November 25, 2014 | 1741 users online

Palettes - LORAC - Unzipped

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Foleych

Forewarning: My review is also a comparison to Urban Decay's Naked 3, which I explain below why I did this. If you are thinking about getting one over the other, this might be useful.

So I am a total eyeshadow junkie but originally thought that this palette was unnecessary because I have Naked 3 and pretty much all the neutral palettes (Naked 1, Basics, Lorac Pro, etc.) When I saw this, it was pretty but nothing outstanding, so I walked on by it in Ulta. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later I was on YouTube and people kept talking about it and saying it was a warmer version of Naked 3 that I started to relook at it. 2 or 3 of my favorite gurus said that they loved Naked 3, but it was too many cool tones to do a variety of different looks and that they had to pull from other palettes to make a complete look and to warm up the eye. I don't remember who said that this palette was perfect for that, but that's what sold me. This was going to be my companion palette to Naked 3.

I went to Ulta that night and did some swatching. I love the warmer more neutral tones of this rosey brown palette and the pigmentation is on point!!!!! It only has 8 colors compared to Naked 3's 12, but the pans are considerably larger so I feel the amount of actual product your getting more than makes up for that. They are buttery smooth, very blendable and glide onto the eye. The colors as I have stated are warmer and more neutral (less pink) than my Naked 3 and the variety of matte and shimmer colors is better than N3, IMHO. I feel like this palette has more/better transition colors and the highlight isn't super shimmer and warmer than the one N3. The eyeshadow in general is less dry/chalky and I feel like it blends better and there is less fallout than with the N3. There are also a couple of the pinkier shades in N3 that are glittery and chunkier. This has it's place, but does not really lend itself to everyday use, whereas, the Unzipped has shimmer shades, they are smooth and can easily lend themselves to daytime looks. Nobody wants to look like Barbie at the office, which N3 can border on if your not careful.

The packaging is not as fancy as N3, definitely more simplistic. Its just a book style with a magnetic lid to keep it closed. It is very slim, probably my skinniest palette, which I really like because this palette is even small enough to carry in a purse and great for travel. The mirror in it is large, which I also like for the previously stated reason of travel. The N3 case is sturdier, tin? I got mine at Ulta for $40, which is $12 less than N3 and I got a generous sample of the Lorac eye primer which I really like. It's comparable to my staple Milani, with it's squeeze tube packaging and the consistency of the product. This is where Lorac beats N3. Previously, when UD releases a palette they gave generous sample sizes of their primer potion. This was not the case with N3. They gave 1 use samples of their 4 different primers, which I did not like as much. UD N3 does come with a really nice double ended brush, one side good for blending the other for packing on color. This brush is nice and I do like using it.

I bought the Unzipped palette to compliment my N3 and found that I do just the opposite. I am fair with blonde hair and blue eyes so I do need to keep the tones a little warmer than the N3 allows. If I don't the pink looks make me look tired or a little sickly. I don't have this problem with the Unzipped.

Overall: This is my new go to. I'm picking it up over all my other palettes and have been for several weeks. The texture and quality of the shadows, the user friendly hues and blendability and universality of this palette far exceeded all initial expectations and I'm so glad I picked this up. If your thinking about it, just do it. Especially because this palette is a little more wallet friendly then some of the other palettes out right now.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 10:46:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

The colors alone sold me on this nude palette, over the UD Nakeds and the MAC. I love the warm rosy gold shades and find that they all suit me (NC30-ish) really well. The colors all go really well together, and for an eyeshadow simpleton like myself -- I never really use more than 2-3 shades at a time -- this palette is a no-brainer. I do wish there was more of the matte vanilla shade, though. I can see myself using that one up quickly as it's a great base!

I've never tried LORAC eyeshadow before this palette, and the quality of the shadows is so nice: they're soft and creamy with hardly any fallout, well-pigmented, and last all day (I do not have oily lids, though). I haven't needed to try the eye primer that came with the set. The shimmery shades are also not overly sparkly, so they are all very wearable during the day.

