July 25, 2014 | 1792 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula - 2012/2013)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2014 5:46:00 PM More reviews by musiqphile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a fan of this stay-put foundation. I bike to and from work, go to my gym during lunch and generally have 12+hrs from when I do my face in the morning until I take it off at night. Revlon Colorstay does indeed stay. I think the trick is to start with a really, really well-prepared canvas and hone your application skills. That means regularly exfoliating, moisturizing, hydrating, getting enough sleep, etc., sh|t you should be doing anyway. Then apply it with a wet makeup sponge like the Beautyblender or Quo using a stippling motion. I have good skin to begin with so only need a light layer and this foundation makes my face look like a better version of itself. People who have skin issues will really have to learn how to apply this properly to keep it from looking like they've slapped it on with a painting trowel. I knew a girl who went super heavy with this and it looked terrible in the morning and even worse when it started to settled into her lines. Girlfriend, don't use your fingers or a dry sponge! It makes you look like a Wayans brother in that awful movie "White Chicks."

Steps:
1. Wash your face.
2. Moisturize and let the cream soak in for at least five minutes
3. Wet, squeeze and blot your makeup sponge of choice.
4. Pour a penny to nickel-sized amount of foundation onto the back of your hand.
5. Use something to dot the foundation onto your face. Your clean finger is ok here.
6. Working one section at a time but quickly, bounce your damp makeup sponge all over your face and make sure it's all even.
7. Blush/highlight as necessary.
8. Set with a very light layer of setting powder.
9. Now forget about your face because you're good to go.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by kaplaj90

Horrible. Does not blend into my combination skin. I do not have any acne. My forhead gets dry while the rest of my face is normal. Just sits right on top and slides off into patches. The color is extremely dark and it seems to just get darker. I purchased a very light color. I have pale skin with very little redness. I have been trying to find an every day foundation with good coverage and this is just horrible. I'm throwing in the garbage as soon as I can find another foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2014 10:06:00 AM More reviews by laurenjill05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have never been one to complain about packaging - as long as the product itself is good. I decided to finally buy this foundation even though I already have plenty, just to see what all the hype was about. All I can say is the product itself is not that great, not enough to deal with the fact that this doesn't have a pump. Yes, it does it's job, covers imperfections and lasts a long time, but it doesn't make my face look amazing or anything. Basically what I am saying - the foundation itself doesn't amaze me enough to deal with the trouble of having to smack the bottom of the bottle like ketchup just to try and get some of the thick product out. My 3 lippy rating is based on the foundation formula itself, but I returned it because I don't have time to be dealing with a foundation without a pump. I much prefer the finish of the ColorStay Whipped foundation so I will stick with that.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by jujup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my favorite foundation ever! It has incredible staying power, smudge-proof, sweat-proof, and wonderful coverage. It is also difficult to rub off on clothes as opposed to most others. I have mild to moderate acne with quite a bit of hyperpigmentation from the acne. This covers MUCH of the imperfections that I have while I use concealer for the really difficult blemishes. I don't usually have redness, but I notice that if I do, it neutralizes it greatly. I have never had a problem with oxidization with this foundation nor have I thought it to look "whitish". I often get compliments from people saying I have a wonderful complexion and such smooth skin (I do tell them it's the makeup so they can run and buy some).

Many people may have an issue with this foundation being too "thick" or looking like a mask. I do not know how these people are applying the foundation, but I can say the BEST way (at least in my opinion) is to apply it with a wet sponge, like the beauty blender, wedge, or any other sponge. This helps to thin it out some so that you can go with a lighter coverage, and if need be, build coverage. It also helps it to keep from drying too fast so you can blend it more. Every foundation I have ever used, I have always used a wet sponge and is one of the reasons why I think the beauty blender is so popular, because it is wet, helps to control the amount, and blends so well.

