October 1, 2014 | 1801 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by bksmits

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about 2 months and love it! I used the original powder foundation for years but as I've gotten older my skin has gotten even drier than normal and the powder wasn't cutting it anymore. When I heard they were coming out with a liquid I ran to the store.

The coverage I've gotten with this is amazing! They say you only need a few drops and they mean it! I start with one drop, dot it on then blend it. If I need a lttle more I'll do a mini-drop and blend again. That's usually about it. Be warned: If you do more than a drop or two you will look like you are wearing a kabuki mask!

The brush: BE made a special funky brush for this foundation. Do not use it! When I got my color match at Sephora the girl used a Sephora brush instead and it came out great! And was $8 dollars cheaper. The girl next to me had hers done with the special BE brush and I don't think it looked as good and used a lot more product.

Packaging: The little "shaker balls" that rattle around in the bottle when you shake it sometimes get lodged in the top of the bottle which blocks the product coming out. A good smack on the counter will loosen them but this happens just about every time I use it. Minor annoyance, recommend making the balls bigger so they can't get stuck.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by MollyTheMakeupArtist

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to work in a studio that sold this foundation so I had to try it before I used it on anyone or sold it to anyone. I have dry, acne prone skin and need very full coverage. This foundation is advertised to feel like nothing is there and to have a natural look to the skin. I can definitely agree, it feels like a part of your normal skincare routine and looks very natural.
That being said, you have to be very careful when you use it in relation to your skincare routine. If you apply this foundation too soon after your moisturizer, it will slide around. If you wait too long, it will cling to all your dry spots.
I always set my foundation with a powder, no matter what. This foundation did the strangest thing to my skin. It actually separated from the powder and everything else I had on and created tiny little holes in my makeup. It looked like you took a pin and poked my skin a million times all around my face. I tried everything I could think of, in my makeup artist head, to fix this. Primer, no primer, different moisturizer, less product, more product, different powder, different concealer, everything. The list goes on and on. Nothing fixed it.
Now, this foundation has a very weightless, "nothing is there" feeling to it. As for me, with very severe acne, I like to feel like I have makeup on. It makes me feel more secure that my acne is being covered and my face matches the rest of me. This feels like you don't have any makeup on. This is so weird but my skin sort of told my brain that I didn't have any makeup on and that it was okay to touch my face. I couldn't help it! Before I could even stop myself, I'd scratch my nose or chin or something.
So all together, here is my recommendation for this foundation. If you have normal skin, not super dry or oily, you don't need a lot of coverage, and you don't like to have a full face on everyday, this foundation is perfect for you. If you try to mess with it, well, it gets messy.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

When I first got this foundation-I thought it was amazing. It feels like you're not wearing anything at all and has great coverage considering the texture. Since I have oily skin it does get shiny and slides around a bit, but that is only towards the end of a long day. I love that it's supposed to be good for your skin and says it's brightening. But a foundation has never broken me out so bad in my life. I usually blame my break outs for changes in my hormones considering I am on birth control, but these were so bad I had to consider something else and this was all I had changed. Also, I tend to put foundation only on the outside portion of my face because I don't want to cake it over my brightening concealer placed in the middle, and I only got the horrific acne where I placed this foundation! I haven't used this in 2 weeks and I'm still trying to recover. The zits were huge, painful, and long lasting unlike the small acne I get due to hormones fluctuations-which is how I can usually tell break outs are from a product. It really sucked having those pimples and brought down my confidence level by a lot, they have NEVER been so bad! Not going to ever reach for this foundation again. Sorry bare minerals.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by CatClosser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had seen this advertised on QVC, read reviews and watched a couple YouTube videos before I decided to purchase this foundation.

Let me start by saying that I don't wear makeup very often so even a tinted moisturizer feels heavy to me. I also have trouble finding a good match for my skin tone. I have fair to medium skin with pink undertones (Irish, Japanese, English, German & Portuguese ancestry) that can either be extremely oily or combination depending on the day and/or season. My skin is also acne prone, sensitive and I have rosacea (with a very red nose) so it's a mess all around.

I started out by using the color finding guide on Ulta.com and decided that Bare Satin was probably the closest to my skin tone. I also ordered the brush they recommend with it. I love that there are so many colors to choose from and the descriptions made it easier for me to decide which to try.

