August 30, 2014 | 1796 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula - 2012/2013)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/3/2014 10:30:00 PM More reviews by cheesedippable

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The coverage of this is excellent, but it feels super heavy on my skin. I find that I get the best natural effect and less heavy feeling with a damp beauty sponge. It does last quite long on my oily skin, but I will not repurchase it again simply because it feels too heavy and unnatural on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Anielovi

I've been using this for years, it's a real signature item. I'm not sure what they did different but I feel like this formula is much heavier, great for full coverage. If you have never tried foundation before, you should give it a try. It feel like you are wearing nothing and applies fairly easily. It does dry fast, and smells funny, but nothing to worry about. This is also good for sensitive skin, as I have. It covers redness and it doesn't make me break out. Also, it can be used on its own without primer or concealer, I find that this does the work well. It has the right finish between matte and dewy. Just make sure you moisturize first!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by domlam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm Chinese with yellow undertones and combo skin, oily on the nose and chin. My closest match is NC20, although I never used MAC for long because it always appeared either orange or ashy on me regardless of formula. I've returned so many products that I eventually gave up. Light colours of other brands tend to be pinkish and I don't want to pay the price of Bobbie Brown. Since then, I've kept my routine simple with just concealer and mineral foundations that I mix myself to get the right tone and shade. However, with age, I'm beginning to see the dreaded uneven colours on my face, with the area around my mouth and chin being the darkest. So I've decided to try something heavier duty that still looked natural and picked the combo formula of Revlon Colorstay 24 Hrs after reading numerous reviews. The cheapest regular price is $14.95 at Walmart and some Superstores in Canada. Shoppers is $19.95.

On Colour Selection:
I started with Buff which appeared to be a perfect match to the colour of my neck under sunlight. However, interestingly, under indecasent lighting, my face became a shade lighter than the neck with a grayish cast. So I went and got Sand Beige, the next one up in shade. When I swatched and blended both on my arm, Buff came out with a very slight pinkish hue although it looks very yellow before blending. Sand Beige came out peachy and darker. Given Buff is too light under certain lighting but in the right tone and Sand Beige is darker but in the wrong tone, I decided to blend the two. I did not mix them before application because that means applying the same shade to uneven colours. What I did instead was apply a layer of Sand Beige all over first and then dabbed Buff lightly over patches that needed colour correction but still allowing Sand Beige to come through. I then applied concealer where needed like I usually do, then set with a dusting of translucent mineral powder and a light spritz of spring water. That seems to be working well and the products do not oxidize on my face, although I do need to test things more under different conditions.
One thing I have noticed in the store, aside from the same shades being lighter in the combo/oily formula when compared to the dry/normal formula, the overall undertone is yellower in the combo/oily formula as well.

On Application:
I agree with many reviewers here and on other sites that the results you get depend heavily on the way the product is applied. I started with my fingers, the same way I would blend my concealer, but noticed fine streaks that are left by my fingerprints, whether I spread or dabbed the foundation. I have a flat top kabuki brush and decided to use it for stippling like other reviewers have suggested. The results are very good and you can't tell there is foundation on my skin. To avoid the brush soaking up too much product, I would spread the foundation as evenly as I can with my fingers and then stipple away before it sets. The key is to work with very thin layers and small areas. Do not plop on a lot of product and try to do the entire face in one shot. That guarantees product pooling in pores and lines.
One thing I'm still playing around with is how I prep my face. I use a SPF30 moisturizer which seems to alter the colour a bit and the silicone-happy primer seems to make the foundation slide after a few hours. So I need to test what and how much to put on under the foundation.
I'm also interested in trying a damp sponge after reading so much about Beautyblender but I really cannot justify spending upwards of $20 for one sponge. So I searched online and came across a new product from Real Techniques (Miracle Complexion Sponge) that just became available in Canada. There are quite a number of reviews in the US and the UK saying this is the first great dupe for Beautyblender, either matching or surpassing with a slightly different shape (one side of the egg is flat with sharp edges) and quality material. At $9.99 a piece (it's $5.99 in the US, sigh....), it's worth a try. I just ordered one online with free shipping, will see how that one goes.