I have tried both the combination/oily skin and the dry skin versions of this, but I like the oily/combination skin better. I'm guessing it's probably because of my acne and it almost seems to stay or look better on me. Other people may have different reactions depending on their skin type. As always, you should start with a clean face, and moisturize well before applying. Many people do not use a setting powder, but I always do in order to set the foundation and to give a more even look. I saw a few people put something about a strange smell...I can't say I have ever smelled anything with this foundation, but that's just me. I think the TruBlend Foundation has an awful smell but others may not. I never thought about a pump for this, but after reading another review, it would probably be a nice addition. However, it's not difficult to just use an old pump if yoiu have one! This is definitely worth a try, but don't be discouraged after the first use or two. Just try different methods of applying and see what works best. Good Luck!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2014 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Makeupaddictt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

This broke me out terribly. The coverage wasn't great either and considering the price of it, i had expected more.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by sana8it

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

GUESS WHAT LADIES!!!! BEST Tip Ever: Maybelline dream mousse liquid foundation's pump fits onto Revlon colorstay!!! You can just keep reusing it... I prefer not to dump Revlon colorstay into an empty bottle, that wastes so much product? I'd rather just find a reusable pump. And this is your answer right here ^^!!! Allow me to summarize the pros and cons from all the reviews and my personal experience... I am in my mid 20s and have combo /oily skin for reference and use the combo/oily colorstay...

Pros:
- almost full coverage
-amazing lasting power (min.6-8+hrs)
-has sunscreen
- minimizes appearance of pores and diminishes redness
- 80-90% will repurchase out of 1500+ ppl
- doesn't really oxidize (massive perk), shake before use!
-no transference, this bad boy hugs ur skin like no tomorrow
- didn't break me out, kept my oiliness at Bay for few hours, looks more matte
-color range is wide, could have more selection for darker skin shades in some stores grr
-widely available

Cons:
- no pump, lots of product gets wasted (solution: listed above^/or use ur own empty bottle and pump)
- work fast, because it can dry fast sometimes if left sitting on top of skin especially... (apply with a warm damp sponge, fingers, or fast buffing techniques) ON HYDRATED SKIN, DRY SKIN =HARDER TO SPREAD... PRETEND UR USING LIQUID CLAY /CEMENT.. You heard me.. That's why it's good for us oilies, u don't want to add oil to your already oil producing skin, you want to HYDRATE your skin, look for water-based lotion/moisturizer before u apply or what the heck dilute it with a tiny dab for convenience in product's spread-ability/emollient properties
-price point, for a drug store brand and a miniscule amount and no pump.. this stuff goes quick and cost alot... Even with a pump it should be cheaper,the price has inflated because of its popularity in past couple of years
- pictures: you can notice a lighter cast or reflection from the sunscreen
-can look cakey, less is more with this!!!
- removal takes a good cleanser/longer to fully remove all layers

Overall: I would repurchase, it stays on, doesn't budge or transfer, it's several customer's Holy grail product... And if used sparingly and quickly it can look as smooth as butter! I'm an NC40 and can use either 320-330 shades, after I apply it I will wait a minute and dab gently with a fine tissue to remove floating sebum (oil) .. This sets the foundation for a longer duration and then follow it with a powder to set it!
**I am a certified Laser Technician /Medical Esthetician /Skin Specialist... Educating clients truly outweighs any sales to me.. Good luck!!

Ps. If you sort- the reviews for this in the softflex version for combo/oily skin.. Where I posted this review as well- by most helpful reviews you will notice some awesome reviewers have listed color match and ingredient lists, application preferences, pump suggestions such as Clinique moisture surge light as well!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Kica

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hated this. I tried it for a week and although it looked good for a few hours, towards the end of my 8hr day it looked terrible and just icky, while it did stay put, the color looked 'off' at the end of my day. I wouldn't descibe it as oxidized...just off color. In Nearly Naked I wear Cappuccino but in CS I wear Caramel (a shade lighter) and I'm NW45.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by jlushh

After trying a plethora of foundations this is one I keep returning to buy.

