November 21, 2014 | 1723 users online

Eye Primer - Milani - Eye Primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 3:14:00 PM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my HG primer. For years I never used primer. Is this a new thing, because I merely suffered with creasing, migrating shades, muddy colors, and excessive fading until my thirties. All throughout my teens and twenties we didn't have primer. If there was such a thing, we'd never heard of it. My first exposure was when I was looking into the UD Book of Shadows and it came with a sample of Primer Potion. I was like, "pfffft who needs primer?"

Well, my sister started raving about eyeshadow primer and how it made your colors super pigmented and how it kept everything from creasing and fading. For Christmas she gave me a tube of the E.L.F. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer and I was hooked. When my E.L.F. primer started to dry up I wanted to find something to replace it with. Not content to spend $20+ on eyeshadow primer, I searched the drugstore. Most cosmetic brands have their own version of a primer, but CVS had Milani BOGO 50% off, so I snagged a tube of their primer.

The first time I swatched it I was highly underwhelmed. It looked yellow, it applied thick and goopy, it didn't dry well, it was super sticky. I was about ready to throw it in the trash, but fortunately I didn't. Instead, I tried it again the next day, only this time I massaged the tube prior to using the product. Eureka! The ingredients had separated from sitting in the store and it just needed a little mixing back together. After that it worked much better. It applied sort of yellowish, but dries invisible. It doesn't settle in the creases or lines in the lid skin. And eyeshadow applies nicely.

I did a test on the back of my hand. I tried three different brands of eyeshadow, different brushes, and then used E.L.F. on one side of my hand and Milani on the other. Not only were the shades noticeably more pigmented when applied over the Milani, but when I did the rub-off test, the Milani shades stayed put, while the ones applied over the E.L.F. eyeshadow primer almost completely wiped away. I was super impressed after my little experiment and decided to buy an extra tube, just in case I ran out. My CVS is almost always sold out of this primer. It's that good!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by LindsayRoseEliz

This is, hands down, the best eye shadow primer that I have ever used--drugstore or high end. It even beats out Palladio's Herbal Eye Shadow Primer, which used to be my favorite.

The consistency is a lot like Too Faced Shadow Insurance. The product is a slight tan color, but it blends out colorless on my fair skin. The directions say to let it sit for 30 seconds before applying shadow, which allows the product to set and dry a little. While I don't notice it enhancing the color of eye shadow, it definitely enhances staying power. On my oily lids, powder shadows last 8-10 hours before they start creasing, 6-7 with cream shadows.

My only gripe is the cap. It's one of those caps that you can keep turning and it never really tightens all the way--if you turn it too much, it loosens up again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by DoraZ

This has been one of the best MU purchases I've made in quite a while! I've been looking for more drugstore options since HE makeup has gotten so terribly expensive and I'm glad I bought this little gem of a product because it works really well. I paid around $7 for this at K-Mart, the tube is 0.30 oz and I think you get a lot of product for the price. As far as the actualy product itself, my experience has been nothing but positive. I have combination skin so my T-Zone (which includes my eyelids) can get pretty oily and this keeps my eyeshadow where I put it. I've been really surprised that I've gotten home after long 10+ hour days and my eyeshadow hasn't creased, smudged or worn off! I apply it with my fingers and wait for 30 seconds to a minute for it to set, it seems to blend really well and so far hasn't gotten dry or tacky. At such a bargain I highly recommend Milani's Eye Primer!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by curlyhairchick369

hey you. yeah you. you know who you are. your eyeshadow is constantly creasing, and you want your eyeshadow to stay longer and look more vibrant, but the high price tags on the popular primers like urban decay primer potion, or the benefit or the nars versions are turning you off. "should i really pay $21 for something that won't even be seen on my eyes?" , you think to yourself. the answer is no. look no further, because this product is everything youve been wanting and more. this product is amazing. it comes on your lids just tacky enough for eyeshadow to stick, but if you wear the primer without shadow you'll notice it turns completely matte and almost dry even on your lids (in a good way). this will be amazing for those oily lidded gals. needless to say, this does not crease, or fade, or smudge. did i mention it also provides amazing coverage for my red, veiny, disgusting eyelids? this primer is everything you want, for a fraction of the costs of other, more hyped primers at sephora. GO GET YOU SOME

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2014 8:11:00 AM More reviews by chatterboxlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this primer because of the high ratings here on MUA. For reference I have seriously oily lids. Also, I live in a tropical country so that's another factor to consider when judging the longevity and efficacy of a product. I use UDPP and Etude House Proof10 primer (Korean brand) to make my eyeshadows stay. For review purposes, my comparison will be versus the UDPP since Proof10 isn't widely available.

This primer is more spreadable vs UDPP. UDPP dries fast. Too fast that when you don't spread it immediately, it can be patchy. Milani gives you a few seconds to spread the product and according to instructions, another 30 seconds to let the product set before applying shadows. It does make my shadows vibrant but does not stick around as much as when I use UDPP. At best, my shadows stay flawless for over 4 hours before signs of fading are seen. With UDPP, the same shadows last for over 8 hours before it starts to fade and crease. I would still use this for my under eye since it's spreadable. It could help my corrector/ concealer stay in place. I will try layering this with my usual primers to see they work better together.

Overall, UDPP still ranks first, with Etude Proof 10 as a very close runner up (can pass as a UDPP dupe actually). I would recommend the Milani primer to those with dry to normal lids.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 6:31:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow! I picked this up on a whim after I had finished up a tube of my usual primer ( TFSI). I wasn't expecting much and was only planning to use this until my next trip to Sephora, but after using this a few times I think this might be my new primer of choice! It keeps my makeup looking fresh for just as long (13+ hours for powder eye shadow, about 10-11 for eye liner) as UDPP and TFSI, but at a third of the price. I wouldn't call it a dupe for either product as the consistency is different (Milani's is thinner/less creamy than the other two and is less tinted), but it does the same job and does it just as well. I haven't tried it yet with a sheer or powdery shadow to see if it's as good at enhancing sub-par quality shadows as a high end primer, but just in terms of meeting my every day eye makeup needs this primer is a steal for the price. I'd highly recommend it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I haven't bought udpp since it came with a wand. Once my last tube ran out I decided to try drugstore a primer. There isn't a big selection tbh! When milani came out with this I of course picked it up immediately. It works well. It does exactly what an eyeprimer should do while being affordable and from a cruelty free company. I'm very happy with how my eye makeup holds up throughout the day and the packaging is simple & I think, cute. Will repurchase!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2013 2:56:00 AM More reviews by Jerena

Finally a drugstore dupe for UDPP!!! I had to go the the store that i hate just to get this primer and i'm glad i did. Consistency wasn't as creamy as udpp but it lasts the same on my eyelids. Now i don't need to buy anymore UD for 20$ when this one cost only 6$ and its basically the same product.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Maryso

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Loving it! A little goes a long way, great for keeping my eyeshadows on, and my FAVORITE PART is that it even helps my cat-eye liquid liner stay on all day. Very happy with this impulse buy!! ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by supeya

This primer definately makes my eyeshadow a lot vibrant and last longer. Many people are comparing this primer to UDPP, which I strongly disagree because it prevents any creasing and increases the longevity of the shadows. The consistency and color of the product is similar. However, I didn't like the finish this primer gave me. For some reason every time I used my eyeshadows with this primer, I had wrinkles/folds on my eyelids, which I don't have naturally. It made my eyes look old. It is kind of weird for me because I don't have this problem even without any primer or with any other primers I ever used. If anyone is looking for a cheap eyeshadow primer, I will highly recommend the ELF eye primer which is about $3 and it gives a excellent finish.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No