October 25, 2014 | 1699 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 9:08:00 PM More reviews by loulouJ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Works very well for me, it gives me elf- skin from Lord of the Rings! Have to admitt I've been enjoying the compliments the last few days, haha...

I agree that you have to be carefull what you have on underneath, my Skin Medica moisturizer did not play nicely with it and balled up horribly. Now I am trying a water based Vit C serum and an antioxidant serum that has a bit of silicone in it, and this seems to be a good combo. After the foundation and the rest of my makeup, I am finishing with an SPF 50 powder ( Color Science), to set it and boost the SPF.

I also agree that a brush is essential. I did buy the brush, and I quite like it, but any artifical hair buffing brush would work just as well I'm sure.

I am taking the lid off and putting a clean finger over the tip to shake it. I found quite a bit of product in the cap when I shake with the cap on.

Two or three drops does it for me, I am amazed how little it takes! I drop on the back of my hand and then dot evenly on the area I'm working on, and then buff. It doesn't dry down too quick so I have a bit of time to play. I love the satin finish, not too dewy, dot too matte. It stayed on pretty nicely after a hike in hot sun, only shiny in the T- zone. My face feels very comfortable wearing this too, it feels well hydrated and not irritated. Powder mineral foundations always make me dry and rashly after a day or two, so I am praying I don't react with this one...

Glad that I tried it on in store, because the color I was recommend on line (Bare Shell) was way too pink. I am using Bare Porcelain, which was a surprise, I don't usually need the lightest color in most lines.

This is the best foundation I've tried in years, a real keeper for me. It's a little spendy, but I think the bottle should last a long time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by CorelliaCalling

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I feel like talking about the new bareMinerals/ bareSkin liquid foundation, because it's been quite a polarising product, and some information needs to be recovered in translation. So here goes--:deep breath:--this stuff is a bit of a diva.

It's like the Christian Bale of foundations, in that it's absolutely beautiful and you can get a stellar performance from it, but if the circumstances aren't just so, it's going to be a right bastard to work with and even go off on you. Therefore, if you're looking to avoid an on-set outburst of invective, you're going to need two things: a flat-topped synthetic brush, and a light hand. Trust me, I'm always an advocate of "less is more" where foundation is concerned, but in this case, I'm standing by this conviction even harder than usual. Why? Because the formulation of this product is weirdly specific (waterless, or at least without water in its pure form, because any plant-derived liquid is going to have some water molecules in its composition), and the pigmentation means business. You don't necessarily have to shell out for the Perfecting Face Brush representing the sidekick in this hero product's marketing campaign, but you do need to apply it WITH A BRUSH, and with a brush of a certain make and model. (I use a Real Techniques Expert Face or Buffing brush, just to give you some idea.)

Also, I wouldn't layer a huge amount of product--moisturisers, primers, and Wedge knows what else--under the makeup. At most, start with a lightweight, oil-free SPF day lotion. This is a foundation/ serum hybrid, which means it has ostensibly beneficial ingredients that are supposed to bind with your skin on a cellular level and nourish it while looking as imperceptible as possible. Or some such rap. I will say that when I used a primer underneath, what's alleged to provide a satin-soft finish looked weird and filmy and artificial. If you have an oil slick for a t-zone, as I do, setting powders and sprays: learn, live, love. Then, to apply and blend--pay attention, now, because here's where most of us have been screwing the pooch--shake the bottle like a Polaroid picture for at least five seconds, remove the top, and decant ONE DROP onto the centre of your brush. Yes, just one. I won't call the Makeup Cops if you want to try for two, but, hand to the cosmos, if you start with any more than that, you are asking for a ballache.

