April 19, 2014 | 1072 users online

Foundations - The Body Shop - All-In-One Face Base

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by lalalalila

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Since my Mark Powderbuff Foundation has been getting down to the nitty-gritty, I'd been searching for a replacement that I don't have to order online. So I curiously stumbled into The Body Shop a couple weeks ago and have found myself in love with a bunch of their products, namely this one.

This costs $22 USD. A bit pricey, but TBS frequently has promotions and deals on their products, such as Buy 2, Get 1 Free, etc. Those are the best days to buy their make-up as their products are on the pricier side

The color selection isn't very plentiful as there are only 8 shades, and nothing is available for darker-skinned girls. My skin tone falls between Medium and Tan depending on the season (around an NC 40 in MAC) and the darkest shade (065) matches me quite well. It looked as though all the 7 shades besides the darkest one (mine) had a beige undertone while mine was the lone shade with a warm golden undertone.

I've used MAC Studio Fix PowderPlus Foundation in the past and I'd say that TBS All-In-One Face Base is very comparable in terms of texture and coverage. I buff this onto my face using a synthetic flat-top kabuki and it goes on wondrously smooth and does not look cakey at all. I love how it gives my complexion an even, creamy, and flawless look. In fact, I'd say this gives me the best coverage out of any powder foundation I've ever tried. When I use this in conjunction with my TBS Bronzing Powder in Deep Matte (04), the result for me is a very natural-looking healthy glow.

I live in a moderately hot area of California and am happy to report that this doesn't melt off my face in the heat or require multiple re-applications throughout the day. It is also very good to the oily-prone parts of my face (t-zone), which is very rare for me to find in a product.

One thing I do dislike is that this product lists Talc as its first ingredient, which is the main reason I stopped using MAC Studio Fix. But so far, I haven't noticed any breakouts and this foundation hasn't triggered my eczema.

A lot of reviewers have complained about the packaging, but I actually think the packaging is sleek and very cute.

This also does not contain any SPF, which does not bother me since I use an SPF 30 moisturizer every day before applying makeup. Foundations with SPF also tend to white-out your face in flash photography so the lack of SPF does not necessarily have to be a bad thing.

This is a great product, but I will most likely finish it up and then search for something that does not contain Talc.

But props to TBS for not testing on animals and for using fair-trade ingredients in their products.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Lizziemc

Only bought this yesterday but wish I'd found it years ago! I've always thought my skin was too dry (and wrinkly) for a powder foundation, but this has changed my mind. Granted it's not remotely dewy and it does give a "finished", slightly "made-up" look, which I had been trying to avoid. But I think I just have to accept that dewy foundations don't give me enough coverage - with some hyperpigmentation/sun damage on my cheeks and nose, and acne scarring on my chin, I need a bit more coverage.

The two other fantastic things about this product are that it LASTS really well (no touchups needed after several hours), and it really is a one-step product - two if you take my approach and apply with a damp sponge first in areas that need more coverage, then apply dry with a brush anywhere else that just needs mattifying. Will update if my opinion changes but this is - dare I say it - potential HG material!

UPDATE: Well I still love aspects of this, but am finding at the moment the finish is just a little too powdery, especially on my chin, and a little chalky... am researching MUA at the moment to see if I can find a similar powder makeup that's not quite so, er, powdery. Will update again!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by tatcuya114

Pros: great natural finish, hard to get cakey with this power, good packaging, good price

Cons: Made me broke out horribly, doesn't contain sun protection, average oil control function

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2013 6:33:00 AM More reviews by bekahh101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really, really like this foundation, however I do have a few small issues with it.

So let's start with the good: I've only ever used this as a pressed powder, dry with the Body Shop's mineral foundation brush, so I can't comment on how it performs when you use the damp sponge however as a powder it has a fantastic finish. It feels incredibly light on the skin, so light it doesn't feel like I'm wearing foundation. The coverage builds fairly quickly however it doesn't go orange or cakey, 045 is the perfect shade for me. It has a very natural looking finish however it does a really good job of covering my minor acne and redness. After using a tiny little bit of Natio liquid concealer over pimples and under-eye redness with this over the top, my skin looks virtually flawless. It lasts all day with pretty much no touch up required, and my oily skin experiences minimal shine.

My only complaint is that I seemed to run through my first one terribly quickly. I probably used it about 3-4 times a week, maybe more some weeks, but I didn't use it every day. I hit pan after about 4 weeks of use, and after I hit the pan it started disappearing incredibly fast and only lasted about 1.5 more weeks. It also started to crack once I hit pan, and the whole thing ended up crumbling as though I had dropped it! (Which I hadn't.) Considering as I had paid $35 for it, this annoyed me, however the foundation is such good quality that I decided to repurchase anyway. Would recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Vanillablood

