Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation

4.1

Aqua (water), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alcohol Denat, Parfum (fragrance), Panthenol, Aluminium Hydroxide, Litchi Chinensis Pericarp Extract, Silica, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Pantolactone, Punica Granatum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid [+/- May contain: CI 77007 (ultramarines), CI 77019 (mica), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI77891 (titanium dioxide)] 10BMT001-1]

on 4/10/2015 3:12:00 PM

Good coverage. Nice texture. Lasts long enough. Not cakey. Cheap. Very nice natural finish. Best foundation ever. I've tried a lot of foundations and my regular foundation was vitalumiere Aqua until I found this gem.

on 4/10/2015 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I ordered this foundation in the winter and am still using it in the spring. I've used it every time I put on make up, and I still really love the consistency and effect of this foundation. I have #53 (Beige Clair--a neutral tone) and while it was a good winter colour, I've gotten a bit more tan and it's too light for me now. However, a great thing about this foundation is that it elevates any foundation it's mixed with, whether it's expensive or cheap. This is one of my favourite foundations to mix with others, as it's a great base that stays on well and also feels great when applying.

This foundation has not broken me out, but I do think it's important to wash foundation brushes more often when using them with this foundation. The consistency is much more thick than water-based foundations, so it sticks to bristles easily. I use a little bit of this foundation at a time because I find that it can feel too heavy on the skin when applied generously. I apply this foundation with a small stippling brush so that I can focus on buffing it into my skin and using less. I can't review how well this foundation holds up during warm weather, but during cold weather it doesn't make my face feel dry at all.

The packaging is really sturdy. Usually within months of use, a plastic foundation bottle will lose its lid or the pump will break down. The packaging has held up and I wouldn't say I'm gentle with the bottle. The price can be quite expensive. I purchased it on sale for about $18 CAD, but since then it has jumped up to $24. I believe I will repurchase this foundation, though it has inspired me to try other gel foundations to see how it compares. I'm not sure about the promises made on the bottle, since my skin hasn't gotten any better or worse since I started using it.

Overall, it's a good foundation that I really like. I prefer the feel of this foundation compared to water-based foundations which can sometimes be too runny. I'd recommend this foundation to those who have worn foundation before and know how they like to apply it, as the consistency can be manipulated to suit different needs. The colour range is not the best, as it misses a lot of colours for darker skins, as well as skin tones that are more yellow/olive. If they expanded their colour range, I would definitely buy again.

This is easily my favourite foundation, with that out of the way I would like to see a wider shade range, I found a shade that suits me really well (vanilla) but I can see that being a problem

This stuff isn't actually a gel, it's a liquid foundation but due to the serum in the formula it blends out really easily, there is nothing in Boots or Superdrug that blends this well at this price point, it's so forgiving even if you're bad at blending

This foundation has a smell that makes me think of Chanel makeup (not suprising since Bourjois own Chanel cosmetics) it's quite strong at first but usually goes away after about 15 minutes so this would be really bad if you're sensitive to smells

The coverage is definitely on the light to medium side of things, you can build up to the medium coverage by applying two layers but any more than that and I found that it got really cakey really fast

This lasted me around 6 hours with no touch ups in the summer but made it to the 13 hour mark in the winter so it really depends on your skin type, in spring and autum when I'm a normal skin type I can get 8 to 9 hours of wear from this with just one layer of powder when I start my day

I did notice that this stuff seemed to help boost my moisture levels in the winter (probably that serum right?) and also had the benefit of making the foundation easy to move out of lines (I could tap the product out of my lines if I wanted)

All in all I think this stuff is definitely worth trying out if you're looking for that simple and quick foundation that can give you a naturally level complexion

on 3/29/2015 8:04:00 AM

This was an okay foundation. The color range is good natural-looking and the foundation doesn't look cakey on my face. But I kinda feel like this broke me out a little? And it made my skin look oily really fast..

