Aquanil cleanser

4.3

Water Purified, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Xanthan Gum

on 8/2/2008 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This might finally be my HG cleanser, or at least the closest I'll come. When I first started using it, I thought it left a slight residue that irritated me. But I think that was due to it not thoroughly removing m/u and sunscreen. Now, I pre-cleanse with safflower oil at night at then follow with Aquanil, and I'm left with super soft skin. I have never had a cleanser I could use both morning and night without being dry, but this one is working just fine for twice daily use (I've used it twice a day consistently for about a month now). Even though I've started using retinoids, my skin is still less dry now than it was with less harsh treatments and my old cleanser. I also really like the feel of this stuff on my skin, and the price is certainly right.

The reason I'm giving it a 4 and not a 5 is because it would really be ideal if it also removed makeup well, but I'm kind of thinking there's no such thing as a cleanser this gentle that also removes makeup. Oh well! All things considered, I'm really happy with Aquanil.

on 5/31/2008 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

It's clean. Leaves no residue and does not irritate my sensitive skin. I like this cleanser more than it's competitor, Cetaphil, because it does not leave a film or residue. I have used Aquanil off and on for almost 10 years and have never been dissatisfied- just bored with it's packaging.

on 4/6/2008 1:17:00 AM

I'm so glad that the skin care board recommended this product to me. It's just a straightforward, gentle cleanser. No fragrance, no bells or whistles. It just cleans without irritating my sensitive, rosacea skin, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I do use some of my oil-based eye makeup remover before using Aquanil at night, in order to remove a little makeup and some sunscreen.

on 4/5/2008 3:43:00 PM

This is great stuff. A derm recommended I use this yearrrrrrs ago, but not as a cleanser, as a moisturizer to use w/retin-a. I have used it off & on since then, kind of forgot about it, then ran across the last little bit that I'd put in a sample bottle from the humongous, industrial-size pump bottle that I'd had forever. My skin was getting dry from topicals so I used this a few times, both as a cleanser (after Lumene cleansing oil to take of ss) and as a moisturizer, and my skin is back to being balanced (though I still have acne, but one can't have everything!!). When I run out of what I have left, I'll definitely repurchase.

on 2/17/2008 9:19:00 PM

I love this cleanser, it's my HG for AM (and PM's when I didn't use m/u or s/s during the day). It's gentle and lotiony, very lightly moisturizing and leaves my skin soft. the slight SLES is not a problem for me, I suppose, as I didn't find this drying at all.

Most importantly, it doesn't break me out!!!!! yay!!!!!

I wish they made these in pump bottles smaller than 16 oz though :P I have to use my sample bottles when traveling. Person & Covey is super generous with samples, I was extremely impressed.

I purchased at drugstore.com

on 1/17/2008 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is now my favorite cleanser.
It is gentle, fragrance-free, and actually seems to soften my skin.
I use if AFTER all sunscreen and makeup has been removed with an oil cleanser. No cleanser this gentle could remove the physical sunscreens that my sensitive skin requires.
It comes in a large bottle, with a pump dispenser, which is the most convenient.
As it happens, I like the simple packaging, the white bottle, the clear graphics, the texture and smell.
Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Xanthan Gum.
Cost: $11 for 16oz online.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My Dermatologist and I tried for over a year to find a cleanser that worked for my ultra sensitive skin. Finally found it! I have been using this for several years now, and it's been great!
It cleans very well without over-drying. It removes all my makeup without any problems. I just use a few pumps in my hand and massage onto my damp face., then rinse off with water. Works beautifully!
It doesn't leave a film, which for me is perfect! I have ultra sensitive skin, and rosacea and this is my HG!

on 12/20/2007 1:37:00 PM

I really like this bland, slightly boring cleanser. It is soapless, lipid free, good for sensitive skin and fragrance free. Alot like Cetaphil.

It is pretty good at taking off makeup, even medium heavy eyemakeup, though if you are really made up, you might want to use a remover first or at least do two washes. I usually use it in the morning when I have no makeup on.

On a whim I added a few drops of lavender oil to mine, so now it is a gentle "lavender" cleanser. I suppose you could use any essential oil to do the same, though it would be best to use one that is beneficial and non-irritating to the skin.

Aquanil has alot of other hair and skin products at my local beauty supply, I plan on trying more of them.

on 12/10/2007 1:58:00 PM

Skin Type: Combination, Dehydrated, Acne/Blackhead Prone

I am very much in love with this cleanser. My skin is very dry and irritated from Retin-A usage combined with the cold weather and this has been a godsend. I usually use this in the AM when I have no need to remove ss or makeup, it provides a simple non-drying cleansing of the skin. In the 2 weeks I've been using it, I have had zero breakouts so far and no increase in blackheads. I'm so glad I finally decided to try this after toying with the idea for almost a year=). The only problem I have with it is the bottle. I don't know if I got a defective one, but I'm unable to twist the cap shut, so it leaks all over my makeup bag. Of course, I could always leave it in a medicine cabinet so I won't take off any lippies for this. I LOVE this cleanser.

on 12/10/2007 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This product is both gentle and non-irritating. It doesn't have any noticeable scent to it. It can be used on both the face and eye areas alike.

By itself, this cleanser will not remove a full face of makeup. To do so, a wet washcloth needs to be used in combination with such. Also, if you simply apply the cleanser to your skin and rinse off, you will be left with a little bit of a film to your skin. If you have normal or dry skin, this cleanser will be most ideal for you. However, if you happen to have combination or oily skin instead (like mines), you will probably not be a huge fan of this cleanser.

When using this cleanser, my skin actually becomes oilier quicker. Also, I don't care for the slight film that it leaves either. For my skin, I have found that using a mild, gel based facial cleanser actually is best.