August 22, 2014 | 1696 users online

Moisturizers - Passion fruit (Maracuja) oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I tried the Tart brand and it was okay. I used t use extra virgin olive oil and now I use coconut oil. I use oils on my hair and skin as they are both sensitive and dry. I didn't notice any spectacular results with this oil. It worked fine. I definitely prefer coconut oil, it gives my skin an awesome glow.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2012 8:01:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had been wanting to try Maracuja oil for a while but I didn't want to shell out the ridiculous amount of money that the only name brand company advertising it was asking. In fact I've never seen a carrier or exotic oil sell for $40/oz from a natural skincare supplier or vendor. After researching a bit I found out that it was actually Passion Fruit oil and that I could get this from one of my favorite online vendors (Garden of Wisdom) for under $5 for an oz. Seriously? You can keep the cute purple bottle GoW's plastic squeeze bottle works perfectly weather I want to use a drop or a spoonful. I don't have to mess with a dropper or expose the oil to air or contaminates either. That being said this oil is richer than what I would normally use for my face but sinks in very quickly with no oily after feel. This leaves my skin very soft almost like I put on a light lotion and has quickly become a favorite. I have combo skin and this doesn't break me out or make me oily when I use it alone at night. Like most products it sinks in best when I use it right after a shower or after I wash my face and it's still slightly damp. A drop of this mixes well with sunscreen and my daily retinol cream with spf to lock in moisture without making me oily. It also gives a good base for makeup/powder. For those of you that get black heads when using oils be sure to use a toner with something like salicylic acid in it after washing. Oils are meant to provide a moisture barrier and regulate oil production by sealing in the moisture already in your skin which is why it's best to use them after showering or on damp skin. This shouldn't clog pores but dirt & oil can still be trapped there. If you repeatedly put this or anything else on over pores prone to build up without using something to clear them you are gonna get blackheads.

When used properly this is a great oil at an awesome price as long as you don't miss the pretty packaging. If you do you could always pick up a glass perfume bottle to keep it in and still save $$. I've purchased products from both the high end seller of this oil and GoW for years and if I had to choose between identical products I would go with GoW or one of the many other established natural product vendors available online. I usually get a equal or better quality product much cheaper and get any questions I might have answered right away.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by amillionbucks

This review is for the maracuja oil from Natural Bliss.

I was already a huge fan of Tarte's Maracuja oil, but wanted to see if it was possible to get more bang for my buck - and it was! I can purchase 8 oz. of Natural Bliss maracuja oil for a mere $35, as opposed to $46 for 1.7 oz. of Tarte's oil.

The NB oil is slightly darker than the Tarte oil, and a very light fruity smell that goes away soon after application. Prior to purchasing the NB oil, I had been using Tarte's product for the better part of a year. After using Natural Bliss for a month, I can report that the results are 100% identical to the results I get with Tarte!

The best part of being able to purchase so much more oil for less money from NB is that now I feel free to use it on other parts of my body with reckless abandon. I like to use it on my arms, legs and shoulders when I get out of the shower before drying off. It absorbs quickly when applied to wet skin and my skin stays soft until my next shower.

The one drawback this product has is the packaging - the bottles it comes in are clear. Maracuja oil contains a lot of Vitamin C, which is light sensitive. I purchased an amber glass bottle with a pump and poured all my NB oil into it to prevent oxidation and would recommend others do the same. It's a step I wish I didn't have to do, but for the money I'm saving and the fantastic results I'm getting, it's a very small sacrifice!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Twizzz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After reading tons of reviews about this oil (I first saw/heard about it on QVC when they were doing a product review of Tarte's version)--I absolutely had to try this--after reading another MUA's review, I purchased some from Natural Bliss and it arrived yesterday. I got the 4oz bottle for approx $20, which is a STEAL, mind you....the smell is very organic, not unpleasant--and after cleaning my face with my Clarisonic Mia using Philosophy's Purity Made Simple, I pumped out one pump (probably 4-6 drops worth) and warmed it up in my hands and then patted it all over my face, neck, and even eyelids, then proceeded to rub it in. At first the product seemed to sit there, giving me a sheen--then after about 5 minutes, it sank right into my skin, making it baby soft. I awoke this morning with baby soft, radiant skin--and this is from using this oil ONCE! My skin is very fair, sensitive, mostly dry--and the past 2 months I've been on a thyroid medication that seems to have brought on more "oilies" in my T-zone, my pores have enlarged, and my dry cheeks and forehead are even dryer than before. Originally for the past 6+ years I have relied solely on Philosophy's Hope in a Jar for normal skin and cleansed once a day with Purity Made Simple and my skin was a happy camper. Not any more--and having gone thru literally dozens of other products from Philosophy and other lines, from cheap drugstore thru expensive, I just felt MEH about my skin....that's why this oil intrigued me--and I'm SO excited....looking into the honey experiment for cleansing, too....
Try it if you're looking for supple, smooth, radiant skin--I turn 39 next week and have always taken care of my skin--I feel this oil will really become a staple to my daily routine from now on, and getting hubby to try it too on his overdried razorburned skin :) Hope this helps!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2012 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Sabastien

