NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder

silica, polymethyl methacrylate, dimethicone, lauroyl lysine, trimethylsiloxysilicate, glycerin, magnesium silicate, ethylhexylglycerin, tocopheryl acetate, chlorphenesin, polysilicone-2, maris aqua (sea water), aqua (water), barium sulfate, algae (algae extract), phenoxyethanol, alumina, potassium sorbate, citric acid, mica, cl 77891 (titanium dioxide), cl 77491 (iron oxides), cl 77492 (iron oxides)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've written a glowing review for this same powder in the pressed form. I don't know what posessed me to buy the loose version when the other one worked so well for me. I feel that this powder leaves a bit of a white cast on my skin and the packaging is just so messy! I end up with powder dust all over my blouse and makeup bag every time I use this. It does give my skin a luminous, non-sparkly finish and keeps the shine at bay though. But next time I repurchase, it will be in the pressed form again!

on 9/25/2014 4:26:00 AM

I really wanted to like this powder but unfortunately it wreaks havoc on my skin by sucking all the moisture out of it. After application my face always felt smooth yet gritty at the same time. At night after cleansing my skin would be drier than usual. I tried using heavier moisturisers underneath but it made no difference. This week I used it for 3 days in a row and finally woke up with eczema on my cheeks on the 4th day. I didn't use it yesterday (went back to trusty LM translucent) and my skin is now back to normal. It also didn't have any 'blurring effect' on me. Needless to say I won't be using this again.

Pros: Sets to an invisible finish, superb oil control, nice compact packaging.

on 9/20/2014 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Previously I was using MAC's prep+prime translucent setting powder, but it was giving me a white cast in photos and drying out my skin.

This powder is pretty sweet, I have oily combination skin and it def keeps my face in check until around mid day. I usually touch up with blotting sheets.

It goes on without the white cast, makes my makeup look soft & natural. I don't notice the "light reflecting particles" at all, but I do notice a difference if I use a different powder. My makeup does not set for as long, or look as fresh.

For an extra kick I like to layer the Hourglass ambient powder on top of my setting powder :)

on 9/17/2014 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

At 34 I have a pretty good understanding of what works for me and what doesn't. I've been a devotee of loose powder almost a long as I have been wearing makeup. I have dry skin so I use powder to set my makeup, more than say absorb oil or mattify my face. For years I used L'Oreals Translucide which was my HG powder, sadly it got discontinued. L'Oreals Translucide in Translucent did have just the faintest hint of color, whereas this is white. The trick to this is applying just enough to give the face a light undetectable dusting, then blending. Otherwise it can possibly give a very obvious white cast in photos. I do absolutely love the finish on this, it's very soft and natural looking and does not emphasize dryness.

on 9/15/2014 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I do not like this powder AT ALL! First, it left my face with the most awful white cast in photographs. Even though I looked normal in person, I looked ghastly pale, like a ghost, in all the photographs I took while wearing this!

I also did not think that the small flecks of iridescent shimmer in this were subtle, they were quite obvious to me. I could actually see little iridescent flecks on my face.

Also, the powder is very drying, it left me with some dry, flaky patches. The texture is very chalky. I also tried the pressed version and I did not like that either.

As far as HD/silica powders go, I had much better luck with MUFE HD and By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra Powders. These powders give the soft, glowing, airbrushed look that I was aiming for, and look good with flash-photography.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite powder ever!! if you are a fan of the not-totally-matte-skin look, this powder is fantastic for you!! i have the pressed version that i use over the NARS sheer glow foundation and the combination of the two give my skin a beautiful dewy glow that stays consistent pretty much all day. like i never touch it up, so realistically i am maybe starting to get beyond dewy into a little shiny territory by the very end of the day, but not anything bad at all and i'm talking like 10-11 hours after application with no touch-ups! i mean, i think this wouldnt be for you if you are trying to go for a completely matte look or if you get really really oily, but if youre into being super glowy you should definitely try this powder!! i think it really helps with the staying power of my foundation too, it for sure lives up to its name in terms of being a setting powder. this powder is the best, i have zero complaints!!

on 8/29/2014 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I use this to set my makeup and I have dry skin. It works to prevent creasing under my eyes and to provide a soft focus effect on my face. It doesn't really mattify the face or control oil, so you won't like this if you're really oily. Also this will cause flashback in photos. But for everyday it's a great setting powder for dry to normal skin!

on 8/28/2014 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I get that this product is supposed to keep my face nice and matte but really it's not anything special and doesn't do anything that another powder can't. I like my powders to have a bit of coverage so I don't find myself reaching for this very often as it's translucent. I suppose it could be more useful in warmer climates when I'd be more prone to sweating and oily face. It's good for setting undereye concealer too. I think it pairs well with Nars tinted moisturizer which can get a bit oily on my face at times. I don't recommend this if you have powder in your collection already.

on 8/18/2014 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I loved this powder initially: it gave my skin a really smooth, flawless finish; it set my foundation really without ever looking powder, dry or matte; it was was super lightweight and optically invisible on my skin. It is indeed a fantastic finishing powder as it really does perfect the look of your skin. So why don't I love it? There are a couple of two reasons why I won't be repurchasing it:

1. After using it daily for months, I noticed it made my skin very oily yet dehydrated. What started off as a beautiful finish would turn into something quite ugly as the day progressed. The initial effect doesn't last at all. My face gets really greasy within a few hours of appication and the grease sort of sits on top of my skin, which has become dry underneath the powder. Not pretty.

2. It's not a great setting powder. As I said above, it doesn't control oil and nor does it pro long the wear of my foundation. My skin becomes oily faster than it would without the powder and my foundation doesn't last at all.

on 7/20/2014 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This powder made my skin dried up! Not only that pores appeared so bad. Feels like I was putting corn starch on my face. I don't recommend if you have dry skin.

Recommended for Normal Skin