I have oily skin, with some dry bits (cheeks and chin) i tried this as a replacement for mac studio fix powder plus. i find mac too cakey and 'powdery' so i thought id try this. the colour options are quite pale id say im quite pale but i use no3 which is still pretty pale. first off i didnt really like the packaging but thats not a big deal for me don't care THAT much lol anyway so i used a primer and a little concealer under the eyes and on my slightly red cheeks then i tried buffing this on with a kabuki and i also tried blending with a sponge (not the sponge it came with too bulky!) i found the best way was to use both methods! i packed a fair bit on with a sponge then finished by blending with a kabuki. i needed to touch up around dinner but the best thing about this is its so light you can use it to touch up with out it being too visible or cakey. the coverage is sheer-full depending how much you use i tend to use concealer then build a medium coverage with the powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2013 12:55:00 PM More reviews by lavelle365

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Purchased this product entirely due to the reviews on MUA. Was seeking a replacement for the underperforming Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Powder Foundation. I have a horrorifically oily t-zone and get best results from a liquid foundation. However, at some point during the day, I need to blot and then the liquid foundation starts looking thin and blotchy. To make matters worse, the area where I need the most coverage (nose) is also the oiliest. The solution is to carry a powder foundation to use for a mattifying and coverage-enhancing touch up. ELDWSIPPF is not just good enough as it oxidises on my chin and nose, 'puddles' and cakes if repeated applications are required. The good news is that this Body Shop product is cheaper to purchase, DOES NOT cake, does not separate, offers reasonable touch-up coverage, settles into skin without highlighting pores and doesn't sit on top of skin looking powdery and horrid. It just does a good job, and is portable and non-oxidising. The packaging is lightweight, functional but ugly. Clarins does a similar product for twice the price in a gorgeous compact that weighs a ton BTW. I leave the Clarins at home and carry this everywhere. No powder foundation is perfect but this is a good product that really outperforms much more expensive products. Recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by karatekitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin, an oily t-zone and normal to dry cheeks. I don't suffer from acne but I do get the odd pimple every now and again. My nose is often red. I have light olive skin, and it can be difficult to find a matching foundation.

I purchased this foundation at the recommendation of the sales associate. My shade was between 055 to 065 but we settled on 055 being the correct shade as 065 was slightly too orange.

My favourite way to use this foundation is on top of a tinted moisturizer (Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream). I do use it on its own when I'm in a rush and just want a quick swipe of makeup over my face.

I use the big kabuki brush from The Body Shop rather than the sponge that comes with the package, although I use the sponge for on-the-go touch ups, if needed.

The foundation is light to medium coverage and is buildable. It blends like a dream, especially with the kabuki brush (previously, I was using a cheaper ELF powder brush and it wasn't blending nicely). This foundation instantly mattifies my skin--I see a shine reduction on my forehead almost immediately after swiping it on. The foundation lasts for the better part of the day (meaning: it lasts for as long as I need to). However, it still washes off easily.

The texture is a velvety powder that feels very natural on my skin. It does not feel like I have anything on my skin. There is no scent.

My biggest problem with this is how quickly I "reach pan." There is only 9g of foundation. The foundation lasts 2-3 months, of daily use. I have never had a regular foundation that I've used regularly before, so I don't know if this is good or not.

Price: Without a sale, this product is expensive ($20-$25 Canadian) but since The Body Shop has frequent sales, it can be found for cheaper. Take advantage of any "Buy 1 get 1" sales or "2 for..."/"3 for..." sales!

Packaging Quality: I like how the sponge has it's own layer of the compact and does not sit on top of the makeup. The compact feels sturdy and does not open in my purse. However, I feel like the compact could be made thinner, if they wished.

I would totally buy this product again and I already have--twice!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Dragonseatcoco

I love this product, I purchased mine in the Philippines. I recommend it for everyday use to people with sensitive skin, or even those who don't. First off, it's available for all skin tones, you just have to really look and find what's perfect for your skin. I use this as a foundation and a face base, sometimes I don't even have to do touch-ups (i don't have oily skin.). Most people don't like the compact design for its bulkiness, but I find it adorable and sturdy, inside, there's a compartment for your sponge that separates it from the powder ergo, the oil from constant usage doesn't spread and it's hygienic.

The application is so light and thin that it feels like I'm not wearing any foundation/make up at all but it covers up eye bags and uneven skin tone decently.

My only qualm is that, upon purchase, their staff and employees are a bit 'unfriendly', compared to those in Clinique, Face Shop, Mac. They constantly dot on you, and even though there are no other clients in the shop, they act as if they're always in a rush.

All in all, it's the product that really matters, but it wouldn't hurt if they'd inject their staff with a bit of a smile or positive character.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2012 10:00:00 AM More reviews by Memoriesin

I wish I could love this but it made me break out after a day of use.
This is actually a really good powder foundation as it doesn't cake up and you can apply it to get a medium - full coverage. It also controls my oil really well, stays matte for 4-6 hours.
However, the only thing is that it contains corn starch in it which i was not aware of at 1st, and it made me break out.
People who are sensitive towards cosmetic cornstarch or rice powder etc, please stay away from this product, but overall, if you have normal skin, this is a must have product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2012 6:17:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

I've bought this numerous times and I love it. It has such a smooth nice feel and really covers. I tend to use it dry as more of a finishing powder when I really want to look spectacular. The only downside (and this actually isn't because of the product, it happens to every compact) is that I often drop it and break the last bits that were around the edges (or more, occasionally). So now I take a not-as-good powder compact out for touch ups.

I also love that the company is very environmentally aware.