Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser

3.3

Water, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauryl Glucoside, Potassium Accylates Copolymer, PEG 120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance

on 7/31/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

While I wouldn't call this the holy grail of cleansers or a poor cleanser. It is a cleanser and it does the job right. It falls into the category of most cleansers, it works the way it should and gets the job done.

Why I didn't give it 5 stars? That's pretty easy. This is a cleanser marketed for sensitive skin, therefore I would not associate this to be as strongly scented as it is. The scent isn't bad in anyway, in fact it smells clean. But just know this is not unscented or evenly lightly scented. It doesn't bother me, but it might bother others and quite possibly could irritate their skin.

For people worried about this being drying and stripping all moisture from your face, just be aware this is a foaming cleanser. Foaming cleansers have a tendency to be on the drying side. I also think foaming cleansers clean better and the foam is able to pull the dirt out. This may not be the product for you if you are afraid of it drying out your skin.

If you have oily acne prone sensitive skin (but not sensitive to scented products) I suggest you give it a try. It is a great value and I found it on sale after coupons paying only $4 for a 12oz bottle. My skin does feel a bit dry if I just don't do anything with it after cleansing. But my face feels fine after my normal morning and night skincare routine which involves using toner, serum/oil, sunscreen and moisturizer.

on 7/13/2014 7:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

A very average cleanser. Able to remove about 80% of waterproof mascara. Leaves my combination skin very tight - a moisturizer is needed after. Less than stellar cleanser.

on 7/13/2014 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

[I wrote this after using the entire bottle]. I ran out of my current cleanser and needed something new. I like to try all the gentle, foaming drugstore cleansers, though I don't really know what I'm expecting since they never blow me away. Anyways, I was interested in this one, but after reading reviews here, I was steered away from it. It sounded quite drying. I ended up pulling the trigger on it though after seeing that Beautypedia listed it as BEST and I wanted to try something new, regardless of how it worked.

PROS: It's a 12oz bottle, so it will last a while. It also deep cleans the skin, removing sunscreen/makeup/etc. I always double cleanse; I don't see the point of having a separate special cleanser/remover which costs more per an oz. It leaves my skin neither stripped or really hydrated... like a normal skin formula.

CONS: If I quickly use and rinse it off, it leaves my skin feeling odd... like rubber. The only thing I can compare it to is Paula's Choice Skin Recovery cleanser (I hated that cleanser for multiple reasons though). I have read that these high glycerin cleansers need more time on the skin or more working to do their job. That sounds about right. It foams ok, doesnt' explode with bubbles or anything though.

OTHER: The fragrance! It feels like they didn't do their market research when they put THIS frgrance into a sensitive skin product. It smells like "[fragranced] clean". It's immediately noticable, it's strong, and it lingers in cleansing tools. Over time, I got used to it, but it really stuck out in the wrong way. The bottle claims it's hypoallergenic however. I recently learned about folded oils, which remove the volatile compounds in essential oils, and while they could have done that, there's no way we can tell.

OVERALL: I used it up and bought it again. The scent doesn't shock me so much now, and it's an ok cleanser. Works good with my Clarisonic, not really much different than what's available. Like I said, I don't relaly know how much you can expect from a drugstore, simple cleanser.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was looking for something similar to the acne.org facial cleanser that I love and this fits the bill. I took one lippy off because it's not fragrance free, fragrance in skin care products are useless and can cause irritation. This is a lot easier to get my hands on and cheaper than the acne.org cleanser that I have to order online and WAIT for. It's gentle, foams well, feels good on my skin and rinses off clean. It does not irritate my eyes when I use it to remove my mascara. I'm on my second bottle and that's saying a lot! I just want a simple facial cleanser with no fragrance or parabens that I can use nightly to remove makeup and in the morning to refresh. I have oily skin and use Retin-A cream for my breakouts. This cleanser has not caused any breakouts or dryness for me.

on 6/23/2014 6:44:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Not my favorite. I've been on the hunt for the perfect foaming cleanser; however, even though my skin is oily, this leaves my skin stripped. It DOES deep clean, but the formula is heavy, it takes a while to foam properly, and it seems like it takes years to rinse off, not to mention the overly lemony scent.

on 6/12/2014 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I don't know why I bought this. I know that foaming cleansers don't work for me. They leave me red and irritated and give me little bumps, but I thought this time it would be different, because it was suppose to be "Ultra Gentle." Well guess what? This didn't work for me. Now I went ahead and gave it three lippies, because compared to other foaming cleansers it was more gentle and it might work for someone who is really oily. However, if you have combination, normal or dry skin, I would stay away from this.

on 6/11/2014 11:11:00 PM

First off I have combination skin so I have an oily T-zone. This cleanser seems very harsh when compared to Cetaphil or CeraVe. If I use the smallest pump, it is less drying, but I still cannot tolerate this daily. I bought a double pack at Costco and will probably never finish it.

on 5/28/2014 3:38:00 PM

I have nearly gone through an entire big bottle of this and I cannot wait to repurchase. It is a basic no frills cleanser that gets the job done!
Super gentle on my often irritated skin and leaves it clean and soft. Not tight or dry.

Many people expect their facial cleansers to take their makeup off as well but in reality that should be a 2 step process. Take makeup off and then cleanse face and any makeup residue left behind.
So if you're expecting this cleanser to take your makeup off you will be disappointed, as it is too gentle for makeup but just perfect for skin.

on 5/3/2014 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been reading everybody's review on this product and it seems like those who experienced the "stripping/drying" effects are mostly people with dry skin already. This product isn't for dry skin, this is the version for people with more oily skin. (I did see a review from somebody with oily/acne skin who had an adverse reaction). If you have a skin type that you are trying to cater to, it is CRUCIAL that you read the labels to everything you use. This product works very well for me and comes in a larger size than most other gentle cleansers, but I do have oily skin. I also have very sensitive skin that needs TLC not harsh products. Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser is for more combo/oily types, Ultra Hydrating Cleanser is for normal/dry types. Also, I have learned in my 15+ year quest to calm my skin's reactions not to rely on the cleanser alone. I wear full-coverage foundations, made to last 8-12 hours. By virtue of the product, this will be hard to take off for any cleanser. I find this cleanser does a good job though. It's right up there with Purpose, but Purpose's bottle is smaller. I was attracted to more bang for my buck. It's not alone my cure-all, however. I still need moisturizer (yes, oily types still need to balance their oil, not banish it), and toner. Just remember to read product labels, use as directed, use what is formulated for you, THEN give your review. Don't mislead people away from a product because you didn't buy the correct product for you in the first place.

on 3/29/2014 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product has given me the worst acne I have experienced in a while. I am acne prone and I have oily and sensitive skin. I used this product for about a month. My skin has a continuance of a burning, tingling feeling, which I have never experienced from a cleanser before.

I have no idea who I would recommend this product to because it felt very drying, even with the oily skin that I have.

To take makeup completely off I sometimes had to wash my face twice.