Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser

3.3

Water, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauryl Glucoside, Potassium Accylates Copolymer, PEG 120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance

on 12/24/2014 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Its hard to find non-stripping, gentle, water soluble cleansers in the drugstore (in my town). This doesnt fit that bill either, but you get a lot of product for the price -and a pump- and its not too drying if used strategically. It has medium cleansing power, between Cetaphil and a traditional foaming cleanser. Doesnt irritate my skin it and rinses clean. Has a mild soap fragrance, but nothing bad. I use it in the morning in small amounts because I wake up with oily skin, at the end of the day I use albolene to remove my makeup and this to remove Albolene and wash my face. That way its not drying. Im SURE that if you use this on its own to double or triple wash, it WILL DRY YOUR SKIN OUT unless it is very oily. It's probably not as bad as gel cleansers aimed at teens, but its still a bit drying. Dont like it, Im in my huge second bottle of this because in the drugstore there are much worse options.

on 10/27/2014 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For years I have been washing my face with Dr. Bronner's Castile soap, which I adore, but it's far from gentle. Getting into my 30s I thought it might be time to try something a little less stripping and more gentle.
I do not have sensitive skin, I do not suffer from acne or breakouts, my skin is basically normal - not too dry and not too oily.
So far I really like this cleanser. I always use a buff puff when I wash my face, and I find no problems getting plentiful lather. It rinses away clean, and afterwards my skin feels just the right amount of tightness, of clean-ness. Nowhere near as tight and dry as after using the Castile soap. I don't feel any build up or residue from this cleanser, and don't feel the need to tone afterwards. Rather, I always moisturize right away after washing my face. This cleanser removes my make up fully, although this might be due to the fact that I use a buff puff.
The packaging is good, as is the price. Unless this causes some long-term problems I believe I will continue using this for a while. I will update after I've used it for a month or two.

The only con is the fragrance. It's relatively strong, and though it doesn't bother me at all I could imagine someone with sensitivity having a big problem with this wash.

on 10/13/2014 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

LOVE and would definitely repurchase!

Ingredient-wise:
With Glycerin listed second after water, how could it be bad?

Texture-Color-Fragrance-wise:
Watery liquid in transparent slightly yellowish color, remind me a diluted Liquid Neutrogena, with same scent just not as strong.

Performance-wise:
Usually use 3/4 to a full pump, foam up quite easily but I wouldn't say it produce a rich dense foam like normal foaming cleanser (especially those from Japanese brands).
It provide medium cleansing strength, in between normal foaming cleanser and Cetephil cleanser.
I use it every other day in place with my Sofina Cushion Foam Cleanser (very dense foam with excellent cleansing strength, work with foaming net), as the second clean after take off my sunscreen and make-up with Bioderma water.

My though:
Best foaming cleanser for dry skin, if you love Cetephil but wish something lighter for warmer weather, this is it!
I love it on day when I want a simple cleanser for quick clean. Personally I used to use the Liquid Neutrogena years ago, so find the scent pleasure, but I guess this might not be for everyone.
Huge bottle and very good value for money. Again how could thing load with Glycerin be bad!

on 9/28/2014 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I used to use the Olay Sensitive Skin face wash for a long time, but I felt that it really wasn't doing my skin any justice. My sister have my this one to try and I must say that it is pretty nice! Firstly, I love the scent. It smells like lavender, it is very attractive. I also feel like the foam really gets all the dirt and grime off my skin, without being too harsh or drying (I have very sensitive, acne prone skin that is combo-oily). The only thing I don't like is the packaging. It's so big and bulky and hard to travel with it. Overall though, this is a good wash.

on 9/18/2014 4:40:00 PM

I am surprised to see such a low rating for this cleanser. I used the hydrating one in the winter and switched to this one in the spring. I love this cleanser. My skin feels smooth and refreshed, it rinses cleanly and leaves my skin looking healthy. I use a make up remover for removing eye make up and then wash my face and this works well for leaving my skin clean.

