Trader Joe's Spa 100% Pure Jojoba Oil

4.6

on 1/23/2013 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been using this oil alone for OCM (oil cleansing method) and it works great at removing makeup plus light moisturizing. My OCM technique is to apply a quarter-sized amount of jojoba to my dry face, gently massaging with a circular motion. After 20-30 seconds, I steam my face with a warm clean microfiber towel (just wring it in hot tap water) and keep it on for 10 seconds, later using it to gently wipe away the dirt that the oil brings out my pores. I repeat this step once and then splash cold water on my face.

This oil extracts junk gently from my clogged skin and removes makeup completely. It also works as a light, non-comedogenic moisturizer (3-4 drops). No discernible smell or side-effects. I use OCM on my face once every other day, alternating with an oatmeal scrub and yogurt mask.

on 12/10/2012 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The price and quality of the Trade Joes jojoba oil is fantastic because it only costs a few dollars for a decently big bottle. (Before you buy, look out for any cloudiness at the bottom of the bottle. I'm not sure why, but 1-2 of my bottles have been cloudy at the bottom and it worries me that it's fungal growth. It could be something with how its treated or packaged though, since all my bottles are new and sealed!)

I started using this oil in the winter because my oily skin needs a bit more moisturization but can't tolerate thick lotions very well. This oil is great for holding moisture to the face and softening the skin, although it's VERY easy to use too much. The best method I've found is to mix 1-2 drops of this oil with a pump of my normal lotion (either Neutrogena Body Lotion or Cerave Lotion) and rub it into my skin. If used alone (or if you use too much), this oil can be a bit hard to spread and sits on my skin for hours. However, it spreads very easily when mixed in with lotion, and it absorbs much quicker when used this way. You need less than you think you need! I don't recommend more than 3 drops for your face unless you want to look like a disco ball.

I am taking off a lippie 'cause the Trader Joes packaging sucks. It's very hard to just get a single drop out of the bottle, because it tends to just pour out too much. I'm going to pour out some of this oil into a dropper bottle so hopefully it'll solve that problem.

EDIT: I am acne-prone and clog-prone, and this oil (technically a wax) does not break me out. Always patch test anyhow before use. YMMV.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I love how quickly this oil sinks into my skin. Unfortunately my oily oily skin freaks out when I try to use this prior to foundation. So it has to be a night time moisturizer for me. It works especially well after doing my aztec clay mask which is a bit drying but also amazing btw

on 12/9/2012 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love Trader Joe's Spa 100% Jojoba Oil. I have oily facial skin and dry skin on my body. I use this oil on both areas and my face become moisturized and not as oily and my body is free of itchy dry skin, I mix the 4 ounce bottle with one cap full of Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil. The mixture of the two oils has improved the condition of my skin and my nails. My nails are healthy looking with white tips for the first time ever. After washing my hands I apply the mixture to my hands. The only negative thing I can find to say about either of these products is the packaging needs improvement as the oil always puddles under the bottles after sitting for a while.

on 11/20/2012 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I read the reviews, went to Trader Joe's and bought the Jojoba Oil, and I am very glad I did.

I use just a few drops on my face and neck after washing my face at night, and after my morning shower.

It has made a very big difference in evening out my 'rosacea ravaged' skin, and helps minimize the itchiness.

It's unscented, it's very versatile in mixing with other facial products, and I can use it on my eye area, lips and all over my body if I choose.

My only quibble is the packaging as the oil can easily dribble out of the sides and lightly coat the bottle. However, I can't think of any way beside a pump to better package the product, so when I go out of town, I simply pack my bottle in a separate plastic bag.

on 11/10/2012 4:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Claims to be "A gentle oil useful for removing makeup, cleansing clogged pores, softening skin, and moisturizing." I love this product! I intentionally bought it to use for my occasional "at home facials." I apply a little bit to massage my face, it's very relaxing, and moisturizing! I recently started to use this as a facial makeup remover. I apply it to a baby wipe, and then use circular motions to remove. Highly recommend this product!

on 10/6/2012 8:07:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the best makeup remover. EVER. I wear kohl, gel liner, mascara, etc. and this removes everything. Plus, it is gentle on lashes. Even though I wear eye makeup, my natural lashes look great! ;)

The only thing I would change is the packaging... it gets a little messy (not sure how to remedy that).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love using this as a lip balm, or rubbing it on my elbows and knees where I really need moisture. It softens skin immediately. I also use it as an ingredient in home made facial masks, or I put it in my hair before I shower as a deep conditioner. It's great stuff and I don't know where else you'd find this but Trader Joe's.

on 8/10/2012 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Never would have imagined in my 48 yrs on earth that I could put oil on my face and A) not look like a grease pit. B) Break out terribly. C) Be able to apply powder (or any) makeup on top of it. Well, I was wrong because in my desperation to help my now perimenopausal skin appear smoother, firmer, and better hydrated, I tried this and it turns out my skin loves it. This is a BIG deal for me since I've suffered with unrelentling skin issues since the age of 11 ranging from acne, allergies and Lupus. Twice a day after washing my face with Philosophy Purity cleanser, I've been mixing 1- 2 drops of Jojoba with my moisturizer (usually CeraVe) and this sinks right in with no greasey residue on my face or neck. I see a difference already in just 3 weeks. My fine lines are gone and my skin looks more radiant and healthy. I also use it to remove eye make up and it does not irritate my eyes. HG for sure from now on!

Edited to add: For an inexpensive quick fix to mascara mishaps, without tugging at delicate skin~ I simply dab a bit of jojoba oil onto a Q-tip and lightly fix up the area, then turn the Q-tip over to the clean side to smooth any residue.

on 6/10/2012 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great product, but you need to be careful with how you use it.

My skin type: sensitive, acne-prone, clogged pores, oily.

Through much trial and error, I've found that the best way for my to use this is as an oil cleanser every couple of days, or to mix in a drop or two into a cleanser that you find is drying.

I've tried this as a moisturizer, or mixed a drop or two into my moisturizer at night, and its just too much for my skin. At first it seemed great and like it was helping with my acne. Unfortunately, after only three days my skin began to become more congested and greasy, my blackheads and pores looking huge, so I had to cut it out.

The only way I can use this is before a cleanser. I'll take a few drops of this and massage it over my clogged pores and it really helps loosen up and to a certain degree, shrink my blackheads. I then follow up with a cleanser and washcloth, and gently rub over my skin. I rinse it all away and follow up with the rest of my regular nightly routine. I do this every couple of days, but never twice in a row.

The price seems really reasonable, and from what I've heard is certainly cheaper from other jojoba oils. And for the amount you get I really can't complain. I appreciate the attempt at a way to control the amount that comes out of the bottle with the smaller hole, but it really is easy for more product than you want to come trickling out. I really feel some kind of a dropper mechanism would be nice.

Otherwise, a good product if you know how to use it, and at a very reasonable price.

EDIT 5/15/13: I've bumped my rating of this product down because it just doesn't work for me. I didn't want to give it the lowest rating because its a great value and product if jojoba oil is what works for you.

I haven't reached for this in a long time, and to be honest I think my skin is better for it. It was nice to get a cleansing oil in at first, I think it was doing its job. But after a while my skin started to feel both oily and dehydrated, like moisture was just not getting through. As for acne, I just kept breaking out and getting clogging up so I cut this out and went back to basics with my skincare, and my skin is looking great. I may try a different oil next time, but I think oil cleansing might not be for me.