Chanel Coco Noir

3.8

The title "Noir" is entirely appropriate: The fragrance has ingredients you will find in Noir scents. It is also about as "Noir" as today's woman wants to get. You have to look at ANY fragrance in perspective, considering the tastes of the time. We are also a global market more than ever, and perfume houses take that into consideration. I love that there is a very large size shower gel and body lotion for Coco Noir now, an excellent value for the money, and they have a beautiful smell. So let your imagination carry you away and allow yourself to luxuriate in this creation that has a very inspiration back-story!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Once again from the house of Chanel... a winner. My mother and I were introduced to Coco Noir while visiting the Chanel counter of Nordstrom. The lovely SA told us it was new. It blew us both away immediately. Now, I am already the owner of Chance and Coco Mad - both of which I adore. CN, however, MUST soon be added to my collection. I don't think I can live without it. (Fellow perfume addicts -you'll understand what I mean!)

Coco Noir is strong, bold, and sexy. Yet at the same time, universally flattering and unobtrusive. She definitely has a nighttime mood to her but the right person could pull her off during the day. The projection is strong, but, like I said, unobtrusive because despite her strength, there is a delicateness about her - my mother walked in and out of my room and left behind her a gorgeous trail of something I couldn't pinpoint (as I didn't know she'd applied her CN sample), but just smelled really, really freakin good.

I could see CN being a perfume for every age of woman from her 20s on up. Different from Chanel's other offerings, and a must have for me. Yum.

I love the original Coco, a warm, spicy Oriental, so I thought that I'd probably love this too. I like it, but I don't love it. It doesn't remind me of the original at all - it's a pretty floral, nice but not particularly unique or noteworthy.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Perfume reviews are difficult, because it all depends on a person's body chemistry. Even the most expensive perfume can make someone smell like a pig in mud. With that being said, I absolutely adore this perfume! It works so well with my chemistry, and dries down to a sweet musk. The only problem is that it isn't as strong as Chanel Coco, nor does it last as long. And considering the price, I would like to get my money's worth.

Edited to add: Noir is not the right name for this. So definitely give this a chance of you're put off by strong, musky scents that usually go with this label. It's sweeter than any other noir I've tried, and it's soft enough to wear during the day too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

If the original Coco and Coco Mademoiselle had a baby it would be Coco Noir. The original Coco is my signature fragrance and I also like Mademoiselle for a nice patchouli punch from time to time. Coco Noir is such a tease as you think of Coco but then perhaps the house of Chanel decided to make it more intense? Heavier on the jasmine or labdanum or , hope of all hopes, the leather note? Alas ... no! *sobs* Just Coco Mad in the opening and mid and then a slightly fruity original Coco in the base. Arg. Coco Noir is nice, I will give it that, but it's not Noir to me. Noir says "Danger ahead!" in a mysterious way. Coco Noir has no danger. Chanel went the , sadly, safe route with the fruity notes. The black bottle is gorgeous (!!!) and I would buy a bottle just to look at for my collection as it is very noticeable right away. Will stick with the original.

I don't get the shade surrounding this fragrance, it's amazing! Chanel is the best fragrance house simply for the fact that they each compliment each other while standing on their own. This recent addition has the floral citrusy-ness of Mademoiselle, coupled with the ambery sweetness of Coco, yet it stands apart from them. Classed as a night fragrance, I would say it is a lighter version of Coco but still long lasting. The base of sandalwood and vanilla really shine, and are complimented beautifully by bergamot and the florally mid notes (jasmine and rose.) It is wonderfully balanced, beautifully crafted and is truly one of the top fragrances of the year. Also, the bottle is so chic I can't deal. A true star.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love Coco Noir. I also own original Coco in EDP & EDT & lotion -- plus Coco Mademoiselle in EDP & EDT & lotion -- plus all 3 Chances in EDT. In my humble opinion, Coco Noir is not like the black spicy original Coco -- or Coco Mademoiselle either.

