Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

4.3

Not tested on animals

sucrose, propylene glycol, carbon (activated charcoal), kaolin musa sapientum (banana) fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut extract), zingiber officinale (ginger) root extract, psidium guajava fruit extract, cymbopogon schoenanthus extract, carica papaya fruit extract, maranta arundinacea root extract, rubus idaeus (raspberry) fruit extract, santalum album (sandalwood) extract, macrocystus pyrifera extract, nasturtium officinale extract, aleurites moluccana extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, carbomer, fragrance (parfum), iron oxide.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a bargain product. It felt really warming when I applied it. I put it too close to my eyes and it started to sting a little bit, but I blame that on myself and not on the product. The sugar exfoliated my skin well, and it caused no breakouts. My skin was left soft. I will definitely be repurchasing.

on 1/18/2015 10:54:00 PM

Love this stuff! Gentle enough for my skin. I use once a week. My face totally feels polished and clean afterward. Letting it sit couple minutes seems to do the skin good. My only complaint is the cap doesn't close well after product is used, it doesn't come out either, so I guess thats fine? Lol. I use it in the shower after the steam has worked its magic and opened le pores up. That way I can use on the upper half of my upperbody. It can get pretty messy, this keeps it from getting anywhere else besides the shower vicinity. Feels pretty harsh if you're scrubbing too hard, but if you're gentle it is too!

on 1/13/2015 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tried the single use of this mask. I haven't tried any of these charcoal or black masks yet and so I was looking forward to trying it. I didn't like t his one. It was just too clumpy and didn't apply evenly. Sure -- it exfoliated my skin -- that one is a definite --- but I didn't care for large chunks of black sugar (basically) clinging to my face. Pass.

on 1/4/2015 4:31:00 AM

I have oily/combo skin that's prone to acne, so it's hard to find products that won't totally dry it out or ramp up oil production. Since adding this product to my "routine", I've been much happier with my skin. I use 2 times a week at night in the bath (it gives me an excuse to relax and enjoy it!) after washing my face. I wash with Cetaphil sensitive skin face wash beforehand, or else my skin comes out extremely dry. I've noticed since starting to use this mask/scrub, my face has begun to look brighter and blackheads are less noticeable. After scrubbing and washing the mask off, my skin does feel kind of "slippery" before drying it off, but I think that's from the sugar. I ALWAYS moisturize (with Cetaphil sensitive skin) after using this product because while it does make my face feel soft and it does dry up the oil...I don't want the oil to return with a vengeance. But since I've begun using this mask regularly, the blackheads on my nose especially have become less noticeable and are starting to disappear. Not a miracle cure, of course, but if someone who has skin like mine and is looking for an inexpensive additive to add to their routine...this is the product to get!! At $4 a bottle, it's definitely easy on the pocketbook. Hopefully this review will help someone out!

on 1/2/2015 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

AMAZING! I have very dry skin with little acne. Whenever I use a face wash my face feels tight and very dry. This "mask" was more of a face scrub, but it still worked wonders on my skin. My skin didnt feel tight and was the least bit dry. It worked so great on my acne and helped the redness die down. The only con was sometimes the cap on the lid doesnt close all the way, but its no big deal. Im in love with this product and would really recommend it!

on 12/31/2014 10:58:00 PM

I love using this product twice a week. I was a little reluctant to use this product at first when I realized there were grains of sugar in it because most exfoliators irritate my cheeks as they are sensitive. This product did not cause my irritation at all. My brother also uses this sometimes did not cause irritation with his face either.

on 12/27/2014 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought it yesterday. Unfortunely it wasn't available in a full size bottle. It sooooo good. It exfoliates. The black sugar helps so much. What i did was applied it to my face and neck for like 10 minutes and then i applied a little amount of water and started to massage for 2 minutes and the rinse . my skin felt soft. it works!

on 12/15/2014 7:29:00 PM

I have been using this mask/scrub for a while, a little less than a year. I like to exfoliate often due to difficult skin with an oily t-zone and minor acne. I have used Queen Helene's Julep Mint face scrub for a few years, but it has become increasingly harder to find in my area, so when I was searching for other scrubs I came across the Freeman's Charcoal and Black Sugar scrub at Ulta.

