September 17, 2014 | 1737 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Kristenhonto

HORRIBLE. This cleanser is anything but gentle. It made my already dry skin flake and my skin felt stripped every time I used this. The only good thing is that it comes with a pump. Perhaps this would be alright for someone with extremely oily skin, but it's far too drying for normal to dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by LilacShine9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this cleanser once to use as a gentle makeup remover. I didn't like it at all. It didn't get my skin clean and felt like it left a film on my skin. Plus, it seemed to irritate my acne. I returned it to the store immediately.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by orderlyfashion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I'm shopping around for drugstore/ easy to find cleaners, as my long time fave Paula's Choice Hydralight cleanser has taken a recent price hike. To me, cleanser seems like one of those 'common denominator' products that should be easy to find and inexpensive (unlike daily spf/lotions and other leave-on products, for which I'm more choosy and willing to pay more for a quality formula & ingredients). At $24 for 16 oz, the PC cleanser is now just pricey enough for me to consider straying -- even though it's been my daily, primary cleanser for a couple of years now.

Anyhow, this neutrogena cleanser is the first in my drug store trials. On the plus side, you get a lot of product for not too much money. I also prefer a lighter gel-type cleanser, this fits the bill. I was a little worried that "foaming" would mean lathery, which I don't really care for, but that is not an issue here. It foams lightly but doesn't expand too much, and washes off easily and completely. 1-2 pumps is plenty, so I bet the bottle would last a while. Does a fine job taking off the (lighter) amount of makeup I wear everyday.

On the downside, it is heavily fragranced - a fresh and soapy smell. Or perhaps I'm just more aware of the scent having used unscented face wash for so long. The fragrance doesn't seem to affect my skin, so may be something I can live with. I also think this leaves my skin just a touch more dry than the PC cleanser, but I apply antioxidant serum after washing, so that helps to balance everything out. Also, after a few dozen uses, the pump started oozing soap around the neck - annoying and wastes product. I think I'll return it, use up my remaining bottle of PC, then buy the neutrogena again at a deeper discount or find another drugstore wash to try.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Tll3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i have been using this product for a few weeks now and my bottle still feels full! i love the smell and i like that it's very gentle and not drying. i have used cetaphil before and it was too gentle for me where as this cleanser cleanses enough and makes me feel clean. you can get 2 bottles at costco for 12! i didnt know this until recently and got mine at cvs with a coupon. i would repurchase this! i usually like to switch up my cleanser so my skin doesnt get immune to it but i will def repurchase in the future

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I didn't find it to be that gentle. It was too harsh for my sensitive skin and worsened my perioral dermatitis.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2013 1:48:00 PM More reviews by capotel

This product was the absolute worst thing to happen to my skin. I have never experienced such a bad breakout of hard, cystic acne as I had within a few days of using this cleanser. It also made my skin feel...kind of crusty. Very weird. I have dry-combination skin, and on the oilier areas of my face is where I experienced this strange change in texture. It didn't feel as if my oily areas were getting dry and flaky. More like the oil there was crystallizing or something. Gross and hard to explain. All I know is that a month later, after discontinuing use of this product, my skin is just now starting to re-balance and clear up, thanks to a combination of Clean & Clear's persa-gel 10 and--surprisingly, a different Neutrogena cleanser: their stress control acne cream wash, but the damage left behind is a lot of dark spots and acne scarring. This cleanser is NOT gentle on skin, and very heavily fragranced. My sister, who has very oily skin, also experienced breakouts from this cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by Scoutridge

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this cleanser with my Clarisonic twice daily. I find it removes makeup without stripping my skin. It's pleasantly scented and lathers well. And you can't beat the price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by three_black_cats

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, actually, I might TRY it again. I got to try this product because my dermatologist had samples available and I snagged one on my way out of the office. Seriously. I would love to work in that office because of all the samples they have. When I'm there again, I will definitely see if they have more samples of this, and try to snag another one. Or two. Or more.

This is definitely a very mild cleanser, but it will not work for dry skin unless you use it only occasionally. It does foam a bit, even without using a lot of product, but it isn't irritating at all (even around the eyes) and it really feels like it rinses off easily without leaving any residue or makeup behind. Moisturizer goes on nicely afterwards. It has no strong scent that I can detect, which is a plus. I'm not sure I'd want a full size bottle or want to use it every single day given that my skin is older and drier than it used to be, and using this every day might end up in disaster. But for an every once and a while cleanser, it is good. I'm guessing it would be a great option for those who want a mild cleanser that rinses off easily for normal/oily skin and don't want a lot of fragrance or irritating ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by carrie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because it's the only drugstore gentle foaming cleanser I've found that comes in such a large bottle. I was really hoping it would be my new favorite night time cleanser to remove makeup, but it's a little too drying for my dry and sensitive skin.

I should clarify that it didn't cause any problems for my skin and was actually a totally satisfactory cleanser...except I just noticed my skin looking a tad duller than usual. And I've gone through two bottles of the stuff without changing anything else in my routine. My pores didn't look as small and my skin didn't seem quite as soft. So, it worked for me and didn't dry me out or anything, but I've used other cleansers that subtly improved my skin texture, and that's what I wanted.

One thing that bothered me was how much it took to get a lather. I had to use one whole pump, and the pump is rather large, so we're talking about a quarter size of cleanser to wash my face, which seems a bit much. So despite the larger bottle, I had to use more of it to get my makeup off than I would've liked. It does get makeup and mascara off by the way, so that is a plus.

I wish this would've worked, but I'm back on my Eucerin Gentle Cleanser now and my skin is smoother and brighter. But I think this could be a great cleanser for folks with normal skin who want something that removes makeup well, lasts a while and doesn't dry out skin.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by rs02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really good drugstore cleanser- doesn't irritate my skin or dry it out like other neutrogena cleansers I've used. It also cleans my face well & removes all of my makeup.