Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I was a bit skeptical about buying this palette. As I have the other Naked palettes and thought after buying the others what does this palette offer that I have not already got... Well I was glad I did buy it! as now I go for this one before any of the other palettes! The finish on these shadows are amazing! Smooth, flawless and highly pigmented! You have 2 base colours which are great if you want a natural flawless look. A highlighter for under your brows. Then 2 Browns, 1 light brown great for day, a dark brown great for night. And a black which I use for a liner! The only thing i must add is they don't seem to last throughout the day. If applied in the morning you would have to re apply in the evening if your going out. But on saying that I cannot fault it and I love them! I have bought these for a friend for xmas as well! They are all matte apart from the highlighter so a different look completely compared to the other nakeds.

on 12/29/2014 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I was a pretty let down by this pallet. I know that UD shadow formulations are very loved in the the beauty world, however, I felt that there are many single shadows that could preform better then these shadows in terms of quality and pigment.

Eye primer used: Saphora Collection 24 hour Glitter Glue or MAC Pro Longwear Concealer

Packaging:

One thing I did truly enjoy this pallets packaging. The pallet is sleek and compact and feels very nice in texture, similar in feel to that of the NARS blushes packaging. The addition of the mirror is great and the size is perfect for up close touch ups on eyes/eye brows. The size of each pan is very generous,even the shadow I have used almost everyday for the last 4 months barely has a dent in it.

Color/Tone:

Venus - Shimmery cream colored white. Fairly warmed toned. I find the shimmer in this somewhat chunky. I would have preferred this to a warm metallic finish. The color is very sheer and even with the addition of a primmer did not show up very well. I did not like this for a brow bone/inner core highlight as the it was far to white.

Foxy & W.O.S - Both shades are matte, one is a more neutral tone beige while the other is a more yellow toned beige. Think the difference of color between MAC's paint pots in “Painterly” and “Soft Ochre”. I am putting these two together as I had a similar experience with both shades. Both had very little pigmentation and were very chalky. Very dry formula. When used as both lid and transition colors, both shades barely showed up even when heavily packed on.

Naked 2: A cool toned light brown. Favorite color in the pallet by far! This shade is much softer then the other matte's and has a fairly good pigmentation. You can certainly build this up to a deeper color. This is my go to crease shade in the pallet. This shades staying powder was better then the both Foxy & W.O.S

Faint: A dark warm matte brown. I found that this shade was not very bendable in the crease. I did try to use this as a liner but I found it to be a little off in color in terms of a brown liner as it is a little too warm. However, I have gotten SO MUCH use out of this as brow powder. I have very warm dark brown hair and this is the perfect color for me in the brows. Not to warm toned for the job, I use this shade everyday in my brows and it lasts all day.

Crave: A basic straight up matte black. I find this is not pigmented enough for a liner shade and is very difficult to blend out on the lid and in the crease. The only uses I have had for the this is setting liquid and gel liner and occasionally darkening up my brows when going for a more dramatic look.

Lasting Power:

With the exception of the Faint, Naked 2 and Crave, the other half the shades in this pallets perform very poorly in terms of staying powder as they tend to wear off very quickly even with the addition of a eye primer. Pigmentation in these shades was also very lacking.

Would I buy again?

No I would not buy this again. I while I have found use for 3 of the 6 shades, I do not feel this was worth the 36 dollars Canadian. I to replace my daily use of the shades Naked 2 and Faint, I will instead use MAC's "Espresso" (Crave) and "Wedge" or "Omega" (Naked 2).

on 12/29/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
good for every day
nice neutral, matte shades
Giant mirror is very convenient
Lightweight case

Cons:
Expensive for only a few colors
Some shades are too light for fair skin

Personally, i love this and i might buy one again or the newer naked 2 basics

on 12/25/2014 9:30:00 PM

I like this product a lot. I use it almost every day. It had nurturel colors in it. And Venus I use the most. I like this product

on 12/23/2014 8:28:00 AM

This is a superb eye shadow palette for every day. I love the fact that all of the shadows are matte (shimmery shadows can be too much for me, especially during the daytime) and that three of the six shadows are very light - because my eyes are deep-set and small, I always use a pale shadow as an allover base on the lids from the lash line to the brows to "open up" my eyes. Whenever I buy a palette, the pale neutral shade is always the first one to be used up. The six shades are Venus, a soft off-white; Foxy, a yellow-based ivory, W.O.S. (Walk of Shame), a pinky-based pale beige, Naked2, a medium taupe, Faint, a medium warm brown, and Crave, a very dark almost black shade to use as a liner.

on 12/18/2014 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love this palette. I use it almost everyday and usually combine it with shades from the Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette. The shades work beautifully to enhance but not overpower the natural beauty of any eye color. It's a must!

on 12/18/2014 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the best matte eyeshadow palette I own. Its very compact so it's great for travel and it has all the colors I need for an everyday look. If you want some good matte eyeshadows and don't want to splurge on this sonia kashuke matte eyeshadow palette is amazing as well.

on 12/9/2014 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I own UD Basics 1 & 2, & Nakeds3; they are all truly awesome!! For the price of USD$29 getting 6 very finely milled beautiful shadows is a bargain!! I am working on getting Nakeds 1 & 2 & Nakeds On The Run, maybe Santa this year or else if not imma def buy them for myself!! I love making smoked out eyes w Basics1, the dark black color is lovely for using over eyeliner to make it extra smokey & all of the shades coordinate together so nicely! The texture is to die for, buttery soft & long lasting, easy to blend. I bought 3 different dupes (2 of which being from Coastal Scents & the other a no name 1 from kmart) & tbh I never use them, the money would have been better spent putting towards another UD palette. Don't get the dupes, they aren't the same. You may be able to get similar looks w the dupes (coz any1 who is really skilled/talented w makeup can make dollar store items look decent!), but to me they just aren't the same. There is just something luxurious & special about Nakeds in general, I am addicted!! I find myself reaching for the UD palettes most often. I am a hard core devotée!! You can do just about anything w them from light eye to smoked all out & looks the best paired w a nude lip color to my eye, but u can also pull off a brick red or something like MAC Brave/Velvet Teddy/Satin Taupe. I've also paired it w Barbie pink for good results, so I think whatever lip color you are most comfortable in u can rock Basics1 with it. Conservative enough for school/office but can be so smoked out for going out to a club/concert/party/soirée. You can dress if up or down as much as u want! I wish they had put a little slot w a brush in there, that's about my only complaint! I love me some UD!!

on 11/28/2014 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this palette for travel because its light-weight, compact and has the basic neutrals for an everyday look and a matte black which I use for liner. The shadows are smooth and very pigmented, similar to the larger naked palettes. I usually apply 'naked2' on the lid, 'faint' in the crease, and 'venus' as an inner corner highlight. My only dislike with the product is that I wish they included a tan, or mid-tone brown colour because 'naked2' and 'w.o.s' look very similar on my skintone.

on 11/26/2014 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is my go-to palette for day-to-day eyeshadow. Most days I do not wear eyeliner, but I love this palette. It can work for day or night. The shadows in it are: Venus, described as an "off-white demi-matte (read, slightly pearlescent), Foxy, a light yellow matte, Walk of Shame, a pinky-nude matte, Naked2, a taupe matte, Faint, a brown matte, and Crave, a dark brown/black matte. All of the shadows are very finely milled, and highly pigmented. They swatch smooth and creamy and apply the same way. They make blending a breeze. Of all of the shadows, my favorite is Venus. I use it as a brow and tear duct highlight with almost every eye look I do.

Popular Palettes

Contour Kit
NAKED
PRO Palette
NAKED3

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products