April 17, 2014 | 1938 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Sensitive Facial Cleanser with Cotton Extract

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by boscoe7777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mild cleanser is too creamy for me. It has a mild clean scent which I found to be pleasant. I do like the flip top cap on the tube. The cream feels like it just sits on top of the skin and does ot seem to rinse off completely. This may bebeneficial for someone with super dry skin. My skin is normal-to-dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2012 3:39:00 AM More reviews by Angeluhh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very pleasant cleanser to use. It's quite mild and doesn't irritate my drama-queen skin, and the scent--inherent to the ingredients, not added--is quite pleasant. It's a good one to use in the morning before a lighter moisturizer, as it doesn't leave any dryness. If you're looking for a heavy-duty cleanser to take your makeup off, though, look elsewhere. This works best for dry, sensitive skin coated only in the amount of grime one acquires passively through being alive.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 12:28:00 PM More reviews by lol392

This stuff didn't irritate my sensitive skin and it actually smells good. Kind of natural smelling but not nasty. It's kind of sweet.

I don't know how well it removes makeup because I don't wear any.
I am not prone to actual acne and it didn't break out my skin.
The only problem I noticed its that it takes longer to rinse, so I recommend you to use a wet facecloth to wipe it off after 'lathering'.

But it keeps my skin really soft and makes it go back to normal after I use it after taking a shower and also before I go to sleep.
It is a perfect alternative to what I use in the winter (Eczema Moisturizing Wash, though I don't have eczema).

Will be repurchasing!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by AutumnBliss

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This says it will cleanse away dirt, oil and makeup. It didn't cleanse away makeup. So, I use this in conjunction with morning routine before makeup. It feels almost like your using a moisturizer to cleanse your face. Doesn't lather, very creamy feel to it. I like this for my morning routine. Takes more time to rinse as well. My face actually feels moisturized after using BB sensitive. I can see how this may be beneficial for dry sensitive skin. If I repurchase, it will more than likely be in the winter months when my face tends to be dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2012 11:10:00 PM More reviews by ilikestripes5

I received this free as I'm a BzzAgent. I didn't really like this cleanser. It doesn't lather at all and the texture is like a thick moisturiser. It doesn't wash off that well and it didn't make my face clean. As a possible consequence, I ended up breaking out. This might be good if you have very, very dry skin, otherwise I'd try something else.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Yum3ji

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: The Burt's Bees Natural Skin Solutions for Sensitive Skin line is naturally gentle and skin-friendly for daily use. Softening cotton extract helps replenish the outer layer, shielding it from potential irritants such as harsh soaps or cleansers so your sensitive skin will look and feel beautiful, naturally. All products in the Sensitive Skin line are fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, allergy-tested, non-comedogenic and 99% natural. These products can be found at Shopper's Drug Mart and Wal-Mart nationwide. Made in USA.

The soap-free Burt's Bee's Sensitive Facial Cleanser is clinically proven to moisturize sensitive skin while gently cleansing away dirt, oil and makeup without over drying, causing redness or irritation. Also, it contains quillaja, which is extracted from the bark of the soapbark tree and provides a natural foaming lather. In addition, it contains yucca, a desert plant high in saponins, which have traditionally been used in cleansing.

Directions: Wet face and apply cleanser with fingertips or a wet washcloth, massaging gently, and avoiding contact with the eye area. Rinse thoroughly. Pat skin dry. For best results, follow with Sensitive Daily Moisturizing Cream in the morning and Sensitive Night Cream in the evening.

MY THOUGHTS: As a member of BzzAgent (bzzagent.com), I received a free 170 g tube of Burt's Bees Sensitive Facial Cleanser during one of their early 2012 campaigns which regularly retails for $12.99 CAD.

The packaging consists of a matte egg-white tube with a white flip cap making it ideal for gravity fed applications and chemical stability (i.e.photodegradation). Meanwhile, the thick, creamy cleanser has a Gold Bond moisturizer consistency with a faint chemical fragrance that becomes a non-tacky milky texture upon contact with water.

