October 21, 2014 | 1270 users online

Loose Powders - NYX - HD Studio Finishing Powder

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by MES

I have been curious about HD/silica powder for a while but couldn't justify shelling out of MUFE. Saw this at Walgreens on a makeup run and decided to give it a try as the loose powder I have been using for 15 years was discontinued. I paid like $10 for the jar which is certainly cheaper than MUFE, but more per an ounce than my old powder.

Having dry skin I generally stay away from anything with a matte finish but I have to say I am really liking this. It wears a lot better than my old powder (L'oreal Translucide), and is very, very finely milled. I've always been a loose powder kind of girl, but I have only used two others my entire life so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Yes this has a bit of a matte finish, but its not harsh or chalky looking.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 1:21:00 PM More reviews by mehevans

Don't let the white color turn you off, this product is AMAZING. It mattifies just the right amount and gives your face a very airbrushed look. Very finely milled and looks and feels like a product that should've cost $30+. My only complaint is that the packaging, while very chic, can be annoying. The holes in the sifter are way too large for such a finely milled product, so you either end up with way too much or way too little, and when you try to tap it back down it creates a cloud of powder. The product itself however, is fantastic and a staple for anyone's makeup routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by slhill45

This is a fabulous finishing powder that is less than a third of the price of a high end HD powder I formerly used. It appears to be exactly the same product as my former fave I purchased at Sephora. $10 vs. $30+? I will take it! Finishes and sets makeup beautifully. I use the white one (translucent) but have no issues with a white cast; it actually give a matte, lovely glow . Ladies give it a whirl - I don't think you will be disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Gantz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-Light
-Leaves a soft finish
-Matte but not "cakey"
-Stays matte for hours
-Affordable

Cons:
-Can accentuate dryness
-Leaves a white cast in photos

Overall:
I bought this at Target for $5 which is very reasonable in my opinion. In the past I had tried Make Up Forever's HD Microfinish Powder, but I just think that $30 for silica powder is way too much. I mean the ingredients in this powder are exactly the same. Both powders have the same feel, they also give the same look. When I use this to set my foundation, my foundation doesn't feel sticky or greasy for most of the day. This powder leaves a matte finish, on my skin it looks glowy, beautiful and never "cakey". This powder lasts most of the day on my skin, I do have to blot my T-zone after a few hours though. I have to be careful when using this, because I have dry skin. I have to use a very light hand and sometimes I have to completely avoid my dry areas or the results are not good. I don't use this powder everyday though, because I don't like a matte finish all of the time. My skin has never had a reaction to this powder, which is another pro. Silica powders do leave a white cast in pictures, but that's fine because I can simply not wear this when I know I'll be photographed. I will definitely repurchase this powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 1:48:00 PM More reviews by nikkchikk

LOVE it. Love it alone, over BB cream, or over a full face of makeup. Next to mascara, I can't live without this!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Erinmh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I just recently got this product and I've only used it a couple times but I am in love. This powder is amazing. I have been on the hunt for my HG setting powder and I think I've found it! It is so finely milled, it makes the skin appear flawless. It does leave a white cast in photos though, which is why I took off a star. I have a pretty oily t-zone and this powder keeps the oil at bay a lot longer and better than any other product I've used. I touched up once through the day which wasn't a big deal. This powder also doesn't make my face appear cakey which is a huge bonus. I definitely recommend!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by rainberry32

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is amazing. It makes my face look matte and polished. It really helps your face to look non-cakey and that's what I need. It's a very good price for it's value.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by missymarissa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love! This is just perfect to finish your face with. I especially love how it seals in lipstick and brightens face without looking like Casper :-). I like the packaging much better than its competitors and find that this works every bit as well as the higher-end versions. I wish it came with more product because it doesn't look like there's much in there when you first buy it but I am finding that it doesn't take much and you don't want to use a lot anyways. My new staple!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by lovelyisntlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a sad story about this one. First two days I wore this, I was amazed. I had never seen my skin look so good, glowy, MATTE..perfection. I noticed two cystic acne flare ups and figured it might be due to something else. The third day, I had about 5 cycstic acne spots on my face. I stopped using it, and two days later my face cleared up, so I knew it was because of this. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to silica, or maybe a cheap filler?! It took a week to get my face healed. I have sensitive/acne prone skin, but it only reacts to products. there's always a reason. Anyone else experience this??

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2013 12:34:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I had been looking for a good finishing powder for quite some time when I saw this at my local Target for only $10. I looked at the ingredients, 100% silica, same as many much more expensive powders like Make Up Forever. I decided to give it a try, and I am quite glad I did. It does buff into my skin very well, and gives me a nice even matte finish. It also does seem to control shine for a pretty long time. The powder performs on par with it's more expensive counterparts. Unfortunately, there are some things I don't like about this powder, it does tend to cling to dry skin. Even patches of dry skin that I didn't even know were there. And the packaging is just horrible. The sifter has giant holes, and many of them. This powder is so finely milled that it just flies everywhere when opened unless I am very careful with it. Due to the packaging I don't think I could ever travel with this stuff. However, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and I think I will repurchase when I run out.