L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil

3.8

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Chamomilla Recutita Extract/ Matricaria Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera Oil/ Coconut Oil, Nelumbium Speciosum Extract/ Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamal, Linalool, Linum Usitatissimum Flower Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Bisabolol, Glycine Soja Oil/Soybean Oil, Parfum/ Fragrance

on 2/24/2014 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have waist length, fine, thick hair which I tint to change colour, not lighten, every few months. At the end of the day my beloved mane was very tangly and gently removing the tangles was a boring ritual. I bought the gold capped version for all hair types and am surprised how good it is. I already use coconut oil occasionally before shampooing but am surprised with my results from this new oil. With the L'oreal oil my hair is no longer tangly (if I find a tangle it's because i didn't cover that lock of hair) it feels even softer, I've soft hair anyway being fine, but it looks a little fuller and glossier and healthier. My comb now slides through my hair in a minute instead of twenty. The biggest plus for me is my hair is growing longer because it's not getting tugged even gently and so splitting. I would recommend this to all women who want to grow their long hair longer and because it removes nearly all of the hassle of having very long tresses. I don't apply this oil to the hair on the head, just the lengths. I'm thinking of trying the oil for fine hair but am v pleased with this version. Another plus is if one over applies this oil it seems to evaporate any excess after a few minutes so when I sometimes make my hair look lank and greasy - within minutes it looks glossy and full - I can't get that from coconut oil however much I love it.

I use a couple of drops on wet hair and a couple more once my hair has air dried - if you're growing your hair throw away your hairdryer at once. I don't know what's the best way to apply this oil but it's so easy going on the hair, so foolproof, that I don't suppose it matters just start off slowly and add more when needed for tangles etc and anyone can find the best way for them. I had no idea my hair was dry as it looked lustrous (due no small part to my gorgeous 'Organic Surge' shampoo and conditioner) but using this L'oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil I now find dryness is obviously the cause of my knotty problem but no more with this lovely stuff. Great oil am v pleased.

As for the glass bottle it's much better than plastic - please - grief - it preserves the oils without tainting them as plastic would. Why does everyone prefer cheap nasty plastic bottles have you not heard of phthalates? They are plasticisers which believe me you don't want in your food/drink or applied to your scalp or skin, they're carcinogens and can cause severe i.e. life threatening liver damage. Glass bottles all the way please.

It does smell fragranced which I don't mind, my hair does smell pleasantly scented now which I can't think particularly good for the hair but I've noticed no negative effects beyond a kind of frangipane scent which is quite attractive once on the hair and settled by a few minutes. In my teens boys would grab lengths of my hair and smell it, I know I'd have liked it so prettily scented then.

Obviously this oil is a chemical concoction that's been formulated in a lab for maximum effects, maximum profits - unless one makes one's own what can we expect, however it does improve the look and feel of my nordic type hair. The surprise is that my hair is fine and can't take heavy moisturisers without looking lank but that this oil, once it's sunk in, five minutes, looks gleaming, full and glossier than usual. I wish they'd made it sooner in my life, I suspect my hair would be much longer than it is today.

Long term I suspect it won't improve the condition of the hair (except for comb tugging damage which can cause splitting and breakage, which this oil has stopped and is the bane of long hair) but does make it look and behave much better immediately.

A little goes a long way, a bottle may seem expensive but it will probably last six months to a year unless you've a gorgeously thick mane to your hips and then who cares, with such a blessing - lucky lucky you. For every long haired women, this oil seems worth a trial.

NB - to all mothers of long haired little girls - this oil might be a real asset - no more tugging on long tresses as you comb them out for her, am sure it would help brush and comb little girl's hair much more easily and much more quickly.

on 2/19/2014 1:54:00 PM

Nice product with beautiful smell.I bought it because I found it on sale 1+1 free.I thing that it's a bit pricey(10 euros).

This hair oil is pretty damned good - but for me only as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'd been staying with my sister for a few days and decided to try hers out - the one for all hair types. It left my hair extremely shiny and soft. I normally use natural oils, applied as an overnight treatment OR left in for half an hour before I wash my hair. What I like about this particular hair oil is that on me, it doesn't need my (mild) clarifying shampoo to remove most of the surface oil afterwards and avoid over-conditioning my limp but dehydrated hair. Okay, it's not natural but it's very impressive in terms of ease of use and results. I also tried it unsuccessfully as a finishing product, applied VERY sparingly, but I knew it was going to leave my hair greasy and it did. BTW my hair is oily roots, dry ends, fine and coloured. UPDATE: still loving this hair oil which I use twice a week (two pumps for just longer than shoulder-length hair), I leave it for at least ten mins then wash out and condition lightly - gorgeous! I still use natural oils esp. overnight for intensive conditioning, but this is a great cosmetic treatment.

on 2/16/2014 6:05:00 AM

I got the one in the red cap since I have colored hair. Gosh, this burnt my hands. It had alcohol and I'm allergic to it. Hair is ok. But for the sake of saving my skin, this is going into someone else's dresser!

