Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

4.3

Not tested on animals

sucrose, propylene glycol, carbon (activated charcoal), kaolin musa sapientum (banana) fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut extract), zingiber officinale (ginger) root extract, psidium guajava fruit extract, cymbopogon schoenanthus extract, carica papaya fruit extract, maranta arundinacea root extract, rubus idaeus (raspberry) fruit extract, santalum album (sandalwood) extract, macrocystus pyrifera extract, nasturtium officinale extract, aleurites moluccana extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, carbomer, fragrance (parfum), iron oxide.

on 12/5/2014 6:34:00 PM

I have horrible combination skin that always has cystic acne popping up around my cheeks and forehead. I bought this mask last summer when I decided I was going to search a local beauty store for something to fix the problem! A cashier there told me that this mask was the best thing she had ever put on her face. Of course I bought it! Especially at that price!y cousin bought a bottle too and we both applied it for the first time together. We applied it for 7 minutes and then exfoliated for 2 minutes. I didn't mind the consistency I found it really... cool actually! It was different and smelled amazing.
At first it worked wonders! My skin was soft and firm and my acne was looking like it was going to finally shrink.
I was wrong.
It worked for about five weeks (using twice a week). At first my skin was smoother and softer but eventually my skin started to react. It became absolutely dreadful. My acne had even started popping up in places it had never been before. This mask was the only thing new added to my skin routine. I stopped using it and the acne stopped being so severe fairly quickly. I talked to my cousin who had used the mask the same way I did and she had similar results. Her skin was already prettu oily and was a mess too.
What a pity because I really wanted this to work. :(
I ended up switching to Saint Ives Apricot Fresh Skin Scrub and it has been working so far!
This mask is alright as a luxury item but really you should put your money into something else. Luckily it isn't a huge loss considering its low cost but it's softening ingredients just aren't worth the spots.
I would not recommend.

on 12/5/2014 8:13:00 AM

Don't let the charcoal turn you off, this smells AMAZING!

on 12/3/2014 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Bought the sample size after reading about charcoal as the new "it" facial trend. This mask was voted Best of Beauty 2013 in Allure mag & got rave reviews on MUA & various blogs. After trying it once, I ran to get the full size tube. FYI, have normal-dry Latin olive skin with a touch of Rosacea on my cheeks. Looks like I have slightly risky cheeks. This is a mask/scrub hybrid. Love multitasking products. The scent is both clean & a bit masculine (nice). There are sugar granules in an oil base (lavender). The sugar gives the mask a dense feel so I try to spread it on well as to warm the mask. I let it sit for 10 minutes then massage it in fir a minute before rinsing with warm water. Rinses off with easily & leaves my skin feeling super soft & relaxed. My skin even looks brighter & fresh a bit afterwards. I started using it in the summertime & think it will work well year-round. Lots of good ingredients (carbon, ginger, coconut & various fruits, lavender oil, sandalwood). I use a mask once a week & this is in my permanent rotation.

on 11/20/2014 9:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Bought this in a special sale for just 2,5 euros. Big tube, so a lot of bang for your buck. It comes out as a gritty black substance, a bit difficult to apply without actually already trying to exfoliate. Left it on for the recommended time and did the exfoliating part in the shower. It left my skin very soft, minor bumps were a little less prominent, and my skin looked brighter. The day after I still saw the effect. Not earth shattering or something, but still enough for me to like it. Packaging is a bit strange, as you cannot really get the cap to close properly because of the grittiness of the mask.

on 11/15/2014 12:37:00 AM

Really smooths skin

on 11/12/2014 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Freeman's is generally a good brand, and charcoal masks generally work pretty well. But, this didn't work for me. Made my skin feel clean, sure, but it actually somehow made my skin look...duller. I ended up just using it as a mild exfoliator for other parts of my body in the shower, which it works just fine as. I can't recommend this, I much prefer Freeman's pineapple mask.

on 11/10/2014 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried the sample version of this product and I loved it. It left my face so clean and refreshing. I thought it would be too harsh considering I have sensitive skin but nope it was gentle enough to go on my face and it really gives you that deep clean feeling. I will buy this product again.

I bought this mask because I am a huge fan of the Freeman Cucumber Peel-Off Mask. I saw this charcoal mask next to the peel off mask and it definitely sparked my interest. Charcoal and BLACK sugar? Sure, why not? After I washed my face, I dried it and started to apply the mask. The sugar makes it difficult to apply to the face (sugar clumps kept crumbling off). The mask kinda makes me look like I face-planted in the mud—it wasn't a smooth, full coverage mask like I had thought it would be. But whatever! I like it anyway! When the time came to scrub it into my skin, the sugar had dried thicker, and the scrubbing was VERY strong. Not necessarily harsh, but strong. I could see my skin getting very red where I was scrubbing, but it goes away after five minutes previous to rinsing. After rinsing, I immediately noticed that my black heads were practically gone! And my pores were much smaller. My skin was incredibly smooth with no dry, flaking skin left behind. My skin could breathe! As far as acne goes, I'll have to use this once a week for a few weeks in order to tell you. But anyway, I can't believe how flawless this product made my skin look and feel.

on 11/7/2014 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I like this product a lot.

This is a gritty, grainy mask/scrub. I like it more as a scrub. I have combination/oily skin that can look dull sometimes, so every 2-3 days I use this in the shower. It can be harsh, so I scrub gently with my hands at first. if you have sensitive skin, I suggest that you leave this on for a minute or two before scrubbing; the sugar crystals will dissolve a little and the scrub will be gentler. The packaging is a bit of a pain - I have to slam it down on the edge of the tub for it to close. I still prefer it to a jar though.

I love what it does to my face, especially for the price, and I've already purchased a backup.

on 11/6/2014 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I have a lot of masks by Freeman, but this is probably my favorite. I have oily skin, so I think that exfoliating is essential! This mask smells really good, but I can't describe it. It's a unique scent! I do use it as a mask, so I wet my face with water (preferably warm) and then gently apply it to my face. The water just helps it stick and leaving it on detoxifies the skin. I wash it off with warm or hot water, so that my pores are open and I get the nasty out. The real exfoliating takes place during this step because washing it off causes it to rub on the skin. If you have sensitive skin, I don't think this is for you. The texture is extremely gritty! I love the product, but the packaging needs work. Since it's so gritty, the cap on the tube can be hard to close, so just wipe off the excess and close it. It might take a few tries, but it'll eventually close. All in all, it's the greatest Freeman mask there is. Plus, it smells heavenly. It leaves my face looking smooth and polished, just as it claims.