I received my order in the mail but waited a couple days to try it out. I made sure to shake the bottle very well before doing each side of my face as the instructions and videos said to do. The color match was excellent! Probably the closest match I've ever found. Since I don't usually wear makeup I could definitely tell I had something on my face but it wasn't nearly as heavy as others I have tried in the past. I applied with the special brush and used 4 drops (2 for each side of my face) and got complete coverage but I felt that I still used too much. I also started with a skin primer and finished off with a light dusting of loose MAC powder to set it. It didn't give me a matte finish, which I didn't expect since everyone said it was dewy, but I feel that I may have used too much and by mid day I was feeling pretty greasy. But to be fair it was also a pretty hot day and I was outside a lot.

Today I applied 2 drops (1 for each side of my face) using just my fingers and it looks and feels much more natural. I also didn't use a primer or powder on top this time. I may try using the brush with just 2 drops to see if that works better than the first time. I'm an amateur at using a brush for foundation so it may just be that I need to practice. I still got a bit shiny but I wasn't nearly as greasy as the first time I tried it. It also may have been better if I had used a primer and powder.

So to summarize:

- Excellent color match
- Very lightweight but still good coverage
- A little goes a long way so even though the bottle is small, it will last a long time.
- I'm still undecided on the brush

All in all I'm glad I gave this foundation a chance and will continue to use it. I just need to practice, practice, practice.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I exchanged this from the original mineral formula in store. I got to sample it first. That should have been an indication of how it works. The odd thing is it wouldn't blend when the SA at BE put this on me. She kept saying it was my skin or my sunscreen (Clarins), NOT the product. I took it home and tried it several times with and without primer, with moisturizer, without, you name it! It stuck to any dry spot, sunk into every pore, it was awful! I did like that it felt lightweight though..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by JayFab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

bareMinerals employee here, and I must say I wasn't a huge fan when we first got this. Mainly because Leslie told us for years that liquid was a NEVER. But here it is! It is so light and gentle that I can't say a single bad thing about this! I love the coverage! Full coverage with just two drops!!!!! It blends in seamlessly and makes my skin look and feel so silky soft. ALWAYS ALWAYS SET WITH MINERAL VEIL!!!' Otherwise it will look shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by rhbrand

Well, after using this now off and on for a couple months, I've got to say, this is one of my favorite foundations. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could.
I got the lightest one they had, and I did end up getting the brush. I use 2 drops for my everyday coverage. Once in a while, I'll add an extra drop for a little more coverage. 2 drops gives me a nice ligher to medium coverage.
I do find that after a few hours, my nose is alittle shinier than it is with Bare Minerals foundation, but it is the middle of summer, and its hot and humid out there. And its nothing that a blotter takes care of in no time at all, and its not enough to keep me from using it again.
I really like this foundation, and will keep getting it

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by JoeyRCB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this in 03 - Bare Linen and it's not a perfect match but it was the closest to my coloring. For reference, I wear Fairly Light in the BE Original Foundation, and NW 20 in MAC. Anyway, the color Bare Linen is workable once I add a little bronzer!

I'll say right off the bat, I did not purchase the brush that is offered with this foundation. I worked for Bare Minerals for a long time and in that time, I realized that I just don't like their brushes. Love their products, hate their brushes! For me, their brushes shed too much and feel scratchy, and I prefer my MAC and Real Techniques brushes.

I tried this foundation first with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. Before you use it, shake it plenty! Shake shake shake! Depending on how much coverage you want, you're supposed to use 2 to 6 drops on each side of your face. I like very light coverage so I used one drop on each side. The texture of this foundation is weird! It's impossible to describe but it doesn't feel like you're putting anything on, and it does blend very, very easily. I have dry skin and for me, this foundation is dry skin-friendly. The coverage lasts me pretty much all day, though five hours in I should probably touch up with some setting powder. For me, this foundation does give the appearance of real skin, though again I like light coverage and I'm only using one drop on each side of my face.

I also tried this foundation with a damp Beauty Blender and I liked it even more that way. Of course, with a damp Beauty Blender, it goes on even more sheer so while the finish was extremely natural, I did have to go back and use concealer (Maybelline Fit Me) on the redness on my cheeks.

I like this foundation a lot and I think I'll like it even more when cooler weather arrives.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by appletini73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

About Face (mine): I purchased the shade "Bare Honey". I have combination skin that is more oily than dry. I do not break out easy. And I do not have sensitive skin. I have medium to deep (closer to deep) coloring with a warm undertone. I have mature 40 y/o skin, but not any noticeable fine lines. I do have deeper lines in my forehead, but I've had those since my early twenties. I have also used (and liked) the BE bareMinerals Original in Golden Tan and Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 in Medium. The climate I live in changes with the season, so my make-up routine has to suit all climates from a very hot Summer to a bitter cold Winter.