The scrub warms up on the face and feels really good and tingly while on the skin. Yes, there is a bit of fallout due to the consistency of the scrub, but I don't mind it. I leave it on anywhere from 10-15 minutes then exfoliate with it for at least a minute and rinse off. It is great to put on before entering the shower, and then remove at the end.

It makes my skin very soft and clears it of all the makeup and junk I get after a full day of having makeup on. I haven't really noticed a difference in pore size or if it really does combat blackheads, but it is a great exfoliant. It creates a smooth surface to apply makeup and gets rid of rough patches. I would recommend it to everyone to try it for at least for a week to see how it matches up to your current scrub.

on 12/13/2014 12:43:00 AM

this stuff is a blessing for my face.
ive always loved freeman products like the cucumber peel mask, pineapple enzyme mask, dead sea mineral clay mask etc. and i have experimented with a lot of exfoliant products for my skin.
i have combination skin, oily nose and cheeks dry forehead etc. also pretty pale with pink undertones. exfoliants are a product i need with my skin type. my old hg scrub was soap and glory's "scrub your nose in it". this was also a mask/scrub hybrid. however, soap and glory's scrub hurt my eyes and my face after two minutes, and was only good for spot treatment.
freeman got the scrub/mask right. the product is a pleasing dark colour and super grainy. doesn't spread evenly. smells like lavender and raspberries to me. i applied to dry skin, left for 8 mins, and rinsed with circular scrubbing.
the results were incredibly soft, bright skin. the pores on my nose and around it had shrunk. and my face smelled good, no evidence of any abuse against my skin. my skin is kinda sensitive and it didn't affect me.
this is a thick scrub so i think i will try to keep my usage to 3 times a week. I'm so happy i found this stuff. so much bang for your buck!

I am not surprise of beauty products that contain charcoal. I have finished off a tube of charcoal facial wash and not intend to buy anything with charcoal as it does not perform well to keep my skin from oily and pimple free (well, at least reduce it). I am looking for a peel off mask that can clear my sebum and blackheads and find this product very interesting.

I am attracted by the words "black sugar", thinking that it might be something like sugar cane extract that keeps your face moisturised and it might act like honey. This product smells sweet and lavender-y and under the ingredient list, it mostly contains "fruits" that we consume on daily basis which to my opinion, it at least does not contain much chemical ingredients that are harsh to skin!

It makes my skin warm when I start apply it on my face and it is difficult to spread it evenly as it contains rough and coarse sugar. I usually let it sit on my face as a mask to cleanse the dirt and sebum (due to the reason that I wear a complete makeup everyday and keeping my skin free from all makeup residue is important) and maybe after 10 minutes, I will put a bit of water on my face and start exfoliate and rub my face in circular motion. It does not make my face feels pain or uncomfortable as the sugar starts to melt and it will be less painful to skin.

(Am I the only person who taste these gritty sugar to make sure that it is real sugar and it is sweet? I have read some Taiwan magazines that the beautician encourages people to use coarse sugar as exfoliator to exfoliate lips. But I have personally tried to use sea salt to scrub my skin as we all know that salt is good for anti-bacteria and low cost as I can get it from kitchen. The result is even better than using apricot kernel or walnut shells in facial scrub and it helps to keep my skin healthier and more glow and lesser pimple).

I will wash off my face after most of the sugar is melted. It makes my face squeaky clean and very very smooth. My face never feels anything like this before and the pimples and little bums actually shrink and less obvious! I really hope that this product can help me regain my healthy and pimple free skin so that I can rely lesser on BB cream and face powder to cover my pimples, scars, large pores etc.

Before I finish my first tube, I have bought a second one as back up, who knows one day it might disappear from the drug store racks and can never be found again in my city. If it cannot be found again, I will use sea salt as substitution again.