It would be a little nicer if the packaging was metal or plastic instead of cardboard, but I like everything else about the case. It's cute, a nice handy size, opens and shuts without any problems, and has a reasonable sized mirror inside. Plus, there is no useless brush to fall out of it. Overall, I'm really happy with this palette and would definitely repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 5:35:00 AM More reviews by beccaw

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was my first ever high end make up purchase. I am soooo in love with these eyeshadows! They are neutral but lean more toward a bronze/burgundy neutral than a brown neutral. These are warm neutrals- not cool neutrals, and all the shadows range from matte to very subtle shimmer to not so subtle shimmer. Mostly they are matte and very subtle shimmer, which was my main concern as I've found other palettes with gorgeous colors that were mostly too shimmery/glittery for my taste. Not only are the colors beautiful, the consistency of the shadows is heavenly. Very creamy and soft! I tried them out both with and without primer. They last much better with primer, but even without primer they still looked great through a 12 hour workshift! Without primer they did crease a tiny bit, but the color overall didn't fade at all! The only downside is the packaging. The palette container is made out of thick cardboard. Although the design on it is cute, the package itself seems cheap and flimsy. I don't really care about that but if you are someone who puts a lot of importance on packaging aesthetics then you may be dissappointed. After wearing these I don't beleive I'll ever be truly happy with drugstore eyeshadow again....will have to save up to feed my high end eyeshadow addiction lol.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 9:19:00 PM More reviews by GirlyRunnerGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this palette. It is my only palette but I am eyeing others now! I love the warm tones of the shadows on my fair olive skin and blue eyes. Would totally recommend! Ok the other hand I didn't like the primer at all. Shadows creased really bad. I prefer UDPP.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by Shellikins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wowza, my new HG of eyeshadow palettes. Each color prettier and more wearable than the last one, and you get a lot of each product. I'm in my 50's so just can't do sparkle anymore, or unnatural shades. These colors are lovely, with a soft wash of shimmer that I feel comfortable pulling off No longer at Sephora, but now available at Kohls and Ulta.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Lforde46

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I rarely gush about eye shadows but I adore this palette! I'm pretty flaky about shadows and bounce back and forth between lemmings but this is the one I reach for the most, with UD Naked 2 and Naked 3 right behind it.

Pros:
Simple, light weight packaging. I don't mind the cardboard or that it doesn't come with its own brush.
Undiscovered, Unattainable and Uncensored are all PANNED! My go-to look!

Cons:
At $40, it's a bit pricey for 10 shadows in a cardboard box, but considering the results and the frequency of use I feel that I've gotten my money's worth. I would buy again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 12:41:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm underwhelmed by this palette. The packaging cardboard, which bothers me about Lorac, although I do love the Lorac Pro palette. Unzipped is not something that I would tell people to run out and buy. The colors are okay, but they all seem very similar when I apply them to the eyes. They all seem to pull orange on me which isn't what you'd think by looking at them in the pan. It's very odd. I'm quite fair so that may be a factor. I find that I can't do an eyeshadow look with this one palette, for whatever reason it never looks good alone on me. As for pigmentation it's pretty good. It's similar to the Pro palette with the buttery consistency of the shadows. To be honest, I would return it if I could! I'm just not wowed like the other reviewers seem to be, which is disappointing really.
To add to the whole Naked 3 versus Lorac Unzipped conversation, I personally prefer the Naked 3. The Naked 3 is more neutral/cool while Unzipped is far warmer. They're not that similar in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by 2010

I have the N3 as well and I like the Unzipped much more. The.colours are.blendable and very flattering.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Aycee10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this eye palette! All the colors work great with my very fair neutral skin tone. Even though is has less color choices, I prefer this to the pro palette. There is no comparing this to the naked 3 palette, they r just not the same. I own both the N3 and Unzipped and I would grab this over the N3 every time! The colors just suit me better. Get this palette!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by newyork00

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used my 20% off UIta coupon on this so it was only 32 dollars, which is a steal for the amount of eye shadow you get. This looks much more wearable than Naked 3, which seems to have a lot of light pink and create looks that would appeal more to girls in their 20s. With the coupon it was also 20 dollars less than the Naked 3 and, unlike N3, there is not a dud to be found. The main reason I bought this is because of the rave reviews, which are all true. It is very easy to put on, great pigmentation, and it is a dream to blend. Definitely worth the money!