October 23, 2014 | 1632 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner - London Baby!

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by everysunflower

It's not quite black, brown, taupe, grey, nor aubergine. But oddly enough, a combination of all of them. Thank you Essence for giving us this awesomely unique colour! I urge you to try it ~ you will not be underwhelmed! For $3.99 (CAD), this little gem provides you with a perfect creamy formula, easy to work with, long-lasting and super pigmented product! I like Essence better than my two previous favourites: Physicians Formula and MAC. The best part about Essence is their affordability and the fact that they don't test on animals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by 2010

Not sure that I'm loving the colour of this.... it's a weird grayish-taupe colour to me, I don't think it flatters my blue eyes that well. The pigmentation, however, is awesome. I use the Essence eyeliner brush to apply and it stays put all day.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by hellomorning

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

LOVE this product! love the texture (so creamy). love the color. really easy to apply. this gel-liner stay all day til' night long on my eyelid. if you a beginner on a gel-liner, I recommended this product! price? it's only $3.49 on ulta. cheap price and you'll no regret!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2012 7:26:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Please try using this as a cream eyeshadow! Just dab a bit on and blend it out with a brush or your finger. The blending makes it fade out from a dark colour to a smokey brownish taupe... You can add a powder taupe eyeshadow at the crease for a soft finish, or not- but this will give a quick, beautiful smoky eye that will work for daytime and nightime! I like it as a base for Mac Patina and Star Violet...and used as a liner in the same look. Makes my brown eyes look amazing The colour suits me, and probably most people.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2012 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Tarheeloutwest

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Score! I remembered reading some good reviews here for the Essence gel eyeliner so I bought it in the brown shade (London Baby) last week when I was at a Fred Meyer in North Seattle. The retail price is around $3.50 (and Freddie's had it for half off) so I figured even if it didn't live up to the press that I would not have wasted big bucks. I was very pleasantly surprised by its pigmentation and durability. I would definitely buy this again.

I've used the Maybelline gel eyeliner in another shade and the Essence eyeliner is better than Maybelline. I've been buying L'Oreal's gel eyeliner for a number of years and this compares very favorably to L'Oreal. The browns are different shades, though. L'Oreal is a true brown and the Essence shade is a bit silvery and not as dark. Anyway, a great way to experiment with gel eyeliner without the expense of L'Oreal, let alone anything from the department store.

The Fred Meyer that I went to only had brown, black and silver/gray. I've read reviews here for other colors but I didn't see a slot for other colors in that display. There's no brush, so you have to buy that separately if you don't have your own. HTH!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Wow--thank you MUAers for writing reviews of this product! I had never used any Essence brand products before and don't shop at Ulta, so never would have found this on my own. I use an angled Sonia Kashuk brush to apply this eyeliner and absolutely love it! The color is gorgeous (dark grey) and it is easy to apply (I am by no means an expert). It also stays put all day and isn't too difficult to take off with makeup remover. Better consistency and color than MAC's fluidlines and much cheaper. Going to go back to Ulta and see which other colors are available. Highly recommended

