NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

4.3

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 5/27/2014 1:08:00 PM

It's a really nice product, although I have a few caveats. Silica powders are so dry to the touch they feel odd and since they have so little moisture, they tend to fly around everywhere much more than regular loose powders. This is the micro-pulverized version of the stuff in the Do Not Eat This Packet that comes in your vitamins. That said, it doesn't feel dehydrating unless I put on too much.

Like others have said, you have to make sure you buff it off or you will have weird white powder residue in places. If you buff it, though, you get a really lovely almost airbrushed finish that lasts for hours. It has zero coverage, which I prefer, but if you're a coverage powder person, this might not be for you.

Because of the unusual texture, color doesn't like to stick to it, so if you're a blush after powder person, you'll need to change that.

Regardless of the few issues, it's a really pretty soft-focus finish that is completely invisible unless you pile it on and works really well on oilier summer-time skin. It's one of the few things that keeps me from having to blot and powder every hour. Most recently I've been using it over L'Oreal Liquid Powder foundation because I don't like a foundation-y look, but I've used it over regular liquids and it's been fine with those, as well.

It's basically the same as Too Faced Primed and Poreless Pwder and MUFE HD powder. Too Faced, which I used for years until I found NYX, has a tiny bit of color, but feels and acts exactly the same. The MUFE is identical in color and in texture to me, but I've only tried a few days worth. They're all silica powders, but the NYX is about $11.00 at CVS and $9.99 at Ulta, so not expensive. ULTA was having a BOGO50%off (or they were on Saturday), so that's helpful.

on 5/25/2014 4:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Literally the only powder I've tried that actually keeps my oily skin at bay; it feels nice and smooth on the skin, lasts forever and keeps my t-zone shine free all day. The packaging is a little bit of a hassle but nothing too bad, it's worth it for keeping me matte all day. My new favorite powder.

on 5/17/2014 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to like this and I used it many times hoping that a lightbulb would go off and it would become my hg. But, it wasn't meant to be, yet. I'm fair skinned and this cast a white hue on my face and cancelled out any color. It set my makeup beautifully but within an hour, I could barely tell I had put any on.

on 5/15/2014 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Amazing. Stops oil and creases. My skin always feels really soft and smooth like porcelain when I use. Just be careful not to use too much and REALLY get the loose bits off with your brush

on 5/13/2014 9:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I loved this until I went to my cousin's wedding and looked like I had used white-out under my eyes in flash photos! And I have very fair skin. IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WON't have your picture taken, this does a great job of keeping your concealer from settling into fine lines. I showed a picture of me w this on to the SA a sephora whilst searching for new powder and she was shocked! I read reviews prior to purchase and noticed a few people saying it caused a white cast in photos and I thought I'd be fine because I'm so pale, but I was mistaken. Also, this loose powder goes everywhere, it's MUCH worse than my loose mineral foundation. I hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I did.
**update**
I do still use this when I'm absolutely sure I won't have my picture taken as it's a little smoother than my everyday concealer setting powder, cornstarch. If I *barely* dip the brush in the powder and then tap it into the lid and swirl the brush around, I get less powder going all over the place.
I couldn't believe it when I was reading allure a few months back when they showed that picture of Angelina Jolie w/ "cocaine face" white powder blotches, and they actually recommended this powder as a way to avoid the problem!!!! Idiots.

on 5/8/2014 5:38:00 PM

Itchy..caused clogged pores
wish it worked out :(

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this powder, only comes in 2 shades, but it works for me. Its smooth and feels light and smooth. Im not very oily generally so I cant say if it helps aith that, but it certainly seta my fou sation really well. Overall, this is my favorite setting powder, next to nyxs radiant powder.

on 5/3/2014 9:29:00 PM

This product is SO wonderful. I have horribly oily skin and found my foundation (primed and set with powder) was falling off my face within hours of application. I was oil blotting by 10AM and was so dissatisfied at all the wasted money/product that I would need to reapply by mid-afternoon. After purchasing this 2 weeks ago I can confidently say that I have not had a breakout since introducing this and my oil production has drastically declined. If you have oily skin please give this a try. I will not go a day without this now that I have seen the light. ;)

Omg I can't say enough how awesome of a finishing powder this is. It made my skin look flawless and soooo smooth. I used this with the NYX Dewy finish spray and my makeup stayed in place all night. Before I used the Tarte amazon clay finishing powder and I love this so much more.

on 4/22/2014 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a wonderful finishing powder! Makes me look practically poreless when used on top of my foundation/BB cream. I use it everyday, even if it's just on top of my acne medicine or moisturizer or sunscreen. Keeps me much less oily than I'd normally get (also depends on what I have on underneath it). It does not break me out YAY! The packaging, however, isn't great. The holes that the powder sifts through are too big so a lot of product comes out, and there is not a twist-and-lock mechanism like BareMinerals powder foundation, so it's definitely not travel friendly unless you can keep it upright the entire time. Other than that, it's wonderful! Highly recommend!

Recommended for Normal Skin