Once your one (or two) drops are ready for action, pat the surface of the brush on each cheek, your nose, your forehead and your chin to distribute the product as evenly as you can, then go to town buffing, starting wherever you need the most coverage. After the brush has made contact with your whole face, LET IT BE; give it about a minute or so to make friends with your skin. If you decide another layer is in order once it sets, Roguespeed, but a better idea might be to go straight in with a full coverage concealer, patting it over any questionable areas. And if you're somebody who just can't bear not representing Team Beauty Blender/ Miracle Complexion Sponge (believe me, I understand), you can get it off the bench by using it after the fact. Soak it until engorged, wring it until it falls somewhere between damp and dewy, and pat it over your face, merging skin, foundation, and concealer. And boom goes the dynamite.

Just remember that foundation is the makeup item most dependent on individual tastes and chemistry, so there's no such thing as universal suitability in its realm. Sometimes you have no choice but to hit it and quit it--just make sure the store you buy it from has a fair return policy.

31 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by CosmeticDesires

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not recommended for oily skin. I do like how it gives you a glowing effect. For me it works. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Nesoi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I was previously using the BM Matte foundation before trying this. I am in between an NC20 and NC25 with yellow tones, use the shade 'Golden Fair' in the Matte version and use Bare Ivory in this Serum foundation. Colour match is great, probably the best I have ever had in a foundation.

Packaging is good - I like the plastic bottle and slim dropper. I do not use the foundation brush that comes with this, I prefer to use my fingers. The lady in the store first tried this foundation on me with the brush but I didn't like it as it didn't blend the foundation in to my skin well enough.

My skin is normal-dry and this foundation wears pretty well on me. It can get a bit shiny but it does last on my skin all day. I have worn up to 9 hours and it didn't rub off. I don't think this would be a good foundation for oily skin. It can cling to dry patches so make sure you moisturize or exfoliate well beforehand.

Coverage is light to medium. Depending on how much I apply it can look really natural (1-3 drops) or it can look like I am obviously wearing foundation (5+ drops).Evens out skin well and covers redness but not that good at covering small blemishes. It feels comfortable on my skin and doesn't break me out.

Overall I really like this and would repurchase. This definately isn't a foundation I would think most people would love but it works well for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2014 4:27:00 AM More reviews by ekhamsomphou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Alright product, i have super oily skin and it wore ok throughout the day with a primer underneath but rubbed off around my nose. also strangely enough even though this has 'minimal' ingredients, after switching to use this foundation I broke out - and my skin isn't usually prone to doing that so it was strange. don't think i'll be using this again..

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by isabella8

This is only the second time I've ever bought a foundation online without trying a tester. They don't have this in Canadian stores yet so based on reviews I'd read on Sephora's website, I ordered Bare Linen 03 because I am Fairly Light in their mineral foundation and Sephora Colour IQ #2Y06 (or MAC NC20-25). I took a chance on this foundation because I wanted something light, natural, and free of many toxic ingredients that most foundations have. I'd been a longtime user of their mineral powder foundation so I'm familiar with their tap and swirl technique, which came in handy for applying this foundation.

I'm really impressed with this foundation because it felt completely weightless on my skin. It lives up to its name as "Bare Skin"! I didn't buy their brush, instead, I used a flat-headed foundation brush I already had. Before applying the foundation, I shook the bottle vigorously, dropped 1 drop onto my brush, tapped and swirled the foundation onto my face. I repeated this 4-5 times (using 5 drops at most--a little goes a long way) all over my face. I have bad breakouts along my entire jawline and this foundation amazingly covered it all up without being cakey. I was impressed by how it covered all the redness while moisturizing my skin (my acne is dry, but my t-zone is oily). I think the brush I used was critical in evenly distributing this product. The key is having a flat-headed brush that you can swirl to reduce streaking.

The colour Bare Linen 03 was perfect for me. I would strongly recommend finishing off with a powder. I have combination skin (dry acne/oily t-zone) and it dries to a dewier finish for me because this product has quite a bit of slip to it. I dusted off with Cover FX's Translucent Setting Powder and the foundation stayed on all day. I only needed touch up around my nose mid-day.