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had this sitting around under my bathroom sink since last summer. Had no idea what to use an oil for since I have very oily skin.I didn't want to use it in my hair because I only had a sample size, and I was already using other oil for my hair. I had this and JM ( Josie Maran) argan oil. One day I decided to google the oils and see what people use them for. I read they are very good for skin, and decided to give it a go. Seeing as I have oily skin, and a few acne scars, and was looking for something to just make my skin look better. I used the JM argan oil first, and wasn't happy, I broke out a few days after using it. So gave that a break, and started using the Tarte Maracuja oil. To my surprise it did something totally unexpected. It made my very oily skin dissapear! Crazy! I was litteraly blotting my face every 2 hours. Sooo annoying. After I started using this in the morning, my oily skin vanished. Now I only need to blot 2-3 times a day, and even then its not an oil slick like it used to be. I also noticed my few acne scars on my chin were less noticable. My whole face just looks better, more even. I do have to use a moisturizer with it, or I do notice dry patches on my cheeks, but my face has always been dry in areas.
How I use: I apply 2-3 drops in the palm of my hand, then rub my hands together to distribute evenly. Then I pat/press not rub the oil all over my face. Use ur palms and fingers to pat/press and then gently smooth the oil all over, and a bit on your neck to. If you give it a few min afterwards, you noice the oil dissapearing slightly into the skin. Then I apply my normal day moisturizer over it. ( for ref I use la roche-rosay Effaclar M for day and Vichy normaderm nuit for night)
I also think my primer has a fair play in it as well. Hourglass mineral Veil.(see my review on this) I started using this before I tried the oil and notice a difference, but not as much as when I introduced the Maracuja Oil. I will continue with this routine until it starts to fail me.
I will update if something changes.
If this helps another women out there with crazy oily skin I will be happy.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2012 7:05:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately my experience with this oil hasn't been positive.
I recently managed to get my skin to the point where there were only two small active pimples on my face and was looking to incorporate oils into my regimen to cope with winter dryness. After reading all of the amazing reviews for maracuja oil I thought it would be perfect for my clog-prone skin but I couldn't have been more wrong- after just 5 days of light use my skin went haywire! I had huge zits popping up in places I wouldn't have even imagined (under my eyes, along my cheekbones, next to my ears!) I didn't even experience a reaction this bad with coconut oil so I was quite alarmed to find something so "non-comedogenic" doing this to my face.
It's been about a week now since I stopped using it and thankfully I haven't had any more breakouts so I can say for sure that this is what caused them. Sigh. I think I'm just cursed.
I'll try using this up on my neck or in my hair and will update later with the results.

ETA: This also caused me to break out on my neck which almost never happens. I'm starting to think that I may be allergic to it.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2011 9:52:00 PM More reviews by chrissypoo327

