Paula's Choice RESIST BHA 9 Treatment

3.5

Not tested on animals

Propylene Glycol (solvent/penetration enhancer), PEG-75, PEG-8 (thickeners), Water, Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (antioxidant plant extract), Sea Whip Extract, Arginine (amino acid/skin-conditioning agent), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Love this product!! I had a huge, solid, deep cyst on my jawline that had been sitting there for literally weeks, I've used this twice, overnight, as the last step in my routine and already it's much, much smaller - literally halved in size.

Also used in on some new and older spots and the newer spots are literally vanishing. The older marks look a little better, after a couple of applications so I'm looking forward to the long-term results. However, I think the best use for this is for new spots, especially deep ones

The issue with this product is that the consistency (runny) is totally at odds with the way it's supposed to be use (as a spot treatment) It feels like an oil and one pump will give you quite a lot which will run down your fingers...it's too liquid to apply with a cotton bud unfortunately as it just gets absorbed. Would be really amazing if they'd formulate it a little thicker. In the meantime I try to do tiny little pump on each individual spot

My dry, sensitive skin had no issues tolerating this, which is good

on 1/20/2014 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I have some hardened pimple residue that remains under the skin and manual extraction can break blood vessels, which for me can be permanent. This stuff softens and draws junk to the surface. Absolutely worth a try if you are looking for a dense source of salicylic acid.

on 1/19/2014 10:02:00 AM

This product is on the expensive side for PC, and the pump leaves a lot to be desired. There is no way to control the amount that comes out . Yes, it stays sticky but is supposed to be used only AT NIGHT as a spot treatment. But I will continue to buy this because it works . I haven't noticed any changes in my fine lines, but I have been using it for about three months and my two dark spots (from sun damage) have faded significantly as well as the skin colored bumps that pop up all over my face and usually take a month or more to go away. This product also works on new breakouts, they are usually gone by morning ! I highly recommend this product .

on 1/17/2014 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a key player in my skin care regime. I use mostly Paula's products since I know what I am getting, the price is very reasonable and THEY WORK. This is a product that will intensely clean out your pores since BHA's exfoliate inside the pores (AHA's exfoliate the surface). I use a 2% BHA twice a day as a base before my serum/moisturizer and use the 9% strength on spots such as milia that develop under my eyes and pores that are inclined to get clogged around my nose and chin. I do this about every 10-12 days. Sometimes I use it all over my cheeks. It does an amazing job of clarifying the skin which is noticeable the next morning (this should only be used in the evening). The container releases a set amount of the serum probably so you only use the proper amount. I totally believe that there are no better skin care products around and that means at any price. These ingredients are not so rare that they command exorbitant prices and you should not be continued to be fleeced by exotic claims from cosmetics companies. It took me a while to break away from that belief but seeing is believing and my skin looks terrific.

on 1/17/2014 8:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yes I was a sucker and bought this ridiculously overpriced product. It's a clear, sticky, gel with a thin consistency. No fragance. The container is tiny, and the pump squirts out an amount that is often more than I wanted, and then 1/2 of what squirted out dripped down the side. I applied to some areas of my face and body where I wanted extra exfoliation. I have oily/acneic/rosacea prone skin that does not shed on its own. This went on sticky and stayed sticky. I noticed less exfoliation than the PC 2% BHA, which made me question whether there really was 9% BHA in this stuff or if the formulation was reducing the exfoliative power of the BHA. It didn't break me out, irritate me, or do anything bad, but I also saw zero, zip, nada effect of any noticeable kind. I really like some of the PC products, but this was not one of them. For me, total waste of $$.

on 1/3/2014 10:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I am not sure about this. I have dry combo clogged skin. Went through a few samples on breakout spots. and it was great. It is gentle and in a heavy serum that feels like the retinol serum. It is sort of silky and dense. I find it gentle and it exfoliates, but can be tricky as the base can clog.

Many use it on their entire face. So, I tried it. It felt great, not drying and exfoliated, but I broke out a bit. They say it is just a spot treatment and I agree. I have had no problems on spot use. I see why people have mixed reactions to it. Maybe what makes it so gentle, can clog a bit.

Verdict: The tube is smaller than I expected and the pump is a little tricky. Tap very gently and let go for a dab. It is great for pimple busting, maybe the best ever, but it is crazy expensive. I will have to see how long this lasts, to decide if I will buy the full size again or use the sample tube size. I will always keep some form of it around for breakout emergencies though.

on 11/2/2013 6:00:00 AM

Bought this one last week. Since I got great results with PC's 15C booster I decided to try the retinol body smoothing cream and this one. I have only applied it once - and I have already joined the "I hate this pump" club! It is indeed irritating that you cant control the amount you get. I planned to use it only on my nose, chin and two spots on my cheek but since I got too much product out, I used it on my forehead as well. No stinging, burning or any reactions on spot. However, I takes a while to dry and it is quite shiny. I would not wear this under foundation. For night use, no problem. I did not wake up to a miracle, but I do think pores look smoother (but maybe this is from the 15C booster?) Oh well, I will apply it again tonight.
Update Nov 6: loving this so far.. I had previously used PC's BHA 2% gel, which I find very sticky. This is ten times better, but then it should be since it is sooo pricey.

on 10/27/2013 8:10:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

What a product!

I started with the sample size, focusing on a huge damaged pore in the middle of my nose that has been haunting me for a year. I noticed a slight improvement almost immediately. It's still there, but I'll keep applying this treatment and see how it goes.

The full size is CRAZY expensive, but was on sale this month so I took the plunge.
The packaging is annoying because you can;t control how much you pump out. It automatically dispenses TONS of product, which feels wasteful because it's so expensive. The texture is sticky and oily at the same time. It's a bit stingy and causes my skin to peel in little sheets, but acne is definitely improving and it's not flaring up my redness!

I'll keep using this with hope.

Edit: It hasn't cleared the persistent white bumps & blackheads on my chin or forehead, or the blackheads on my nose. I've been getting more large pimples around the sides of my face, jawline, and middle of my forehead than I used to. Could it be this is not working?

The hellpit pore on the middle of my nose is still there. Sometimes a bit of white stuff comes up and I can't help squeezing it away.

I am a regular user of Paula's choice exfoliants, but this product has done nothing! I have been using it regularly for 2 moths and I have not seen any results. I regret I bought it and I will go back to my Dermalogica.

on 9/30/2013 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I have been using Paula's Choice products for a bit now and I have absolutely loved what the RESIST line has done for my face but I had one problem area that wasn't improving....the sun damaged skin on my chest between my clavicles. The skin was discolored and rough and my products weren't working. I ordered a sample of the BHA 9 before making the $40 commitment to see if adding this would work. The morning after my first use I saw amazing improvement! The skin was soft and supple and the rough bumps were completely gone! The tone was also greatly improved. I thought there might be irritation because I applied it over the 5% AHA exfoliant, C15 Boost, and the Retinol moisturizer, but nope! Still no irritation after one week of nightly use. It is zapped a few zits that were coming up under the skin due to that time of the month and it's started to improve the tiny blackheads under my bottom lip I have had since I was 13 (I'm 40 now). Immediately ordered the full size. This product is perfect for me! I think it's just important to remember that there is no one perfect product for everyone. We're all different people so why wouldn't our skin be just as different. Definitely try the sample first and if it doesn't work or is irritating for you, don't order the full size. You'll know within a week if this product is worth it for you.