Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation

4.4

Mica, Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Methicone, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Proplyparaben, Fragrance (Parfum) 101905.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Shade reference: NC15 mac
My shade in this product: ultra cameo

This is my go-to foundation for all seasons. Even in the summer. Its light, gives coverage to where I need it and never gives me any problems. I think i might also be a bit bias to this foundation mainly because it was one of the firsts foundations I used when I first started with makeup. However that might actually prove how good it is. I started with makeup at 14-15 I'm now 20 and I still always keep a backup of this in my stash. I like to try different powders and different products but this will always be a staple.

Besides foundation I also like to use this to tone down blush when I get a bit too heavy handed. It never looks cakey or over done. It is matte, and light wearing. If you are wearing this in the summer you will need touch ups, but since I'm always home by mid day I just remove it and reapply before I go out.

Again excellent foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is AWESOME! It controls oil like nothing I have ever seen. I usually used the Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust but I was shiny by 11:00 AM so I had to reapply but no so with this powder and I am oily! I dont know why but I LOVE the smell too even though it fades soon after you apply. I finish with this and its perfection all day long and I mean all day! I have found my HG Finishing powder.
UPDATE:
I am a Merle Norman fanatic now I love pretty much all the products and the Lasting Foundation nothing works better than these two for super oily skin. Plus Merle Norman is made here in USA!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've been using this for 2 years and seen it through 3 different packaging changes, all better than the ones before it (the design picture above was incredibly clunky and hard to use, now it is a small black compact that is easy to transport.) I bought it after I found a small compact of it in my grandmother's makeup. Clearly, this product has been around for quite a long time and is trusted to do the job. I am yet to find any foundation, let alone powder, that beats this. It can be applied for minimal or maximum coverage depending on the time of year and dryness/oilyness of my skin. It doesn't cause any breakouts (I've slept with it on one time and it did not cause any type of breakout then either). My only complaint is it can be a bit cakey looking if you haphazardly brush it on. It takes some time for me to make sure I don't get little flakes or dry patches because of it. It sets in about 10 minutes. Moisturizer goes on over it surprisingly well. It does wear off my skin, but I have bad combination skin so this is as good as it gets unless I use a primer. The price is a bit steep, but overall it's completely worth it.

I became a Merle Girl after trying this foundation, due to the great reviews it got on MUA; especially its oil control ability. I am oily and because I am oily I am acne prone. I'm always on the hunt to control the slick. I have even tried the milk of magnesia method (broke out) and a fantastic oil control sunscreen from Kao Biore (UV Perfect) which also broke me out. Seems anything that's labeled as "mattifying" breaks me out (why oh why...isn't that the opposite of what it's supposed to do)? Anyway - I bought this foundation in Ultra Golden in the summer and was super-impressed from the first time I used it. Very natural, buildable coverage (I would say up to medium) - it does not look chalky like most powder foundations I've tried - even if I get it on my eyebrows, they don't get that dust-coated look. It covers imperfections pretty well, although I'd be hard pressed not to use concealer (I do *not* have a peaches & cream complexion) but concealer goes on well over this foundation. And for those of us over 40 - I should stress that while it doesn't settle into lines (I don't put it under my eyes), it doesn't really disguise them either. Just makes my face even and helps control that oil. I still have to blot a few times over the course of the day but this foundation lasts and lasts through those blots and still looks great at 5 o'clock (not just-put-on, but not streaky, cakey or patchy either). I just bought another in Ultra Buff to match my winter skin. This is definitely my HG foundation - recently tried to switch away to save $$, and tried several liquid foundations - all of them broke me out (thank heavens for return policies). I have to stick with powder foundations and this is absolutely the best one out there that I've tried. Don't hesitate!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Use this as my foundation a lot. Covers well and sets makeup well. It does go on much better with a sponge than a powder brush because of the creamy consistency. The new black packaging looks very modern in my opinion. The cream and gold doesn't do much for me.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I began using this two weeks ago after using a Revlon product that looked fine but broke me up horribly. Since I began using this I have had no new breakouts. The color (Ultra Golden) is fantastic on me and blends beautifully. I find that if you apply it with a foundation brush it gives medium coverage that is buildable over trouble spots. If this doesn't break me out I will definitely buy it again. I use other Merle Norman products I absolutely love: blush, lip pencils, etc. I am not sure why I hadn't tried the foundation before but now I'm a fan.
ETA: As of 4/2012 I have stopped using this for a couple of reasons: 1) the Merle Norman store that I could easily get to has closed, but 2) more importantly, I've discovered that the Skin79 Pink BB cream gives me much better results.

Wow, absolutely amazing in all areas. I love powder foundation, as liquid typically breaks me out or feels heavy. Powder, however, can rub off, get oily, oxidize and have bismuth oxychloride. This is perfect: great lasting powder, decent coverage, transfer resistant, soft matte finish, very pale yellow shade for me (extrememly hard to find) and incredible oil control. No breakouts at all! I love Dior Forever powder, but it makes me a bit oily in the summer and my other beloved Lorac Wet/Dry has limited coverage for gross days. All-in-all, I can say enough and will stock up. I wear this with MN cover-up, flawless oil-control powder, cream blush, lasting cream eyeliner and Supreme Lash mascara and primer- still looks perfect 12 hours later. UPDATE: Can't imagine a better foundation. No breakouts and lasts so well, and looks completely natural. I usually blot every hour- with this and the Flawless Oil-Control powder, I didn't blot once today. Love it!! I'm also loving the cream eyeliner. Merle Norman is so underrated.

Wow. This is the powder I've been searching for all my m/u life. I've used several setting powders from DS to HE and this is the only one that doesn't look too cakey, powdery or separate a few hours into the day.

I lightly apply it over the Luxiva Lasting Foundation (which is another OMG HG) and I honestly do not have to touch up AT ALL. I use Ultra Neutral (I'm NC25) and it is the perfect color for me. It controls my oilyness and does not break me out.

I use an ELF complexion brush and lightly pat the brush in the powder. There is also not a lot of fall-out or waste because the powder is pretty dense.

The powder is fragranced too, so beware if you're sensitive to that. The packaging is a bit bulky. It's a black compact that is about 1/2 inch thick.

All in all, this is the BEST powder foundation I've used so far. I was also told by the MN SA that this is their number one selling product of all time. Go and try it!

I have recently been converted to a Merle Norman addict! This is it for me! I've always associated MN as for older women... boy was I wrong. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't try this brand sooner! I've always, always been drawn to a cream-to-powder foundation. I have combination/oily skin and usually by noon I need a touch-up. This has totally battled my oiliness and I'm noticing that I'm needing fewer and fewer touch-ups. My skin looks flawless with this powder. I usually use this under Luxia lasting foundation but I feel like if I'm just running to the store I could just use this. There is a slight smell. If not expecting it, it could turn you off. It's light and pleasant. The first compact that I purchased the color was a little off. Ok, my mother said the color was "horrid". I called my SA and told her the problem. She even stayed late for me to arrive after work. There was no issue in trading in for the correct color. I love this stuff. And I've purchased after the new compact change. Such a sleeker and modern look and feel. Beautiful.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I love this ultra powder foundation! I was very skeptical of Merle Normans makeup just because I thought the brand was geared for more mature skin, boy was I wrong. This powder is about medium coverage, very blendable and buildable coverage. My skin is acne prone and oily and this really keeps my oily t zone at bay with no breakouts! I'm a little lighter then nc-25 and the shade ultra neutral is perfect for my skin. The packaging is kind of clunky and there's a slight scent but it doesn't bother me. The sales lady said they take returns so I suggest you at least try it!