December 19, 2014 | 1696 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 7:48:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me start out by saying that I rarely wear mascara. I know that for a lot of women (most women, maybe), mascara is the ONE cosmetic item without which they won't leave the house but for years now, I've had problems with mascara on my left eye (and only my left eye). Even if I don't put it on my lower lashes, it seems I always get a grey shadow under my left eye as the day wears on. I do find there are a few mascaras that are less likely to do this and also, if I use the Clarins "Fix" product, I won't have this problem but in the main, I just find it too much trouble.

Because I rarely use mascara, I'm reluctant to spend a lot on this product since it has to be tossed out within 3 or 6 months and I've also found that price is not an indicator of whether or not I will get the grey "smudge". But my daughter is getting married next month and for that, I will wear mascara. I also know I will shed plenty of tears (she is my first-born and our only daughter and this is going to be a very emotional day). I've liked the regular Voluminous mascara in past so decided to give the waterproof version a trial. I have to say I am very pleased. So far, no grey "smear" (and that's even with a creamy concealer, though I do set it with setting powder) and the results it gives in terms of lengthening and thickening the look of my lashes is good enough for me - perhaps not spectacular but certainly nice and natural (I really don't want to look like those models in the ads - the ones who look like someone has stuck bottle-brushes on their eyes! - the ones with the oh-so-fine print stating they are filmed with "lash inserts" or have been "enhanced"). For the price, this mascara seems to deliver everything I want. Hopefully, it will perform well "on the big day".

UPDATE: The "big day" passed this weekend and I am happy to be able to say that my mascara lasted through a very long day and a few floods of very happy tears. It's a bit of work to remove this stuff - even with MAC's cleansing oil, it doesn't just "melt away" as easily as I'd hoped but I may start wearing mascara every day because this stuff didn't give me a grey smear under my eye even 20 hours after applying it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by sexyann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought the Voluminous waterproof Mascara in Carbon Black. When I first applied it, it really did look nice. I was expecting this to be my new favorite mascara. However, as the day went on, I found more and more black smudges of the mascara under my eyes. I have long eye lashes but curl them prior to applying mascara. I am assuming that the only reason why I had some smudges under my eyes later in the day were because if when I would look down, some of the mascara must have touched my skin and smeared there. I will not be repurchasing this again. There are so many other inexpensive mascaras that do not give you a raccoon eye that this one isn't worth the effort or money to purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2013 2:46:00 PM More reviews by cyberhd

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate it this mascara! I bought it because of all the hype. It's very wet for a waterproof mascara. I only buy waterproof because its the only formula that keeps my poker straight Asian lashes curled all day. With this one after I curled my lashes & applied this on, it weighed it down straight and its very clumpy too. I hate it, I will be taking this back to get my money back.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2013 5:41:00 PM More reviews by leandraheartsmakeup

I hate this product! It doesn't lengthen or thickens my lashes. It's really wet which is quite weird because I thought waterproof formulas were supposed to be more dry? It really weighs my lashes down and won't hold a curl at all! It's too wet, and I've had it for a while and it's still very wet, have no clue why, because most mascaras tend to get dryer after a few weeks, but this is still as wet as the first time I bought it. I like the original non waterproof version of this mascara though. The only time I ever use this is putting on top of my normal mascara if I need my lashes to be waterproof, but that's it. It does a good job of being waterproof, but it does come off if you go in the water but it won't smudge and give you raccoon eyes. Overall, I wouldn't repurchase.. There are definitely better options out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2013 4:12:00 AM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is not a bad mascara to me. It does a decent job of lengthening and thickening my short lashes, also doesn't smudge and it's definitely waterproof.

I only use waterproof mascaras and this so far offers the best volume out of all the other waterproof mascaras that I used. However it does clumps and after 2 or 3 coats, it starts to weight down the curls, so I always have to curl my eyelash again after using this mascara.

I wouldn't compare this with a non-waterproof mascara, because the non-waterproof formula always gives a better result. However, as a waterproof mascara, it does a better job than many other waterproof mascaras.

Upadte: I've been using this mascara for one month now and decide to update my rating to 5 lipsticks instead of 4, because I believe I've found my HG waterproof mascara now. The more I use it the more I love it. After using it a few times, the formula became dryer than when it's new, so it doesn't weight down my curls any more. It actually holds on curls pretty well even after 3 coats. Also it only clumps when I apply the 'Z' direction in the bottom of lashes, which actually works wonders to give me that volume, and it separates lashes pretty well when I apply upwards. I'm so happy that I've finally found my HG mascara after all these years.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by lovesmakeup525

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I personally had a problem with it but I often get severe problems with waterproof mascara..unfortunately.

It builds up really nicely and makes my lashes very pretty....long, full, thick, and curled.

The formula is slightly dry and flaky compared to the washable.

The staying power is great.

It gives length AND volume and overall this is just a great mascara.

My eyes had problems with it but my eyes are stubborn with WP mascara so I think it's just me. Think I need to stick to washable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

This mascara was the staple in my mom's makeup bag and growing up I always saw her apply this. I started using it in middle school and high school then wandered away from it and tried countless others both high end and drug store. This is the mascara I come back to. Old reliable. The water proof is the better choice to hold the curl

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Jules4272

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This mascara is my basic go-to product. It's the mascara that I don't have to think about buying when I am need. That being said, it's not a perfect product.
As someone with bone-straight eyelashes that are decently long, my mascara has to be waterproof and have holding power, or else, sorry but what ever other benefits it may have had, I just won't notice. In my experience, waterproof mascaras tend to have the best holding power. L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof does a great job of getting my lashes up (with the help of a curler of course, this isn't a miracle product) and keeping them up. Since so few other mascaras do this for me, Voluminous already gets points from me, but like I said earlier, this product isn't perfect.
It does tend to smudge a little part way through the day, though this may be partially because I have very oily skin. And though it smudges, I never notice that it detracts from the look of my mascara, nor is it difficult to quickly wipe away.
Back to the good things; Despite being waterproof, it's easily washable with just water and a bit of face wash. It's buildable without clumping (within reason of course, all mascaras are going to look clumpy after a certain amount of coats!), which is great because it means I don't have to use a different mascara for school as I do for going out. Regularly priced at about $10 (here in Canada), but it often goes on sale for $5 to $7, which is pretty good.
Overall, this is a great standard mascara if you don't wind wiping under your eyes maybe once (and really only maybe) during the day!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by girlnextdoor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My main problem with this mascara is that it smudges. It gives lovely drama and is gently waterproof, but my skin and eyelids are oily, and I get smudges all under my eyes within a few hours. I usually only use this mascara on my top lashes for "night out" makeup, and I still get raccoon eyes. I'll probably use it up, but I won't rebuy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

I thought this was fantastic mascara for the first two weeks of use. Gradually and progressively, I developed what I thought was an unrelated problem: Pinkeye. After a visit to an eye doctor, I stopped using this mascara and switched brands. That's when the eye irritation disappeared (it wasn't Pinkeye). I can no longer wear any L'Oreal mascaras due to some as-of-yet-unidentified ingredient that I'm apparently allergic to. Sad but true....