September 30, 2014 | 1863 users online

Powder - Shiseido - Pureness Matifying compact

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2008 8:06:00 AM More reviews by micipici

i love love love it.
at first i thought its gonna look plain on me but it looks really nice and natural
love the coverige,and the fact that it is oil free .it doesnt irritate me at all

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2008 5:32:00 AM More reviews by Loveforso

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this product. I have acne-prone skin and it doesn't seem to irritate it at all. I am 34 years old now and I have been using this product since I as 24.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2008 2:06:00 PM More reviews by mixellita

I LOVE this !
JUST LOVE!
Soft cover and perfect for my skin type.
I use it day-by-day cause I dont' wanna look like I was going to a party.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 1:46:00 AM More reviews by mercymercyme

For the record, I have repurchased this product at least 5 or 6 times, but perhaps I won't purchase it again soon because I haven't been wearing foundation for the past 3 months. Part of that is because I've found a routine that really works for my skin (the cornerstone of which is retin-a, which has really faded a lot of my red spots and significantly evened out discoloration), but the other explanation for my abstinence is because Shiseido's Pureness compact is the only foundation that I've ever really loved, and I came to the slow, sad realization that we just weren't made for each other.

I used the lightest color of Pureness available, on the recommendation of a wonderful, sympathetic Sephora saleswoman (they exist!) in Barcelona. I'd run out of my Loreal True Match powder and was having a hell of a time finding something comparable in tone, and as I was perusing various foundations, trying to find a close match, She asked if I needed help and I spilled: I explained to her that I never really wore makeup and didn't want to start, but that I had a terrible bout of acne two years prior, at age 24, and how my skin hadn't been the same since. It was acting up again, and I felt really self-conscious and negative about my appearance. I also have large pores on the apples of my cheeks, and my oily skin wasn't helped (at least, not aesthetically) by the humidity. She applied a little of the Shiseido to the part of my cheek where my pores were most visible, and voila! they appeared almost airbrushed away, and it evened out my skin tone so well that I could hardly believe it was my own skin I was looking at. And it wasn't heavy; it was like barely wearing any makeup at all.

However, I was more tan in while living in Barcelona now that I am in the US (thanks in part to then-sun-worshipping and my current Retin-a and obsessive sunscreen use), and everyone there is more tan than lots of people here. Let me rephrase that: there are few people living in Spain who are naturally as pale as I am, so their palatte of available foundations ran from rich coffee to lightly sunkissed - and stopped there. So, in broad daylight, I could tell that my new powder didn't quite match my pale, pinkish-yellowish undertones. It was, paradoxically, somewhat too pink in some lighting, and too yellow in others. I can't quite describe how it didn't match; I just have to say, it didn't match (Dim light was more forgiving, and I worked in a nightclub, so mostly, all was well). But I loved how my skin looked in it. I liked that it didn't look caked on. I liked how it smoothed out my pores but didn't make my skin look artificially porcelain, that it let some humanity show through. I didn't mind that it didn't last all day (or night) long. It made me feel beautiful and secure in my skin. It really was first love.

Then, though, when I moved back to the states and got an office job with unforgiving fluorescent lights and unrelenting air conditioning, I slowly questioned my complacency and arrived at the conclusion that I couldn't ignore its faults any longer. What was charming on the beach was intolerable in the cubicle. The powder caked beneath my eyes. It highlighted my newly dried-out complexion. Without the humidity that I'd been accustomed to, it just wouldn't settle down; it remained very powdery on my skin. And, worst of all, it looked like what I never wanted to really admit it was: makeup. Makeup that was at least a shade darker than my neck, and of a different tone entirely than my natural pigment.

So, I went to the derm to address the roots of my skin problems, got the retin-a and duac, and put my foundation aside - out of absolute necessity - during the hellish red-and-peeling stage. And, once I came through that part, I didn't really look back. I found that I could break my dependence on foundation - THAT foundation - and once again feel totally comfortable in bare skin. And, when and if I decide to use one again, I'll make sure that I find something with ALL of my best interests in mind.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2008 8:08:00 PM More reviews by sarangheyo

I've tried this compact. I research long and hard to find a matching shade and sheseido had it. Unfortunately the powder wasn't able to control the oil from my face and melted right off my face after a few hours. This powder works ok but you have to continually touch up and reapply. I'm going back to two-way cakes for fuller coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by chipita

Nothing special. Not enough matifying, not enough coverage. The lightest shade was too dark; however, the effect was very natural.
Did not cause breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2008 4:31:00 PM More reviews by bubbles89

PROS:I love this foundation. It has ok coverage (given the fact that it's just a compact foundation), it doesn't clog pores, and, most importantly, it matifies perfectly. It lasts all day long!
CONS:I don't like the fact that it hasn't got a separate compartment for the sponge. Also, I've been using it for only 3 weeks now and I've already spent like 3/4 of this foundation. I really can't afford to buy it on monthly bases!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2008 7:39:00 AM More reviews by ozlem

I've been using this powder for almost one year and i love it. My face doesn't shine during the day as it always does. It has tiny oil absorbers in it. The only disadvantage of this product is the coverage. It has no coverage. It only gives a little bit change. I use it almost everyday when i go to my job. It's a light daily compact powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2008 1:37:00 AM More reviews by resph99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i think i can do better with a cheaper powder. it has no covarage and it does nothing for my oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2008 8:36:00 AM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

For a few years I've been using mineral makeup to cover up my pores and reduce the shine and oil on my face. At the moment I'm using Differin gel to help me with my oiliness and big pores. Differin has made my face a bit more sensitive, only around the nose area. So the mineral makeup makes my nose area itchy a bit not all the time, but specially when the area becomes a bit wet. I still sometimes use mineralmakeup.
But I decided to try something else, something talc-baced, for talc is the only thing that doesn't make my face overshiny like many past mineralmakeups have done. I always look oily and shine on photos, and that was the final drop that made me gice up minerals for a while.
After reading here on MUA and in Paula Begouns new book about this powder foundation i decided to give it a try. This had all what I wanted, talc to matte my face, spf, and non-comedocenic.
I bought 30 Ivory naturel, a good shade for my light-medium skin, it looks is bit tan-ish on me, so it gives a hint of color . It goes on matte-ultra matte, with almous zero shine. The application with the sponge is fast, and it goes on sheer to light but with a buildable coverage but not feeling dry. You will look a bit powdery at first but after a few minutes my face looks matte and flawless. The stayingpower is really ok (stays in place at the gym when I sweat), and the oil + shine control is also ok. At lunch I do a little touch up, my T-zone has at that time a hint of shine. Like all powders I have tried, the color does change a bit and becomes a bit darker after a few hours. And as the name says, you can use it as a foundation or as a powder.
The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the spf 15. Paula recommended it because of the UVA-UVB protection that it had. She sad that it contains Titanium oxid and zinc oxide as active ingredients and with an spf 16. My version has an spf 15 and no active UVA-ingredients, only UVB. It contains a small amount of Titanium oxid and zinc oxide but only as coloring agents, and I don't think that is enought to protect the skin. So I don't know if I have bought an old version or if it is an European version.
Abit sad, because other than that, this is a slam-dunk for oily skins
Update: did stop using it because the salegirl didn't know what she did when she recommended the shade... tooo dark! So I have stopped using it, and it is a 3 now.