July 29, 2014 | 1943 users online

Concealers - Revlon - Age Defying with DNA Advantage Concealer

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by beautypiano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I got it in the shade Light/Medium, because I've read that that shade was kind of yellow, and thus good for canceling out dark blue shadows under your eyes, which is what I have. A little goes a really long way with this product--it comes with a small doe-foot applicator, and you only need about half of what's on the tip, for both eyes. Be careful not to layer it on too much--anything will look bad when it's over-applied. But this stuff works WONDERFULLY. My dark circles are genetic--I can't remember a time when I didn't have them. It's so amazing to look in the mirror and see clean, bright, lifted eyes! Ladies, if the circles under your eyes have a blue-ish look to them, get this product! I will most definitely be repurchasing when I run out! ^_^

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was using the Revlon Age Defying Concealer in a squeeze tube w/ spf25, but it was sadly d/c'd, and this is supposed to replace that, so I bought a tube to try. First mistake Revlon made was to use a Doe's foot applicator, 2nd was to ditch the spf. I HATE both doe's foot apps and those hideous foundation apps that force you to squeeze product thru a fillthy brush or sponge that you can never clean. BLECCCH!! Please let me use my clean fingers, and Revlon do you really think someone is going to apply w/ the applicator and NOT pat in w/ fingers???. You'd use app only, no fingers, if you want to look like a freshly spackled stucco wall. Also, I don't care how clean your skin is, you touch the applicator to your skin and then put it back in the container. Yuck. (I know the same can be said about mascara, but you really have no choice there, and I try to throw those away more frequently). OK, so onto the product. Almost as good coverage as the original squeeze tube formula, slightly less drying. I have very oily skin and lids, and the old squeeze tube formula was fine for me, but a lot of dry-skinned ladies complained, and in the dead of winter this IS better at smoothing out fine lines than the old formula. So, bottom line, I liked the old product better overall due to better pking and spf, but this is a slightly better formula due to its better skin smoothing properties but I hate the pkg. I'd only buy again if I couldn't find something better in a squeeze tube. 5/2014 UPDATE: I can't find this anywhere, so it seems to have been d/c'd. I review the new one w/ the pathetic sponge ball tip and pasty formula separately.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Daatch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Happy with this concealer. Good coverage I will buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 7:19:00 AM More reviews by caseyj123499

I find this product to be excellent! I cannot understand why this product has a lot of bad reviews. As i was reading comments the only way for the product to give you negative thoughts would be that your either not applying it properly, not in your shade or your applying way too much..

After 12 hours this concealer still stayed on my eye lids as well as my liquid foundation. I felt my eye lids and they are so moisturized and soft that it makes my eyes look alot more tighter and younger.

LOVE THIS!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:33:00 AM More reviews by lorwayk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Not a great concealer. It seemed very thick and dry. It was hard to blend. Definitely wasted my money on this one here...

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

The texture is liquidy, yet it ends up looking very thick and cakey. It's also really drying. It creases, and has light coverage so layering it only ends in more creasing. There are better concealers out there!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2012 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Delilabee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just wanted to warn people that this product, and other Revlon concealers I have checked, contains ARGIRELINE (Hexapeptide-8). This is a Botox-like muscle paralyzing peptide intended to limit new wrinkle formation by limiting the action of facial muscles.
IMHO this is not only unnecessary in the area under the eye that people apply concealer, but highly detrimental. If you look at dermatologist photos of Argireline being used under the eye you will see the wrinkles drop out - that is, they stretch flat under gravity. The very last thing I want is extra saggy under-eyes, thank you very much!!! Give me the wrinkles over that any day!
It's a real shame because some Revlon concealers are just great, like their Age Defying Moisturizing Concealer, but that too contains the dreaded Argireline! A catastrophic formulation mistake by Revlon in an otherwise excellent product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 8:37:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

I picked this up because I had a $5 coupon and am always looking for the best concealer.Not sure why the reviews are so low - I really liked it! I bought Medium Light. As I get older, I don't want anything thick, and this leaves a nice wash of color without getting tacky or clumpy. It did not slide off during the day or settle into any lines. It lasted very well with a thin layer of powder over it and never looked noticeable, but did a nice job covering dark circles and random red spots.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased the lightest shade available in 'Light' and I personally find it slightly to dark for my complexion. For reference I wear MAC NC15 or Matchmaster 1, Revlon Buff, Bourjois 51, Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Ivory Rose, and NARS Deauville. The colour is very yellow toned with a thick yet silky texture and provides sheer to light coverage. The real deal breaker for me is this creases horribly and gets really cakey looking when built up for extra coverage. Applied to blemishes or reddened area I find this product seems to melt and slide everywhere, even when set with powder. Overall a total waste of money and a product I wouldn't recommend considering there are other newer concealers in the drugstore that out perform this one.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by confooseddesi608

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I do NOT recommend this product.

