Guerlain Maxi Lash Mascara

4.3

Water, Paraffin, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Polybutene, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Cera Carnauba, Candelilla Cera, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Geraniol, Limonen, Citral, Bht. May contain: Mica, Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77007 (Ultramarines), Ci 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), Ci 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), Ci 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide).

on 2/27/2014 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I never thought that mascara actually did much for my eyelashes, no matter how many coats I applied. I thought all mascaras were the same, and I have tried a bunch of popular ones like DiorShow Black Out, which all seemed to just coat my lashes with black, but never actually made them look longer, thicker, or nicer. I was recommended this mascara by someone on the makeup board, and I decided to order it one day online without having tried it first. The first time I put it on, I noticed that my lashes actually looked dramatically longer and thicker. I was really surprised because that never happens to me with mascara, and I previously could only get that effect with false eyelashes. However, I wasn't too pleased when the thick, wet formula caused my eyelashes to droop and straighten out, which was disappointing because one of the mascara's claims is that it curls the eyelashes. I have naturally straight lashes, which I had curled, so anything wet or heavy will make the curl straighten out very quickly. Curling the eyelashes with after the mascara was on was a bad idea because it just made my eyelashes clump together and look bad. The next time I got a chance, I applied a waterproof mascara, and then a single coat of Guerlain Maxi Lash, and I finally got the effect I wanted without my lashes straightening out! My eye lashes looked amazing, and I could definitely see the dramatic effect of longer, thicker, curled lashes. Maxi Lash does not yet come in a waterproof formula as far as I know, but if if it did, that would be the perfect mascara for me. I will definitely not be without this mascara a single coat of this does what no other mascara (with even 5 coats or more) could ever do for my lashes.

I also tried YSL's Baby Doll mascara to compare to Guerlain Maxi Lash (both at $30), and I can say Guerlain Maxi Lash is better if you want very long, thick lashes that are almost like falsies. YSL's Baby Doll is nice and creates feathered, separated lashes, but the effects of lengthening and thickening are not as dramatic as Guerlain Maxi Lash, even with two or three coats.

on 2/24/2014 5:51:00 PM

I tried this at Sephora. The immediate effect is a fluttery, light and well defined lash. You are not going to get major volume with this unless you line your lashline and add tons of falsies. The packaging is beautiful and the black and brown color are lovely, but ultimately, unless you are a major Guerlain fan and don't mind too much about building up the lashes (just feathering them out), you'll pass on this.

on 2/14/2014 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I went into Sephora with the intent to buy a mascara that was next level and make my lashes look like I had fake ones on. I was pointed right to Guerlain Maxi Lash and the girl who sold me on it said it was so volumizing and lengthening that she would only wear it on special occasions. Needless to say I am pretty disappointed.

I honestly think the brush is extremely similar to L'oreal volumious. This mascara is just so-so, especially for the price. I really got my hopes up and thought I would love this mascara, but I don't think I will be buying it again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Such an expensive mascara but it's only just so-so. It didn't do much to my lashes... I like volumnizing and darkening mascaras, this one only gave a nice black coat over the lashes. That's it! Just a black coat! I also found the bottle only lasted a month for me (of daily use)! Usually I am able to squeeze a few more weeks after its due date, but this became dry in a month. I will not be repurchasing again..

on 1/27/2014 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Separates lashes with no clumps, very build able to the point where it looks like you have fake lashes!

Update - it gets a bit clumpy when it starts to run out, and isn't the most lengthening mascara I've tried.

on 1/25/2014 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For me, this mascara was just average. Truly meh. Beautiful tube, wonderful scent, but it didn't hold my curl at *all* and only gave me length and separation (just like Definicils mascara). On my lashes, there is zero volume with Maxi Lash, no matter how much I applied or how I applied it (with and without Lancome's base). Since I love the look of full, thick lashes, I returned this to Sephora. I get better results with drugstore mascara.

on 1/12/2014 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I exclusively use high end and mid range mascaras because I find them to be significantly better than drugstore ones. This was my first Guerlain mascara that I purchased and it was on a whim. I typically don't purchase non waterproof mascaras, but I figured I'd give it a go as a layering mascara. It doesn't give much length, but I does help with volume. I recommend anyone with thin, straight lashes that naturally point downwards and have trouble holding a curl to only use this mascara with a waterproof base mascara underneath, as this will definitely weigh them downwards. Overall, I don't think this mascara is anything special for $30. It's not a bad mascara, but that being said I think I'll keep trying new ones than repurchase this when it's through.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

So much love for this mascara. I was on the prowl for a luxe mascara and this did not disappoint. I've had it for about 3 months now so it's time to replace it...anyway!

TEXTURE/SCENT/PACKAGING
This mascara comes in a short squared off polished gold rube embossed with the Guerlain logo. The brush handle is shorter than usual mascaras but it doesn't hinder the usage.
The brush itself is very reminiscent of YSL faux cils except this is morr rounded and the bristles are spaced slightly further apart which helps to peevent clumps for me.
This has a high end perfumed scent so if you are sensitive to scents you may need to give this a miss. I've never experienced a 'scented' mascara until I used this. It gives it a very luxe special feel.

PERFORMANCE
This fans, separates, lengthens and slightly plumps my lashes and is layerable without clumping. It's not a very wet mascara but its not dry either. Mine has sort of dried down rather than dried out but I am due for a new one. The brush tends to get flattened towards the end of the mascaras cycle and I have been layering it.
Is it worth $40AUD? yes and no. I love the luxe feel, the scent and the overall outcome but its so so so hard to justify this on mascaras.

on 12/30/2013 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Another mascara I loved for the first couple of weeks, yet again another mascara has failed me. The first week I thought I found my holy Grail of mascara. It made my lashes doll like and long. I really could care less about volume.
Well to make my long story short after two weeks again another mascara starts to dry up and start to clump.
Oh I forgot to say, it did smudge on my upper lids from day one,, which I would have been willing to live with. Oh well it sucks and back it goes to sephora.

on 12/19/2013 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I loved this at first. The scent, the packaging, the application. Creamy and simple.

After about 2 weeks the mascara started having more fall-out by the end of day, sometimes even after a couple of hours in the morning! I would find that mascara was repeatedly smearing under my left eye, and I never apply mascara under my eyes to begin with!!

I'm at a loss, still searching for that perfect one.