Didn't mean for the review to be this long, thanks for reading. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 1:04:00 PM More reviews by holaitsstephxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really like this foundation! It gives medium to full coverage (depending how much you put on) and there is a huge colour range (I use the second lightest shade, Buff.) I'm a teenager with acne and I am currently taking medicine for it but I wanted a foundation that would cover up most of my acne and make me feel better about my skin. This foundation gives a really good amount of coverage - it covers up all blemishes and redness but not all spots, but I'm still happy with it as my skin looks better. I usually go straight to using the palest colour of foundation as I am quite pale, but because it is nearly summer I tried out the shade 'Buff' and it is a really good match and gives a healthy colour to my face. This foundation doesn't really have a smell to it, which I guess is fine. I have to mention that this foundation does last, on me, at least 5 or 6 hours which is great. It does claim to last 24 hours which is not true, but 5 or 6 hours I think is still pretty good, especially since I have oily skin! One thing I really really hate about this product though (Revlon, if you are reading please take this on board) is the packaging. I'm used to using a foundation with a pump, and this foundation doesn't have one. What I did is I washed out a pump from my old foundation and used that (it doesn't screw on but it still works) because I'm quite clumsy and I know I would waste product if I attempted to pour it everyday. I wouldn't even mind if I had to pay a couple of pounds more if this foundation had a pump on it, as it would be so much more convenient. Anyway, although I hate the packaging, the product itself I think is great and is at least worth a try. If you want a lot of coverage then I recommend trying this foundation :)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by gracyyylala

Well...... I HATE this foundation. I do not understand why or how so many YouTubers rave about it because I personally think this is the worse drugstore foundation I have ever tried.

Pros:
None

Cons:
Horrible color selection
Bad coverage
Feels heavy
Looks cakey
Smells weird

I have tried applying this foundation in every way known to mankind but no matter how hard I try it just doesn't work for me. I recommend Maybelline Instant Age Rewind instead if this foundation doesn't work for you either.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2014 4:39:00 PM More reviews by McBabe

I love this foundation.
I recently "treated" myself to a Mac foundation and God it was awful! I am so happy to be reunited with my colour stay!
I have combination skin which needs a full coverage due to acne scars on my chin.
This foundation is easy to apply, it glides onto the skin and blends perfectly. It doesn't settle into any lines or pores and has such good coverage that I either don't need to use concealer or just use a smidgen if I have an imperfection.
It lasts all day, gives my skin an airbrushed look and is great value for money.
I would definitely recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:47:00 PM More reviews by MsKacey

i LAAAAVE this foundation!! this has become my new go-to. it does everything it should- and more. it really does stay put all day until you remove it at night. covers everything you would hope it would, dries perfectly for a flawless look all day long. the shades are great. it reminds me of a department store brand and is even better than some I've used. isn't watery or runny, this goes on beautifully and goes where you want it. doesn't leave me oily, as i use in conjunction with heavy concealer. i could go on and on, definitely my favorite foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by polmaysaund

New HG! I have super sensitive slightly oil acne prone skin with a lot of uneven skin tone (basically a nightmare) and this is the best foundation I have ever used! So high coverage and not even slightly cakey. The lack of pump is really strange though I don't get why they would do that? But even so the foundation is great. I am really pale and no foundations are usually light enough, I got 110 ivory and it's definitely the palest highstreet foundation I've used it's great. Cannot praise this enough apart from pump issue, but I just tap some onto the back of my hand and use a stippling brush :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2014 5:46:00 PM More reviews by musiqphile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a fan of this stay-put foundation. I bike to and from work, go to my gym during lunch and generally have 12+hrs from when I do my face in the morning until I take it off at night. Revlon Colorstay does indeed stay. I think the trick is to start with a really, really well-prepared canvas and hone your application skills. That means regularly exfoliating, moisturizing, hydrating, getting enough sleep, etc., sh|t you should be doing anyway. Then apply it with a wet makeup sponge like the Beautyblender or Quo using a stippling motion. I have good skin to begin with so only need a light layer and this foundation makes my face look like a better version of itself. People who have skin issues will really have to learn how to apply this properly to keep it from looking like they've slapped it on with a painting trowel. I knew a girl who went super heavy with this and it looked terrible in the morning and even worse when it started to settled into her lines. Girlfriend, don't use your fingers or a dry sponge! It makes you look like a Wayans brother in that awful movie "White Chicks."

Steps:
1. Wash your face.
2. Moisturize and let the cream soak in for at least five minutes
3. Wet, squeeze and blot your makeup sponge of choice.
4. Pour a penny to nickel-sized amount of foundation onto the back of your hand.
5. Use something to dot the foundation onto your face. Your clean finger is ok here.
6. Working one section at a time but quickly, bounce your damp makeup sponge all over your face and make sure it's all even.
7. Blush/highlight as necessary.
8. Set with a very light layer of setting powder.
9. Now forget about your face because you're good to go.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by kaplaj90

Horrible. Does not blend into my combination skin. I do not have any acne. My forhead gets dry while the rest of my face is normal. Just sits right on top and slides off into patches. The color is extremely dark and it seems to just get darker. I purchased a very light color. I have pale skin with very little redness. I have been trying to find an every day foundation with good coverage and this is just horrible. I'm throwing in the garbage as soon as I can find another foundation.