I use 110 Ivory and I am a MAC nw15, the colour matches really well.

It lasts pretty much all day when I use it with powder and setting spray. I like full coverage foundation because I have freckles/small moles that I like to cover up and this product does just that. It hasn't caused me to break out and doesn't settle into dry patches.

I hate that it doesnt have a pump though, I feel like a lot of product gets wasted this way. Photoready has a pump, so why not this!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 10:08:00 PM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Typical drugstore packaging but it doesn't bother me none. Light enough feel for everyday use, doesn't feel like I have anything on my face. Awesome coverage but green concealer needed for those tricky red blemishes. Combination/Oily Skin formula sticks but doesn't dry out my skin. Finish is so skin like and natural. Best drugstore foundation I've found seeing as it's light enough for everyday use but enough coverage for my acne scarring that I feel comfortable being seen in public. This stuff smells of paint and is so strong that for an hour after you've gotten a good whiff your nose will still burn and you'll have developed an uncomfortable headache, ONLY BIG CON. I spent years not wanting to buy into the hype (literally$) and don't know how I did so. This is a staple in my foundation collection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 12:31:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

Revlon Colorstay has been a foundation that I've flirted with for about 5 years now. Always loved it when I used it but because I am a makeup addict, I never continually repurchased it. To my knowledge, the foundation was reformulated in 2012 to be the 24hr formulation versus the old 16hr formulation and I would say that there are both positive and negative changes to the formulation.
A few things that have not changed however are the packaging, the staying power and the smell. I'm a bit disappointed the Revlon had the audacity (dramatic, I know), to reformulate this foundation but not include a pump after all of the feedback from loyal customers asking for one! This is a bit of a slap in the face in my opinion but since their sales are virtually unaffected regardless of the pump, I'm sure they didn't see it as a necessary feature to include. The foundation still lasts a full day and then some on my skin without both primer and powder- I'm not sure about the 24hr claim because I have not yet and cannot currently foresee a situation that would require me to wear makeup for a full 24 hours. And as for the smell- it still smells like paint! The shade selection is also the same as far as I know.
The positive changes in my opinion are the thickness of the foundation and the finish. When I bought Revlon Colorstay a few years ago for the first time I remember being slightly turned off by the thickness of the product and it did feel a bit uncomfortable on my skin, a factor which I overlooked due to all of the other positive offerings. The new foundation is quite thin and breathable which is such an upgrade in my opinion, especially if you have any acne which needs breathability in order to heal and clear. The finish of this foundation used to be very matte in both the Normal/Dry and Oily/Combo formulation which I didn't really enjoy. The foundation now has more of a skin-like satiny finish but still controls oil fabulously.
Now for the negative change(s).....I would say the people who have Normal/Dry skin got cheated the most with this formulation change. Since I have oily skin that has dehydrated patches, I used to be able to use either formulation but now I would never even consider buying the Normal/ Dry skin formula and that comes down to coverage. The oily/ combo formula seems to have slightly less coverage, (now medium coverage, used to be full coverage) but the Normal/ Dry formulation went from being full coverage to being tinted moisturizer sheer. When I picked up the new formula for the first time, I got the Normal/ Dry skin formula and when I went to apply it with my beauty blender, there was literally zero coverage. A little sheen of what looked like foundation but all of my redness and acne was just as visible so I took it back right away and exchanged it for the Oily/Combo formula.
In my opinion, the reformulation perfected the Oily/Combo skin foundation and literally destroyed the Normal/ Dry skin foundation by taking away all of its coverage. If you wore the Normal/ Dry skin foundation previously and can take back used cosmetics to your local drugstore, I would strongly encourage you to try the Oily/Combo foundation instead because I think you'll be a lot more satisfied. I would recommend purchasing the Oily/Combo foundation if the most perfect and versatile foundation in the whole wide world if what you're looking for and would pass on Normal/ Dry. Hopefully Revlon gets it together soon and adds a pump to this product....

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No