by itself. But again, it's worth the price tag for people like me that are attempting to make their skin heal.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 4:24:00 AM More reviews by iadorechanel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

To put it simply.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!
I have dry skin throughout the year, particularly under my eyes (where i also have dark circles of veins naturally, sob :( ) and everywhere on my nose, and this prodcut helps lock in any moisture to these areas!! I don't know how it does it but it IS magic in a bottle!!
Also, I use this for my makeup remover as well, and for that it is THE best one I have come across and I have tried EVERY product in boots (all of which irritate my skin). Nivea and Simple especially make my face bright red they are so harsh on the skin, but this product is an absolute dream, I can't say anything bad about it!!
The packaging is so simple and lovely, especially the pump (I'm a germaphobe!!) and for the price you pay you certainly get A LOT of product!!
No faults with this product whatsoever. I have been using it for 5 years now and it has never failed me yet :) Will always purchase this.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2011 4:14:00 AM More reviews by dusice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive combination skin and this was a so-so product, as it didn't irritate my sensitive skin, and didn't dry out my skin, but it wasn't ideal because it wasn't a strong enough cleanser to clear my clogged pores! It's a gooey viscosity with no noticeable scent, which is wonderful for sensitive skins, and if you have sensitive skin without acne type problems, just the skin sensitivity, then this might be just the product for you! If you're sensitive as well as combination, with the clogged pore problem, then you might have to look for a stronger cleanser, unless you're able to find an exfoliator that's enough for you. For my sensitive skin I would purchase this again if I find a good enough exfoliator, otherwise I'll try to get a more sturdy cleansing solution.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2011 7:40:00 AM More reviews by klmacfarlane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product is amazing and my skin has never been better since discovering this maybe two years ago now. I have very dry and sensitive skin that's also prone to eczema, well was. I also use to frequently get red skin on my upper lip which was the first place any reaction would show up, weird huh?, but that stopped almost immediately when I started using this wash. I just generally no longer have the day to day battles with red, dry skin that I use to so I will probably never stop buying this product.

I remember cleansing would make my skin uncomfortable, but this cleanser actually comforts. It's not great at removing makeup, I use the lancome express cleansing water afterwards for that.

While it is a bit pricey here in Australia, the large bottle lasts me a ridiculously long time, like more than a year, so based on that it's actually a pretty affordable product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for the original formula (I havent tried the new version yet) This cleanser is a thick almost clear like gel which I find easily takes off all my makeup whether I tissue it off or rinse, and it doesnt irritate or leave my skin dry at all. I have very sensitive, irritated (from years of abuse) and combo skin. Its very gentle and I hope the new formula is just as good! EDIT: Sadly I found this doesnt take off makeup that well after all. Having to wipe it off was causing little veins on my cheeks, which are now disappearing since using a foaming cleanser again. 2 lippies off - better for no makeup days. I have also since tried the new version and it seems the same to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 10:27:00 AM More reviews by hairdessert

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

have used special cleansing gel for years.
but this winter i thought i wanted something thats more fitting for this time of the year.
first of all i was so scared that something else than scg would give me bad skin, i was wrong. this is so wonderful.
everything isnt a gel cleanser often makes the skin bad. but this doesnt. no makeup left on skin, no pimples or clogging, even calms the skin, making it radiant.
this is a new (winter) favorite!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by cloudpaper

Overall this is a good cleanser. Though it is a bit expensive but it comes with the 500ml packaging in the pump. though i used it for a year now but i do not like much about the essential oils in it. And it does not have properties of anti bacteria so not very good for acne skin.
Still searching for a better cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2011 12:31:00 AM More reviews by pissandvinegar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product because as I'm getting into my 20's, my skin is starting to get dry... and sadly looking like it will be rosacea prone (it runs in the family). My skin has always been sensitive but now with it being dry it's real pain to fix. Anyway, I bought this with the starter kit (I use the cleanser, toner and barrier repair) and almost immediately saw a difference in the redness in my skin, around my nose and on my cheeks. It's 6 months later now and I'm verrrrry happy with this cleanser. I think what people don't realize about it is that it is for sensitized skin... if your skin reacts badly to other things and needs a bit of a gentle protective barrier this works well. I can see where it may be a problem for people with oily skin because it's not a very stringent cleanser. I use it twice a day... at night when I am taking off my makeup however, I use another cleanser (usually Cetaphil and once a week I'll exfoliate first) first because the Ultra Calming does not do a good job at all of getting makeup off. Not even with the aid of my Clarisonic. After washing my face now, I'm not left red and patchy and my skin isn't all tight feeling.... it's not amazing for keeping pimples at bay or getting rid of blackheads, but for me those aren't nearly as much a problem as the redness and dryness.
PROS: gentle, smells nice, fixed my red/dry/sensitive skin, nice packaging
CONS: fairly $$$$, doesn't wash away makeup well

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

review for: ULTRA CALMING CLEANSER. I was using the Dermalogica Clearing Wash before this, I'm recently using acne medications - that makes my skin dry and SUPER sensitive, so I switched to something gentler.

The texture is similar to Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (which I'm not really a fan), but this one doesn't leave a thin film, as gentle as well. It actually calms the burning sensation I get from using acne meds. It cleans better too.

Downsides:
1) It's pricey. I recommend Cetaphil for dupe, but like I said, Cetaphil leaves a thin film which I dislike.
2) I'm familiar using liquid cleansers, so this one is kind of thicker, gel-like form, so it's hard to squeeze it out from the bottle.

Will I repurchase? It's a yes or no. Given I have enough moolah for it, then yes. Otherwise, I can settle for a drugstore brand.