on 9/17/2014 12:26:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really like Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser- I have combination skin (oily t-zone, normal cheeks that are prone to rosacea). My skin isn't super sensitive but I am careful not to use anything that might dry out my skin or lead to breakouts--so I'd say I have mildly sensitive skin. The cleanser has not contributed to breakouts and my skin is in good condition- i also tone with Dickinson's witch hazel (facial formula) and moisturize. While this cleanser doesn't moisturize skin, it gently cleanses, easily and effectively removes eye makeup, and leaves skin clean and soft. It has a mild cirtusy scent and foams up just enough, so a little goes a long way. It is better suited to those with normal to oily skin-those with dry skin might consider something more moisturizing. I am happy with this cleanser and will continue to repurchase.

on 8/9/2014 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love this cleanser. I have been using Cetaphil for the longest time and picked a sample of this one at my dermatologist's office. I loved it and purchased the full size. If you are looking for a cleanser that "foams" a lot, this is not it. It's consistency is closer to that of cetaphil but it does foam a little bit with some lather. My skin is sensitive at the moment because of just finishing a 6-month course of accutane thus, I am not in my 100% skin type yet. My skin still mostly non-oily (unlike before accutane) so we"ll see how much I like it as my skin starts going back to its natural state (if ever). So far, It is very gentle and amazing!

on 7/31/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

While I wouldn't call this the holy grail of cleansers or a poor cleanser. It is a cleanser and it does the job right. It falls into the category of most cleansers, it works the way it should and gets the job done.

Why I didn't give it 5 stars? That's pretty easy. This is a cleanser marketed for sensitive skin, therefore I would not associate this to be as strongly scented as it is. The scent isn't bad in anyway, in fact it smells clean. But just know this is not unscented or evenly lightly scented. It doesn't bother me, but it might bother others and quite possibly could irritate their skin.

For people worried about this being drying and stripping all moisture from your face, just be aware this is a foaming cleanser. Foaming cleansers have a tendency to be on the drying side. I also think foaming cleansers clean better and the foam is able to pull the dirt out. This may not be the product for you if you are afraid of it drying out your skin.

If you have oily acne prone sensitive skin (but not sensitive to scented products) I suggest you give it a try. It is a great value and I found it on sale after coupons paying only $4 for a 12oz bottle. My skin does feel a bit dry if I just don't do anything with it after cleansing. But my face feels fine after my normal morning and night skincare routine which involves using toner, serum/oil, sunscreen and moisturizer.

on 7/13/2014 7:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

A very average cleanser. Able to remove about 80% of waterproof mascara. Leaves my combination skin very tight - a moisturizer is needed after. Less than stellar cleanser.

on 7/13/2014 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

[I wrote this after using the entire bottle]. I ran out of my current cleanser and needed something new. I like to try all the gentle, foaming drugstore cleansers, though I don't really know what I'm expecting since they never blow me away. Anyways, I was interested in this one, but after reading reviews here, I was steered away from it. It sounded quite drying. I ended up pulling the trigger on it though after seeing that Beautypedia listed it as BEST and I wanted to try something new, regardless of how it worked.

PROS: It's a 12oz bottle, so it will last a while. It also deep cleans the skin, removing sunscreen/makeup/etc. I always double cleanse; I don't see the point of having a separate special cleanser/remover which costs more per an oz. It leaves my skin neither stripped or really hydrated... like a normal skin formula.

CONS: If I quickly use and rinse it off, it leaves my skin feeling odd... like rubber. The only thing I can compare it to is Paula's Choice Skin Recovery cleanser (I hated that cleanser for multiple reasons though). I have read that these high glycerin cleansers need more time on the skin or more working to do their job. That sounds about right. It foams ok, doesnt' explode with bubbles or anything though.

OTHER: The fragrance! It feels like they didn't do their market research when they put THIS frgrance into a sensitive skin product. It smells like "[fragranced] clean". It's immediately noticable, it's strong, and it lingers in cleansing tools. Over time, I got used to it, but it really stuck out in the wrong way. The bottle claims it's hypoallergenic however. I recently learned about folded oils, which remove the volatile compounds in essential oils, and while they could have done that, there's no way we can tell.

OVERALL: I used it up and bought it again. The scent doesn't shock me so much now, and it's an ok cleanser. Works good with my Clarisonic, not really much different than what's available. Like I said, I don't relaly know how much you can expect from a drugstore, simple cleanser.