July 24, 2014 | 1868 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by kitty55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is without a doubt the BEST sunblock I have ever used on my face. It is very expensive, but worth it. A small amount covers my entire face, dries to a satiny-matte finish, does not make my oily skin any oilier, and does NOT leave any white cast. I have had no breakouts, clogged pores, or any other problems with this. I use a pore-refining primer first, then this, and apply my BB cream over it. I LOVE the finish and HIGHLY recommend this product for oily skinned gals like me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 6:43:00 AM More reviews by hippodeem

oh yes, super light weight and it disappear in seconds into your skin. it has both chemical and natural sunscreen ingredients. non shinning and no strong smell, very matte. i dont know about the claim that it protects the urban environment, i am doubtful that it does anything apart from the sun UVA UVB.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by intelsana

This is a great sunscreen for summer time use. It is very light, non-greasy, and absorbs very well so you can re-apply it during the day as needed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2013 12:15:00 AM More reviews by sandrabati

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen is amazing. I use a ton of it and it just melds into my skin and feels and looks like nothing at all. My freckles are fading since i started using this. Since I use so much, I can go through a bottle in less than a month.The only bad thing I can say about it is that it is expensive. I have already repurchased it though, because it is that good.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product. Out of three sunblocks I have tried this year, Lancome, two different Peter Thomas Roth products and now Shiseido, this is the one I love so far. I am very fair-skinned. I don't like to tan. I don't see any point to it. I like my fair skin. If I go out in the sun without protection, I start to sprout a few freckles automatically and there goes my fair complexion. With that being said, here's my review.
I believe in protecting my skin. I've had one bad sunburn in my life. One. That's how much I believe in protection. I'm adamant about it. I will not go outside without something on my skin. The other three that I've tried did their jobs, yes, but not without a feeling of goopiness in doing it. I use serums, moisturizers and in the winter sometimes a foundation and in the summer, I'll use a tinted moisturizer. The problem with those tinted moisturizers is that they are not strong enough with their sunscreen spf's. So I need to add an additional sunscreen.
Shiseido's Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector For Face SPF 42 is perfect to add to my regimen. The bottle is small enough to tuck into my purse. It has a little ball in it so when you shake it, it blends well. The top screws off and doesn't leak.
Applying it is a breeze. It's light and greaseless. That's exactly what I wanted in a sunscreen when I would be applying it on top of other products. I didn't want a greasy look that I would have to tone down with a powder. It actually gives me a matte type finish. It is white but doesn't give me a white face. Perhaps that's because I'm so fair-skinned. I live in the North, but so far, I have not seen any freckles and it's too early to tell about any sunburn. I never really go out sunning so that's not really a concern.
What I do know is that application is a breeze on top of other products, it's lasting, a little spreads easily across my skin, it's blendable and the scent is quite pleasant. When I run out, I'm buying another, without a doubt. I won't waste my money on trying another brand, because I've found one that works. Non-greasy, non-shiny, spreadable, doesn't turn my face white, keeps my face from burning, works with other products on my face? What more could I ask for? My HG of suncare.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Mikeswife

This is a fluid sunscreen with a higher SPF, suitable for wearing under makeup. It is my HG sunscreen for any time I wear base makeup.

Price: At $30 for 1 ounce, this stuff certainly isn't inexpensive. I read up on the pros and cons of choosing a sunscreen vs a moisturizer with SPF and ultimately decided that separate products (meaning an extra step in the morning) was the way I wanted to go. I had this and two products from Clinique (Cityblock Sheer and Sun) on my list to try, and got a sample of this off ebay to start.

Packaging: snap top, easy to handle.

Product: I stopped at the Clinique counter (in mid-winter) and was able to test their Cityblock Sheer without help, but had to get the salesperson to dig a tube of Sun out of a drawer, as they normally don't display that until summer. As a comparison, I think both of Clinique's products are certainly a good value--neither was overly scented, or felt sticky, heavy, or tacky on the skin--everything you'd want in a product you're going to put something over (like foundation). However, I felt the texture of Clinique Sun was definitely more like a sunscreen you'd wear sans makeup for a day at the beach, and the Cityblock Sheer I tried was tinted, which I don't need under makeup. I'll be looking at CBS again for the summer when I tend to ease off a full makeup routine. However, both of the Clinique products--which was absolutely not the case with the Shiseido--were thick enough that they required squeezing to get them from their respective tube containers, and I had a fair amount of separation oil in my hand from the CBS, which I'm fairly sure can be remedied by vigorous shaking.

In any case, UE from Shiseido had the best application and feel of the three--it's a lightweight fluid that pours from the packaging and disappears into my skin like water. My skin is dry and was fairly acne-prone a few years back, but after using this for about 3 weeks, I haven't had any issues at all with breakouts. I use this over my regular moisturizer, and then apply my foundation on top without issue. Best of all, after deciding I wanted to continue to use this product (despite its high price tag), I was able to find some on sale. This is good stuff and definitely worth it if you can stomach the price tag.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This dried out my skin and caused some irritation bumps. My skin is oily as well as dehydrated, so anything with alcohol dries it out easily. Also, this contains ethylhexl palmitate, which can be problematic for some acne-prones; I believe it caused some zits I got while using this sunscreen. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 12:01:00 AM More reviews by tootswoots

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been buying this sunscreen for years now. I used to use the more waterproof one but now I use this "urban protection" one. It's an excellent product. As I use rentinoid creams on my face I need solid sun protection. this has not let me down!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Anon00

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Another great product from Shiseido. I've only been very pleased with all of Shiseido's sun protection products. I think they are all great. I wanted to submit a review for its classic 55 SPF lotion, but I see it's been discontinued. I learned that the new 50+ is the same thing, it's just that the FDA doesn't allow brands to list SPF with figures of over 50 anymore or something like that.

For the classic blue 50+/55 SPF, I used that for years. It protected my skin from years of surfing, swimming, and all kinds of outdoor activities under the harsh sun in California and Hawaii. It's a tried and trued product loved among surfers as well. Anyway, it doesn't leave me looking like a ghost. Sure, it may appear that way at first, but don't use too much and spread it evenly, massage it into your face. I pat mine in very well and my skin tone looks natural. It's a great primer as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by swtxdreams

Great product. I've tried all the sunscreens from sephora to try to find one that's not too oily and still offers good protection. This product fits all the requirements. Also, it has not broken me out (but I do double cleanse) I've also used the clarins sunscreen , which is very similar. I've compared the two side by side and noticed clairins is a tad creamier. I don't want to say oilier but maybe a little bit but it dries quickly. Overall, this is priced better than clarins's.