October 2, 2014 | 1851 users online

Conditioner - Shea Moisture - Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Condition

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by jstrazishar

I had been using the Curly Girl Method since May. I was using Alberto V05 as a co-wash and Tresemme Naturals as my rinse out. My results were okay, but my hair still felt a bit dry/frizzy. One day I used the Tresemme as a leave in and my hair turned out SO dry I had to condition all over again. I needed to switch ASAP.

I read rave reviews here on MUA about Shea Moisture's Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. So I headed to Walgreen's to get it. It was meant to be: they had the bottles buy one get one free so I grabbed all 3 bottles off the shelf...and boy am I glad I did!

This stuff has been a MIRACLE for my hair. Normally my hair frizzes up like crazy in humidity during the summer months, so I compensate by using a ton of gel to keep it at bay, which ends up making my hair look greasy and my curls fall flat. This conditioner moisturizes my hair so well, that I use a lot less gel, and my curls turn out light, bouncy, and shiny. NO FRIZZ! NO DRYNESS! Just beautifully defined curls.

I feel it important to reiterate the fact that I am using the Curly Girl Method. I run an Alberto V05 through the length of my hair and rub it pretty vigorously into my scalp, then rinse. Then I apply the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Conditioner to my hair and comb my hair out with a shower comb. I leave the conditioner on for the duration of my shower. When I rinse at the end, I rinse it out about halfway. It seems like that leaves a lot of product in your hair, but once I squeeze the excess water out, it's the perfect amount as a leave in and it's already distributed very well. Then I use the Turbie Twist to dry my hair--terry cloth towels are a big no-no, and I don't heat style my hair at all. I then apply Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel in my hair--run it through with my fingers, focusing on the middle to ends, and scrunch a little. Then I air dry and my hair comes out amazingly, I might dare to say nearly perfect.

For those who are bothered by strong scent, the scent is very light and pleasant. For those with sensitive skin, I have very sensitive skin and this hasn't caused me any problems so far. Lastly, $10 may seem pretty steep for 13 oz, but it is so thick, the bottle lasts forever. I have been using it for exactly a month now, and I still have about half a bottle left (I co-wash/condition about 3-4 times a week).

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 1:59:00 AM More reviews by chelley33

honestly, i really wanted to give this product a good review but i just cant. I had high hopes for this product given it was organic and smelt great, however i must say it did nothing for my hair. I have thick, wavy/curly hair thats very long (down to my lower back) and i was looking for something that could give my hair that extra moisture and it was less moisturizing than regular conditioner. I must say the best hair products moisture wise and for an affordable price would be any conditioner by herbal essences, as well as hydration mist spray by organix. does wonders.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by kstoopid

Smells fresh and clean. I use as a wash out and leave in conditioner on my ends. Hair is soooooooooooooooo shiny, soft and manageble. I am caucasion with fine long blond highlighted hair. This whole brand is amazing! Also love that it does not contain silicones in their products. My hair does not react well to silicones. I prefer natural products, even love that it is naturally fragranced. Can't beat the price either!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is my HG leave-in conditioner! I used to use Giovanni Direct Leave-In, but when I ran out of that I decided to try this because I love this whole product line. One pump worked through my hair is enough for my medium textured, wavy, above the shoulder hair. It is not all that heavy considering the ingredients (lots of shea butter and coconut oil) so it doesn't make my hair feel weighed-down or greasy. But it does make my hair look better and feel softer. I love using this as a nourishing base before adding my styling products. As a bonus, this smells absolutely divine! Like an expensive (slighly hippie inspired) perfume. The scent doesn't last long, though, so if you don't care for it, it'll be gone quickly. The overall condition of my hair has improved since I started using this (about 6 weeks now)- it just seems shinier and healthier. I love that it's all natural and supports free trade ingredients. I am coming to the conclusion that my hair and skin just adore shea butter because everything I pick up from this line ends up being well loved by me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by silverwing

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is probably my HG conditioner. It works well as both a rinse out and as a leave in. Most of the time I use this as my rinse out and then put about a pump's worth back in my hair as a leave in conditioner. I use the curly girl method. This product leaves my curls soft and defined. I feel there is plenty of slip to work it through the hair.