UPDATE: I tried this a week later. This time, it didn't burn my hands or skin. Strange. I just took one pump and rub it from mid level down to my ends. Shake up the hair ends, comb through and smooth as silk! Blow dry and hair was just soft and shiny. So I've upgraded the lippies from one to three.

on 1/30/2014 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have the one with the filter UV (red cap) because where i live, its mostly sunny, so i like to protect my hair as much as my skin.

This is a miracle in a bottle!! I have medium length hair with dry tips like crazy! I tried to find something that would suit me, so my mom got this a few months ago and gave it to me as she stopped using it because she bought phyto. I was amazed at how amazing this is!

My hair has never been this soft, shiny and beautiful before!! I started to get a lot of compliments (which dosent happen often) !!!

I mostly use this as a after shower product on damp hair, then as a final product after straightening it ( I have curly, wavy, frizzy hair). I have never thought that my hair would be this amazing after just one use!

on 1/25/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

At first I didn't really like this oil because of the ingredient list. It seems to have a ton of non-oil ingredients in it, and I had been hoping for something that would be almost pure oil. But then when I use it, I think it's so nice! Not blow-me-out-of-the-water nice, but it's still pretty good. I found I get the best results when I use it on damp hair. I don't blow dry, I always just let it dry naturally, and the results are still nice. It leaves the hair soft, which is pretty hard for me to achieve because I have coarse, dry hair naturally. The hair doesn't look oily at all after it dries, it just looks like nice, soft, bouncy hair. As with all hair oils I have to use a lot of product though, because if I use less it just doesn't do anything for the hair or succeed in covering it all. I use 3-4 pumps on each side of the hair. But don't do that unless like me you have very thick, very coarse, very dry, long hair. If you found it too greasy, you were probably using too much. I think how much you should use would depend on how thick and dry your hair is to begin with. Oh I use the one with the gold cap, because I have natural hair.

on 1/24/2014 11:15:00 PM

I love this product it is my most favourite thing to use! It makes ur hair smell delicious and look amazing with a nice shine. I have died my hair lots over the past 2 years and it is very damaged and this oil makes my hair look healthy once again:) I would defiantly buy again I just recently bought my second bottle. Very happy with this product. The only thing is the price but it is totally worth paying $20 for :)

on 1/23/2014 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

this hair oil is available in the states as well although it's marketed as L'Oreal "Oleo Therapy" Perfecting Oil Essence. It comes in the same shaped glass bottle and contains the 6 flower oil and has the same exact ingredients. I love this oil it's very light and non-greasy.I use this mainly before blow drying and then I smooth a small amount on my dry hair for extra shine. Leaves my hair feeling soft with a glossy finish. This oil smells very nice like a high end salon product. So if anyone in the states is wondering where to get this product, it's named "Oleo Therapy" and its part of L'Oreal's new line of sulfate free oil infused shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioning masque, and self warming hot oil treatments.

on 1/18/2014 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is just a whole lot of "meh"

I'm a gold cap user. I've had this bottle for 15 months. No, it's not ever-giving I just go through phases of digging it out, trying again, and putting it back.

Let's go top to bottom with this one:

Aesthetically, nice packaging. The glass bottle can only be bumping up the price though. The pump gives just as much as you'd want for a single measure. We're off to a good start...

The consistency of the product is serum-y. It's not too thick, not too thin... Goldilocks would be happy.

I realise the sme is a point of contention, but personally I love it. It wouldn't be amiss in a EDT!

Then you use it... Urgh.

Now I will point out a lot of people on here seem to love this on their coloured hair. Maybe as mine isn't coloured, it's not getting in there as much?!

That's the problem. I can't notice anything different with one pump, and two pumps it just weighs my hair down massively. I would also say my hair gets a lot more tangled with this in, which may be a sign of the product gumming up...

I've also used this as a hair mask, a pre-shampoo, a finishing oil (really - don't attempt this one!) and will try a tip I found om here about using it as a middle step between shampoo and conditioner.

So, if your hair is long, au natural in terms of colour, and dry due to age and heat alone, save up your pennies and try morrocanoil - better yet read my review on morrocanoil THEN buy it *cough* shameless self promotion *cough*

My verdict - AVOID

on 1/15/2014 8:02:00 AM

just bought this and fall in love with it.. an excellent replacement for my keraste hair oil (orange colour).. best put after shower!!! very light feeling and non greasy.. the price is affordable and u got a lot of amount which can last me for a very long time!

the cons is the packaging.. its in a glass pump..which is very heavy and scared if i lose grip of it ! :/

overall GOOD product!