I have trouble with Coco Mademoiselle's screechy, sharp mandarin orange blast -- I seldom wear it because its orange-spice pungency distracts & annoys me. It's just too orange-peppery-spicy for me. Chance EDT is too spicy for me also.

Coco Noir is smoother, mellower, and more wearable (for me) than either Coco Mademoiselle EDP or EDT. It's a more well-behaved, toned-down, sophisticated, mature and elegant scent than loud, brashy Coco Mademoiselle, in my opinion. In fact, it might have been better to give it a different name altogether -- in order to avoid the inevitable comparisions.

There's a small bit of fruit note on top, but when it dries down, I'd place it in the category of Guerlain Samsara, Gucci Guilty Intense, EL Sensuous Noir, or Elizabeth & James Nirvana Black.

It dries down (to my nose) to a soft, sensuous sandalwood-incense-musk perfume, with only a hint of fruitiness. Only the tiniest spray is required, as it's strong - a small bottle will last a long time. The opaque black bottle makes it hard to tell how much you have left.

Launched in 2012, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Grapefruit, Orange
Heart Notes - Geranium, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes - Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, White musk

Mostly a sandalwood + incense + white musk, to my nose.

Coco Noir is sensuous, elegant, understated, subtle, high-quality. It just has an mmmmmm quality about it -- but it's strong -- use just a *tiny* bit, and it will last and last in a subtle gorgeous way.

ADDENDUM 1/12/15: I watched the Golden Globes last night and could imagine Coco Noir being worn by sophisticated raven-haired women like Amal Clooney (George's wife) or Catherine Zeta-Jones. The scent is dark, sensuous, quietly confident, & high-class.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i have mixed feelings about this one. I love original Cco but too heavy to wear all the time. so this is a good compromise. it goes on very heavy but he dry down is heavenly. Having said that it just smells like Coco diluted out. I sampled but not sure if I will buy a whole bottle. very rich and sophisticated. Nothing like Premiere which made me weak in the knees. the bottle is beautiful and I think one must wear it with business suits.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Editing this review to add that this has become my signature, along with Chanel No. 5 (I can't pick just one, both fit into the different facets of my personality).

This is just amazing! It has all my favorite notes... patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, rose, tonka bean, and bergamot. It's incredibly well-blended. My husband loves this and he says it smells like lavender. I fell head over heels in love with this fragrance as soon as it hit my wrists.

Everyone who knows me, knows that Coco Noir is my scent. It's sophisticated, elegant, modern, and incredibly alluring. Men love this perfume and I am constantly asked what I'm wearing by men when I have this on. It's sexy without being in your face and overpowering. It can work during the day because it is soft, but it would be the perfect date night or romantic evening perfume as well. There just isn't anything wrong with this perfume, it is incredibly versatile and works for almost any occasion. I would bathe in this if I could!

Coco Noir is my outward personality, it is what I convey to everyone I know: confident, sophisticated, and glamorous. Chanel No. 5 (my other signature), is my private personality, where I feel a bit more vulnerable, romantic, womanly, and whimsical.

For modern sensuality and elegance, I would wear Coco Noir.
For timeless romance and the ultimate femininity, I would chose Chanel No. 5.

hell no!
Coco is probably turning in her coffin from embarrasement for this one..
this is totaly lame, boring,fruity-patchouly combo not unlike Chanel Allure Sensuelle, but Sensuelle has some kind of aristocratic feeling to it, it definitely has the Chanel DNK,whereas this piece of c..p has zilch character,zilch feeling and nothing oriental whatsoever..
fruity concoction wrapped up in a beautiful bottle, isn't nearly worth the hype...
this to me is like someone tried to analyze connection between a reputational name such as Chanel, beautiful bottle and awful liquid...so, if this is popular, people just don't know what a good perfume is..(sorry this is my opinion)
I'm as objective as I can be!

horrid experience...

and, yeah, it is simillar to Coco, as Lagerfeld is to Brad Pitt...

Popular Fragrances