While more expensive than some drugstore hair care, I think this product is worth it. I'm glad more stores are carrying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Eboniejoie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this conditioner. It is one of my absolute favorite conditioners of all time. I use it to co-wash my hair and I also use it as a leave in. It strengthens my hair and it makes my hair feel soft. I just wish it came in a bigger size! The thing I love the most is that it is made from natural products. A+ for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by jtmonian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just bought a new bottle of the Restorative today,, because I only have a half of cup left in my used bottle. Once I'm done rinsing out my final product I add this to my wet hair, the way I do my hair routine this gives me slip, softness, and shine. I love the way this product smells even days after it smells so wonderful I use this product as a leave in only, I seal with Castor oil and then Curl Enhancing Smoothie. What a perfect trio for my hair. I love, love love the Restorative Condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by geecard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff!! It is a great conditioner. I also use it on my co-washing days as a leave in conditioner (just a dab, any more would be too much).

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2013 8:51:00 PM More reviews by julilee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Of course, I'm commenting on this product after just one use. I will write an update after I see how it performs over time.

The pro here is that this conditioner leaves your hair soft, shiny, and moisturized. The smell is nice, too. It's a lot like milk & honey soap. And I don't think it's too strong. I can't smell it unless I put my hair in my face... which I've been doing a lot since I used this stuff. :) (It just hit me! That smell is the argan oil! I have a sample of Moroccan Oil, and that's exactly what it smells like.)

On the con side, this stuff leaves the hair feeling (NOT looking) a little greasy/heavy/filmy. It might just be hard to wash out, but I thought I gave it a good rinse. Also, it's supposed to double as a leave-in, so it should be OK if a little gets left behind. Hmm.

Also on the con side, I'm feeling a tad itchy. This product is EVERYTHING-free, so I thought it would be non-irritating. It does contain several botanical ingredients, though, so that's probably it. Keep in mind that I'm a touch sensitive. If you're not, you'll probably be OK.

Last on my list of cons is the packaging. Before I bash it, let me say that it IS attractive and super informative. The pump also dispenses just the right amount of product... that is, if you get a bottle with an intact pump. Out of five bottles on the shelf at Target, only one had a dispenser on it. I took that one, and before I got to checkout, the dispenser fell off at least twice. It seems fine now that it's sitting securely in my shower... but I can see it falling down the drain. :(

I'll let you know how it goes with this stuff. I really want to like it, but right now, I'm on the fence.

UPDATE:
I wouldn't recommend this product for anyone with sensitive skin. I have been using it for over a month now, and I think it's the culprit in breaking out my scalp. I'm guessing the argan oil is the problem. For the lengths to which they went to make this stuff gentle (and I think it was a genuine effort), it is pretty harsh for my sensitive skin. I do like the way it softens my hair, but you have to leave it in for a couple of minutes to get good results, which can be a problem if you're allergic to it.

I cut my hair really short since purchasing this stuff, which is why I think I'm tolerating it fairly well (that and the price tag). When my hair was longer, I couldn't wash it out properly or detangle my hair in the shower without causing damage. It really doesn't have enough slip.

On the up side, the packaging has been fine. Once you get it home, it stays together and dispenses a good amount of product.

I will not purchase this again, but it's probably fine for those with short hair (or who detangle their hair when dry) and those without skin sensitivity/allergy issues. It is softening and moisturizing but can leave a film on the hair if you don't wash it out thoroughly. It didn't do anything for me as a leave-in.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBead

I love this conditioner. It really helps to moisturize my super dry hair since I did "the big chop" this month. And though the formula is for people with dry and damaged hair, it could work really well for those who simply want to bring their undamaged dry hair back to life. This product not only smells great but it moisturizes wonderfully, my hair feels incredibly soft. The brand is paraben free. So far, it's my #1 choice for conditioning my hair.