Overall, this is one of the best foundations I've used in a long time. I'm very low-maintenance and this was quick to apply and it gave me natural looking skin. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing any foundation and I love it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by RideTheLightning

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've seen my share of hype on this on blogs/YouTube and i can't really see where it's coming from. Any i the colors in my shade range are too pink and it oxidizes a lot. On top of it it doesn't set well and clings to ANY and EVERY fine line, dry spot, and every hair on your face even if it's not normally visible. I have combination skin and this clung horribly to my drier areas and slid right off normal to oily areas. And as a side note there is absolutely NO reason to get the equally as expensive brush to go with it. I noticed absolutely NO difference in application between using the brush you're meant to buy, my sigma F80 flat top kabuki, or even my $3 elf flat top powder brush. Shame on companies like Bare Minerals for pushing useless/sub-par brushes as being necessary to get a good look with a foundation.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2014 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried to make it work, I really did. I bought shade three, Bare Linen (NC20-25), the color was pretty good, the coverage felt light but kind of funny (like you'd be afraid to touch your face or hug anyone for fear of smearing) and it didn't break me out but those were the only goods. I have sensitive dry skin that is acne-prone, which of course makes it a join to work with, here are some of the ways...

Trial 1: With Moisturizer and primer - using three drops on a e.l.f. powder brush (the dense flat-top one) and using a stippling and buffing motion I found it had a nice satin finish and covered minor blemishes and uneven skin tone well but that slid off my face about 3 hours later and caught little fine lines around my mouth.

Trial 2: Same as above abut with a slight powdering - lasted about 3.5 hours and noticed coverage began to fade.

Trial 3: Moisturizer - Same method as trail 1 but lasted roughly 1 hour when I noticed fading coverage.

Trial 3: Primer - using three on a e.l.f. powder brush (the dense flat-top one) and using a stippling and buffing motion I found it had matte finish that covered minor blemishes and uneven skin tone well but accentuated dryness and fine lines.

Trial 4: Mixed three drops into moisturizer and primer (in hand) and applied with fingers, found coverage much sheerer (as to be expected) but streaky and hard to blend.

I just don't think it's going to work for me, in theory I love it - I love the idea of light but flawless coverage without all the garbage they put in foundations nowadays, a foundation that it supposed to help your skin but I just can't seem to make it work, despite properly exfoliation, moisturizing and priming it just won't last on me or wants to highlight any dryness I might have. Oh well, back to the hunt for the perfect foundation. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by CStuartMonteith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh! dear, I just tried the new Chanel powder foundation (see my review) and now I have tried the sample the SA gave me.
I have never had much luck with Bare Escentuals. Their mineral foundations look dreadful on me, although I admit that the feel on my skin is decent.
This one does not even feel good on my skin. It is very matte, at least on me as I have normal/dry skin, and highlights every single line and wrinkle. I look for a foundation which improves (at least momentarily) my skin, not make it look worse. It is difficult to blend (I used a Sigma brush) and despite the heavy feel, does not hide any of my brown spots. I cannot honestly recommend it to anybody, even if you have a young problem free skin, as it would do nothing to enhance it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2014 3:39:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

The quest continues....you know what quest I'm talking about, the one for a great foundation. Sadly, this one isn't it.
CONS
1. The packaging. I have arthritis in my hands, the hard plastic bottle makes it almost impossible to squeeze out even a drop. I tried shaking it out and that didn't work either.
2. The formula. This literally sits on top of my skin and never sinks in...it highlights every bit of dry skin, every pore, ever crease.
3. I have been through menopause and have hot flashes, but even if it's just humidity...this doesn't stay on, it's sweats off and moves around.
4. Price. Expensive!
PROS
1. A little bit goes a long way, but the more you put on...the worse it looks. So, it's hard to get it to build up to a decent coverage without looking like a mask.
This was an epic fail for me and I'll be returning it.