I purchased and tried this during a hot and humid Summer. It holds up well throughout the day, but a mid-morning AND mid-day powder touch-up is required. I do find my skin is more oily with this foundation in comparison to their bareMinerals line. Regarding a primer, I have normally used a lightweight moisturizer with the bareMinerals line, but found that with the BareSkin Serum Foundation using a moisturizer makes oil control even more challenging. To remedy this, I replaced a moisturizer with my facial spray (Mario Badescu Facial Spray w/ Aloe, Herb & Rosewater) as the barrier between my skin and foundation. This worked tremendously better for me.

To apply, I used a "Real Techniques" buffing brush and it worked great. I first applied it with a BE foundation brush I bought years ago, but I did not like the finish it achieved. The "Real Techniques" brush (which was not as dense) applied better, blended flawlessly and gave a nice natural finish.

Why Didn't I buy the BE Face perfecting Brush? Here's the thing, if the Sephora Consultant that applied a full face color match on me didn't find it necessary to use the BE Brush for this foundation, then why should I? I may have considered buying the brush if she/he had made a special point to use it on me. I have yet to know how this foundation applies with the Perfecting Face Brush, but at this point, why bother?

I use no less than two drops, applying one drop at a time to each side of my face. As directed I shake the product well, even between drops. The serum separates quickly in the bottle after shaking. When I forget to shake or don't shake between drops, I find it gives off a white cast. It does need a few minutes to set. So if the color looks off, give it a minute or two.

It gives good light to medium coverage. I did not like the finish that was achieved when I tried to add a second layer. On me at least, it looked heavy. The product may be "buildable", but I feel the "natural" look may be compromised. So for me, 1 layer and a good spot concealer does the trick. I set my foundation with a dusting of the BE Mineral Veil.

The finish is natural but dewy when compared to their powder formula. So if you're a Matte lover, I would steer clear of this product. BUT note, I was a loyal Matte lover, until I tried this product. It was a bit of a "game changer" for me.

Immediate and long term benefits: This product makes a lot of BIG claims.
I'm almost scared to say this, fearing that people will buy based on my experience. But their "brightening" claim, I found to be true. As I sometimes go out the door wearing nothing but a moisturizer with SPF, my bare skin, mid-day, can look dull or tired. Using this product regularly helps combat the dullness, with and without make up. Their claim to be "tone correcting", true as well. I can't put it into words, but just like the bareMinerals Powder foundation, my bare skin looks better and better the more I use it. But that was just my experience. And their claim for a more youthful appearance, I found that to be true as well. But I suspect that's the "dewy" finish.

The consistency of the serum is surprisingly light or even thin. It's the thinnest I've ever seen in a foundation or even a BB cream. It's thin, but covers well. It's messy. I thought that by switching to a liquid, my counters would be spared a powdery mess, but it was just replaced with a liquid one. But I found a trick. The mess happens after I've shaken it with the cap on (even when the cap is fully closed with the audible "click"). I think that when it's being shaken the small amount of pressure that is created, forces the serum up into the small space between the spout and the lid. So when you open the cap, the serum that was forced out escapes down the sides of the spout. To shake the product, I remove the cap and place my finger over the small spout and shake vigorously. This way the product has no nook or cranny to escape to. I also store it upright all the time. This has helped tremendously with mess and minimize product waste.

The pricing is fantastic. With quality and fluid ounces considered, it's an awesome value. A little goes a long way with this product.

Overall, I would absolutely repurchase. I'm eager to know how this will perform in the cooler months of the year. I suspect I'll like it even more then. Will I totally be replacing my bareMinerals with this? No, for two reasons. The first, old habits die hard. And second, I've used bareMinerals for 15 years and I firmly believe that it is one of the things that has helped slow down the aging process of my skin. It has to be the bareMinerals, because it's been the only constant in all of my make-up wearing years.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by jrmanor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! I was looking for a foundation that was light and not too full in coverage and this was recommended to me. It's super thin but covers enough with just a light layer. You can build coverage if you need more all over or just in certain spots, and it just looks so natural. It comes in so many shades with lots of different undertones, so it's easy to match to any skin tone. It's also pretty moderately priced, I think it was $28 at Sephora. My only complaint is that when I shake the bottle, some liquid leaks out the top and gets all on the inside of the cap so that it's messy when I open it up. I try to clean it out after each use but I feel like I'm losing product that way.