Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

on 9/25/2014 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Now let me just say that I am one to buy synthetic brushes for I believe they last longer and much cheaper. I'm a very low end brush person because I use my brushes on a daily basis and clean most of them right after use. So I guess you can say I'm pretty vigorous. Gentle, but vigorous. Without any further ado, here is my take on the RT brushes.

1.Buffing Brush: My absolute favorite and HG brush at the moment. Blends any product like a dream. Gives you a nice soft focus type of finish. I mainly use this for liquid and cream foundations and even to blend out any harsh lines from contouring. Wonderful! Very multi purposeful. Zero to minimal shedding! Extremely easy to clean. Not much I can say except superb. This brush really does live up to it's name.

2.Detailer Brush: My second favorite from the set! I mainly use this to apply corrector creams under my eyes. Picks up a lot of product and extremely easy to clean. Fast drying is a plus too! I don't know how it works as a lip liner but I heard great things about it for that purpose.

3. Flat Foundation Brush: Not a bad brush but I still have yet to find a use for this. It's too small to apply foundation and I never really was a fan of applying foundation with the typical foundation brush anyway. I tried applying under eye concealer with this but unfortunately it was too big and the bristles sparser out when applying creating an uneven application. But, no shedding, easy to clean, and I'm sure there's a use for this somewhere!

4. Contouring Brush: Alrighty, here we go. I used to be in love with this brush. It was so amazing for contouring (obviously), setting my under eye concealer, and blending under eye concealer. But after just 4 washes, this brush started shedding like CRAZY. Like, the bristles are sticking out, losing shape, and if I were to just pull one piece out, an entire lock of bristles would come out! Never had a problem with synthetic brush shedding until this brush. Extremely odd because I wash all my RT brushes the same way, same time, with the same brush cleanser and this is the only one that decides to shed like a mad man.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Buffer and contour brushes are wonderful, so I have no regrets with buying this collection to get those. The two smaller ones I could do without, but I have/will find used for since I now have them. My favorite uses for each brush so far have been liquid foundation with buffer, contour the hollow of my cheeks with contour, under eye concealer with the foundation or whatever one, and I haven't used the detail yet, but planning to use it as a lip brush. Would be nice for storage if the handles were smaller, but oh well. Nice brushes.

These brushes are amazing. Even though people think they're pricey.. Look at the quality of them and then the quality of Mac/Bobbi brown and compare the prices then. These brushes are so handy. The buffing brush is good for buffing in liquid foundation to get a nice natural finish. You can also use it for powder too. The contour brush is good for bronzing your cheekbones and even concealing your under eye as the brush fits perfectly under the eye and the other brushes are good for concealing too. Very handy collectio.

on 8/16/2014 6:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I find all of her brushes to be average, with affordable price point. They're not the softest or the best to pick up product but they are quite practical, dries really fast after washes and I always prefer synthetic fiber brushes rather than natural hair, so I've purchased quite a few. This set is no different but I recently discovered that the small paddle brush called pointed foundation brush is the best tool for contouring the nose. With both powder or cream product. Just try it and you'll know what I mean.

I am giving these a 4 because of the great price point. They are nice brushes and can get the job done. However, they are not as soft as I had expected. In fact, I find them a bit scratchy. They are definitely not as nice as the Sonia Kashuk black handled brushes. I would say they are comparable to the SK white handled brush line. The ELF Studio Line brushes are also comparable to Real Techniques brushes.

If you can afford a higher price point, I would recommend It Cosmetics brushes. They are also synthetic but are much softer and give a much better application and finish.

I have most of the RT brushes but I won't replace/repurchase them. I suspect they will fall by the wayside and become travel-only brushes.

on 8/6/2014 4:48:00 PM

I was so excited about buying this brush set for my mom as her BD gift. I ended up bought 2 sets online; one for myself. It kinda surprised me in a bad way. They are smaller than they seemed on Sam's youtube. Anyway, when I used the buffing brush with the liquid foundation, it scratched my face! I tried to think positive and used it with the powder, it still scratched my face. Besides, it didn't transfer the powder to the face smoothly. I do agree with the previous comment; it's a lie! It's not "super soft". I dare the company to QC check mine. Some of the the bristols fell off in 2nd use. For 22USD, NOT worth buying at all.

Update: I had a look at another set that I gave to my mom. OMG.. they are softer and look a lil bit different in handle color. The quality control of this brand is really bad. :(

on 7/30/2014 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

These brushes are really great... they make it easy to blend your foundation. They are an okay price.. I payed around 20 dollars Canadian. I like how the foundation brush is small and can fit in all the edges of your face. Still trying to figure out if I can use the buffing brush for blush, application or if it's just for blending. The detailer brush is a bit small but useful when you are concealing a pimple. The brushes are extremely soft. I removed one lippy because even after I rubbed the brush in shampoo there was still a bit of foundation left on the brush... so they don't clean as well as mac 187 which always comes out really white when i rub it in shampoo and then rub it under water.

on 7/28/2014 8:04:00 PM

These brushes really are amazing. When I first purchased them I used the pixel brush for concealer and the contour brush for powder, but I now find that the contour brush is perfect for blending cream foundations and the pixel is best for lips. However the small foundation brush is not good, after one use it becomes very bristly and hard.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love Real Techniques brushes, that is why I have all of them, but not all of the are perfect. In this set, I LOVED the contour brush- I honestly think it's the best contouring brush I have, the buffing brush is good too, but for blending cream blushes - I didn't really like it for applying foundation. the Small detailer brush is great for applying lipstick. The only brush I don't care for in this set is the pointed foundation brush - it's too small for applying foundation on the face, it may work for concealer, but it's defiantly not great.

on 7/19/2014 3:26:00 PM

I love these brushes, they are my holy grail brushes for sure. They blend everything perfectly and are so easy to clean. I wrote a blog post about the sets i purchased i'd love it if you checked it out! www.beautifybeautyy.blogspot.co.uk

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products