New York Color Instant Lash Mascara

Price: $

on 11/18/2012 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I really dig this mascara. I bought it on a whim at Walmart because I was feeling adventurous and it only cost a dollar. I am impressed! No, it's not perfect by any means, but for a freaking dollar? Pretty awesome. The formula is right in the middle in terms of consistency; not too thick and not too watery. It has a simple, straight brush which coats lashes well and easily (bottom lashes too).

It clumps a tiny bit, but nothing unbearable or tragic. It's a good 'natural' mascara that's buildable, and it's really dark. I think the simple packaging is cute, nice and slim, perfect to toss in your purse.

This mascara does flake a bit, and it makes my lashes feel crunchy once it's dry. It isn't a huge deal since I don't make a habit of touching my eyelashes, but sometimes my lashes can look a bit crispy when I wear this.

Despite that, I will definitely repurchase this bad boy, and I've already recommended it to other people.

on 11/7/2012 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Flaked/didn't do much for my lashes.

on 10/23/2012 10:34:00 AM

Personally not a fan for this $1.77 mascara. It did nothing positive for my lashes, just left them in big ugly clumps of shame. The formula was thick and kind of sticky making it impossible to coat threw my lashes.

I am constantly amazed by how products so cheap can work so well..

This may not be the most volumizing mascara, but for only 1.77 CAD it defines, lengthens, and holds a curl beautifully with absolutely no smudges or flakes. My previous favourite had been l'oreal voluminous but I had to finall accept that it smudged on me when my skunk became more oily but I can put this on my lower lashes with no problems.

It comes in a Long blue tube and a very long , thin comb-like wand which grabs the lashes amazingly.

Looks great on its own and layered on top of a volumizer, plus it's easy to remove (a huge factor for me because i don't want my mascara damaging my lashes)

on 9/22/2012 4:42:00 PM

I am definitely a NYC fan. Love their Smooth Skin makeup and now I found another product I really like. This mascara is very lengthening, layers well, and still has a natural look. I just wish I could find it in the black brown shade, like their discontinued waterproof mascara. I like this more than Maybelline's Lash Stiletto and it's much cheaper.

on 9/16/2012 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Let me start by saying, I didn't expect much from this, but I was surprised. This is one of my favorite mascaras, and no not because it is only one dollar. This mascara does not clump, at all. That is a rare find in mascaras, you can layer and layer this stuff and the lashes still look perfectly separated. This is definitely a lengthening mascara, not a voluminizing one. When you apply one coat your lashes look natural, but they do stand out. Usually when I hear natural with mascara, I yawn and say next, but this one is different. It makes you look like you were born with absolutely fabulous lashes. But you can apply layer after layer and the drama will build. I love it, and I am finicky when it comes to mascaras. The only con, is it can flake a tad, but I can forgive that. I will definitely buy this again.

on 9/15/2012 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like voluminous long lashes. This gives me that great long, dark look that I want on a more natural/neutral look day. This doesn't give me the volume I want most days, but it is a great mascara for a look that is you, but slightly enhanced. This is a great basic mascara that is soft (not stiff) and incredibly affordable! I would highly recommend if you are look for a basic lengthening mascara.

I have worn it for many hours and have had no eye irritation from it, which is sometimes a problem. There was some minimal transfer to my under eye area, but I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't do that.

Check this out. If you don't like it then you aren't out much money. Hope you like it! :)

on 8/29/2012 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think it's important to differentiate between 'cheap' and 'good'. Many of the good ratings here will be because this product is good *for its price* rather than good in absolute terms. I found it to be perfectly fine for use when there's nothing better around. It coated and separated OK and took several hours to migrate, but migrate it did (slightly). The effect is not especially volumising or lengthening. It's fine, inoffensive, quite usable, but nothing to write home about.

on 8/8/2012 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Edit: I am changing to I will not rebuy. This is due to the brush NOT the mascara. For my lashes, the brush doesn't have the bristles close enough together to apply the product the way I like it go on without fussing with my lashes afterwards.

Great mascara, no smudging after wearing a full day in the heat. Washes off very easily. Lashes look lovely.
Will rebuy!

on 7/23/2012 10:37:00 AM

ok u guys were right again. awsome basic mascara that does not smudge even after all day wear on my stubby downward asian eyelashes! no scent or irritation or burning on my uber sensitive eyes! i used to use 2000 calorie by max factor( discontinued ) which is so very similar however mf thickens as well so what i found is i use instant lash as a base for lengthening, wait for it to dry then curl ( this mascara does not stick to curler at all and actually helps lashes curl better!) then go over it with nyc showtime mascara for thickening and volume...voila! love the effect and smudge free all day and my lashes look zactly the same at the end of the day as the morning! fyi i had to keep checking around at all the walmarts to find this so when i did i bought all 6 that were left on the shelf...at $1 big deal now im stocked :} fyi i was using physicians formula basic organic wear mascara which was great at lengthening anf thickening but smudged soooo bad

Top Rated New York Color Products