October 31, 2014 | 1672 users online

Styling Products - Not Your Mother's - Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 8:52:00 AM More reviews by LazyLittleLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was obsessed with B&B Surf Spray but I just couldn't justify that kind of money for a salt spray. I ran across some reviews of this and it sounded like a perfect replacement. It is easy to use on either damp or dry hair. It has a very pleasant coconut scent and I love that you can lock the nozzle so its great to travel with. I actually like this a lot more after chopping off most of my hair...its a bit shorter than shoulder length now. I have hair that looks great the first day and then falls flat the second. I use this as a second day spray and blow dry for volume. I have very straight hair, so this doesn't make any waves, though it did a bit when it was longer. I recommend spraying it on damp hair and putting it up in a bun for longer hair. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 6:58:00 AM More reviews by lyssaw519

I love this stuff! I use this on my "second day" hair by soaking my dry hair with it at night and French braiding my hair. The next morning I take the braid out and scrunch a little hair spray in and my hair has beachy waves that last all day! My hair is naturally straight, fine, and damaged and never holds a curl so for my hair to be wavy all day is amazing. This stuff works great and smells good too. HG product for me!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

I wish this worked for me. While this does smell amazing, it just makes my hair look unkempt. I gave this to my 13 year-old sister.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I used up an entire bottle of Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray in less than 2 months, and did not want to buy another bottle (which is super tiny and I have long hair, plus for salt water the price is outrageous for the amount in my opinion).

This stuff is the best I have tried from the drugstore. I tried L'oreal's version but the smell was obnoxious, over-powering and lasted so long I could smell it on my jacket 4 days later. . yuck. That went into the bin. I then tried SunSilk (spray nozzle broke after 3rd use, discontinued now I think, but a bit too drying) and it Surf Spray (also great and I use this as well). But for smell, formula and price Beach Babe is best! It has a nice suntan lotion smell, easy to spray with a slightly pointed nozzle and costs less than $5. I've had the same bottle for 4 months now and lots left.

It gives my straight, flat but thick hair volume and a perfect "un-done" tousled texture I love but is hard to get with long, stick straight hair. I just mist on a small amount all over my hair when it's slightly damp, but not right out of the shower. When it's completely dry I go over the roots again for volume. I don't want my hair super messy - but when this spray is used lightly it gives great volume and texture without looking like you haven't combed your hair since last week. Very happy a company other than B&B got this right! I would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by mmccartney

This product gives me good texture but not necessarily waves. The coconut and ocean smell is fantastic. Also, the packaging on this one is great; you can lock the top so it won't make a mess traveling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Like many women who came of age in the early 2000s, I am still mourning the loss of John Frieda's Beach Blonde Wave Spray and all of the middle school memories and that really saccharine sweet bubblegum pop commercial with the two blonde twins that were associated with it. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Frieda discontinued the product and one of the few good hair choices I made pre-2006 was no longer available, so I've been on the search for a texturizer similar to Beach Waves since.

There are a lot of imitators to the throne, most are familiar with Bumble and Bumble's surf spray but I found it didn't really do much for my hair and the price point is ridiculous. Frieda came out with several wave sprays, but none matched what he had originally put out. A good texturizer with sea salt needs to also have a fair amount of conditioning/smoothing in it for it to "cure" into piecey perfection rather than just be dried out and frizz-producing and nobody was getting the formula right. I had spent way too much money and eventually just assumed that I'd never find a product comparable, but one day at Ulta I ended up telling my over dramatic tale to a sales associate and she being of the same age understood and pointed me to this.

I am thrilled to say a drugstore priced product has finally gotten back on track and that this is about as close to Beach Waves as anyone will probably get. With this, I do a light mist over damp hair and then do a few more sprays over my ends before twisting it up into a loose bun and letting it activate my waves. The silicone in this help everything separate the way they ought to and then when the salt dries everything comes into place, activating my wavy hair into mermaid texture. If I need a little more moisture with this, I'll add a few drops of jojoba oil in and shake and that helps it get closer to BW perfection. The scent here is nice as well and isn't overpowering. I'm not too keen on the packaging as I find that it's not super airtight and dried up salt tends to build up around the top of the bottle and on the nozzle. . I'm just glad there's a suitable drugstore option here and I'm not shelling out $25 for Bumble and Bumble's non-performing beach brine.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Raeshelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

this stuff is really good! it really holds nice texture. I have medium texture hair and its oily as well. Its also really thick. I spray this all around to my curls, waves or crimps to keep the texture, and i love it. My favorite time to use it is for my messy buns. It gives that "perfect messy bun" look and holds well. I really feel like im going to the beach when I use it. loving it! Cheers! <3 P.S. it has real sea salt in it so it really is salty...DONT get any in your eyes or mouth!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

I have VERY short fine hair and don't always want or have time to screw with it. This just adds a little texture to my hair so it's not totally flat but not like the pastes that take so much time and effort not to gunk your hair in one spot.

For thos that gave it a bad rating that I read. It's not a "big hair" product. If you are looking for that go for Big Sexy Hair products or the pastes that are out there. Because it is a liquid it may not work as well on heavier, thicker, kinkier hair. Again think you might want to look into a heavier product to get the relaxed beachy tossled look..

Love the smell. I've just spritz this in when I've been somewhere where people have been smoking or something similar and my hair grabs the stinky smell. This takes it out fast without using the dry shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 2:30:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

To all the people complaining about the dryness come come now...it does state that it is a Salt spray. It is supposed to give you that messy/wavy beach look, that's what these sprays are intended for. If you want neat smoother looking waves then get a styling cream put some on your hair while it is damp (one'n'only argan styling cream is a good one) tousle your hair put it up in a bun and let it down after its partially dry and finish with some serum. But if you want the messy surfer girl kinda waves than this spray does serve its purpose. I use it with the styling cream to combat excessive dryness and frizz but it creates nice texture. You can also use a diffuser if your too impatient to air dry. However if you have color treated hair I wouldnt go this route to get waves since the salt will obviously fade your color out. Other than that the price is good the bottle is cute and it smells like coconut! Idk about you but thats a plus in my book -_^

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 2:14:00 AM More reviews by xenobia1968

I adore this stuff! I spray it on my damp hair, scrunch and go! It gives that nice beachy, grunge look that is totally awesome and I love the way it makes my hair smell...yummy! Highly recommend! I just started using it so will update if there are any changes in my review. Somehow I think I'll be loving this for a long long time! :-)