Elie Saab-Le Parfum

3.6

on 1/8/2013 11:44:00 AM

Yet another in the "worth damming with faint praise" category:
first off: I'm a fan of FK, so am apt to be wanting to like his creations. The primary problem with Elie Saab-Le Parfum is that the bar has been raised by Bottega Venetta, when it comes to mass-market releases by fashion houses. If I didn't have the leathery yumminess of BV to compare this to, I might have been more impressed.
This is a very generic/synthetic (hate to use that word, as I'm not at all into natural perfumery and all ingredients in my favorite perfumes come from a lab. However, this juice smells like something that came as a gift-with-purchase with a pleather couch. It smells like plastic flowers. And not in a good way).
Pro: It's very generically "pretty" and is a big compliment-getter. Three in one day (when NO ONE mentions I smell good when I wear L'Heure Bleue at work. Something is seriously wrong with our society). It reads as "pretty clean perfume".
It's got HUGE longevity. 2 small squirts from sample lasted from 7AM until 7PM bath.
Good sillage.
Well, good if you like the actual sillage it's trailing behind you.
Cheap. Available just about anywhere. You'll never run out and have to wait for Luckyscent to mail you a new bottle.

Con: I already said it. Bor-ing. Plastic thin rendition of something vaguely floral, bolstered by a very persistent screechy patchouli (doesn't read as patchouli for all you patch haters, but that's what it is) base. Smells like something you bought at the mall.

Reviews that call this "radiant" and "veil-like" are huffing something else than this juice. FK is a boy-wonder in the world of perfume and I own several of his own house's creations. However, a light hand he does not have. This means that when he comes up with something that's not so good, it's REALLY not so good. It will hit you like a ton of bricks repeatedly until you beg for mercy. That is his M.O. If you love the honeyed rose cumin of Absolue pour le Soir as I do, you will get it. In spades. For days. But if you hate it you will wish you could purchase something a bit stronger than lye at the corner drugstore to scrape it off your skin.

Now, with all of this said: I think this would make a great scent for my mom on whom all her old chypres turn to vinegar (oh the ravages of age on our chemistry), but who can now rock a white floral like nobody's business. I just may get it for her.

Just don't let her read this review.

on 12/29/2012 2:06:00 PM

I don't know how to describe scents as I am just starting to sample frangrances after not wearing frangrances (other than shower gel, moisturizer) for approx 20 years. All I know is ewww! Such a heavy awful scent. Had a sample which I spritzed on for a wedding. Left it on for a bit to see how it would dry down. Had to wash it off as I couldn't stand the smell. Nauseatingly heavy is how I would describe it. I guess I prefer more of a light scent.

Can't comment on price or packaging quality as this was a sample.

on 11/15/2012 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I only got the sample of this perfume. At first i LOVED this perfume and was thinking about purchasing the whole time. After smelling it a couple of times, I think i kind of got bored of this perfume. This smell is also very similar other perfumes. This perfume smell very summer, i love the middle notes and base notes, but not the top notes. Therefore I will not purchase this perfume, it is not very me!

Super long lasting and multidimensional.....i am in love with this fragrance....i think you either love it or hate it because it is strong and distinguive...

on 9/22/2012 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Bright, cheerful, vibrant, energetic--YET not irritating in the slightest. Beautiful floral burst of honey+ roses, jasmine, orange blossom. The honey MAKES this for me, it goes so well with the other notes. Lovely lasting power and sillage, rare in perfumes these days. Sweet but not cloyingly so. SO beautiful. Not one bad thing to say about this. It actually reminds me of Michael Kors, probably due to the white florals--and also Valentina Valentino, cuz of the citrus-y sweetness. Theperfumecritic.com has an awesome review of this.

on 9/18/2012 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I've tried this scent several times and always love it. Orange blossoms are my favorite and I take pleasure in the fact Elie Saab delivers. The main factor I will buy this is due to its staying power. I would sample in the morning and still smell it well past dinner. I also think it works for all seasons as it dries down warmly. This is not the most unique, groundbreaking perfume ever so I won't give it a '5', but for me it's lovely and wearable.

Spritzed twice on my arm in the store and it followed me around all day long, for probably 10 hours (hot day, though). Points for lasting power, but otherwise it's a generic floral with some oriental notes.

on 7/4/2012 9:43:00 AM

Just purchased this in Paris while on vacation. It is the perfect blend of understated with lasting power. In the US, I have tried many "subtler" fragrances that fade after an hour. This one has better lasting power. It starts off floral on me, but dries to a spicier, warmer scent. I already love it.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Elie Saab is my signature scent. It's definitely not your average fragrance. It's got a unique, sophisticated combination of ingredients. The orange blossoms, patchouli, Jasmine, rose honey and cedar work perfectly with my chemistry. I put on Elie Saab and feel like a woman. It's the first scent I can truly call my own.

on 5/1/2012 12:52:00 AM

I ripped out the sample strip from a magazine and rubbed it on my wrist, then let my husband smell it. Usually he's indifferent to my perfumes (Angel, Organza, Black Amethyst, Notorious...) but when he smelled this, he said, "Now THAT's a perfume." I've been searching for a fragrance that would get that reaction from him! Just hope he surprises me with a bottle of it. Yummy, lovely, feminine, but not cloying or sweet.

Popular Fragrances