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 11:14:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Essence's Gel Eyeliners are probably one of the most affordable on the market. These liners are said to be an "ultra smooth gel formula that allows for precise application." Essence recommends applying their gel liner with their gel liner brush, which I only just purchased today, I've been applying it with Gloss' Professional Eyeliner Brush before hand. Essence promises that this gel liner is "quick drying, long lasting, smudge and waterproof." This gel liner is available in 3 shades, I have London, Baby; a dark charcoal grey with purple micro shimmer. Each pot of eyeliner contains .1fl oz (3ml) and costs $3.49, which is pretty dang affordable. This eyeliner was made in Italy. Essence is a cruelty free brand. Essence is available in most European drugstores, Ulta in the USA, Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, and Target in Australia. I purchased mine at Ulta.
Essence's Gel Eyeliners come in a cute, round, little glass pot with a black twist on cap. The cap seems pretty airtight, so I'm not too worried about the product drying out. The lid has a small label affixed to it with the name of the product and a geometric square print. The back label has the shade name and number, a brief product description written in a couple languages. There is no indication that the packaging is recyclable, but it seems like it would be. The ingredient list isn't included on the packaging, nor is it on the Essence website. I had to scrounge around the internet to find it. Personally I think it should be mandatory for every beauty product to have the ingredient list on it, or to come with a small leaflet with the ingredients. Anyways, I like this eyeliner's packaging. It's cute, compact, and functional, like just about all of Essence's packaging.
Before I go on about Essence's Gel Eyeliner, let me tell you a story. I've only ever used one gel eyeliner before this one, Ulta's Extreme Wear Gel Eyeliner, to be exact, in the shade Prime Time. From the day I got it, it was very hard and difficult to work with and had minimal color payoff. I would have to wipe off the top layer of product before each use and even then it was still a pain to use. I didn't realise that gel liners weren't meant to be that way, and because of that, never understood why so many people raved about them. Then I got this one and fully understood many people's gel liner obsession.
Essence's Gel Eyeliner is extremely creamy and easy to work with. It glides onto the eyelid in one fluid stroke. It's like everything the Ulta brand liner isn't! I was so surprised by the smooth texture of this gel liner. This eyeliner is light like a gel, but thick enough to be opaque in one swipe. I should mention that Essence doesn't indicate whether or not this eyeliner is waterline safe. Personally I haven't tried this on the waterline, mostly because I like how Avon's Mega Impact works on my waterline, and I also don't want a brush that close to my eyeball. It's up to you on whether or not you want to try this liner on the waterline.
Wear for this eyeliner is pretty good. I wore it on my way to Australia and it stayed on for about 20 hours, not that you should ever wear eyeliner that long on normal circumstances. I find that pretty impressive, since Essence didn't make any crazy claims about this wearing 12,18,24 hours While I haven't really tested this eyeliner's waterproof claims, I believe them, just because of the longevity of wear. I have however, tested the smudge proof claims, and it's legit. Essence's Gel Eyeliner sets right away and stays put. If you make a mistake or want to smudge this liner, you probably have 10 seconds or less to work with. Don't be too concerned about removal, which can be a pain for waterproof eyeliners. This one comes fairly easily with an oil based remover. Be thorough though, a little bit of this liner tends to hide between my lashes, giving me raccoon eyes in the morning.
London, Baby is richly pigmented and looks like a soft black or dark gunmetal in the pot. In reality, when swatched it's a dark charcoal shade with very subtle purple and gold micro glitter. The micro glitter doesn't show up on the eye, and I really only noticed it for the first time when I was doing my swatches. Even though the glitter doesn't show up on the eye, London, Baby has a fairly metallic finish, which looks pretty cool. A dark charcoal like this is a really good alternative to black eyeliner, especially for pale people like me. The nearly invisible flecks of glitter don't result in any apparently fall out, by the way.
Essence's Gel Eyeliner has completely changed my mind about gel eyeliner. I want to try so many more now! The texture of this eyeliner is superb, it's so easy to get a smooth, precise, opaque line. It wears really well, even on long haul flights. Best of all, it holds up to it's claims, not that that's hard. Essence tends to make really general claims about their products. I definitely recommend Essence's Gel Eyeliner in London,Baby. The color is super flattering and the price is super affordable. I'll almost definitely repurchase this epic gel eyeliner, and I'm quite tempted to try the other shades. This is everything a gel eyeliner should be! ^__^

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by mirageangelhope

YOU can't appreciated this color unless you've swatched it.This is one of those products,it could be black,grey,taupe or even dark purple.It also have multi-colored glitters in the formula.It has all of the amazing aspect of the others long lasting,really black and goes on smooth.I love this for evening and for 3 dollars you need to try all the colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 7:39:00 AM More reviews by 1017

I gave this color a review listing of its own because IMO, it is that perfect. London Baby, I guess, at first glance would be considered a deep charcoal gray, but it is almost more of a charcoal taupe. It is like a soft black, with hints of brown and gray. Fabulous color...so intriguing.

I get bored of plain black liners. I have very dark black lashes naturally. I usually use MAC Blitz & Glitz, but was looking for an easier (color wise), less forceful liner that would thicken my lash line, but not look like I was wearing makeup (kind of my summer easy breezy goal). My MUA friend rec'd this liner in this shade to me. I bought London Baby and the black color to be safe. I have only used the black once since purchase...but LB is used all the time! It is perfect for a soft thick lash line with or without mascara. My bent liner brush doesn't work with this gel liner as well as it does with my MAC, so I use a small pointy, but soft tipped brush from Sonia Kashuck to apply (almost like an old fashioned pen tip shape).

These are sold at Ulta and are dirt cheap. London Baby is an amazing color and definitely worth the $3! I am NW20, with almost black hair, brown eyes.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No