This is going to be a long review, so skip down to the end to "Pros" and "Cons" to get the summary.

Cost: This is a drugstore concealer; I bought it for $10.99 USD at Walgreens in downstate NY, but it may be slightly higher or lower depending on where you live. It's a bit high for a drugstore concealer, but you get quite a bit of product, 0.18 oz or 5.3 ml (it seems like very little, but there are many concealers which give you a lot less product for price). So the price isn't bad, but I think it shouldn't be more than 8 bucks, especially for the quality.

Packaging: The concealer comes in a red plastic box with the front missing to display the concealer tube and color. The product itself comes in a long, slim rectangular tube with a screw-on red cap and a doe-foot applicator. It looks very similar to Maybelline's FIT concealer, except with a red cap instead of a black one. I hate this packaging; it's not very sanitary and it is impossible to get every last bit of concealer out, though it is quite compact.

Texture: This is liquidy and not very viscous, but somewhat drying with a matte finish. IMO matte is not appropriate for for an "age-defying" product. It's not very opaque and has the consistency of a thick foundation.

Coverage: Coverage is buildable, from light to moderate. It would be very difficult to get high coverage from this, but I think this is intended primarily for undereyes. If you want higher coverage you're really going to have to invest in a good concealer brush; your finger will NOT cut it and will just sheer it out. I suggest Bare Escentuals maximum coverage concealer brush; its retail price is high but you can get it for cheap on Ebay (it is amazing!); also, Essence of Beauty or EcoTools concealer brushes. Overall, though, it didn't really cover my intense purple undereye circles unless I built it up quite a bit, and then it caked and creased. I would suggest using it only if you have light to moderate circles.

Endurance: Here is where it fails. Abysmally. Firstly, upon applying, it doesn't blend well and looks cakey, even with the heat from using your finger. As much as you blend it out, it still looks a bit cakey. Then, after maybe 10 minutes, it settled into my lines under my eyes and perfectly highlighted each and every one! Not cool. (Though I am young, heredity has blessed me with deep undereye circles and fine lines since puberty.) It also was quite dry (not excessively so) and matte. So I pressed and blended out the "lines" to make it smoother, and soon the concealer had creeped back into the creases. I even tried using safflower oil to moisten the product up under my eye (this has worked for me in the past with other drying concealers to make them crease a bit less). No use, it still creased! (Even with good setting powder). I have put a picture up on the top of the page of my undereyes AFTER blending out the concealer a couple of times and waiting a short period.

Effectiveness: Revlon claims this for its "DNA Advantage" line: "Revlon Age Defying with DNA Advantage Cream Makeup combines makeup + powerful anti-aging skincare to help protect skin's DNA to fight the signs of aging."
I don't buy it. Not one bit. It's all marketing and hype. What clinical studies do they have showing that it helped to reverse or prevent the aging process? I'd like to see them. Though, I'm only 23, and I just applied the product an hour ago, so what do I know?

Shades: This concealer comes in four shades: Light, Light Medium, Medium, and Medium Deep. I picked up Medium Deep; this matched my skin almost perfectly (just a tad lighter) and thus, I was lucky. But there are only four colors, and you will also have to be lucky to get a match! Also, their shade selection for ladies of "color" is really bad. Medium Deep is the darkest. By the way, I am NC40-42 in MAC, Honey in BB concealer, and between Medium and Deep Honey in Clinique concealer.

Availability: You can pick this up in almost any drugstore, though this is fairly new and you may have to wait some time. I picked mine up in Walgreens; I know some CVS's carry it, and so should Rite Aid & Target (and other drugstores and discount stores). Though many may not carry some shades (specifically the darkest shade, Medium Deep! It wasn't in one CVS I looked in.It's always the darkest shades they choose not to carry >:O)

Revlon's product description:
Concealer + powerful anti-aging skincare targets:
-Undereye puffiness
-Dark circles
-Fine lines and wrinkles
More Info:
-Targets undereye puffiness, dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles
-Won’t settle into skin creases
-Hydrates and brightens for a revitalized look
-Use with Cream Makeup for the ultimate protection against the signs of aging.

Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Boron Nitride, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Phenyltrimethicone, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Bis PEG/PPG 14/14 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Tribehenin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Tocopheryl Acetate, Niancinamide, Malpighia Glabra (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Phytophingosine, Cholesterol, Acetyl Hexapeptide 8, Alumina, Silica, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Trisiloxane, Polyisobutene, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Bis Isobutyl PPG 20 Crosspolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol Caprylyl Glycol, 1, 2 Hexanediol, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

PROS AND CONS

Pros:
Very easy to find
Buildable coverage
Affordable
Slim, compact packaging
Shade selection is okay and some people may find their shade

Cons:
Somewhat expensive for drugstore
Drying (matte finish--this may be a pro for you!)
Settles into lines, creases
Difficult to blend
Need concealer brush to build coverage
Not many shades