on 3/26/2015 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I put this on my face and it was instantly like.. This is the foundation I have been waiting 10 years to find. My face instantly felt good. This stuff feels like moisturizer and has the coverage I'm looking for - I like the "no-makeup makeup" effect. It hasn't broken me out and lasts through the day. My forehead gets a little shiny, but I'm not sure if that's a product of this, having bangs, or just having a very oily forehead. I feel fresh with this foundation and it doesn't cake or oxidize around the nose pads on my glasses (looking at you TruBlend!!!). It's pricey (but not outrageous) - but my mother always said make sure you have expensive foundation - the rest can be cheap crap! I seriously hope this doesn't get discontinued or I will need to start my search all over again. I'm hoping to use this for life.

on 3/26/2015 7:53:00 AM

Good for:
Normal, dry and very dry skin
A natural, dewey finish
Light coverage
''No makeup'' makeup

Not the best for:
Oily skin
Troubled skin (hyperpigmentation, acne, etc)
High coverage

on 3/23/2015 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Pros:
+ Natural
+ Light cover
+ Easy to blend
+ Does not cause break out

Cons:
+ Not long-lasting
+ Cakey after 2 or 3 coats
+ Not suitable with ppl who have oily skin
+ Suitable with ppl who have smooth skin already

on 3/18/2015 9:43:00 AM

I love this foundation!! I have very dry dull skin. I do not need much coverage, so this foundation was right for me !! It has light coverage, glowy dewy finish. Love love it and will absolutely repurchase !!

on 3/17/2015 12:32:00 PM

Minimal coverage, so loaded with crap that my skin reacted the second I applied it. Not surprisingly, when I gave it a second chance and kept it on, it broke me out like crazy. Don't bother with this one

on 3/15/2015 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a great foundation! I've been using this for about two months straight and have been loving it. (For reference, I have oil/combo skin with dry patches and an oily t-zone) This foundation is about $30 CAD which is a little pricey and I have only been able to find it at shoppers drug mart...but, if you are an optimum member you can save up points and get it for "free". It comes in about 8 shades, but from my knowledge only 6 shades are available in Canada. It has a pump which is always a bonus and the packaging is all plastic. Lastly, the foundation is not too think but not too thin, just right and it also has a fruity scent to it which I love (almost like Garnier products...).

Now for my thoughts: The fact that I have been using this foundation for about 2 months and have not even thought about any other foundation is enough of a statement. I'm known for hoarding foundations and have tried almost everything in the drugstore and even a few high-end products; nothing even comes close to this. This foundation gives a light to medium coverage depending on which tool you use to apply it. I found my fingers and a flat-top brush gave me a sheer look that was very dewy; not really what i wanted. BUT the Quo "beauty blender" gave me the perfect finish (also available at SDM). All I did was wet the sponge and apply the foundation to my face in a stippling motion making sure not to run the sponge over my face or else it would give a sheer finish. Doing this gave me great coverage and covered up a lot of my acne scars without making it look like I'm wearing a mask!:) At first, the foundation looked dewy, but after a few minutes it gave me a skin-like finish.
The wear of this is where it loses points. It doesn't last 16 hours on my skin, but I've worn worst foundation. I found that WITH a primer it separated on my skin and left a oily shield...which might be the primers fault, but even without a primer I found that it got oily after about 6 hours. This foundation did not make me break out at all and it might just be me and my eyes but I see slight improvements in my skin in terms of texture and radiance. My skin looks and feels more even.
The gel-formula is like nothing that I've experience before. The foundation isn't chalky which i Love. The colour is true to what it looks like, and because of the gel, the product glides onto the skin evenly.
At the end of the day, the foundation still looks great regardless of the fact that it has come off at a few places (around the nose/top of the lip), but don't expect to have this on your face for a long time as it will not stay.

I'm absolutely in love with this foundation and am looking forward to buying more shades in the summer when my skin gets deeper in colour. I highly recommend that all skin types try this (unless you are at the far end of the spectrum: extremely dry and extremely oily). This would also be great for those just starting to get into makeup and also for those who are at a later stage in life.

Another issue I have is the colour range. I love that a lot of foundations are neutral-yellow based (not commonly found in drugstore), but it only caters to a select few skin tones. This line has no colours for fair skin or deep skin tones. I am an nc20-25/C3 in MAC and use the shade 52-Vanilla which is slightly too light for me (but I mix covergirl trumatch in M4 too add more yellow and more depth to the foundation). I wish Bourjois would cater to all skin tones and undertones as this is a fabulous foundation.

If this foundation is available in your area, go out and get it!!