Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

3.9

OCTINOXATE 7.4% Sunscreen OCTOCRYLENE 3.0% Sunscreen ZINC OXIDE 8.6% Sunscreen WATER • DIMETHICONE • ISODODECANE • SD ALpCOHOL 40-B • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE • GLYCERIN • POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE • VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER • POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9/1 COPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER • XYLITOL • METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER • THIOTAURINE • SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT • PAEONIA ALBIFLORA ROOT EXTRACT • ONONIS SPINOSA ROOT EXTRACT • ECTOIN • LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE • TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • DISODIUM EDTA • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • BHT • SYZYGIUM JAMBOS LEAF EXTRACT • TOCOPHEROL • PHENOXYETHANOL • BENZOIC ACID • FRAGRANCE • MICA • TITANIUM DIOXIDE •

on 7/21/2013 10:56:00 AM

This is a wonderful daily face sunscreen and makeup primer in one. It doesn't irritate my very sensitive skin. In fact, my skin feels smoother and healthier after using this for a while.

I am fair-skinned, so it does not give me much of a white cast. It helps my mineral powder foundation stay put a little longer, and helps keep my oily forehead matte. I love the convenience of having sun protection and primer all in one.

I would definitely recommend this product for those with sensitive/oily skin.

on 7/18/2013 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

My sister got this from the US since it's not available in Asia (I think the Asia version is the multi defense?), it's very small. Only 30 mL/1fl.oz compared to the perfect UV protector, but then again, this is for face only while the perfect UV is for face&body.

The fact that it doesn't have a PA rating (the newer version) kinda bothers me because I like to know how sunscreen products works to protect my skin from UVA.

The texture is similar to the perfect UV. Very runny and liquid-y. Smells flowery like other Shiseido products. I thought that it would almost be the same with the perfect UV since it has the same texture and smell. But after I applied it on my face, it's little bit different from what I expected.

(Note: this is based on 3 day testing on a part of my face for any allergic reactions)

First of all, it leaves a white cast. I used this for 3 days on my left jaw to test for allergic reactions and the rest of my face with the perfect UV protector and I can actually see the area which I apply this sunscreen! Maybe it's because the zinc oxide level is 12.5% and it reflects a lot of light, making the white cast.

Second, it's very, very drying. The perfect UV is drying at some point if I apply too much my oily skin will be dry and flaky. But this one, if I apply even at a small amount it will be very flaky and dry. I don't know it's only my skin (which is oily but sometimes flaky), or happen to other people.

Third, I experienced a few clogged pores on the testing area, not acne, but little colorless and painless bumps. Nothing major, but I'll admit it makes me a little bit worried to put this on my whole face (especially more sensitive cheek area). Some reviews said it's because of the ethylhexyl palmitate, but I can't say for sure.

What I like it's non greasy and it's easily spread, but for something similar and better performance, I will pick the perfect UV protector. Too bad this one doesn't live to my expectation because I see people raved about this :( maybe because the content is changed (more active ingredients)? so it tends to be more drying and leave a white cast?

Pick this one up if you have pale skin, oily skin, and less sensitive, and I'm sure you'll love this.

on 7/18/2013 12:14:00 AM

i personally like this one a lot. the white cast doesn't bother me because im pretty pale. it absorbs very fast and leaves a very matte finish. also love the high protection coverage. my face never gets burned when i wear this stuff. price is a bit much but i stock up from sephora when i have a coupon

on 6/14/2013 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Bought this product once about a month ago, was obsessed! Absolutely loved it, I finally found a great sunscreen! Went back this week to pick up another , as I was running low. I got it home and realized the box looked a little different than I remember. I still had the old one and I compared. The new product no longer has the PA+++ on it anymore. And the amount of sunscreen had been almost cut in half. Went back to Macy's and asked and she said its the same product it just can no longer have PA+++ on the package. I told her about the sunscreen being cut in half and she didn't know anything about it. I ended up keeping it, thinking ill keep it as a back up and use it for now, until I kind yet another. It's awful!!!! It's not the same consistency, there is an awful white cast, it never seems to rub in entirely. It is absolutely awful! Why do they do that?!?! Would never repurchase. Save your money!!

on 5/14/2013 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i can't believe we have to pay 30$ for 1oz in the US for something you can find in Japan or other parts of Asia for around <10$

complete highway robbery, i see what you did there, Shiseido
well played, well played....

Alternatives, any of the ds japanese ss like biore UV face milk or something a little pricier like Sekkisei Sun protector (35$ for 2oz)

on 5/13/2013 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is without a doubt the BEST sunblock I have ever used on my face. It is very expensive, but worth it. A small amount covers my entire face, dries to a satiny-matte finish, does not make my oily skin any oilier, and does NOT leave any white cast. I have had no breakouts, clogged pores, or any other problems with this. I use a pore-refining primer first, then this, and apply my BB cream over it. I LOVE the finish and HIGHLY recommend this product for oily skinned gals like me!

on 4/25/2013 6:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

oh yes, super light weight and it disappear in seconds into your skin. it has both chemical and natural sunscreen ingredients. non shinning and no strong smell, very matte. i dont know about the claim that it protects the urban environment, i am doubtful that it does anything apart from the sun UVA UVB.

on 3/31/2013 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a great sunscreen for summer time use. It is very light, non-greasy, and absorbs very well so you can re-apply it during the day as needed.

on 3/31/2013 12:15:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This sunscreen is amazing. I use a ton of it and it just melds into my skin and feels and looks like nothing at all. My freckles are fading since i started using this. Since I use so much, I can go through a bottle in less than a month.The only bad thing I can say about it is that it is expensive. I have already repurchased it though, because it is that good.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this product. Out of three sunblocks I have tried this year, Lancome, two different Peter Thomas Roth products and now Shiseido, this is the one I love so far. I am very fair-skinned. I don't like to tan. I don't see any point to it. I like my fair skin. If I go out in the sun without protection, I start to sprout a few freckles automatically and there goes my fair complexion. With that being said, here's my review.
I believe in protecting my skin. I've had one bad sunburn in my life. One. That's how much I believe in protection. I'm adamant about it. I will not go outside without something on my skin. The other three that I've tried did their jobs, yes, but not without a feeling of goopiness in doing it. I use serums, moisturizers and in the winter sometimes a foundation and in the summer, I'll use a tinted moisturizer. The problem with those tinted moisturizers is that they are not strong enough with their sunscreen spf's. So I need to add an additional sunscreen.
Shiseido's Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector For Face SPF 42 is perfect to add to my regimen. The bottle is small enough to tuck into my purse. It has a little ball in it so when you shake it, it blends well. The top screws off and doesn't leak.
Applying it is a breeze. It's light and greaseless. That's exactly what I wanted in a sunscreen when I would be applying it on top of other products. I didn't want a greasy look that I would have to tone down with a powder. It actually gives me a matte type finish. It is white but doesn't give me a white face. Perhaps that's because I'm so fair-skinned. I live in the North, but so far, I have not seen any freckles and it's too early to tell about any sunburn. I never really go out sunning so that's not really a concern.
What I do know is that application is a breeze on top of other products, it's lasting, a little spreads easily across my skin, it's blendable and the scent is quite pleasant. When I run out, I'm buying another, without a doubt. I won't waste my money on trying another brand, because I've found one that works. Non-greasy, non-shiny, spreadable, doesn't turn my face white, keeps my face from burning, works with other products on my face? What more could I ask for? My HG of suncare.