Compared to my preferred facial cream cleansers (i.e. Shiseido, Kanebo), I find I need to dispense at least 10 times the usual amount to adequately cover my face when using a cleansing brush. I imagine it wouldn't take long to empty a tube which may be of importance when considering costs. In addition, because this cleanser is so emollient it (a) mattes the bristles on the cleansing brush, even after rinsing, and (b) renders a daily moisturizer to be superfluous. Fortunately, I didn't find this cleanser to be drying; however, there were some initial breakouts.

It is important to note that this cleanser does not lather in the traditional sense (i.e., foam, bubbles) which is often credited to surfactants like sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Despite the effectiveness of SLS, when above a certain percentage it can cause irritation in some people with sensitive skin. Instead, Burt's Bees uses emollient surfactants like cetyl alcohol which protect the skin from moisture loss--commonly used in moisturizers and conditioners. Note: cream cleansers are generally recommended for individuals with dry or sensitive skin as it doesn't strip the skin of protective oils leading to dry, irritated skin that gel cleansers often do. Because cream cleansers are so gentle, I would recommend using a makeup remover prior to using this product.

In regards to marketing claims, the terms "fragrance-free," "hypoallergenic," "dermatologist-tested," "allergy-tested," "non-comedogenic" and "99% natural" have no official or government definition, standards or verification. Thus it is not meaningful and can be deceptive. However, the product does brand the Leaping Bunny logo which signifies adherence to standards and verification by an audit once every three years by an independent assessor commissioned by the CCIC.

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (water, eau), Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, Glycerin, Cetyl alcohol, Cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), Sucrose stearate, Cetearyl alcohol, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, Gossypium herbaceum (cotton) flower extract, Oryza sativa (rice) extract, Beta vulgaris (beet, extrait de racine de betterave) root extract, Quillaja saponaria bark extract, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Yucca schidigera leaf/root/stem extract, Artemisia umbelliformis extract, Euphrasia officinalis extract, Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, Saccharum officinarum (sugar cane, extrait de canne sucre) extract, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Silica, Sucrose, Fructose, Glucose, Coco-glucoside, Inositol, Maltodextrin, Citric acid, Benzoic acid, Trehalose, Xanthan gum, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, CI 77947 (zinc oxide), Alcohol denat., Phenoxyethanol.

MYSELF: I'm an Euro-Canadian with combination and sensitive skin that is prone to clogged pores (Baumann skin type: OSPW). continued >>

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by alisha_the_kitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this for my combination, acne-prone skin. My skin gets flaky and prone to dryness because of the Differin cream that I use, especially in the winter. So, I thought that maybe this cream-based facial cleanser would be helpful.

As others have noted, this leaves a waxy type of film over the skin - most likely due to the beeswax or cocoa butter content. I'm not sure how much it actually even cleanses my skin, though at least it didn't break my skin out (that I know of). It didn't cause any dryness or irritation either.

I managed to use this up, but I wouldn't buy this again. It wasn't worth the money I spent on it, really.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by BreAnn21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a full size tube during my BzzAgent campaign for free. This stuff is awful. I really wanted to like it but it doesn't clean anything off your face and takes forever to rinse. I'm not looking for a squeaky clean feeling but atleast one where there isn't a thick film left on your face after rinsing it off. It claims to remove make up - it doesn't.

I will not be buying another one!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2012 8:59:00 AM More reviews by VAmom

Bought this on impulse because B-Bees products are so popular here. Thick product; seems hard to control how much comes out of squeeze tube. The deal breaker for me (why I won't re-purchase) is scent-it smells like PAINT to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:38:00 AM More reviews by moggi

I like the Sensitive Night Creme, so I decided to give the cleanser a try. The consistency is thick, more like a creme than a foam or gel. As some other reviewers have noted, when you wash the product off, it leaves a light film on the skin. But it absorbs quickly and doesn't feel greasy. I think it also has a moisturizing effect. I recommend this cleanser for those with dry and sensitive skin.