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got mine at Oca-Brazil, too. What prompted me the most was the person who said how well it improved their neck area. While I have been very diligent since a young age (18) in taking care of my face, I haven't been so diligent with my neck and chest area. It's not like my face looks 50 and the rest looks 70, but I sure wish I had taken care of ALL areas (hint, hint you younger ladies!). My neck is basically ok, but because of sun damage (I am assuming) and I also am very large-breasted and side sleeping, I have lines/wrinkles at the base of my neck (where it meets the shoulder) and right above my breasts, as well as redness on my chest. I mean, it can get red enough that people ask me if I've been in the sun. This year I just got drier and honestly, I think I was just plain using too many products on my skin. After hearing so much about oils and oil cleansing, I tried it with nothing to lose. Well, in about 3 days, the redness AND lines were significant diminished. Significantly as in probably 50-75% better! My face was smoother, more refined with pores less noticeable, too. All for $9 (one ounce). Sometimes when it's warmer out, it's a little too much to put on my face neat so I mix a drop with my regular moisturizer. It seems a little hard to spread evenly on my face so I use a little blob (about half a dime size) of aloe gel and mix the oil (2-3 drops) into it at night after spritzing my face with a witch hazel type toner (in cooler months, I use it with rose water), but I'm sure you could use water as well, and it spreads wonderfully, plus it helps seal in the moisture. I now use a couple of different oils ... either I combine them or alternate days or I use one for morning and a different one at bedtime to get the various benefits of each oil. No longer will I use high-priced, ineffective creams, serums and potions. Next time I order, I will get a larger amount and start mixing it into body lotions.
EDITED 10/18: I should have clarified in my original review that I still use some serums, etc. (Vit. C and an AHA) but have drastically cut down on the ones I had been using and kept to these two, and I no longer buy fancy, useless-ingredient-laden moisturizers ... it's Cerave PM for me (I don't use the AM version because I hate the feel of sunscreen). I use both the Vit. C and AHA (at separate times) under the oil ... usually Vit. C serum during the day since it's water based (vs. creamy/greasy) and the AHA at night.

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 3:45:00 PM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the Tarte Maracuja oil. I like that it moisturizes my skin without breaking me out. It doesnt work wonders for me like it does for others below. Its a great hydrator, but not a miracle product. What I dont like about this product that it doesnt help me with my acne.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a 1/4 oz sample of Tarte maracuja oil to try, esp. wanting to try it after seeing hundreds of 5-star reviews for it on the QVC site.

First off I have to say I hate the dropper dispenser. I love dropper bottles in general but this w/this type you have to press the button to dispense 1 drop @ a time, which is very cumbersome. I use 5 drops for my face/neck/hands. The pipette never fills up fully, so I constantly have to dip it back in the little bottle & press, press, press. Bah. Other than that I love the product. It's other downside is the unpleasant scent - smells to me like rancid oil but I believe that's the natural odor of this oil & it's not rancid. But it smells like that & I'm not a fan.

The oil texture is super light, very moisturizing but not heavy or greasy & I love knowing my skin is protected w/something that won't dry away after it absorbs into my skin. I love coconut oil but it has the tendency to dry out my skin after a period of use, so I can't use it for winter dryness.

I pat a micro-thin layer of this after my treatment serum while my face is still dewy from washing & it seals in the moisture. I haven't noticed any changes in my skin's appearance but I like the ease of moisturizing w/this (my skincare routine is simple) & it doesn't block my pores. Looking forward to buying a larger bottle from Brazil for body use, esp. on my legs & feet. Makes a really nice cuticle oil too.

I wish this had a fruity smell to it to make it more appealing...maybe I'll try adding a bit of scented essential oil for body use.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 1:54:00 AM More reviews by msmanetti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin loves this oil. I have been using it for 2 months now and found it on my search for a more natural moisturiser (I'm trying to go organic/natural in my household on shampoo/handwash/body wash/moisturiser/toothpaste :). I purchased 30ml/1 ounze from Oca-Brazil's website for AU$9.50. I actually thought that was quite inexpensive considering how much I use at each time and how long it lasts (and also I have spent much more on less effective products). I haven't used anything other brands of Maracuja as yet. The one from Oca Brazil is a light to medium yellow colour, has a lovely fresh fruity smell, glides on smoothly (I use about 4 or 5 'drops' for my face and neck area each night. I have definately noticed a difference in the texture of my skin, my acne marks look less noticeable, skin is much smoother and softer and even toned. It feels lightweight on and sinks in quite quickly. The only thing for me is I don't think it will be enough hydration for me in the colder winter months, I will have to put something on top of this. No biggie though. The biggest bonus? This does not break me out or bring on any dermititis, and I have super sensitive skin. I also use it on my feet and hand nails with some good success. One of my big toe nails was splitting/tearing on the sides constantly, maracuja on it religiously every night for 2 weeks (and now I just do it as part of my after shower routine) has healed it up beautifully. Would absolutely repurchase and next time will buy double/triple the amount :)